General Journal: A brand new OPPO Find X3 Pro (UK/EE) - From new to clean de-bloated android (hopefully)

Search This thread

PaulGWebster

To start this journal I will begin by stating, I am not actually sure if it will be possible to finish this journal; from what I have read there can be quite a number of obstacles with international versions of the OPPO, some of which can be quite troublesome, but I thought it would be an interesting and hopefully helpful (for my self and anyone else wanting to do the same) way of going through the process with such a modern device.

The device arrives tomorrow, I wanted to get the initial post in without knowing precise details about the device.

I will update this primary post with the journal entries and post into the main thread when I update it going forwards

-- Entry 1 29/01/2022 00:21 (Dellivery today at some point!)

So far I have found out that cpw means car phone warehouse, which used(still is?) a store in the uk, 'EE' a network provider in the UK releases of the Oppo x3 find pro are apparently identical to releases from this store.

I have asked the user who informed me of this if they could possible put any information they are aware of within this thread.

Also, I will be doing the unboxing and initial looking at what it is via youtube I hope this is ok? I could not see a way to embed video onto this platform!

-- Entry 2 29/01/2022 10:53 (Delivery)

This is just a few images of the arrived device, simply unboxed and put on charge nothing has been set on the device what so ever.

j2_20220129_102226.jpgj2_20220129_101730.jpgj2_20220129_101816.jpgj2_20220129_101906.jpgj2_20220129_101944.jpgj2_20220129_102129.jpgj2_20220129_102416.jpgj2_20220129_102424.jpgj2_20220129_103959 1.jpgj2_20220129_102202.jpg

Also note that this image showing the build number is by @alvydas it is not from my device yet! just some more information to add to the journal, this is believed to be the same as mine should show later on when I decide to video/start the phone up :)

Also for note the CPH (Possible related to CarPhoneWarehouse) prefix in the build number)

alvydasd2_1.png

-- Entry 3 29/01/2022 13:11 (Turning on, Bootloader unlock, USB Debugging enabled)

Youtube video:
- May still be processing the HD version in google HQ!

j3_phone_screenshot_build.jpg

-- Entry 4 30/01/2022 10:53 (Getting sorted)

Ok so we can't root it and we can't change the boot laoder .... however we can get novo launcher to start by default! The pro version at least!

Not exactly an amazing feat but hey its progress, I also removed the gmail mail application as I preffer outlook (mainly because I have 3 email accounts):

Screenshot_2022-01-30-15-10-11-22_3822ac0e29cfec8970059bb21d01f05e.jpg

And boy .... you can really remove everything including:

130|OP4F57L1:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.oppo.launcher

The coloros launcher its self X_X, so it seems you cannot get root, but there is no protected package, you can remove ANYTHING.

so this bodes the question .... other than wanting lineage OS of course, how thin can we get it ....

-- Entry 3 10/02/2022 10:53 (Hackery and cleaning)

.... So there is no fastboot on the international model, it is simply not there I even got EE them self to confirm this.

However, I have made some progress in discovering a way to get to the qualcomm flashable download mode, that is it will show up as a:

1644173469270-png.5529971

One of those (if you have the Qualcomm drivers installed), some information I put in the forum about this mode was this:

1) Turn the phone off (shutdown) 2) Hold the power button and the Vol up/down (I Forget which) down all the way through the phone starting, you will feel a little Bzzzzz 3) you will be presented with a menu probably in chinese, this is because you held down the power button and it auto selected the first language (its not a biggie), just press the back touch screen button in the top left <-- 4) Select english (or chinese if you preffer!) 5) you will be presented with a menu that has 3 options, Format, Reboot, .... something else ... 6) Select none of the options! look to the bottom of the screen you will see a version mine was v12 o3 v1.2 - double tap this 7) you will get a warning you are entering 'customer service mode', and wallah .... you will get the device show up in device manager.

I was going to shoot a video of this, I still might! but its rather redundant at this point as I am now at a brick wall, I need to figure out how to deal with this mode, can I flash something to it .... how?

I am scrubbing the phone of all the bloatware I can and to be honest I have it pretty damn clean .... but still the fastmode is elusive and what else could be loaded onto this lovely phone.

