• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

JB 4.1.2 and Camera Driver

Search This thread

GrayJack

Sep 16, 2012
Silent Hill
Hi All!

I am not sure this topic was not discussed so if I am double-posting - sorry!

Anyway I was informed someone expects problem with camera after update to 4.1.2.

The reason is the firmware contains updated driver which is not pre-installed in the phone because the firmware is actually a dump.

I would like to explain the way I performed to solve the problem (now I have GT-i9300 with 4.1.2 and working stock Camera (both video/photo) and other camera applications also).

First of all: make a Nandroid backup! I have tested all the steps but I cannot guaranty everything will work properly in your case.

Second - I can help with GT-i9300 only. If you have other device - sorry. Maybe this receipt works - maybe not, I don't know.

1. Please dial in stock dialer the following: *#34971539#
2. In menu please choose Phone/CAM FW Ver Check
We need to know your two parameters: Cam FW Ver and Phone FW Ver.
Cam FW Ver is a version of driver installed in your phone. Phone FW Ver is a version which comes with a firmware. Usually firmware's one is newer. In my case it was
Rear Camera ZDFE02
Phone FW ZDFI02

3. You have to download newer driver. In my example I had to download ZDFI02 driver - and I believe everybody will have the same issue because this is the driver which comes with leaked 4.1.2. In other way I suspect you have mixed up something to make Camera working - I suggest to re-burn the firmware again. Anyway - you are free to test.

Be careful! There are other camera vendors exists - and it is easy to detect by first two letters of driver version (in our case it is ZD). If you have other vendor - please download appropriate driver.

After you have download the archive you have to unpack the file named "SlimISP.bin" on your sdcard (internal one).
Then dial *#34971539# once again and choose Phone to CAM FW Write (Rear) (if you have unpacked the file properly - this button will become active). Flashing will take about 20-30 seconds - please be patient.

After flashing finishes exit the Camera Firmware menu and enter it once again (*#34971539#). Choose Phone/CAM FW Ver Check
Check again above-mentioned two parameters: Cam FW Ver and Phone FW Ver. If you are lucky enough they will be equal and the process completed successfully.

The source is 4pda forum (and all thanks should be addressed to them and Pako777 individually).

Attachments

• ZDFF03.zip
    162.5 KB · Views: 3,797
  • ZDFI02.zip
    162.4 KB · Views: 15,500
  • ZDFE02.zip
    161.7 KB · Views: 8,073
  • GCFC13.zip
    160.8 KB · Views: 1,084
  • GDFE01.zip
    158.4 KB · Views: 1,049
  • GDFE02_JPN.zip
    158.6 KB · Views: 790
  • GDFF02.zip
    159.2 KB · Views: 934
  • GDFF03.zip
    159.5 KB · Views: 1,530
  • GDFI02.zip
    158.6 KB · Views: 4,371
  • GEFC13.zip
    159.2 KB · Views: 625
  • GJFG01.zip
    158.9 KB · Views: 644
  • GKFH10.zip
    159.6 KB · Views: 684
  • ZCFC13.zip
    159.4 KB · Views: 654
  • GKFI03_NoteII.zip
    159.4 KB · Views: 821
  • GKFI01_NoteII.zip
    159.7 KB · Views: 589
  • ZDFE03_JPN.zip
    161.5 KB · Views: 859
  • ZDFF02.zip
    161.9 KB · Views: 1,100
  • ZEFC13.zip
    157.8 KB · Views: 676
  • ZKFH10.zip
    161.3 KB · Views: 900
  • ZKFI01_NoteII.zip
    161.7 KB · Views: 1,257
Last edited:

GrayJack

Sep 16, 2012
Silent Hill
Be carefull!

Gt-i9300 could come with 2 different camera hardware: one from sony and one from samsung

It is the same thing with the camera firmwares:ZD and GD
Mine has GDFF03

For those who have GD firmwares: do not use files in first post!
Yes you are right. First post updated, one driver I could not attach (I have 21 of them) - here it is.

