[JB4.1][JB4.2][JB4.3][KK4.4] Minimal Gapps

Search This thread

TJKV

Jun 25, 2011
For Kitkat, the Core gapps by @BaNkS works perfectly, it's as slim as it can be. It's also odexed for those wanting to test ART. So rather than do the same work twice I thought I'll just link to his thread here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2012857

If you are looking for JB minimal gapps, look below.

It seems there is a lot of confusion about which minimal gapps to flash or where to get them, so I decided to make a thread for the ones I have linked to in the main CM10 and CM10.1 threads in the past.

/system/app Contents:

Code:
1. ChromeBookmarksSyncAdapter.apk
2. GoogleBackupTransport.apk - [COLOR="Red"]Can be deleted but after a Data wipe and fresh flash you will be unable to restore things that Google backs up to its server like WiFi passwords, wallpapers. Personally I don't use this backup and restore because I don't trust that data with Google anymore.[/COLOR]
3. GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
4. GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
5. GoogleFeedback.apk - [COLOR="red"]Can be deleted. Some feedback mechanism when apps crash. I have never used it or even seen it myself, so I delete it before flashing the gapps.
[/COLOR]6. GoogleLoginService.apk
7. GoogleServicesFramework.apk
8. MediaUploader.apk - [COLOR="red"]Can be deleted. This enables sharing pics to Picasa in the stock Gallery. Personally I remove it.[/COLOR]
9. NetworkLocation.apk
10. Phonesky.apk (Play Store 4.4.21)
11. SetupWizard.apk

There are versions for 4.1 and 4.2, and 4.3 ROMs, and they should work on any device.

They don't contain any app that can be downloaded from the Play Store, like Gmail, Hangouts etc. But it contains everything necessary to use all Google services. It is based on the first minimal gapps for CM10 by Quarx. The old talk app is available as addons for each version, but they are not tested by me. If they stop working then let me know here (specifying which version, like 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 etc)

In case anyone wants to use Google TTS voice instead of Pico TTS, look here.

Find them here

Last edited:

FcukBloat

Jun 18, 2012
thanks a lot for this tejus!

just a question, I am using now the minimal gapps edited I found on the cm10.1 thread that is the only one with working swype stock keyboard for me, also in your minimal gapps package swype stock keyboard is working oob?

thanks again!

TJKV

Jun 25, 2011
thanks a lot for this tejus!

just a question, I am using now the minimal gapps edited I found on the cm10.1 thread that is the only one with working swype stock keyboard for me, also in your minimal gapps package swype stock keyboard is working oob?

thanks again!

I'll be happy if you can test it and tell me, I'm unable to test at the moment :)

But if I were to guess I'd say it does work because it contains a lib file related to the keyboard. It was in the original 4.2.2 Gapps, so I had kept it as it is. I think the gapps you found on CM10.1 thread might have been mine...

Last edited:

FcukBloat

Jun 18, 2012
I'll be happy if you can test it and tell me, I'm unable to test at the moment :)

But if I were to guess I'd say it does work because it contains a lib file related to the keyboard. It was in the original 4.2.2 Gapps, so I had kept it as it is. I think the gapps you found on CM10.1 thread might have been mine...
I think so too..! :) also, I downloaded your new gapps minimal package, and compared the content of the app folder with the one I have, it seems exactly the same, except talk that is not present (not a big problem, I always remove it as well :) )

btw I will try your new package soon and report about they keyboard!

one last thing, but that could be very important! :) please see this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2300849

it is about the media app always running (download service process). after some research on the internet, it seems this app appears only after installing the gapps.
if that is the case, do you know what app could create this process, and if you find it, could be removed safely from the package?

that affects a lot of people, and if can be removed could be a great thing I guess! also, most important, some people reports less battery consumption when that service is not running! ;) unfortunately it is a system app so it can be not greenified ;(

byeeeee

TJKV

Jun 25, 2011
I think so too..! :) also, I downloaded your new gapps minimal package, and compared the content of the app folder with the one I have, it seems exactly the same, except talk that is not present (not a big problem, I always remove it as well :) )

btw I will try your new package soon and report about they keyboard!