Last edited:

PaulGWebster

Also have to figure out if all the fancy camera things will work with a custom rom, such as the microscope mode and all the advanced functionalities

Maybe the best initial tangent is to simply root the phone and remove any bloatware as well as installing novolauncher, followed by re-rooting it

That way I will not lose the ability to use the special camera functions and in turn still receive updates, I believe I can actually freeze certain packages too so they are effectively immutable, so they show up but can never run or be changed ... hmmm

Last edited:

alvydasd2

Nov 2, 2016
Oppo Reno Ace
OPPO Find X2 Pro
So now next up I believe its rooting the phone :) should be fun, also I beleive there is a way to root a phone but hide it from applications like paypal ... would love to find more out on this
Rooting ain't gonna be easy on this phone that's if you can unlock the bootloader which is pretty much impossible unless you have a Chinese variant of the phone or somehow figure out a way to root it without unlocking the bootloader would be a miracle

PaulGWebster

Rooting ain't gonna be easy on this phone that's if you can unlock the bootloader which is pretty much impossible unless you have a Chinese variant of the phone or somehow figure out a way to root it without unlocking the bootloader would be a miracle
Check the youtube video, I appear to have lol ... though I did notice that going into the recovery menu is all in chinese ... so I assume its the chinese version:

20220129_142320.jpg

Last edited:

alvydasd2

Nov 2, 2016
Oppo Reno Ace
OPPO Find X2 Pro
Usually first thing when you open recovery is choosing a language idk why English wasn't there and btw the difference between the builds is you're running lower firmware so if you try to update it you should get the same build number as me and if u had the Chinese version your model would have been PEEM00 or something like that

PaulGWebster

Usually first thing when you open recovery is choosing a language idk why English wasn't there and btw the difference between the builds is you're running lower firmware so if you try to update it you should get the same build number as me and if u had the Chinese version your model would have been PEEM00 or something like that
ah ha I held the button down to long it auto selected chinese somehow I pressed back and got the recovery options ... not seeing TWRP though ... and when I do a TWP fastboot it does not boot into the bootloader...

The OEM Bootloader though is saying its unlocked in dev options

alvydasd2

Nov 2, 2016
Oppo Reno Ace
OPPO Find X2 Pro
ah ha I held the button down to long it auto selected chinese somehow I pressed back and got the recovery options ... not seeing TWRP though ... and when I do a TWP fastboot it does not boot into the bootloader...

The OEM Bootloader though is saying its unlocked in dev options
Oppo has a weird bootloader cuz it can only be unlocked with an app that only works on Chinese version and to access fastboot u need a unlocked bootloader

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok so on my CLEAN EVERYTHING patrol I found an interesting problem ... notable these:

pm uninstall --user 0 com.heytap.music pm uninstall --user 0 com.heytap.openid pm uninstall --user 0 com.heytap.mcs pm uninstall --user 0 com.heytap.themestore pm uninstall --user 0 com.heytap.cast pm uninstall --user 0 com.heytap.datamigration

And finally ....

pm uninstall --user 0 com.heytap.appplatform

Now you may be wondering why I am posting about these particular applications, after all I already proved you could remove the entire of ColorOS and the phone still not softlock ....

Well that is not the case with these 7, I do not really know what heytap is ... it seems to be like 'the oppo shop' in chinese or something? but if you remove it, the phone will soft lock / constant reboot.

You can however after lots of testing remove all of it except 'com.heytap.appplatform' so yes .... for anyone who ever reads this, do not remove 'com.heytap.appplatform' instaed freeze/disable it :)
    To start this journal I will begin by stating, I am not actually sure if it will be possible to finish this journal; from what I have read there can be quite a number of obstacles with international versions of the OPPO, some of which can be quite troublesome, but I thought it would be an interesting and hopefully helpful (for my self and anyone else wanting to do the same) way of going through the process with such a modern device.

The device arrives tomorrow, I wanted to get the initial post in without knowing precise details about the device.

I will update this primary post with the journal entries and post into the main thread when I update it going forwards

-- Entry 1 29/01/2022 00:21 (Dellivery today at some point!)

So far I have found out that cpw means car phone warehouse, which used(still is?) a store in the uk, 'EE' a network provider in the UK releases of the Oppo x3 find pro are apparently identical to releases from this store.

I have asked the user who informed me of this if they could possible put any information they are aware of within this thread.

Also, I will be doing the unboxing and initial looking at what it is via youtube I hope this is ok? I could not see a way to embed video onto this platform!

-- Entry 2 29/01/2022 10:53 (Delivery)

This is just a few images of the arrived device, simply unboxed and put on charge nothing has been set on the device what so ever.

j2_20220129_102226.jpgj2_20220129_101730.jpgj2_20220129_101816.jpgj2_20220129_101906.jpgj2_20220129_101944.jpgj2_20220129_102129.jpgj2_20220129_102416.jpgj2_20220129_102424.jpgj2_20220129_103959 1.jpgj2_20220129_102202.jpg

Also note that this image showing the build number is by @alvydas it is not from my device yet! just some more information to add to the journal, this is believed to be the same as mine should show later on when I decide to video/start the phone up :)

Also for note the CPH (Possible related to CarPhoneWarehouse) prefix in the build number)

alvydasd2_1.png

-- Entry 3 29/01/2022 13:11 (Turning on, Bootloader unlock, USB Debugging enabled)

Youtube video:
    - May still be processing the HD version in google HQ!

j3_phone_screenshot_build.jpg

-- Entry 4 30/01/2022 10:53 (Getting sorted)

Ok so we can't root it and we can't change the boot laoder .... however we can get novo launcher to start by default! The pro version at least!

Not exactly an amazing feat but hey its progress, I also removed the gmail mail application as I preffer outlook (mainly because I have 3 email accounts):

Screenshot_2022-01-30-15-10-11-22_3822ac0e29cfec8970059bb21d01f05e.jpg

And boy .... you can really remove everything including:

130|OP4F57L1:/ $ pm uninstall --user 0 com.oppo.launcher

The coloros launcher its self X_X, so it seems you cannot get root, but there is no protected package, you can remove ANYTHING.

so this bodes the question .... other than wanting lineage OS of course, how thin can we get it ....

-- Entry 3 10/02/2022 10:53 (Hackery and cleaning)

.... So there is no fastboot on the international model, it is simply not there I even got EE them self to confirm this.

However, I have made some progress in discovering a way to get to the qualcomm flashable download mode, that is it will show up as a:

1644173469270-png.5529971

One of those (if you have the Qualcomm drivers installed), some information I put in the forum about this mode was this:

1) Turn the phone off (shutdown) 2) Hold the power button and the Vol up/down (I Forget which) down all the way through the phone starting, you will feel a little Bzzzzz 3) you will be presented with a menu probably in chinese, this is because you held down the power button and it auto selected the first language (its not a biggie), just press the back touch screen button in the top left <-- 4) Select english (or chinese if you preffer!) 5) you will be presented with a menu that has 3 options, Format, Reboot, .... something else ... 6) Select none of the options! look to the bottom of the screen you will see a version mine was v12 o3 v1.2 - double tap this 7) you will get a warning you are entering 'customer service mode', and wallah .... you will get the device show up in device manager.

I was going to shoot a video of this, I still might! but its rather redundant at this point as I am now at a brick wall, I need to figure out how to deal with this mode, can I flash something to it .... how?

I am scrubbing the phone of all the bloatware I can and to be honest I have it pretty damn clean .... but still the fastmode is elusive and what else could be loaded onto this lovely phone.
    The CPW in the build number is more of a guess than anything else we all could be wrong
    Ok so for added fun, full nova launcher ... all stripped down there is no restriction as far as I can tell from running commands directly as root via ADB, and no dbrand cases!
    Can you use adb to change the build prop without root? If so how?
    have you managed to remove this heytap shortcut from settings? I have removed:
    com.heytap.music
    com.heytap.mcs
    com.heytap.accessory
    as these are the only heytap apks in my phone but still having this :(

View attachment 5535649
    yeah I have not got rd of that yet, but I have an idea :) I will give it a try at the weekend though as im pretty sure I am about to softlock the phone and have to hard reset it lol