EDITED: GHFJ02 and firmwares added, all credits to matthessimo for this.

Attachments

• ZKFI03_NoteII.zip
    161.6 KB · Views: 644
  • BHFJ02.zip
    156.7 KB · Views: 1,036
  • GHFJ02.zip
    156.7 KB · Views: 609
Last edited:

GrayJack

Sep 16, 2012
Silent Hill
Thank your for making this great guide.
I have GDFF03. do I have to update?

Send from my Omega ROM powered SGS3 :)

Once again: the main idea is to make Cam FW Ver and Phone FW Ver equal. If your GDFF03 is this value in both parameters - everything should work.

But once again - after my update to 4.1.2 I see later ..FI02 version of the driver - but from another vendor. So I am a little bit surprised you have GDFF03, not GDFI02.

Anyway - I repeat: the main idea is not to update to latest version, but to make them equal.

Reactions: FeuchtVonLipwig

riso123

Dec 3, 2010
How will I know if I have a problem? Everything is working fine for me...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

v1rtu4l

Jul 18, 2008
it is really a non issue, because the only "problem" there would be after the update, is that you can not use the "flash phone to cam FW" option in that hidden menu. since no one ever did report an increase in quality after flashing another FW from phone to cam i do not see the point, but YES, after update the option to flash from phone to cam is greyed out.

CAM FW: GDFF02
Phone FW: GDFI02

ISP Ver :CML0801-M0

to clarify what the original poster forget to say... you will not have problems with your using/operating the camera after using the leaked JB 4.1.2, you simply do not have the option to flash a new firmware version for the cam onto it

Reactions: amgonzalez

Idan73

Jul 19, 2010
it is really a non issue, because the only "problem" there would be after the update, is that you can not use the "flash phone to cam FW" option in that hidden menu. since no one ever did report an increase in quality after flashing another FW from phone to cam i do not see the point, but YES, after update the option to flash from phone to cam is greyed out.

CAM FW: GDFF02
Phone FW: GDFI02

ISP Ver :CML0801-M0

to clarify what the original poster forget to say... you will not have problems with your using/operating the camera after using the leaked JB 4.1.2, you simply do not have the option to flash a new firmware version for the cam onto it

I disagree. There's definitely difference in pictures comparing June drivers gdfe01 and latest ones. Whether the changes are always for the better is debatable cause I hated gdff03 white balance but night shots were much better.

I'm on 4.1.1 Indian lj5 and have just updated to gdfi02, hopefully they have better white balance.
If the driver is not in cam firmware the camera is simply not using it...

When I updated the cam driver, phone firmware matched it even after deleting bin file from sd card although flash button became greyed out which is fine now.

So now lj5 with gdfi02 on cam and phone firmware.
Testing JKay alpha on GT-I9300

Last edited:

v1rtu4l

Jul 18, 2008
I disagree. There's definitely difference in pictures comparing June drivers and latest ones. Whether the changes are always for the better is debatable cause I hated gdff03 white balance but night shots were much better.

I'm on 4.1.1 Indian lj5 and have just updated to gdfi02, hopefully they have better white balance.

When I updated the cam driver, phone firmware matched it even after deleting bin file from sd card.

it is very debatable if there is any difference at all. there are several threads about this already where people upgraded their firmware or even flashed the firmware of the sony module onto phones with samsung camera module and apart from the obvious confirmation bias that was to be expected there was no proof for a change. no one did ever check this under even remotely "professional" circumstances. taking photos with 5 seconds difference will result in 2 different photos already without the change of firmware. if you do not control all things that factor into the resulting photo you can not say what leads to the photo. i upgraded according to this thread but did not see any difference.

to make sure that it is really the firmware change that leads to other results you would have needed to put your phone on a tripod and shot photos in similar circumstances with both firmwares

of course everyone may believe what they like. i personally put this into the same category like "OMG i flashed the new firmware and now my phone is faster", because people get used to the slower speed of a phone with all apps and services running and then get overwhelmed by a phone after a wipe flash that is faster then before (which has nothing to do with the firmware itself)

Idan73

Jul 19, 2010
I agree with everything you just said, but I still disagree, if that makes sense cause I still stand behind everything I said.
:)

Last edited:

tisazalay

Mar 17, 2012
Panama
Thanks for the info.

