[JDCTeam] Optimized LineageOS17.1 v9.0 [10Dec]

Search This thread

akmens

May 4, 2013
Hi, I installed the ROM, it looks fine and is fast. I kinda don't like that it is not as stock to Android 10 as possible (it have unusuall power off butons, icons, orange browser address bar(!), no weather and clock widget and I think stock android have it but maybe wrong - not a big deal though, I will get something like weawow app and also that you have to swipe up to unlock the screen - I am used to my other phone with swipe left or right gestures to unlock).

All is fine as long as I can give a little longer life to this old device with more recent Adroid OS!

BUT it seems like the SEARCH BAR under the dock icons is permanently STUCK and cannot be removed, either by swiping it out or by settings (couldn't find any). Looks like it is stuck in the app drawer because when I swipe up for apps it moves along. Plus, it have ridiculous bug I am surprised it was not seen before realase. When you tap on search bar, keyboard opens up and completely covers search bar because it shares the same position so you are typing in kinda blind...

The weird thing is that in the youtube video I cannot see the search bar at all!
Is it possible to remove it as it takes precious space on the home screen and I don't use it daily?

Thanks! :)

P.s. that lineage os custom recovery is quite useless. Gapps cannot be installed because of error (cannot find valid system layout), cannot do custom wipes, mount storage etc. Flashed back to twrp via odin and what a day and night difference, feeling like at home again...

P.p.s. why not Lineage 18 with Android 11? I tried but it feeled not as snapy and it had same gapps errors in recovery so I was experimenting with older versions (that didn't help) and now when I have it, I like how it feels.

Last edited:
Reactions: side

Retrial

Recognized Contributor & Translator
Jun 10, 2015
Athens
Samsung Galaxy S4
Sony Xperia L
Hi, I installed the ROM, it looks fine and is fast. I kinda don't like that it is not as stock to Android 10 as possible (it have unusuall power off butons, icons, orange browser address bar(!), no weather and clock widget and I think stock android have it but maybe wrong - not a big deal though, I will get something like weawow app and also that you have to swipe up to unlock the screen - I am used to my other phone with swipe left or right gestures to unlock).

All is fine as long as I can give a little longer life to this old device with more recent Adroid OS!

BUT it seems like the SEARCH BAR under the dock icons is permanently STUCK and cannot be removed, either by swiping it out or by settings (couldn't find any). Looks like it is stuck in the app drawer because when I swipe up for apps it moves along. Plus, it have ridiculous bug I am surprised it was not seen before realase. When you tap on search bar, keyboard opens up and completely covers search bar because it shares the same position so you are typing in kinda blind...

The weird thing is that in the youtube video I cannot see the search bar at all!
Is it possible to remove it as it takes precious space on the home screen and I don't use it daily?

Thanks! :)

P.s. that lineage os custom recovery is quite useless. Gapps cannot be installed because of error (cannot find valid system layout), cannot do custom wipes, mount storage etc. Flashed back to twrp via odin and what a day and night difference, feeling like at home again...

P.p.s. why not Lineage 18 with Android 11? I tried but it feeled not as snapy and it had same gapps errors in recovery so I was experimenting with older versions (that didn't help) and now when I have it, I like how it feels.
Read carefully my S4 Unified Collection & Guides. You will find everything you need there. Recommend ROMs/GApps/latest TWRP for your device, follow the clean installation guide.

akmens

May 4, 2013
To avoid installing custom launcher etc., I got back to Lineage 18.x, all is fine now, no silly integrated search bar in home screen like there was in optimized lineage 17.x version :)

Still I will install other browser as default because i don't kinda like the integrated browser's orange address bar and I wish power off buttons were as stock Android (they look much more asthetic) but otherwise I am impressed, everything is smooth so far!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: side

Concept48

Dec 26, 2021
cut888b.png

Optimized LineageOS 17.1 for the Samsung Galaxy S4 (Qualcomm variants)
Brought to you by the Jflte DevConnection Team

DISCLAIMER
Code:
* Your warranty is now void.
        < Well lets face it, your warranty has been void for 3+ years now.. Samsung don't care about you. Who do? JDC TEAM. >

* We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
* Please do some research if you have any concerns about features
* included in this ROM before flashing!
* YOU are choosing to make these modifications and if
* YOU point the finger at us for messing up your device,
* WE will laugh at you.

