[JAX SLX7786] Android 4.4 Head Unit - RK3188, 1GB RAM, 1024x600

Search This thread

kylemd

Aug 13, 2015
Sydney
wow looking good!

does the music app look better too!?

It will look better when I remove those huge home and back shortcuts in the status bar. I feel the capacitive keys do the job fine so why should they be there?

As my car is RHD the capacitive keys are too far from the drivers seat as well. Currently looking at ways to get a permanent soft key bar on the right hand side to fix this, will likely be in an app that I'll post later.

The music app isn't great - mostly because of the way it handles landscape mode - it's just there as it's FOSS and to act as a fallback in case something happens to your preferred player. Car Launcher Pro and Poweramp work well together, but I don't like Poweramp aside from that. Shuttle looks and works better but isn't compatible with home screen controls in Car Launcher Pro.

nguyentoogood

Feb 9, 2014
I know you said certain bugs still remain however because you replaced the music app with something else, does this mean that the forward button and back button is still operational with the swc.
That's a big thing for me

kylemd

Aug 13, 2015
Sydney
I know you said certain bugs still remain however because you replaced the music app with something else, does this mean that the forward button and back button is still operational with the swc.
That's a big thing for me

No it isn't, but I am looking into getting that working. I've decompiled JAXSettings and am looking through it in an effort to figure out how it triggers keystrokes/keyevents.I'm thinking of PM'ing Malaysk for some help with that.

I can post and/or reintegrate the stock music app if you like?

loza1

Nov 8, 2016
I am the happy owner of the device on RK 3188 (885-1607061712-WQ-16EN). All of the above applies to my device. Decided to flash firmware for devices RK 3188 from the forum 4PDA, the result was mirrored display on the X-axis and disabled the touch of a button. I want to ask kylemd firmware backup.

kylemd

Aug 13, 2015
Sydney
I am the happy owner of the device on RK 3188 (885-1607061712-WQ-16EN). All of the above applies to my device. Decided to flash firmware for devices RK 3188 from the forum 4PDA, the result was mirrored display on the X-axis and disabled the touch of a button. I want to ask kylemd firmware backup.

Not sure if you need a firmware backup from me, or you want to know how to back up your device :confused:

Can you please take a screenshot or photo of the CanSettings > JaxSettings > System > About page for me? Password is 1234. Just want to confirm that you have the correct unit first (although it seems like it)

What car is the unit in?

loza1

Nov 8, 2016
view

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

Not sure if you need a firmware backup from me, or you want to know how to back up your device :confused:

Can you please take a screenshot or photo of the CanSettings > JaxSettings > System > About page for me? Password is 1234. Just want to confirm that you have the correct unit first (although it seems like it)

What car is the unit in?

I lost the PM with your backup of photos

loza1

Nov 8, 2016
To collect the firmware from your backup, I tried to extract from backup.img file parameter, but I couldn't. Perhaps because of this file I have the above problem.

kylemd

Aug 13, 2015
Sydney
To collect the firmware from your backup, I tried to extract from backup.img file parameter, but I couldn't. Perhaps because of this file I have the above problem.

The parameter file just tells the flash/SD tool what partitions it should write. If it's incorrect, the unit won't boot from the SD card.

I will have a closer look at your backup shortly, but flashing my custom ROM should get everything booting and working at least :)

kylemd

Aug 13, 2015
Sydney
@loza1 just compared your backup with the latest base we have, it's identical except for the English specific apps, the Busybox install and root. Try flashing the custom ROM and let me know if that solves your problems.
@nguyentoogood I've got a chance to have a look at your backup today as well. Stay tuned.
@rizu3544 can we keep discussion in the thread please :) anybody who has flashed the custom ROM, can you let me know if the Radio app locks up for you? I may need to revert to the old APK. Cheers!

rizu3544

Nov 6, 2016
Riyadh
@rizu3544 can we keep discussion in the thread please :) anybody who has flashed the custom ROM, can you let me know if the Radio app locks up for you? I may need to revert to the old APK. Cheers!
As discussed, after the installation of new custom ROM, it locks at Radio app.
Once the device is ON, it goes directly to Radio app and it locks (HANG).
It happens on every boot.

kylemd

Aug 13, 2015
Sydney
As discussed, after the installation of new custom ROM, it locks at Radio app.
Once the device is ON, it goes directly to Radio app and it locks (HANG).
It happens on every boot.

Cool, clears things up for me a bit. My unit does go directly to the radio app, but doesn't lock up - it might have something to do with my unit not having any radio in it.

I'll do a test build with the Accord Radio.apk in it and send it to you and see if that works. :good:

EDIT - The Accord8 ROM doesn't seem to have any radio APK file in it at all. Do you get radio with your unit? It may be running through your MCU over the CANBUS.