I have several questions.

1. If I flash will the counters reset or will they remain changed?
2. I applied the fix for using with siyah and everything is working now. Is it recommended to still apply?
3. Does the firmware change when new Samsung ROMs come out? Is it related to the leaks for example or is it built from factory and stays the same no matter what rom.

Thanks for the help. As I wrote, my cameras are working fine but there's a difference in phone and cam being phone newer.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

GrayJack

Sep 16, 2012
Silent Hill
1. If I flash will the counters reset or will they remain changed?
2. I applied the fix for using with siyah and everything is working now. Is it recommended to still apply?
3. Does the firmware change when new Samsung ROMs come out? Is it related to the leaks for example or is it built from factory and stays the same no matter what rom.

1. Changing driver is not changing firmware. So counters will not be changed.
2. See above - there is a discussion of the pictures quality with different versions of driver :) Personally - I love newest versions and I hate unofficial "mods" and "fixes". But sure it's up to you and if it works well - leave it working :)
3. Driver - not firmware. Yes it could - and update process will be automatic. The problem with 4.1.2 appeared because it is not a firmware but the dump. That's why you have to kick it's ass to update the driver manually.

Reactions: tisazalay

PIRATA!

Dec 6, 2010
1. Changing driver is not changing firmware. So counters will not be changed.
2. See above - there is a discussion of the pictures quality with different versions of driver :) Personally - I love newest versions and I hate unofficial "mods" and "fixes". But sure it's up to you and if it works well - leave it working :)
3. Driver - not firmware. Yes it could - and update process will be automatic. The problem with 4.1.2 appeared because it is not a firmware but the dump. That's why you have to kick it's ass to update the driver manually.
I have to remind all you guys that this fix was first intended for those people that where using alt kernel like Siyah as video recording becomes buggy if using that kernel on last leaked, so if you're using stock kernel you might not have any issue with leaked rom installed.

About the fact of upgrading on a non buggy device so to have last drivers/mach codes, well it's up to you.

I'll install last leaked soon and for sure use Siyah, so as there is that video recording bug I must apply this fix!

About my situation...I am on stock XXDLJ4 and I have now:
Cam FW Ver: GDFD06
Phone FW Ver: GDFF03

Must I update drivers once I'll be on leaked, right??
Which should I use as I'm on GD???

Thank you very much.

Sent from my GT-i9300XXDLJ4 using XDA app

PIRATA!

Dec 6, 2010

So reinstalling the same one I have now??

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 AM ----------

I just made a video recording nite and it seems good.
It's this quite enough to say that with my stock XXDLJ4 with last Siyah I'm not affected with the video recording bug, so to use it as a comparable situation when I'll flash over last leaked and last Siyah???

PIRATA!

Dec 6, 2010
Ok...but maybe you misunderstood that I'm not on leaked now...
When I'll be in leaked I think I'll have:

Cam FW Ver: GDFD06
Phone FW Ver: ZDFI02

...right???

So when I'll be on last leaked I should install GDFF03 so to have the same situation as I have now on my stock XXDLJ4???

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All!

I am not sure this topic was not discussed so if I am double-posting - sorry!

Anyway I was informed someone expects problem with camera after update to 4.1.2.

The reason is the firmware contains updated driver which is not pre-installed in the phone because the firmware is actually a dump.

I would like to explain the way I performed to solve the problem (now I have GT-i9300 with 4.1.2 and working stock Camera (both video/photo) and other camera applications also).

First of all: make a Nandroid backup! I have tested all the steps but I cannot guaranty everything will work properly in your case.