FEATURES
  • Based on Official LineageOS 17.1 - Android 10_r41
  • Latest Security Updates integrated
  • Improved Speed, Stability, RAM usage & Battery drain
  • Powered by Buffcore Kernel - some / most / all of the following may or may not be hooked up yet.
Code:
[B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Buffcore 10[/COLOR][/B]:
set config_hz to 300
add intelliplug
tweak our touch boost
add color control tweak
stop lowclocks from defconfig
build with gzip
quickwakeup - the kernel can semi-wakeup and decide if needs to end suspend or return to suspend with losing doze
fully optimized toolchain flags
reduced sleep timeout
dynamic file syncing - early_suspend and dyn_fsync by default
print to dmesg log when a suspend gets broken
sdfat enabled
fastcharge implemented (up to 1900 ac / 1600 usb)
bcmhd wakelocks for rx and tx halved
libmemcopy and libstring sped up
io readahead to 1024k
power efficient work queues
voltage tweaking user interface
faster vmstat
autosmp hotplugging replacement
mmc crc disabled
allow for lower cpu voltage
reduce swapiness
optimize divide / multiply by power of 2
added tcp optimization options
set westwood default
optimize cbfillrect function
reduce wifi wakelock times
nohz: reduce overhead under high-freq idling patterns
  • Many, many more - install and see for yourself!;)

SUPPORTED DEVICES

• GT-I9505 (jfltexx)
  • GT-I9505G (jgedlte)
  • GT-i9507 (jtfddxx)
  • GT-i9508 (jfltezm)
  • SCH-I545 (jfltevzw) VERIZON USERS: since your Bootloader is locked, you must be on the VRUAMDK
  • SCH-I545L (jfltelra)
  • SCH-R970 (jflteusc)
  • SCH-R970C (jfltecri)
  • SCH-R970X (jfltecsp)
  • SGH-I337 (jflteatt) AT&T USERS: since your Bootloader is locked, you must be on the UCUAMDB or UCUAMDL
  • SGH-I337M (jftlecan)
  • SGH-l337Z (jfltecri)
  • SGH-M919 (jfltemo)
  • SGH-S970G (TracFone / Straight Talk)
  • SM-S975L (TracFone / Straight Talk)
  • SPH-L720 (jfltespr)
  • SPH-l720T (jflterefreshspr)
  • jfltezm - China Mobile
  • jfltetfnatt
  • jfltetfntmo
Do 'getprop ro.bootloader' in Terminal Emulator or through ADB shell to find out which Bootloader you have.

DOWNLOADS

GAPPS

You can use Pico or Nano Open GApps or BiTGApps

TWRP

You can use either the latest and recommended JDCTeam Recovery or the latest Unified Official TWRP Recovery to flash the ROM.
If you have a variant with a locked but exploitable Bootloader like AT&T and Verizon then use the TWRP Recovery Locki Patched by mattgyver.

AROMA ADDON

You can multiple times flash the Addon Aroma to add or remove apps-mods, change bootanimations and contain debug tools.
You can find it HERE.

INSTALLATION GUIDES - COLLECTION LATEST BOOTLOADERS & MODEMS - AND A LOT MORE

You can follow the well-explained steps, find and download the latest Bootloader & Modem for your variant from the S4 Unified Guides/Collection thread by Retrial which contains:
  • COMPLETE GUIDE FOR THE BEST CLEAN INSTALL OF STOCK OR CUSTOM ROM FROM SCRATCH
  • COMPLETE GUIDE TO CLEAN INSTALL A CUSTOM ROM NOT FROM SCRATCH
  • COMPLETE GUIDE TO DIRTY INSTALL OVER YOUR CUSTOM ROM
  • COLLECTION FOR ALL VARIANTS WITH THE LATEST FIRMWARE - BOOTLOADERS & MODEMS - TWRP - GAPPS - ROOT SOLUTION - PIT FILES - SAMSUNG USB DRIVER - ODIN - USEFUL APPS - RECOMMENDED ROMS

YOUTUBE

Click HERE to watch a video review of Optimized LineageOS 17.1 Thanks to MikeTheTechSavvy

JDCTEAM UNIVERSE

You can find the total work of JDCTeam over the years HERE.

SOURCE CODE
Avaible at JDCTeam GitHub

CREDITS
  • Side - Lead Developer / The Boss
  • Buff99 - Minor Developer / Major Meddler
  • JDC Team
  • LineageOS
  • OpenGapps

JDCTeam

You are welcome to join the Official JDC Team chat/test group in Slack

XDA:DevDB Information
[JDCTeam] &#128287; Optimized LineageOS17.1 &#128287; v8.0 [12Oct], ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S4

Contributors
side, buff99, Retrial
ROM OS Version: Android 10
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
ROM Firmware Required: Lollipop compatible
Based On: LineageOS

Version Information
Stable

Created 2019-12-16
Last Updated 2020-10-24
Side Buff and the complete Development "Gang" Thanks again for the amazing works you brought to our devices , and I want to wish you all the best for this new year to come. I read somewhere that You Side started a Ubuntu project for the S4 , and I will gladly soon review it , Also that you got bored with Android , I hope you and Buff will as the first bring Los 19 to the phone , but that's just hoping.. Stay well my friends and don't let the situation in the world darken your thoughts.. Stay strong , One love from Puck

Reactions: sjamie and Retrial

Bitman7

Jan 13, 2022
Hello,
I flashed my glorious Galaxy S4 with the Optimized-LineageOS-17.1-V9 ROM (tried 18 but a few apps wouldn't work, so flashed 17.1) and so far it's working great, it's given a new lease on life to my phone. Great stuff!