If this is the case I'll need people to test whether the ROM boots or not, and what JAX functions work (if any). I may need to distribute the stock ROM without any JAX programs, integrate Flashfire into the ROM, and provide flashable ZIPs for each models' different CAN settings depending on results.

Last edited:

rizu3544

Nov 6, 2016
Riyadh
@rizu3544 I've compiled a ROM with no JAX settings APKs. Could you please flash this and let me know if it fixes your boot problem?
Thanks for your efforts bro..
But even this ROM is has same issue, it HANG's at Radio app.
The only difference I had observe was, last ROM (I can see HOME & BACK button on top), latest ROM (I cannot see HOME & BACK button) and the rest is same issue.
This JUNSUN ROM is perfect without any issues

Last edited:
Reactions: pokyboo

loza1

Nov 8, 2016
Tested after installation in the car. Everything works, but there are problems with radio playback when activated CarLauncher (lost sound). (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6e6wRoYCymAVlBUZ2NXMWN5YnM)

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

Good to hear!

Could you please post where you bought your unit from so we can add it as a confirmed SLX7786 unit?
Contact the seller with a request to send the firmware, and received a negative response.

At this time this product from the seller anymore, the link for my order. (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6e6wRoYCymASW5lby1tbElubW8)

Last edited:

kylemd

Aug 13, 2015
Sydney
But even this ROM is has same issue, it HANG's at Radio app.

Are you sure you flashed the right one? It's this one here. There is no Radio.apk in this version so you shouldn't be seeing it at all!

That firmware has all the JAX APKs removed, so volume and source control won't work with this firmware. It's just to test that the base ROM boots OK on your unit.

Once we have it booting OK I can get you to install Flashfire and we can start troubleshooting which JAX apps are causing your problem.

The only difference I had observe was, last ROM (I can see HOME & BACK button on top), latest ROM (I cannot see HOME & BACK button) and the rest is same issue.

Ah, that's my bad. I'm working on SystemUI.apk to remove the home and back buttons. Is the clock and bluetooth icons still visible?

Again, all fixable through a flashable zip, so try flashing the test firmware above again.

Tested after installation in the car. Everything works, but there are problems with radio playback when activated CarLauncher (lost sound). (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6e6wRoYCymAVlBUZ2NXMWN5YnM)

Ah, didn't realise the Radio app had the same issue as the Host app.

As far as I can gather the reason that happens is because the Radio app is streaming from a different source through the MCU. When you exit the app it detects that you've changed source (back to Android) so it switches it off.

I'm going to have a play at some point with AppOps and see if I can get the Host program to not shut off when another app is opened (the same method would work for Radio). Ideally if I could get a dev with reverse engineering skills to jump on board I'd really like to have it set up so when you're playing through these sources you can choose to shut it off through the notification panel.

T
Contact the seller with a request to send the firmware, and received a negative response.

At this time this product from the seller anymore, the link for my order. (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6e6wRoYCymASW5lby1tbElubW8)

Thanks for that, added to my notes :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is dedicated to discussion, research and mods for the JAX SLX7786 Head Unit range.

What is it?

The JAX SLX7786 is a series of touchscreen Android 4.4 head unit. The most common size reported is 10.1", although 9" models have been seen in the wild.

The common characteristics of these head units are:

Specifications
    OS Android 4.4.4
    CPU RK3188 series (PX3)
    Cores 4 cores
    MHz 1.6GHz
    RAM series DDR3
    RAM capacity 1G
    ROM series iNand Flash
    ROM capacity 16G
    Double SD card/MuIti-Media Maximum capacity: 64G
    Screen Size Different Car DVD model different size (Edit: this particular one is 10.2")
    Screen Resolution 1024*600
    Screen Panel CTP (Capacity Touch Panel)
    GPS module GPS/Beidou
    WIFI Built-in(IEEE 802.1 lb/g/n)
    3G Unicom/Telecom/Moblie(Adapter)
    USB(Port) 3 pieces USB2.0(Extensible)
    SD card slot 2 pieces
    Moblie HD Support FAT/NTFS

Who makes them?

Good question. As far as I can gather it's a similar arrangement to the MTCB units; a number of manufacturers sell the unit based off of a central reference design. Who makes the reference design, and therefore who holds the kernel source, I do not know.

How can I get one?

The main place I have seen these for sale has been Aliexpress; most of the 10.1" units on the market seem to be this particular unit/ROM. The only other 10.1" units on the market (as far as I'm aware) are Joying units and pretty clearly marked as such.

The only surefire way to make sure it is a SLX7786 unit is to get the seller to send you a photo or screenshot of the build number under the System -> About page and check whether it matches the build mentioned below.

I think I already have one. How can I tell?