one last thing, but that could be very important! :) please see this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2300849

it is about the media app always running (download service process). after some research on the internet, it seems this app appears only after installing the gapps.
if that is the case, do you know what app could create this process, and if you find it, could be removed safely from the package?

that affects a lot of people, and if can be removed could be a great thing I guess! also, most important, some people reports less battery consumption when that service is not running! ;) unfortunately it is a system app so it can be not greenified ;(

byeeeee

I'm sure nothing more can be deleted from these gapps without causing problems/disabling certain core features.

MediaUploader.apk is the only one that seems to be related, see here. But deleting this will disable Share via SMS, MMS, Email etc in the stock Gallery app. So not a good idea to delete this. If you personally don't use the stock Gallery then you can try deleting it using a root explorer and see if it fixes your problem.

FcukBloat

Jun 18, 2012
I'm sure nothing more can be deleted from these gapps without causing problems/disabling certain core features.

MediaUploader.apk is the only one that seems to be related, see here. But deleting this will disable Share via SMS, MMS, Email etc in the stock Gallery app. So not a good idea to delete this. If you personally don't use the stock Gallery then you can try deleting it using a root explorer and see if it fixes your problem.
thanks! I will try as I don't use stock gallery. I hope it will remove sharing options only from stock gallery, and not for other apps (such as quickpic and others).

unfortunately I can not remove it.. when I try to delete the file /system/app/mediauploader.apk it says it can not be deleted (of course I am rooted, root access enabled in the file manager, and already kicked the app from running..)

will try to remove it from the package and reinstall from scratch..!

FcukBloat

Jun 18, 2012
here is what I found out after a reinstall from scratch :)

I used your minimal package, but removed from it both phonesky.apk (play store) and mediauploader.apk

so far so good.. everything seems working fine!

I confirm swype keyboard works, but also sharing options are still available in gallery and all other apps! plus, it seems to me I don't see anymore media (downloadservice process) always in running apps, at least so far! :)

so it seems mediauploader.apk is not really needed actually and can be removed.. I will let you know if some problems will arise later, or I will notice something wrong ;)

only thing is that in the sharing options I don't see anymore picasa, but that's not a problem for me, I don't use it!

as per the play store, I see two good points in removing it from the gapps package: I use app2zip to save all my apps, so now I can backup also play store with app2zip, and it won't conflict with another version of the app in /system

plus, being stored in /data, I can greenify it!! (also play store used to appear often in running processes..)
of course this way I will not be informed about updates, but I prefer to check manually when I wish to do so, instead of having the app often running even when I am not using it :)

thanks for your help and I hope this will be useful for some other people also :)

Reactions: TJKV

FcukBloat

Jun 18, 2012
EDIT: media downloadservice is back again :( so it was not related to mediauploader... what the hell can be that?? :(

it seems to me it appeared after running gmail for the first time.. but I will have to confirm that after some more investigations..

TJKV

Jun 25, 2011
EDIT: media downloadservice is back again :( so it was not related to mediauploader... what the hell can be that?? :(

it seems to me it appeared after running gmail for the first time.. but I will have to confirm that after some more investigations..

Hmm okay..either way I think everything that can be removed has been removed from these gapps...mediauploader can be deleted by whoever wants to after downloading.

I am wondering whether to also upload (separately) the old Talk apk's for whoever wants it, IMHO hangouts is kind of slow.

FcukBloat

Jun 18, 2012
Hmm okay..either way I think everything that can be removed has been removed from these gapps...mediauploader can be deleted by whoever wants to after downloading.

