[JB:CM10][24/09/2012] Custom GAPPS Normal/Inverted - Free some space in /system!

Search This thread

J_M_V_S

Mar 11, 2012
Buenos Aires
www.hsws.com.ar
WANT TO TRY SOMETHING NEW? HEAD OVER HEREhttp://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1913989
AROMA INSTALLER - Custom gapps for Defy / Defy+ / Bravo​

What is this for?
It's a custom version of the Google Apps designed to install most of the apps on the /data partition and therefore freeing some space up on the /system partition. This is because with the increasing size of roms and gapps there may be no space left as the system partition only holds ~350MB​

How do I install this?
This is a customizable file (thanks to Aroma Installer) in which you can choose which apps to install. There are a some files that need to go into /system but there are others that you can have installed in /data without any problems. Just follow the instructions and you'll be fine.​

Can I install on top of my full size gapps?
In theory it should be possible. What the scripts does is install what you selected and UNINSTALL what you have not selected. Meaning that if you have ie YouTube installed on you don't select it in the script it will get UNINSTALLED. In this case you should run the script twice, one for deleting all the apps and then run it again (no need to reboot) and select the apps to install.​

Want to help with translation?
You can do it here: http://www.getlocalization.com/CustomGoogleApps/. If you have any doubts or prefer to translate directly from the English file let me know.
BETA USERS: Please go to http://www.getlocalization.com/gEx/ to translate the upcoming beta version​

Changelog
FAQ

Credits:

The following apps can be installed into the /data partition:

These can get installed to /system partition
  • ChromeBookmarksSyncAdapter
  • CarHome (not included in AnTerNoZ zip)
  • Gallery
  • Phonesky
  • Talk

The base files (always installed in /system)
  • GmsCore
  • GoogleBackupTransport
  • GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter
  • GoogleContactsSyncAdapter
  • GoogleFeedback
  • GoogleLoginService
  • GooglePartnerSetup
  • GoogleServicesFramework
  • GoogleTTS
  • LatinImeDictionaryPack
  • MediaUploader
  • NetworkLocation
  • OneTimeInitializer
  • SetupWizard

I've also added Bexton's script to remove unnecesary files related to Offline Voice Recognition for Google Now. This is specially recommended for non-English users. This alone will free up around ~30MB on /system.

Included are also the inverted apps (where available) by TUN_SD. Please note these inverted gapps needs to be installed into the /system partition.

Here's the zip:
chart

http://goo.gl/sp3Z6 (v1.3c)

What's next?
  • More translations (user supported)

PLEASE BEAR IN MIND I'VE BEEN A FATHER RECENTLY AND PROBABLY ABOUT TO LOSE MY JOB SO I WILL UPDATE THIS WHENEVER I HAVE A CHANCE

Last edited:

J_M_V_S

Mar 11, 2012
Buenos Aires
www.hsws.com.ar
changelog:

1.3c (24/09/2012)
- Added Serbian translation thanks to niksy+@XDA

1.3b (22/09/2012)
- Fixed script error on new installations

1.3 (19/09/2012)
- Fixed Google Talk install/uninstall
- Fixed Talkback install
- Moved Google Ears to /system
- Fixed Google Ears lock outside the US (thanks to tezet@XDA)
- Added inverted gapps (thanks to TUN_SD@XDA)
- Added automatic Cache & Dalvik Cache wiping
- Updated strings & small corrections to lang files

1.2b (18/09/2012)
- Cosmetic fixes
- License & changelog properly displaying now
- Fixed a few things in the lang files
- Moved back to /system Car Home, Gallery & Talk (they should work for everybody now)
- Moved Talkback to /data

1.2 (18/09/2012)
- Fixed GoogleEars uninstall
- Fixed Google Talk uninstall
- Reworked install script once again
- Properly named apps in data partition (should properly updated from Play Store)
- Added multilanguage support (English & Spanish so far)
- Added license & changelog
- Added version & size info for (almost) each app

1.1 (16/09/2012)
- Reworked install script (ability to install/uninstall)
- English language included (no hardcoded strings)
- Fixed Google Now Offline removing

1.0 (15/09/2012)
- First release (cheap & dirty) :)

Last edited:

