Some of you may know me at S4 forums. As promised, I will support S4 for yet another year and bring up the Android Pie.
So here we are. In this thread I will give you a small bite of S4 pie.
Some of you may have some questions.... So lets get it started.
Before first boot
1) Is that AOSP ? Is that LineageOS ? What is it?
- This is 99% pure AOSP sources with some LineageOS additions under the hood in order to allow our old S4 boot the Pie.
2) Is that an Alpha-beta-gamma-etc version of Optimized LineageOS 16.0?
- Maybe... But actually no... However it will surely be the base for my OptLos16.0 releases.
3) What to expect from it?
- NOTHING. ITS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR DAILY USAGE.
IT'S JUST A PREVIEW
... A SMALL BITE FROM THE ANDROID 9 PIE.
4) Whats working?
- It boots and charges. Nothing else is working. NOTHING. The only thing you can do is explore the UI, move around and such. It's just a sneak peak.
5) Whats NOT working ?
- EVERYTHING. Camera, GPS, nfc, wifi, vibration....
6) Can i report bugs ?
- Hell no. There is no reason to report bugs. I know what's NOT working so I can fix it when I have time. Repeat with me...
IT'S ONLY A PREVIEW.
7) Why did you release this, you attention whore?
- S4 is dying from one day to next. Users are kicking out their devices....Give me ONE reason to NOT release a preview... There are only a few of us left who still use S4. I want to provide all the fresh stuff I can.
I promised(https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=77404240&postcount=1690) and I delivered.
8) "If JDCTeam were still active they would not let you release in such early stage"
- I know. Sorry guys. Our S4 is dying. I don't listen to "rules" when its a need.
9) Will it ever be stable?
- Yes. That's a promise.
10) So how do i install it?
- I used the latest official TWRP and simply wiped & flashed the zip. No special technique or circus.
After first boot
1) It's laggy. WTF mate?
- Of course it is. And its not Pie's fault. There is much stuff missing inside. Do not expect anything.
2) I pressed power button and it doesn't wake up
- Yes. That's what happens to old devices. Same happened to Oreo when it was first released. I will fix it soon. Relax people. Patience. Please remove and re-insert your battery again. Set the screen time-out long so you don't encounter it.
For now DO NOT LOCK / SLEEP YOUR DEVICE.
3) I had random reboot / freeze / SystemUI crash
- Yes. That's normal. Although it didn't happen to me.
4) I cant find the recents menu
- Neither did I. Since ADB is disabled for now i cant debug it. Could be launcher. Try Nova. Patience.... the best will come soon.
I would like to thank:
- Every Optimized Lineage / CM user that is / was active at forums and pumped me up to bring Pie to S4.
- Every OptLosOreo Slack member that helped me in his own way.
- Every code stealer. I want you around guys.
@Creeper36 The guy under the hood who's always supporting me for 3 years now. He is back !
@Buff99 My other half on optlos15.1. No buff - No RR for JF - No updated kernel.
@Patrick x The most loyal member. Been with me since day 1 of telegram.
All others from OptLosOreo Slack team especially Splesher, JMvstheworld, RuKaDa, Tim, SalimPS , Kesaras (I wont tag em to avoid spam).
Take your taste of pie here
[JDCTeam][9.0] Android Pie - Flashable Preview Release, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S4
side, buff99, patrick x, creeper36
Source Code: https://github.com/JDCTeam/platform_kernel_samsung_jf is enough for now
ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.1.x
Based On: AOSP
Last Updated 2018-09-14