I am wondering whether to also upload (separately) the old Talk apk's for whoever wants it, IMHO hangouts is kind of slow.
I am in the tweaking days.. :D I searched many lists of apps/services on the web and trimmed down a lot cm build and also removed a few more things from your package.. I will reinstall from scratch and test if everything will work in a few minutes.. I keep fingers crossed.. will report back soon! ;) :)

as per the talk app, I have always removed it from the package or later with a root explorer app as I don't use it.. btw I think many people may want it so probably if talk is not available anymore in the market could be good to upload it separately I guess ;)

FcukBloat

Jun 18, 2012
ok I did many attempts, reinstalls etc (play store really pissed me off.. actually I found out it can not be installed in /data, if you do so it seems to work but then when you try to update an app it FC....!!! so I had to do many attempts and in the end I integrated it again in the package as you did in orgin :) ) this is some general information I found out that can be useful for people who wants to trim things up:

1. ChromeBookmarksSyncAdapter.apk --> I didn't remove it, but if you don't import bookmarks from other PCs you can probably remove it
2. GoogleBackupTransport.apk --> I removed it, it is for google backup service (app, wifi passwords etc) that I never used
3. GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk --> I didn't remove it, but if you don't sync calendars with gcalendar you can probably remove it
4. GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk --> I didn't remove it, but if you don't sync contacts with gmail you can probably remove it
5. GoogleFeedback.apk --> I removed it, and I have no problems so far (it is probably for reporting to google when an app FC, store feedbacks still work even without this)
6. GoogleLoginService.apk --> should not be removed, to login you google account
7. GoogleServicesFramework.apk --> should not be removed, needed for gapps and/or play store
8. MediaUploader.apk --> I removed it, it is just for picasa uploading/sharing option
9. NetworkLocation.apk --> should not be removed, it is for finding your location using mobile network instead of GPS
10. Phonesky.apk (Play Store 4.1.10) --> should not be removed if you want to use play store (if placed in /data problems arise!!)
11. SetupWizard.apk --> should not be removed, first boot wizard

also, as I don't use gtalk at all, I removed libgtalk_jni.so and libgtalk_stabilize.so inside "lib" folder..

my conclusion is that I can just confirm for most cases your package is perfect, so it is probably better to leave it exactly like this, and just in case people have different needs can modify it.. the info I added above should be helpful in this case!

bye!

ps. doing all these attempts I can now understand how long it could have taken for you to find the smallest and most stable configuration for the gapps, so I can just say MANY THANKS TO YOU!! :good: :)

pps. looking at different lists on the web, and also with some findings I did by myself, I gathered information about almost all the apk's present in the cm builds, if that can be useful for someone I could open a new thread and prepare a list similar to the one above (file name and what the app does, to know if it is safe to remove it or not) .. believe me there are many lists on the web but to find out (almost) all the apps and their purposes you must look at many of them and make a mix!! also some were not present in any list at all and I had to personally find what they do! :eek:

Last edited:

TJKV

Jun 25, 2011
ok I did many attempts, reinstalls etc (play store really pissed me off.. actually I found out it can not be installed in /data, if you do so it seems to work but then when you try to update an app it FC....!!! so I had to do many attempts and in the end I integrated it again in the package as you did in orgin :) ) this is some general information I found out that can be useful for people who wants to trim things up:

1. ChromeBookmarksSyncAdapter.apk --> I didn't remove it, but if you don't import bookmarks from other PCs you can probably remove it
2. GoogleBackupTransport.apk --> I removed it, it is for google backup service (app, wifi passwords etc) that I never used
3. GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk --> I didn't remove it, but if you don't sync calendars with gcalendar you can probably remove it
4. GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk --> I didn't remove it, but if you don't sync contacts with gmail you can probably remove it
5. GoogleFeedback.apk --> I removed it, and I have no problems so far (it is probably for reporting to google when an app FC, store feedbacks still work even without this)
6. GoogleLoginService.apk --> should not be removed, to login you google account
7. GoogleServicesFramework.apk --> should not be removed, needed for gapps and/or play store
8. MediaUploader.apk --> I removed it, it is just for picasa uploading/sharing option
9. NetworkLocation.apk --> should not be removed, it is for finding your location using mobile network instead of GPS
10. Phonesky.apk (Play Store 4.1.10) --> should not be removed if you want to use play store (if placed in /data problems arise!!)