My only concern is that whenever I turn on the speakerphone, the other party can only hear my voice if I shout loudly near the microphone, and still they hear me very faintly. I can hear them loud & clear through the speaker, tho. By shouting around the phone I found that with the speakerphone activated it's the microphone located on the top that gets used, the one near the 3.5mm jack. If I turn the speakerphone off, the conversation can continue as normal, but obviously I have to keep my phone near my ear. The same happens with my headphones connected: when I turn on the speakerphone the headphone microphone gets deactivated, and the top mic on the phone body is used instead, at the same very low volume as before. Is it a LineageOS bug?

I recall having problems with the noise suppression feature with the stock ROM where I had to turn the noise suppression feature off in order for the other party to understand me, but I can't find the noise suppression setting in LineageOS 17.1. Hope someone can help, thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Concept48

Concept48

Dec 26, 2021
Hello,
I flashed my glorious Galaxy S4 with the Optimized-LineageOS-17.1-V9 ROM (tried 18 but a few apps wouldn't work, so flashed 17.1) and so far it's working great, it's given a new lease on life to my phone. Great stuff!

My only concern is that whenever I turn on the speakerphone, the other party can only hear my voice if I shout loudly near the microphone, and still they hear me very faintly. I can hear them loud & clear through the speaker, tho. By shouting around the phone I found that with the speakerphone activated it's the microphone located on the top that gets used, the one near the 3.5mm jack. If I turn the speakerphone off, the conversation can continue as normal, but obviously I have to keep my phone near my ear. The same happens with my headphones connected: when I turn on the speakerphone the headphone microphone gets deactivated, and the top mic on the phone body is used instead, at the same very low volume as before. Is it a LineageOS bug?

I recall having problems with the noise suppression feature with the stock ROM where I had to turn the noise suppression feature off in order for the other party to understand me, but I can't find the noise suppression setting in LineageOS 17.1. Hope someone can help, thanks!
I would test again do a clean install (Format Data ), then after reboot back into recovery , flash the 18.1 v7 use lite gapps if needed , or use aurora store . Try again and see if things got better , good luck

Bitman7

Jan 13, 2022
I would test again do a clean install (Format Data ), then after reboot back into recovery , flash the 18.1 v7 use lite gapps if needed , or use aurora store . Try again and see if things got better , good luck
I already tried 18.1 but a couple of apps wouldn't work, and moreover, v17.1 seems a bit snappier on this phone's slightly outdated processor. I might try a different 17.1 ROM, tho.
Before I flash the phone again, is there any developer or expert who can help me or direct me to try something to fix the problem?
Thanks!
Bitman

pocketrule

Sep 23, 2016
... with the speakerphone activated it's the microphone located on the top that gets used, the one near the 3.5mm jack. If I turn the speakerphone off, the conversation can continue as normal, but obviously I have to keep my phone near my ear. The same happens with my headphones connected: when I turn on the speakerphone the headphone microphone gets deactivated, and the top mic on the phone body is used instead, at the same very low volume as before...

You can check out mixer_paths.xml in /system/vendor/etc

IIRC, there are definitions of audio profiles including e.g. which speaker / microphone to use in which situation. If you have understood, how this file works, you can try to change it. Or you can replace the file with one you know is working correctly, eg. from another ROMs (of the same device of course).

By doing so you should not be able to break your device. If you have made a backup of the file before changing it, you can simply restore it in case anything goes wrong.

Good Luck 👍️

Last edited:
Reactions: Bitman7

Bitman7

Jan 13, 2022
You can check out mixer_paths.xml in /system/vendor/etc

IIRC, there are definitions of audio profiles including e.g. which speaker / microphone to use in which situation. If you have understood, how this file works, you can try to change it. Or you can replace the file with one you know is working correctly, eg. from another ROMs (or the same device of course).

By doing so you should not be able to break your device. If you have made a backup of the file before changing it, you can simply restore it in case anything goes wrong.

Good Luck 👍️
Thanks pocketrule, that info is exactly what I needed!

