I'm aware that I'm no one over at this XDA-world.
Although, I must say that I truly do admire all the hard work and time you and all the other contributors have and will put into this sweet device.
As for stealers aka nonfactors, we all know they are looking for attention without truly contributing, consider createting, develop and being respectful towards the real engineers.
All coding and effort should be shown respect, without the need of making the project "closed" to prevent wannabes...
I've been using your work for over 2 years now and I must say that your work is outstanding !
Also cheers to Buff who developes, what I consider to be one of the best kernels out there!
If you want/need testers and loggers, count me in!
If you got enough beta testers I will wait impatient like kids on xmas for the upcoming, stable Pie release
Sorry for my crappy English, I'm just another Swede trying to communicate -_-
Wow that was really really fast.... KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK BUFF AND SIDE! Without you guys I would have been stuck on a horrible CM Marshmallow ROM with zero optimizations whatsoever.... Hopefully we can keep charging on and even get to android 10!
Some of you may know me at S4 forums. As promised, I will support S4 for yet another year and bring up the Android Pie.
So here we are. In this thread I will give you a small bite of S4 pie.
Some of you may have some questions.... So lets get it started.
Before first boot
1) Is that AOSP ? Is that LineageOS ? What is it?
- This is 99% pure AOSP sources with some LineageOS additions under the hood in order to allow our old S4 boot the Pie.
2)Is that an Alpha-beta-gamma-etc version of Optimized LineageOS 16.0?
- Maybe... But actually no... However it will surely be the base for my OptLos16.0 releases.
3)What to expect from it?
- NOTHING. ITS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR DAILY USAGE. IT'S JUST A PREVIEW
... A SMALL BITE FROM THE ANDROID 9 PIE.
- It boots and charges. Nothing else is working. NOTHING. The only thing you can do is explore the UI, move around and such. It's just a sneak peak.
5)Whats NOT working ?
- EVERYTHING. Camera, GPS, nfc, wifi, vibration.... NOTHING WORKS.
6) Can i report bugs ?
- Hell no. There is no reason to report bugs. I know what's NOT working so I can fix it when I have time. Repeat with me... IT'S ONLY A PREVIEW.
7)Why did you release this, you attention whore?
- S4 is dying from one day to next. Users are kicking out their devices....Give me ONE reason to NOT release a preview... There are only a few of us left who still use S4. I want to provide all the fresh stuff I can.
I promised(https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=77404240&postcount=1690) and I delivered.
8) "If JDCTeam were still active they would not let you release in such early stage"
- I know. Sorry guys. Our S4 is dying. I don't listen to "rules" when its a need.
9) Will it ever be stable?
- Yes. That's a promise.
10)So how do i install it?
- I used the latest official TWRP and simply wiped & flashed the zip. No special technique or circus.
After first boot
1)It's laggy. WTF mate?
- Of course it is. And its not Pie's fault. There is much stuff missing inside. Do not expect anything.
2)I pressed power button and it doesn't wake up
- Yes. That's what happens to old devices. Same happened to Oreo when it was first released. I will fix it soon. Relax people. Patience. Please remove and re-insert your battery again. Set the screen time-out long so you don't encounter it.
For now DO NOT LOCK / SLEEP YOUR DEVICE.
3)I had random reboot / freeze / SystemUI crash
- Yes. That's normal. Although it didn't happen to me.
4)I cant find the recents menu
- Neither did I. Since ADB is disabled for now i cant debug it. Could be launcher. Try Nova. Patience.... the best will come soon.
I would like to thank:
Every Optimized Lineage / CM user that is / was active at forums and pumped me up to bring Pie to S4.
Every OptLosOreo Slack member that helped me in his own way.
Every code stealer. I want you around guys.
Specially: @Creeper36 The guy under the hood who's always supporting me for 3 years now. He is back ! @Buff99 My other half on optlos15.1. No buff - No RR for JF - No updated kernel. @Patrick x The most loyal member. Been with me since day 1 of telegram.
All others from OptLosOreo Slack team especially Splesher, JMvstheworld, RuKaDa, Tim, SalimPS , Kesaras (I wont tag em to avoid spam).