J_M_V_S

Mar 11, 2012
Buenos Aires
www.hsws.com.ar
Faq / tips / notes

FAQ / TIPS / NOTES

• You should install the zip file via CWM: Recovery > Install zip from SD Card. Wiping of Cache/Dalvik is automatically handled by the script, you don't need to do anything.
  • if you're trying to customize an already installed full gaps you should run the script twice. First uninstall everything then run it again and
  • install what you want. You don't need to reboot, just uncheck "Reboot now" when you finish uninstalling in the 1st step.
  • Google Ears seems to be locked for people outside the US. The only way I can get it to work is to "unfreeze" it with Titanium Backup but it only last till the next reboot.
  • I do not plan to integrate non-Google inverted apps (like messages, phone, etc)
  • If the touch screen doesn't work or works erratically: When you run the installer, press the Home button and a menu should popup, select Calibration Tools using the Vol + / Vol - keys and selecting with Power button (just like recovery). You will be able to recalibrate the screen from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: KicknGuitar

niksy+

Jan 16, 2012
Great work, mate! :) And a nice idea, as well.

Btw, do tell what Phonesky is? Googleears?

And definitely looking forward to future updates with inverted apps and all!

J_M_V_S

Mar 11, 2012
Buenos Aires
www.hsws.com.ar
I'm uploading 1.2b to fix a few things with 1.2.

Please note that if you're trying to customize an already installed full gaps you should run the script twice. First uninstall everything then run it again and install what you want. You don't need to reboot, just uncheck "Reboot now" when you finish uninstalling in the 1st step.

nhb13612

Jun 13, 2012
[Noob Q] Hi, how do I do this? Should I install the zip file in Recovery? And, if so, is wiping cache and dalvik necessary? Or should I install Aroma Installer first? I have only 6mb left in my System ROM.

Sent from my MB525 running on CM10 12/09 with Minimal Gapps using xda premium

J_M_V_S

Mar 11, 2012
Buenos Aires
www.hsws.com.ar
[Noob Q] Hi, how do I do this? Should I install the zip file in Recovery? And, if so, is wiping cache and dalvik necessary? Or should I install Aroma Installer first? I have only 6mb left in my System ROM.

You should install the zip file in Recovery > Install zip from SD Card. Wiping of Cache/Dalvik is automatically handled by the script, you don't need to do anything. Finally Aroma is not something that you install, is used to CREATE an install, so you don't have to worry about it. Just install the zip via Recovery and follow the instructions!

J_M_V_S

Mar 11, 2012
Buenos Aires
www.hsws.com.ar
Really awesome. I just want the messages app in black, and im happy haha :good:

Glad you like it! Messages is not part of gapps but more a rom thing. I don't think I should be including it. Check the OP where I mention the post from TUN_SD to his inverted gapps. You can download that to have the full inverted gapps experience. Also, check the post by justin860 where he created an Aroma installation for that.

sebx_g1

Nov 6, 2009
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
@J_M_V_S --- I've installed v.1.3 over old gapps and I don't know if deleting apps and clearing cache and dalvik always work corectly - after first reboot nothing chanaged I still had system partition full , then I cleared cache and dalvik manualy from recovery rebooted and now occupied space on system was greatly reduced ? Thanks for your work .

J_M_V_S

Mar 11, 2012
Buenos Aires
www.hsws.com.ar
@J_M_V_S --- I've installed v.1.3 over old gapps and I don't know if deleting apps and clearing cache and dalvik always work corectly - after first reboot nothing chanaged I still had system partition full , then I cleared cache and dalvik manualy from recovery rebooted and now occupied space on system was greatly reduced ? Thanks for your work .

Thanks for letting me know. Did you install normal gapps or inverted?