also, as I don't use gtalk at all, I removed libgtalk_jni.so and libgtalk_stabilize.so inside "lib" folder..

my conclusion is that I can just confirm for most cases your package is perfect, so it is probably better to leave it exactly like this, and just in case people have different needs can modify it.. the info I added above should be helpful in this case!

bye!

ps. doing all these attempts I can now understand how long it could have taken for you to find the smallest and most stable configuration for the gapps, so I can just say MANY THANKS TO YOU!! :good: :)

pps. looking at different lists on the web, and also with some findings I did by myself, I gathered information about almost all the apk's present in the cm builds, if that can be useful for someone I could open a new thread and prepare a list similar to the one above (file name and what the app does, to know if it is safe to remove it or not) .. believe me there are many lists on the web but to find out (almost) all the apps and their purposes you must look at many of them and make a mix!! also some were not present in any list at all and I had to personally find what they do! :eek:

Oh it didn't take me long because, like I said in op, it is based on quarx's minimal gapps. He spent time figuring out what to remove, thanks should go to him :)

I'll add a link to your post in the op.

Sent from my MB526 using xda app-developers app

FcukBloat

Jun 18, 2012
just for your info, after some more attempts i found out the process: media > DownlodService is related to both gapps and Downloadprovider.apk
if I remove Downloadprovider.apk, that process doesn't appear anymore, but I get gapps FC's (and very probably will not be possible to download anymore things from the browser and/or play store)
so in conclusion it seems to me we have to live with that process running, and that is not possible to really get rid of it safely.. :(

EDIT: also, it seems to me it starts appearing when you run gmail for the first time.. so if you use gmail I guess we must live with that process always running even if you disable automatic sync like I always do :(

Last edited:

TJKV

Jun 25, 2011
wow did you change your nick? I didn't know it was possible! :silly::)

Oh and since you seem to like to disable as many unnecessary apps as possible, you can try and disable 'ApplicationsProvider.apk'. It will only break Google Now searches for apps that are installed on your device AFAIK. I've disabled it on CM10.1 and I don't use GNow, haven't noticed anything amiss.

Reactions: FcukBloat

FcukBloat

Jun 18, 2012
thanks my dear will remove it immediately and see what happens thanks! :)

EDIT: I went for removing it and actually i noticed i have already deleted it lol! :) i will post the list of all the apps i usually remove before flashing a rom soon maybe someone could be interested :)

EDIT 2: this could become the tuning thread.. :)
.. here is what i remove always from the cm10.1 and minimal gapps package zips:

<<From cm10.1 ROM zip..>>

/system/media/video/*
/system/tts/*
/system/usr/srec/*
/system/fonts/DroidSansFallback.tff
/system/fonts/MTLmr3m.tff
/system/fonts/NanumGothic.tff

in /system/media/audio i only leave alarms, notifications and ringtones i need (six in total) and remove all the others

*for the part above, credits go to @Nbsss, see here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=41074866

below is my contribute.. :p

in /system/app i delete all the following: (with some explanations for each app)

