• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Jellybean slow as hell!

Search This thread

festr

Nov 4, 2010
Hello, I'm trying helly bean and it performs very well as it uses datadata on fast NAND oposite to early CM10. Unfortunatly I'm to lazy to try the latest CM10 with data=writeback feature in semaphore kernel so I'm curiouse if someone with slow NAND as I compared thos two roms already.

upichie

Nov 15, 2010
Hello, I'm trying helly bean and it performs very well as it uses datadata on fast NAND oposite to early CM10. Unfortunatly I'm to lazy to try the latest CM10 with data=writeback feature in semaphore kernel so I'm curiouse if someone with slow NAND as I compared thos two roms already.

I tried it, but it wasn't as fast as Helly Bean (especially when opening apps). Then again, I didn't know how to verify if the setting actual took effect.

aditya104

Oct 17, 2010
CM10 Alpha Jelly Bean -Stock Kernel

Was good first few days. Now, since adding a few widgets and icon pack, feels laggy. Still no crashes so far.
Switching back to CM9 Nightly as it was fast and complete and good for daily use.

pmos69

Feb 16, 2009
Lisbon
Wouldn't that increase the data loss risk significantly? From what I can gather the data loss risks are the single big reason why ordered mode is favored by and large.

Actually no.
Data loss risk is actually very low. At most there's a risk of getting some stale data on an unclean shutdown.
Writeback mode is actually similar to the default journaling mode of some other journaled filesystems like JFS and XFS.
You're talking about not forcing the order of writing to disk between data and its corresponding journal metadata.

That being said, the performance increase it gives is not what will make a difference between lag and no lag. It is faster, but not enough.

Dropping the journal would have a bigger impact, but then you would be getting into the real danger zone.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium

Last edited:

TasTony

Jul 28, 2012
Same as my flashed experience.
I had flashed X-beam,cm10 etc... there were all not smooth.
But I will keep watch JB's improve till it's come to stable and I will flash at that time.

exadeci

Jul 21, 2010
Sydney
I tried:
JellyTab
HellyBean
SlimBean
Cyanogenmod10 (pawitp)
X-bean
Paranoidandroid

And they all become really slow in matters of days (I don't like task killers but even with a task killer it wouldn't make them faster) so I'm going back to slimics and I will wait for a better JB rom (I have only around 20 apps that I install on my phone)

Famzz

Aug 11, 2012
Is it just me or after a few hours of use does TAJB's Jellybean rom become incredible slow and sluggish? I know its still in early development but its only an incremental update from ICS which seems to be stable (for the most part) but sometimes its just goes crazy on JellyBean despite the Project Butter enahncement. Im starting to think that these new versions of Android are startin to push the boundaries for our tired old Galaxy S1's :S

I'm using tajb and its great. Have you tried overclocking? If yes and its still sluggish did you wipe before install? If yes then download advanced task killer free from the play store open it and hit kill selected apps or whatever it is. If its still slow then update your kernel to devil kernel 1.1.3.:eek:

Hope this helps.:D

Hit thanks if i helped you

-Famzz

Last edited:

Catfish81

May 31, 2012
If you are using Devil kernel, try getting devil kernel manager and changing the CPU governor profile settings. I use either "lagfree" or "performance" governor setting with the profile setting on "normal". Also check the Screen off - Max Freq setting in CPU section, I set mine to 1000 and it helps to keep the interface moving smooth.

Can't say I've had it lagging down to the point that it is irritating since I have set these things with devil kernel manager.

Vertron

Jul 30, 2010
I tried:
JellyTab
HellyBean
SlimBean
Cyanogenmod10 (pawitp)
X-bean
Paranoidandroid

And they all become really slow in matters of days (I don't like task killers but even with a task killer it wouldn't make them faster) so I'm going back to slimics and I will wait for a better JB rom (I have only around 20 apps that I install on my phone)

Try Elite's beta 9r rom. Alot of people saying performance doesn't degrade after a few days.

iplaman

Aug 28, 2010
I tried:
JellyTab
HellyBean
SlimBean
Cyanogenmod10 (pawitp)
X-bean
Paranoidandroid

Exactly the same here. Back to slimics.
Waiting until Jellybean builds will be faster and stable

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda app-developers app

deady2k

Apr 7, 2011
I have also problems with JB. I have CM10 last version.

My phone always had this bug, when I restart the phone, even under ICS, my RAM after a while shows 0.0 MB free RAM.
If this happens my phone is not useable. Even while reading an sms the App gets killed by the system.

In ICS 2-3 restarts an the Problem was gone and it stays at this value. On JB nothing helps exept the DEVIL Kernel.

Anyone else with this kind of problem?

jelle2503

Mar 12, 2011
anyone still not on cm10 doesnt know how to wipe and restore data

srsly they are missing out on fastest rom for i9000

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9000 met Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Speedup for slow I/O

Hello,

I have the same problem with slowiness. The problem seems to be in slow I/O operations - I have checked developer options -> show CPU usage and the blue bar is dominating. Also vmstat -n 10 in terminal shows a lot of time spent in WA. If I flash ICS slim it does not have this problem.

The simple solution for that is to switch back to writeback journalling. For some reason the alpha generates a ordered journalled /data partition, which is horribly slow.

tune2fs -o journal_data_writeback /dev/block/mmcblk0p2

helps with that a lot. It is the single most dramatic speedup I ever experienced, and it seems to run overall very smooth now.
    I am using the cm10 unofficial its smooth as hell
    It's the launcher, most likely. I ran into that problem as well.

I'm on iall5tar's GNex ROM 4.1.1 Port and it's smoother than ICS, which was already fairly impressive.

Our i9000's are old, but each software upgrade is just that—an upgrade. JB is better than ICS, and ICS was better than GB. We didn't get the official update because Samsung thought their Touchwiz skinned ICS wouldn't run on our hardware. In reality, it was likely because they didn't want to spend money updating a device they no longer sold. Not because our phones couldn't actually run it.

My phone has no been faster than it is now, with JB. Blame the ROM, not the OS or the hardware.
    The clue in most cases lies in the term Alpha! You flash Alpha roms you are in effect becoming a tester, so don't grumble....work towards finding solutions and posting relevant feedback and bug reports ;)
    The clue in most cases lies in the term Alpha! You flash Alpha roms you are in effect becoming a tester, so don't grumble....work towards finding solutions and posting relevant feedback and bug reports ;)

this slowness is because v6 is based on pawitp's CM10 build which has datadata deleted and used instead of it slower data/data.

try derteufel's JellyBean v2 - it works like a charm!