J_M_V_S

Mar 11, 2012
Buenos Aires
www.hsws.com.ar
Bug

I just wanted to let everybody know that I found a bug in v1.3. If you install this on a newly installed ROM the data/app directory will not exist and therefore all apps selected that install on /data will fail. Not much of a problem as you can get them from Play Store but I'm uploading a new version to fix this and I'll update the OP.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WANT TO TRY SOMETHING NEW? HEAD OVER HEREhttp://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1913989
    AROMA INSTALLER - Custom gapps for Defy / Defy+ / Bravo​

What is this for?
    It's a custom version of the Google Apps designed to install most of the apps on the /data partition and therefore freeing some space up on the /system partition. This is because with the increasing size of roms and gapps there may be no space left as the system partition only holds ~350MB​

How do I install this?
    This is a customizable file (thanks to Aroma Installer) in which you can choose which apps to install. There are a some files that need to go into /system but there are others that you can have installed in /data without any problems. Just follow the instructions and you'll be fine.​

Can I install on top of my full size gapps?
    In theory it should be possible. What the scripts does is install what you selected and UNINSTALL what you have not selected. Meaning that if you have ie YouTube installed on you don't select it in the script it will get UNINSTALLED. In this case you should run the script twice, one for deleting all the apps and then run it again (no need to reboot) and select the apps to install.​

Want to help with translation?
    You can do it here: http://www.getlocalization.com/CustomGoogleApps/. If you have any doubts or prefer to translate directly from the English file let me know.
    BETA USERS: Please go to http://www.getlocalization.com/gEx/ to translate the upcoming beta version​

Changelog
    FAQ

Credits:

The following apps can be installed into the /data partition:

These can get installed to /system partition
    • ChromeBookmarksSyncAdapter
    • CarHome (not included in AnTerNoZ zip)
    • Gallery
    • Phonesky
    • Talk

The base files (always installed in /system)
    • GmsCore
    • GoogleBackupTransport
    • GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter
    • GoogleContactsSyncAdapter
    • GoogleFeedback
    • GoogleLoginService
    • GooglePartnerSetup
    • GoogleServicesFramework
    • GoogleTTS
    • LatinImeDictionaryPack
    • MediaUploader
    • NetworkLocation
    • OneTimeInitializer
    • SetupWizard

I've also added Bexton's script to remove unnecesary files related to Offline Voice Recognition for Google Now. This is specially recommended for non-English users. This alone will free up around ~30MB on /system.

Included are also the inverted apps (where available) by TUN_SD. Please note these inverted gapps needs to be installed into the /system partition.

Here's the zip:
    chart

http://goo.gl/sp3Z6 (v1.3c)

What's next?
    • More translations (user supported)

PLEASE BEAR IN MIND I'VE BEEN A FATHER RECENTLY AND PROBABLY ABOUT TO LOSE MY JOB SO I WILL UPDATE THIS WHENEVER I HAVE A CHANCE
    changelog:

1.3c (24/09/2012)
    - Added Serbian translation thanks to niksy+@XDA

1.3b (22/09/2012)
    - Fixed script error on new installations

1.3 (19/09/2012)
    - Fixed Google Talk install/uninstall
    - Fixed Talkback install
    - Moved Google Ears to /system
    - Fixed Google Ears lock outside the US (thanks to tezet@XDA)
    - Added inverted gapps (thanks to TUN_SD@XDA)
    - Added automatic Cache & Dalvik Cache wiping
    - Updated strings & small corrections to lang files

1.2b (18/09/2012)
    - Cosmetic fixes
    - License & changelog properly displaying now
    - Fixed a few things in the lang files
    - Moved back to /system Car Home, Gallery & Talk (they should work for everybody now)
    - Moved Talkback to /data

1.2 (18/09/2012)
    - Fixed GoogleEars uninstall
    - Fixed Google Talk uninstall
    - Reworked install script once again
    - Properly named apps in data partition (should properly updated from Play Store)
    - Added multilanguage support (English & Spanish so far)
    - Added license & changelog
    - Added version & size info for (almost) each app

1.1 (16/09/2012)
    - Reworked install script (ability to install/uninstall)
    - English language included (no hardcoded strings)
    - Fixed Google Now Offline removing

1.0 (15/09/2012)
    - First release (cheap & dirty) :)
    I'm uploading 1.2b to fix a few things with 1.2.

Please note that if you're trying to customize an already installed full gaps you should run the script twice. First uninstall everything then run it again and install what you want. You don't need to reboot, just uncheck "Reboot now" when you finish uninstalling in the 1st step.
    Version 1.3 with inverted gapps up and running!

You should install the zip file in Recovery > Install zip from SD Card. Wiping of Cache/Dalvik is automatically handled by the script, you don't need to do anything. Finally Aroma is not something that you install, is used to CREATE an install, so you don't have to worry about it. Just install the zip via Recovery and follow the instructions!