Second - I can help with GT-i9300 only. If you have other device - sorry. Maybe this receipt works - maybe not, I don't know.

1. Please dial in stock dialer the following: *#34971539#
    2. In menu please choose Phone/CAM FW Ver Check
    We need to know your two parameters: Cam FW Ver and Phone FW Ver.
    Cam FW Ver is a version of driver installed in your phone. Phone FW Ver is a version which comes with a firmware. Usually firmware's one is newer. In my case it was
    Rear Camera ZDFE02
    Phone FW ZDFI02

3. You have to download newer driver. In my example I had to download ZDFI02 driver - and I believe everybody will have the same issue because this is the driver which comes with leaked 4.1.2. In other way I suspect you have mixed up something to make Camera working - I suggest to re-burn the firmware again. Anyway - you are free to test.

Be careful! There are other camera vendors exists - and it is easy to detect by first two letters of driver version (in our case it is ZD). If you have other vendor - please download appropriate driver.

After you have download the archive you have to unpack the file named "SlimISP.bin" on your sdcard (internal one).
    Then dial *#34971539# once again and choose Phone to CAM FW Write (Rear) (if you have unpacked the file properly - this button will become active). Flashing will take about 20-30 seconds - please be patient.

After flashing finishes exit the Camera Firmware menu and enter it once again (*#34971539#). Choose Phone/CAM FW Ver Check
    Check again above-mentioned two parameters: Cam FW Ver and Phone FW Ver. If you are lucky enough they will be equal and the process completed successfully.

The source is 4pda forum (and all thanks should be addressed to them and Pako777 individually).
    Be carefull!

Gt-i9300 could come with 2 different camera hardware: one from sony and one from samsung

Mine has GDFF03

Be carefull!

Mine has GDFF03

Yes you are right. First post updated, one driver I could not attach (I have 21 of them) - here it is.

EDITED: GHFJ02 and firmwares added, all credits to matthessimo for this.
    Guys i have those drivers

Cam FW Ver: ZDFE02
    Phone FW Ver: ZDFF03

What should i change here guys?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

I had the same configuration, I downloaded ZDFF03 and followed the steps described in the OP and everything worked.

ONE BIG WARNING THOUGH, since I asked it and was answered otherwise,

Before you apply you can check FW Write Count, mine showed Rear (0:0) Front (0:0), after this, mine shows Rear (0:1) Front (0:0).

So sadly the counter did get changed, I wish there was a way to revert that but I don't know how. Just take it into account. The camera is working fine. I think it would be nice if the OP included the warning that the flash counter will be increased.

EDIT: I just found how to get it back to 0:0

The easiest method is to go to Settings - Application Manager - choose tab "All" - and find the FactoryTest.apk and just do a clear data.

So that would be a final step recommended for paranoid people like me. Now everything is perfect :)
    I disagree. There's definitely difference in pictures comparing June drivers and latest ones. Whether the changes are always for the better is debatable cause I hated gdff03 white balance but night shots were much better.

When I updated the cam driver, phone firmware matched it even after deleting bin file from sd card.

it is very debatable if there is any difference at all. there are several threads about this already where people upgraded their firmware or even flashed the firmware of the sony module onto phones with samsung camera module and apart from the obvious confirmation bias that was to be expected there was no proof for a change. no one did ever check this under even remotely "professional" circumstances. taking photos with 5 seconds difference will result in 2 different photos already without the change of firmware. if you do not control all things that factor into the resulting photo you can not say what leads to the photo. i upgraded according to this thread but did not see any difference.

to make sure that it is really the firmware change that leads to other results you would have needed to put your phone on a tripod and shot photos in similar circumstances with both firmwares

of course everyone may believe what they like. i personally put this into the same category like "OMG i flashed the new firmware and now my phone is faster", because people get used to the slower speed of a phone with all apps and services running and then get overwhelmed by a phone after a wipe flash that is faster then before (which has nothing to do with the firmware itself)