The easiest way to tell is looking at the System -> About page on the unit. If your build number contains the following then you have a SLX7786 unit:

VWdbWSC.png

JAX or 885 as first three characters, and
    Contains WQ-16EN

The full details of the build number are as follows:

[VENDOR]-[YY][MM][DD][HH][MM][0G]-WQ-16EN-[CARMAKE]

Where:

[VENDOR] = JAX or 885. Unsure why this changes from unit to unit, assuming different vendors.
    [YY] = Build year, [MM] = build month and so on.
    [0G] = String may or may not appear depending on model
    [WQ] = Assuming this is OEM, like KLD and JY is for MTCB units
    [16] = Not sure
    [EN] = English ROM
    [CARMAKE] = M6 for Mazda 6, ACCORD8 for Honda Accord, etc

How can I help XDA development?
    • Ask the seller for the most recent update, citing the bugs listed below. Share link with me via PM, or upload to Google Drive and PM me the link.
    • Do a full backup with Partitions Backup (excluding /user and /userdata), upload to Google Drive and PM me the link.
    • Take pictures of hardware internals
    • Help us solve who designed these units!
    • Help us port TWRP recovery to these units!
    • Help us port CM to these units!
    • Help us build a custom kernel from the Rockchip source!
    Bugs, quirks, guides and FAQs

Bugs and quirks
    • Can't switch screen off.
    • Can't map steering wheel Vol+ and Vol- at the same time Need to select "Mode 2" under wheel controls.
    • Can't run >3 apps simultaneously Switch to a 3rd party launcher such as Car Launcher Pro to fix this.
    • Auto-brightness doesn't work Doesn't appear to be an auto-brightness sensor installed.
    • Can't use other audio sources and apps simultaneously.
    • Can't change default music app
      [*]Can't access ADB or Fastboot, despite ADB daemon running!

Guides

FAQs
    • What's the password for the JAX system page? 1234.
    • How do I install SuperSU? Install kylemd's custom ROM.
    • How do I get Xposed? Take your pants off Install kylemd's custom ROM.
    • How do I get Viper4Android? Install kylemd's custom ROM.

Tools and utilities
    Software and apps

IntentKeys - makes track skip, pause and voice keys work.
    Dear kylemd,
    Is it possible to change the existing default music player with new music player and default Home screen with new Home screen ?
    Because, Music Player looks very old and the home screen looks laggy.

Music player: Yes, although you can't use steering wheel controls to skip tracks. I'm using Poweramp.

Home screen: yes, just install another launcher and it will ask you if you want to change launchers the first time you press home. Select the one you downloaded and click "always". Personally I'm using Car Launcher Pro and it works fantastic (and has on screen music controls) although it's a paid app. See the picture of my setup for a preview.
    Hey i would like to add some technical issues i have with this rom.

1.)I like to confirm that you can not use the back and forward track buttons on other apps than the stock app provided.
    2.) Under the car settings jax menu, entering the password 1234 grants you access to additional features. My gain controls in these menu do nothing. Bluetooth source isn't any louder, aux etc when adjusted.
    3.)Was not able to change the default music app with a skin version or anything. (tried to remove via root, the installed a musicskin.apk in the system folder.
    4.) Steering wheel controls is buggy, had to fiddle with it on different days until all the buttons are map, then no problem
    5.)Viper4Android does not work with the stock apps (radio,bt, music, video). Works on some apps when i first installed it, reinstall doesn't work on some. Buggy

1.) Was able to root with KingRoot.

FJCJNeRftYC4GzwaLT5VAwe64fivcZk5rF0LTVxX3pvdLRDPoIH_I_ROtVi-bV4gjJsGICzCCHX_yaqQ0tEbisPdykehHcypVIyao1irm8DbUYFF-J59mw1iF6H4aPS4AIAsLQuAGyDaapu6CrQvcPZ8Xhf9fgq2PHbdY-Yflj0Hb-42UbPdMsMpE2ZFoG4qgCtZmbXi0Ut_Vd1UziTxSetzVO5r3vGsYHnaoQOxo2dvVf35sB7841dxWiKoYjfPcC5ZBc_89j7yvovHM79FEPbv7ZFA9X4XUvu9SrPGgcrDK6X6ZfHwX83E25ZqAVebAvalkDm7ff3M8hXAGT_7ZQWuuVVCVUUu2Uj9zKfa0R8wgoyZGnpW9nfqH_1eKgWfRGf6SeN2ZLam5G4ZPIn6YbgU4hMSlVt9-Z_htUjuNq-lxrdwI5ZwbNw_QcooGi1TETtjmbDDhPeW33BSLc2iINdtrdKnM8jl9QUgZV1DgPoDKhRsQmpnDJSc8H4L-8N4dhqTOQP0_lgNybddIguVw7xxDlMr5oS8wyKYQ1g3O3MGlsmZlTrFPdhKcS9lTfkBwFB50yorAk0SDwE-WELrzP7e8fi67bG9u1RGKWOIZQQd-nyjOg=w609-h1082-no