General January update has dropped.

Search This thread

johninsf

I did the January update yesterday and MMS didn't work afterward so did a factory reset to fix it. I posted about this and got good pointers on how to fix it.

This update has REALLY improved my mobile connectivity. The phone isn't constantly polling 5G like it was before and it hands off between 5G, 5G UC and LTE much better.

There are a couple locations where signal is weird and it drops down to H+.

I'm really glad that this appears to have addressed the majority of my signal issues.

almahix

I'm still trying to get the update from system->system updates. It starts downloading, but after about a minute it stops and says it cannot continue. I haven't done the side load (yet) as I'm trying to see if the built in update works. Has anyone gotten it to update without side loading?

stephanstricker

Sep 4, 2010
Bluetooth issues exist with the January update. FP is slightly better than before but still far away from a good experience. I still have to try multiple times too often to get the phone unlock.

Mtha86

Feb 28, 2018
Really? I cant see much diffrence.. i even thought stanbdy drain would be a little better than before 😄

zhuanyi

Jan 19, 2008
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Is there any way to update using Flash Tool (or any other update method) but could get the SafetyNet fix for Magisk applied immediately? Every time I use Flash Tool my P6P ended up getting rebooted and showing SafetyNet failed and in Google Pay all the credit cards gets removed automatically and have to be re-added again. I remember in the past you can lock down attest values in dg.db (in /data/data/com.google.android.gms/databases) but looking at it now it seems that DB has got much smaller and no row has "attest" in the first column.

Also not sure if it is related but my Samsung Galaxy watch also need to be reset and re-added as well after every update (the watch would simply show disconnected) - is there a way to avoid this?

Last edited:

LLStarks

Jun 1, 2012
Mobile connections and calls are still looking good. No drops at all. Fingerprint reader is better and doesn't require multiple registrations but it still sucks in certain situations like cold hands.

I still can't figure out serial and modem port communication for this phone. They don't seem to accept any kind of low-level communication over USB. I hope they're not vestigial interfaces since I really want to poke around in there.

• Wow
Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
I started the update with it plugged in and left it updating and charging overnight. I unplugged it in the morning, restarted the device as per update instructions, within 30 seconds of unplugging. I used it the same way as normal throughout the day and ended with a displayed 19% on screen.

Battery level currently on 72%, so it might have been a one off by the looks.
Cool, hopefully, it continues working well for you.

I'm still trying to get the update from system->system updates. It starts downloading, but after about a minute it stops and says it cannot continue. I haven't done the side load (yet) as I'm trying to see if the built in update works. Has anyone gotten it to update without side loading?
My wife has and some others in this forum section have, yes. I'm rooted so I manually updated.

Did anyone lose the weather off of the lockscreen after the update?
The weather is still there for me.

Reactions: thacounty

RetroTech07

Apr 24, 2021
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
My FP works just fine. You just don't know how to use it.
Oh boy; before this gets out of hand, let's try to keep it civil please.
The OTA didn't work for me and I had to sideload via ADB. After that it was fine and I kept root after patching the new boot img.

jasbur17

Sep 1, 2008
Over the last couple of days I had 2 voicemails that just showed up. My phone never rang when they called. Who knows how many other calls that never rang and they didn't leave a voicemail. It could be a coincidence but I didn't have the issue before the update.

TonikJDK

Dec 9, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Over the last couple of days I had 2 voicemails that just showed up. My phone never rang when they called. Who knows how many other calls that never rang and they didn't leave a voicemail. It could be a coincidence but I didn't have the issue before the update.

Were they spam, or possibly identified as spam? Depending on your settings spam calls will be sent straight to voicemail.

Matterhorn

Nov 29, 2004
Google Pixel 3
The "developer options" disappeared from the phone menu. I just checked the LDAC 990 setting yesterday so I know it was there. I forgot to charge my phone last night so it went dead. I charged it and developer options vanished. I had to activate it again...strange.

• Wow

Android-Desire

Sep 17, 2010
Copenhagen
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Issues :
No 5g, LTE+ or Volte support in my country even through it should be in the listed supported countries.
Android Auto playing music on this phone sometimes it just cut out, only this phone does it, the Oneplus 8t, Oneplus 9 and Samsung S21 Ultra and iPhone 13 all those phones have 0 issues with the car app.
January update made the device slower now, stutter in apps that did not happen on december update.

I am gonna wait to see if the Samsung S22 Ultra this time around gets Snapdragon in my region if not then another device i will look for.
Google has had far more time then needed to fix issues and letting us be "testers" is not acceptable, we brought the phone, we give them our information on what we search, our gps info and more! and makes even more money on that, hell i even pay for Google One and not the small but the big 10TB subscription.
Which is a thing of the past now.

Sim back in a phone that works.

almahix

I'm just so frustrated with this phone. I have had nexus and pixel phones and always considered them the gold standard. After this p6p disaster I don't think if ever buy another. I'm having all kinds of issues withe the December build, and I've read that they still exist in the January build. I am so close to posting it for sale on craigslist. (I refuse to use Swappa because they require God awful ebay.)

• Wow

Top Liked Posts