Before trying my hand at modifying the mixer_paths.xml file, I looked around for alternative versions of the same file, but without much luck. In particular:
* The official Samsung Android 5.01 Lollipop ROM, which I used before and know from experience that the audio works perfectly on it, doesn't have a mixer_paths.xml file, probably because it wasn't in use in Android 5.01 yet.
* The LineageOS 17.1 microG_ready ROM contains exactly the same mixer_paths.xml that's in Optimized LineageOS 17.1.
* The LineageOS 18.1 ROM also contains the same file.
* The Optimized LineageOS 16.0 v14 ROM contains a shorter mixer_paths.xml that renders my phone completely deaf mute.

Then I modified the file myself. I replaced the contents of <path name="voice-speaker-mic"> with that of <path name="voice-handset-mic"> and, incredibly, it worked.

Original contents:
XML:
<path name="voice-speaker-mic">
<ctl name="SLIM_0_TX Channels" value="Two"/>
<ctl name="SLIM TX7 MUX" value="DEC2"/>
<ctl name="DEC3 MUX" value="ADC4"/>
<ctl name="ADC4 Volume" value="3"/>
<ctl name="DEC3 Volume" value="84"/>
<ctl name="SLIM TX8 MUX" value="DEC3"/>
<ctl name="DEC2 MUX" value="ADC5"/>
<ctl name="ADC5 Volume" value="3"/>
<ctl name="DEC2 Volume" value="84"/>
<ctl name="MICBIAS3 CAPLESS Switch" value="1"/>
<ctl name="MICBIAS4 CAPLESS Switch" value="1"/>
<ctl name="TX3 HPF cut off" value="MIN_3DB_150Hz"/>
<ctl name="TX4 HPF cut off" value="MIN_3DB_150Hz"/>
<ctl name="TX5 HPF cut off" value="MIN_3DB_150Hz"/>
<ctl name="ES325-AP Tx Channels" value="One"/>
<ctl name="Internal Route Config" value="3"/>
<ctl name="ES325 TX1 Enable" value="1"/>
<ctl name="ES325 2Mic Enable" value="1"/>
</path>

Modified contents:
XML:
<path name="voice-speaker-mic">
<ctl name="SLIM_0_TX Channels" value="Two"/>
<ctl name="SLIM TX7 MUX" value="DEC4"/>
<ctl name="DEC4 MUX" value="ADC3"/>
<ctl name="ADC3 Volume" value="3"/>
<ctl name="DEC4 Volume" value="84"/>
<ctl name="SLIM TX8 MUX" value="DEC3"/>
<ctl name="DEC3 MUX" value="ADC4"/>
<ctl name="ADC4 Volume" value="3"/>
<ctl name="DEC3 Volume" value="84"/>
<ctl name="MICBIAS3 CAPLESS Switch" value="1"/>
<ctl name="TX3 HPF cut off" value="MIN_3DB_150Hz"/>
<ctl name="TX4 HPF cut off" value="MIN_3DB_150Hz"/>
<ctl name="TX5 HPF cut off" value="MIN_3DB_150Hz"/>
<ctl name="ES325-AP Tx Channels" value="One"/>
<ctl name="Internal Route Config" value="4"/>
<ctl name="ES325 TX1 Enable" value="1"/>
<ctl name="ES325 2Mic Enable" value="1"/>
</path>

Now people can hear me on the phone even when I turn on the speakerphone, nevertheless I'm quite sure there exist more optimized settings to be used in speakerphone mode (after all, I simply cloned the handset mode settings). For example, I'd like to copy the settings of the Lollipop ROM. Does anyone know where the audio mixer settings can be found under Lollipop? Or, can anyone point me towards other ROMs that might bear an optimized mixer_paths.xml for the S4? I could also use technical info about the syntax and keywords of the mixer_paths.xml file.

I'm also facing another issue, probably related. If I connect micless headphones to my phone during a call, or originate or answer a call while micless headphones are connected, the phone becomes deaf mute (I cannot hear the other party and they can't hear me). The phone stays that way even after the headphones are removed; the only way to restore the audio during calls is to reboot the phone. This doesn't happen if I connect a headset with a microphone: in this case the audio never goes away, everything works as expected, and the phone switches correctly between the built-in mic and the headset's mic. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Reactions: sjamie

ozanmervan

Mar 15, 2022
cut888b.png

Optimized LineageOS 17.1 for the Samsung Galaxy S4 (Qualcomm variants)
Brought to you by the Jflte DevConnection Team

DISCLAIMER
Code:
* Your warranty is now void.
        < Well lets face it, your warranty has been void for 3+ years now.. Samsung don't care about you. Who do? JDC TEAM. >

* We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
* Please do some research if you have any concerns about features
* included in this ROM before flashing!
* YOU are choosing to make these modifications and if
* YOU point the finger at us for messing up your device,
* WE will laugh at you.

FEATURES
  • Based on Official LineageOS 17.1 - Android 10_r41
  • Latest Security Updates integrated
  • Improved Speed, Stability, RAM usage & Battery drain