Apollo.apk (music app)
ApplicationsProvider.apk (somewhere I saw that that it "Provides the list of installed apps to Market", but market is working fine here even without that, and I can also correctly see the list of my installed apps)
AudioEffectSettings.apk (relevant settings, I don't use them, if removed settings will FC if you try to open those audio effect settings)
BackupRestoreConfirmation.apk (for synced google settings, I never used it)
BasicDreams.apk (wallpaper)
CellBroadcastReceiver.apk (relevant settings, I don't use them, if removed settings will FC if you try to open those cell broadcast settings)
CMFileManager.apk (I use ES File manager instead)
CMUpdater.apk (I have never used updater, just flash flash new roms when they come out)
DSPManager.apk (I don't use it)
Email2.apk (I only use gmail)
Exchange2.apk(I only use gmail)
Galaxy4.apk (wallpaper)
HoloSpiralWallpaper.apk (wallpaper)
HwaSettings.apk (I always leave HWA on for all apps an never had any problems, so no need for this)
InputDevices.apk (never understood what is this for exactly, but removing it is safe here)
LiveWallpapers.apk (to choose between live wallpapers, I don't use them)
LiveWallpapersPicker.apk (to choose between live wallpapers, I don't use them)
MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk (wallpaper)
NoiseField.apk (wallpaper)
PhaseBeam.apk (wallpaper)
PhotoTable.apk (wallpaper)
PicoTts.apk (no need, maps+audio directions work perfectly fine even without this)
Provision.apk (setup wizard, not used, using the one inside the gapps package instead)
QuickSearchBox.apk (google search box, I don't use it)
Stk.apk (sim toolkit app, I don't use it)
Term.apk (old version of terminal emulator, I always install the latest one from play store instead)
ThemeChooser.apk (I never change themes)
ThemeManager.apk (I never change themes)
VideoEditor.apk (it used to always crash, at least in previous builds, btw I don't use it)
VisualizationWallpapers.apk (wallpaper)
VoiceDialer.apk (I don't use it)
VpnDialogs.apk (I don't need it)

<<From minimal gapps zip..>>

GoogleBackupTransport.apk (for google backup service that I never used)
GoogleFeedback.apk (it is probably for reporting to google when an app FC, store feedbacks still work even without this)
MediaUploader.apk (it is just for picasa uploading/sharing option)
libgtalk_jni.so and libgtalk_stabilize.so inside /lib, as I don't use gtalk/hangouts

.. doing like that i remain with more than 80Mb free in /system :p

byeeee

Last edited:

triovi

May 27, 2012
RM.Valcea/Bucuresti
Tnx moly82 for your useful list.

I use this script http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1827817 made for Galaxy S3 for cleaning my Defy +. Instead ROMCleaner_user.txt file from that page, I use a custom one made for Defy with options proposed by U in previous post. I'll atached the file to this post so anyone can use it.
But according to personal preference can be changed very easy with Notepad++ .

Attachments

• ROMCleaner_user.txt
    6.5 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Reactions: FcukBloat

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For Kitkat, the Core gapps by @BaNkS works perfectly, it's as slim as it can be. It's also odexed for those wanting to test ART. So rather than do the same work twice I thought I'll just link to his thread here:

If you are looking for JB minimal gapps, look below.

It seems there is a lot of confusion about which minimal gapps to flash or where to get them, so I decided to make a thread for the ones I have linked to in the main CM10 and CM10.1 threads in the past.

/system/app Contents:

Code:
    1. ChromeBookmarksSyncAdapter.apk
    2. GoogleBackupTransport.apk - [COLOR="Red"]Can be deleted but after a Data wipe and fresh flash you will be unable to restore things that Google backs up to its server like WiFi passwords, wallpapers. Personally I don't use this backup and restore because I don't trust that data with Google anymore.[/COLOR]
    3. GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
    4. GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
    5. GoogleFeedback.apk - [COLOR="red"]Can be deleted. Some feedback mechanism when apps crash. I have never used it or even seen it myself, so I delete it before flashing the gapps.
    [/COLOR]6. GoogleLoginService.apk
    7. GoogleServicesFramework.apk
    8. MediaUploader.apk - [COLOR="red"]Can be deleted. This enables sharing pics to Picasa in the stock Gallery. Personally I remove it.[/COLOR]
    9. NetworkLocation.apk
    10. Phonesky.apk (Play Store 4.4.21)
    11. SetupWizard.apk

There are versions for 4.1 and 4.2, and 4.3 ROMs, and they should work on any device.

They don't contain any app that can be downloaded from the Play Store, like Gmail, Hangouts etc. But it contains everything necessary to use all Google services. It is based on the first minimal gapps for CM10 by Quarx. The old talk app is available as addons for each version, but they are not tested by me. If they stop working then let me know here (specifying which version, like 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 etc)

In case anyone wants to use Google TTS voice instead of Pico TTS, look here.

Find them here
    thanks my dear will remove it immediately and see what happens thanks! :)

EDIT: I went for removing it and actually i noticed i have already deleted it lol! :) i will post the list of all the apps i usually remove before flashing a rom soon maybe someone could be interested :)

EDIT 2: this could become the tuning thread.. :)
    .. here is what i remove always from the cm10.1 and minimal gapps package zips:

<<From cm10.1 ROM zip..>>

/system/media/video/*
    /system/tts/*
    /system/usr/srec/*
    /system/fonts/DroidSansFallback.tff
    /system/fonts/MTLmr3m.tff
    /system/fonts/NanumGothic.tff

in /system/media/audio i only leave alarms, notifications and ringtones i need (six in total) and remove all the others

*for the part above, credits go to @Nbsss, see here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=41074866

below is my contribute.. :p

in /system/app i delete all the following: (with some explanations for each app)

Apollo.apk (music app)
    ApplicationsProvider.apk (somewhere I saw that that it "Provides the list of installed apps to Market", but market is working fine here even without that, and I can also correctly see the list of my installed apps)
    AudioEffectSettings.apk (relevant settings, I don't use them, if removed settings will FC if you try to open those audio effect settings)
    BackupRestoreConfirmation.apk (for synced google settings, I never used it)
    BasicDreams.apk (wallpaper)
    CellBroadcastReceiver.apk (relevant settings, I don't use them, if removed settings will FC if you try to open those cell broadcast settings)
    CMFileManager.apk (I use ES File manager instead)
    CMUpdater.apk (I have never used updater, just flash flash new roms when they come out)
    DSPManager.apk (I don't use it)
    Email2.apk (I only use gmail)
    Exchange2.apk(I only use gmail)
    Galaxy4.apk (wallpaper)
    HoloSpiralWallpaper.apk (wallpaper)
    HwaSettings.apk (I always leave HWA on for all apps an never had any problems, so no need for this)
    InputDevices.apk (never understood what is this for exactly, but removing it is safe here)
    LiveWallpapers.apk (to choose between live wallpapers, I don't use them)
    LiveWallpapersPicker.apk (to choose between live wallpapers, I don't use them)
    MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk (wallpaper)
    NoiseField.apk (wallpaper)
    PhaseBeam.apk (wallpaper)
    PhotoTable.apk (wallpaper)
    PicoTts.apk (no need, maps+audio directions work perfectly fine even without this)
    Provision.apk (setup wizard, not used, using the one inside the gapps package instead)
    QuickSearchBox.apk (google search box, I don't use it)
    Stk.apk (sim toolkit app, I don't use it)
    Term.apk (old version of terminal emulator, I always install the latest one from play store instead)
    ThemeChooser.apk (I never change themes)
    ThemeManager.apk (I never change themes)
    VideoEditor.apk (it used to always crash, at least in previous builds, btw I don't use it)
    VisualizationWallpapers.apk (wallpaper)
    VoiceDialer.apk (I don't use it)
    VpnDialogs.apk (I don't need it)

<<From minimal gapps zip..>>

GoogleBackupTransport.apk (for google backup service that I never used)
    GoogleFeedback.apk (it is probably for reporting to google when an app FC, store feedbacks still work even without this)
    MediaUploader.apk (it is just for picasa uploading/sharing option)
    libgtalk_jni.so and libgtalk_stabilize.so inside /lib, as I don't use gtalk/hangouts

.. doing like that i remain with more than 80Mb free in /system :p

byeeee
    Updated with new Play Store 4.1.10. CM10 version works on the latest SlimBean too.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/05/29/download-latest-google-play-store-4-1-10/
    for those looking for a minimal gapps 4.4 package try the one by @BaNkS:

I'm using the "core" one (only 20mb) without any problems, also on ART ;)

bye!

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone