joying 2GB sofia headunits-common thread for all audio topics:USB DAC,music player...

Search This thread

kampfschachtel

Mar 6, 2017
Wädenswil
Thank you surfer63...
If I need to flash anyhow, update to Android 6 would be an option...or still wait? Release 28 May seems to be best, true?
How is the Android 6 performing regarding audio topics?
Read it support USB Dac. So the volume control works without mod. Can you adapt the volume of the different input sources in the car setting (like radio, BT audio, Mac)?
Doesn't work with 5.1 and USB mod, main reason I would change to 6 if this works...google maps voice is screaming on softer, the lowest volume option and for ixia bug there a fix too. All mods are available for 6 too.
Anything that should keep me away from 6?

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
github.com
Thank you surfer63...
If I need to flash anyhow, update to Android 6 would be an option...or still wait? Release 28 May seems to be best, true?
How is the Android 6 performing regarding audio topics?
Read it support USB Dac. So the volume control works without mod. Can you adapt the volume of the different input sources in the car setting (like radio, BT audio, Mac)?
Doesn't work with 5.1 and USB mod, main reason I would change to 6 if this works...google maps voice is screaming on softer, the lowest volume option and for ixia bug there a fix too. All mods are available for 6 too.
Anything that should keep me away from 6?
The 6.0.1 as such is now stable enough. Applying mods does not always work.
I have no idea about the audio stuff as I'm really not interested in that.
AssassinsLament did not upgrade the SofiaServer to the latest USBDAC mods yet. His mods are either at the 08 or 12 May version. I'm not sure.
By creating diffs between AssassinsLament 6.1 versions and the 6.3 Gustden versions, it should not be too difficult to create new V6.3 USBDAC versions.
(Note that due to personal circumstances AssassinsLament hardly participates at the moment. Hopefully he will be back in a few weeks).

rotorocks

Aug 15, 2014
I install an external audio device to the AUX ports on the back of the HU.
Is there a way to hear the audio signal from AUX during Navigation or simply on the Home screen?

Gesendet von meinem SM-T825 mit Tapatalk

kampfschachtel

Mar 6, 2017
Wädenswil
The only way to fix this is to flash it again with the 14 March update.
Put it on a USB key, put a needle in the reset hole for 3-6 seconds, and the unit will reinstall.
Done that. Unit starts installing and shows the android guy BUT after 5mm in the progress bar it stops and shut off without any error...
The same 3 times, with 28 March firmware (upgrade at the same Time) and 14 March current.
What to Do now???

kampfschachtel

Mar 6, 2017
Wädenswil
is it possible to install Dolby atmos on Joying?

No and it makes no sense acoustically either. From room volume, distances and room height of the cabin Dolby Digital 5.1 need to be used.
Joying just supports stereo and also digitally via USB out it is a PCM stereo signal with 16bit/44 or 48Khz.
you can install viper4 android, and you can download a DolbyDigital 5.1 plug in for it that simulates the 5.1 very well. look for the post in this thread from AssassinsLament, where he describes the settings for viper too.

kampfschachtel

Mar 6, 2017
Wädenswil
Can somebody who is on Android 6 and using a USB DAC please try the following and report:
Can you adapt the volume of the different input sources in the car setting (like radio, BT audio, Mac) under volume setting (with code 3368) , do this adjustments have an effect means do they work?
Means eg I have the radio playing and the navigation directions comes up, so I can adjust in the car setting menu the volume of the radio and the navigation seperatly.

Read that Andorid 6 supporta USB Dac without mod. So I understand the volume control works without mod too, correct?
In 5.1.1 the above doesn't work (means the volume setting adjustments in the car setting menu have no effect at all) because of the volume mod needed, so eg in google maps the directions are played with very high volume which cannot be adjusted (already on softer in maps settings) lower due to the USB DAC volume mod.
My unit is bricked at the moment and needs a complete new install and only reason I would switch to Andoid 6 is if the above is working. Everything else works in 5.1.1 like I want, just this one thing not.

Last edited:

Dutch3raser

Mar 30, 2017
Hello guys,
I just finished installing my sound and I notice a small constant beep in the sound when not playing any sound.
When muting the device; the beep stops. I've tried it with an USB DAC on a PC separately where this didn't occur.
When I lower the amplifier's gain the beep gets softer too. On my old speakers I didn't notice this sound either (also with the amp).
Do you guys have this sound too when amplifying the Joying unit?

Greetings,
D3

Reactions: gtxaspec

frankienones

Sep 3, 2008
Aalesund
Hello guys,
I just finished installing my sound and I notice a small constant beep in the sound when not playing any sound.
When muting the device; the beep stops. I've tried it with an USB DAC on a PC separately where this didn't occur.
When I lower the amplifier's gain the beep gets softer too. On my old speakers I didn't notice this sound either (also with the amp).

Greetings,
D3

Yes,had the same issue..using pre outs.
That is one of the reason i choose the DAC route

PsychoMcSatan

Sep 8, 2012
Wakanada
Red Magic 6S Pro
Hello guys,

Greetings,
D3

I'm using pre-outs to an external amp, but no beep or any other noise. I did have buzzing initially that seemed to correspond to CPU activity (like dragging windows around) but that was fixed with ground loop isolator.

I don't think ground loop is your issue though, as it wouldn't be stopped by muting.

Dutch3raser

Mar 30, 2017
I forgot to check replies, sorry guys for the late response.

Yes,had the same issue..using pre outs.
That is one of the reason i choose the DAC route

I noticed with my Hewlett Packard DAC (quite old one) that the sound wasn't so bright. Is that better on the DACs mentioned in the main post?
They aren't expensive either so I'm really thinking it would be a good choice.

I'm using pre-outs to an external amp, but no beep or any other noise. I did have buzzing initially that seemed to correspond to CPU activity (like dragging windows around) but that was fixed with ground loop isolator.

I don't think ground loop is your issue though, as it wouldn't be stopped by muting.

I first had problems with ground loop (then amp didn't work at all) and fixed. But I will just check it again just to be sure :)

Adibee

Nov 27, 2010
St Cloud
Hi All,
I was able to install the surfer63's BusyBox and the Viper4Android into my Sofia 6.01 unit. Seems like Vipe4android is working under the PhoneSpeakertab and not the Headset tab like the person that uploaded a video of it. (Drive status shows Processing=Yes). But the problem is when I try to add the equalizers the music starts getting the distorted. Is this due to the wrong Busybox. If so can someone please walk me through on how to install the busybox that AssassinsLament has uploaded since it's not an actual apk file?

edit

May 25, 2006
Hi All,
I was able to install the surfer63's BusyBox and the Viper4Android into my Sofia 6.01 unit. Seems like Vipe4android is working under the PhoneSpeakertab and not the Headset tab like the person that uploaded a video of it. (Drive status shows Processing=Yes). But the problem is when I try to add the equalizers the music starts getting the distorted. Is this due to the wrong Busybox. If so can someone please walk me through on how to install the busybox that AssassinsLament has uploaded since it's not an actual apk file?

The EQ section from Viper does not work with Joying Intel Sofia Android 6. There is no solution to fix the problem.
I was the only one complaining about the issue so I assume that very few people use Viper around here.

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
github.com
Hi All,

The first script of AssassinsLament needed an updated busybox for the install. The busybox delivered with the Joyings is limited.
If you install viper4android via my apk you don't need busybox.
So again: busybox was only needed for the install! It has nothing to do with the functioning (or not) of viper4android itself.

And for the rest: @edit is right.

Adibee

Nov 27, 2010
St Cloud
The first script of AssassinsLament needed an updated busybox for the install. The busybox delivered with the Joyings is limited.
If you install viper4android via my apk you don't need busybox.
So again: busybox was only needed for the install! It has nothing to do with the functioning (or not) of viper4android itself.

And for the rest: @edit is right.

Ah I see that makes sense. Great job on that app man. I cam across that when I did a search abt busybox and Joying. It's a powerful tool and I love it :D. It's a bummer that I can't use Viper4Android but I am planning to add Subs and Amp for my car anyway so I guess I won't be needing Viper4Android.

You guys rock!

mwhelan182

Sep 11, 2017
Help! =(

Hi! I'm not sure if this is the right place to post it, but from what I can tell, this is probably the best place to ask..
I had a joying unit installed over the weekend (JY-VM130N2 in a 2006 golf gti)

And with a few kinks and settings played with, it seemed to work well.
However after I connected to wifi and some apps updated and installed (trying out Android auto, etc) it seems that the volume no longer works.
The knob turns, and when it does the indicator on the screen goes from 0 (mute, which works) then 1 (which sound comes on) all the way up to 36.
However the sound level at 1 is the same as the level at 36..
I can control the volume through my phone when playing through Bluetooth, however it is hardly loud enough.
I tried a factory reset which didn't fix anything, and the help forum for Joying wasn't helpful. I found this thread, and to be completely honest, I have no idea what a lot of it means, but I have a good history with android phones, and am hoping that there is a solution to this, as googling for the past day has lead me here.

Any help or point in the right direction would be awesome.

Thanks everyone

Mike

luciusfox

Aug 10, 2017
Hi! I'm not sure if this is the right place to post it, but from what I can tell, this is probably the best place to ask..

However after I connected to wifi and some apps updated and installed (trying out Android auto, etc) it seems that the volume no longer works.
The knob turns, and when it does the indicator on the screen goes from 0 (mute, which works) then 1 (which sound comes on) all the way up to 36.
I can control the volume through my phone when playing through Bluetooth, however it is hardly loud enough.
I tried a factory reset which didn't fix anything, and the help forum for Joying wasn't helpful. I found this thread, and to be completely honest, I have no idea what a lot of it means, but I have a good history with android phones, and am hoping that there is a solution to this, as googling for the past day has lead me here.

Thanks everyone

Mike

Have you tried resetting it with a toothpick in the little hole on the front? As strange as that sounds, it could actually make a difference if the problem is in the MCU's volatile memory.

What exactly is everything you did to adjust the thing?

ziofester70

Feb 13, 2017

Thanks everyone

Mike
What protocol have you tried in car settings?
Try box company: RZC
Car System: Volkswagen
Model selection: All
Protocol box: RZC.XP(L)
Password 3368
Let me know if works.

Reactions: bgroper

james272

Mar 19, 2011
Hi
i bought joying 10 inch head unit( http://s.aliexpress.com/VfErUvyi ) and installed power amp (https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Subwoofers/Powered+Subwoofer/TS-WX120A) also bought usb dac http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCM2704-USB...Card-Decoder-Board-Aluminum-case/171822774894 and i changed TDA 7380 to TDA 7850 chip after that i feel sound improved but i have no idea how i can install USB DAC into my car.
this is backside of joying .
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B17dp6Nz4OuGRS1iOXJjQnk3VkE/view?usp=sharing
i can guess joying usb cable to connect to socket of usb dac but this usb dac product only one coacial input so how to connect to joying?
also if i changed to tda 7850 i don't need to install usb dac? or if i install usb dac i can feel more improved sound quality?
i went car center but they don't know about usb dac :(
thanks in advance! pls help me

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

I created this thread as a common one for all topics related to audio as the Joying Sofia Units are in the frist place car audio equipment and 2nd a android tablet with an analog amp and switchboard.
    There are already a selection of threads out in the forum but they are very hard to find and I will volunteer to do the same as user gusten and make a summary here in this first post as tips&tricks regarding all audio topics in this thread so you have an overview.
    Users please respect this is audio related topics ONLY so we don't get a mess. Thank you.

Major topics here are:
    - all sound out via USB out to use a external DAC to get the joying to a total new sound quality level
    How to get a USB sound out (big thank you to https://xdaforums.com/member.php?u=503463 for this):
    "mod all audio out via USB out"
    to get USB sound out and the DACs below working you need to perform this mod
    https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=71532787&postcount=201 and https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=71536897&postcount=215 and https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=71539324&postcount=216
    file to download: https://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4084494&d=1490188105:
    Ok, attached is the audio_policy.conf file zipped. So just unzip the file, and replace the original file located at /system/etc/audio_policy.conf with the one in the zip. You can do this via adb or root file manager. The joying need to be rooted before for this mod. Also, make sure the permissions on the file are 0644.
    Discussion about USB-DAC setup is here: https://xdaforums.com/android-auto/android-head-units/android-5-1-head-unit-usb-audio-dac-t3426604

to test if a DAC is recognised or not you don't need to mod/root your joying:
    how to test your USB DAC:
    1) download the neutron player: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.neutroncode.mpeval
    2) connect your USB dac with USB to the joying and put any headphone as output or RCA out to any amp you have avaliable.
    3) start the neutron player
    4) let neutron search your libary automatically
    5) play any track that neutron shows (eg the navi Mp3)
    => if you get sound on your headphones/amp, the joying is recognising your DAC. If the DAC has volume buttons, test them to see if volume control works.
    => if no, the joying doesn't recognise it. Send it back.

- list of USB DACs that work, partly work with workaround to make it work and which DACs don't.
    All DACs working with Andoid 5 will also work with Android 6 as the generic drivers build in are the same and some additional drivers added. But some DACs that don't work with Android 5 will maybe work with 6, so please try them and give feedback please.
    working USB DACs: all need the" USB out with volume control" mod
    Helix Pro MK2 with the USB module works also with just the USB out without volume control as it has its own master volume
    Behringer UAC202 which has a DAC Chip TI/Burr Brown PCM2902 => http://nwavguy.blogspot.ch/2011/02/behringer-uca202-review.html
    all DACs based on the DAC Chip from TI/Burr Brown PCM 2704 => has better Specs then the PCM 2902
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCM2704-USB...Card-Decoder-Board-Aluminum-case/171822774894 (kampfschachtel)
    https://www.amazon.de/PCM2704-Soundkarte-Glasfaser-Koaxial-Ausgang/dp/B016CZ2NK6
    Muse: http://www.thanksbuyer.com/muse-min...l-decoder-usb-to-s-pdif-converter-black-24562

partly working USB DACs:
    ASUS Xonar U3 Exellent sound , but not able to control volume from Head Unit

not working USB DACs

to understand the topic Android and USB audio better, this is a great article:

http://apcmag.com/the-ins-and-outs-of-android-usb-audio.htm/

- hardware mods regarding sound (e.g. TDA amp replacement with Pioneer Amp)
    replacing TDA 7380 (4x30W) with Pioneer PA2030A (4x60W) much better sound&bass or TDA7850 (4x50W 4ohm or 4x85W 2Ohm): http://forum.carjoying.com/thread-4...ar-view-camera-problem-changing-tda-7388.html

Adb to Wifi app (turn on and off adb on the joying, eg. restart the ADB server which sometimes stops working after reboot)
    https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=71616884&postcount=273

- l[B Viper4Joying mod [/B] a must have for every sofia joying out there,results in a much better sound and provides a 11 channel EQ. (need to be rooted for this mod)
    for Android 5.1.1
    Viper4android and compatible busybox: how to install, modified version for the joying Sofia Intel: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=72123641&postcount=134
    You need to install the busybox from this link too, the busybox version provided by surfer69 is not compatible with V4A.
    The apk is best to be in the /system/priv-apps folder. On PowerAmp, you need to turn off "Direct Volume Control." On some other apps, you need to disable "MusicFX" .
    For Android 6:
    Viper4android and compatible busybox: how to install, modified version for the joying Sofia Intel: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=72123641&postcount=134
    You need to install the busybox from this link too, the busybox version provided by surfer69 is not compatible with V4A.
    The apk is best to be in the /system/priv-apps folder. On PowerAmp, you need to turn off "Direct Volume Control." On some other apps, you need to disable "MusicFX" .

How to tweak Viper4androids to get the best Sound: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=72207583&postcount=164

- Apps, plugins, mods that upgrade the 3-band equlizer
    Viper4jJoying mod is fixing that too

modified DAB+ app:
    highly recommended fo people using the DAB+ app. Great changes and fixes:
    https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=72696072&postcount=47
    huge thank you to realzoulou for his work on this. Finally one of my most used apps are running like it should.

DAB+ reception problems:
    issue is mostly a wrong location of your DAB+ antenna. I figured the delivered DAB+ antenna has a surprisingly good reception quality but close to e.g. an ECU the reception is near 0 due to the HF frequency field produced by the ECU "kills" the DAB+ signal so the DAB+ antenna has nothing to receive.
    Here you find DAB+ tips for antenna position and points to be taken care to chose the right one.
    https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=71700817&postcount=64

How to run Pandora in Europe on your joying: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=72015408&postcount=120

to be continued.
    XDA rocks. Thank you for everybody participating and making the joying a great sounding device, stock it is not but huge potential is there :)
    Part bought! I'll keep everyone up to date on the swap how it goes!

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

Yes

So, a little update on the chip swap... it didn't happen tonight as expected. USPS sucks and did not deliver today as I was expecting. I'll be doing this on Friday and update you guys
    Some update and hints on DAB+ and antenna positioning:
    Till saturday I thought the DAC+ stick and its Antenna is a piece of crap, bad reception and sound. On saturday I discover that I made a huge mistake by handling and placing/positioning the DAB+ Antenna, where I was used to put DAB, GPS and radio FM antenna from 25 years of car stereo experience for best reception.
    I was installing the joying permanently and routing cables all over the car. The DAB+ antenna was positioned underneath the dashboard but only GFK+Leather above it and GPS antenna next to it which has a very good reception, also the FM glass antennas on the front window. As the long cable from the DAB+ Antenna was in the way for routing some other cables, I threw it together with the antenna behind the seat on the top shelf/rear window but still connected to joying just to have them out of the way. Suddenly DAB+ started playing with 80% reception in my workshop with in general very bad reception conditions.
    I started moving around the antenna in and outside of the car+ measured reception signal+signal strength:
    1) the antenna of the joying is actually very good in reception quality if (!!!) placed right, will be hard to find a better one and if then it will cost 3 digit minimum
    2) best place for DAB+ antenna is min. 30cm away from all ECUs, thick cable "pipelines" and other High frequency stuff like phone or hifi amplifier with nothing above it and antenna has to be placed 100% vertical. I figured that DAB+ is extremly senstive to HF frequency that every ECU, big cable junks, amps automatically delivers and this reduces massivly the DAB+ signal quality and strength the Antenna can receive. Put DAB+ Antenna 20cm to a ECU and signal strength is only 20%, 10cm is only 5% but 40cm away delivers alreay 90% signal strength, 50cm 100%. And the rear shelf in my R8 turns out to be the optimum place, nothing around in a circle of 50cm around, nothing above it. Wouldn't expect this at all, radio antenna placed there is horrible from reception quality and signal strength as behind the glasswall the Injection from the middle engine V8 is sitting which influcences FM strongly but not DAB+.
    on a 200km testdrive today DAB+ in the rear window with perfect reception. Only 2 small interrupts where the root cause is the DAB+ app which has a too small buffer for buffering reception data upfront so it can "cover" small interrupts with no reception. Another thing I discovered is when DAB+ is playing well in the background and IGo primo navigation is running at the same time then the joying has performance problems.
    The DAB+ sound sometimes/playing a voice for some seconds that sounds like Darth Wader because it has no capacity to decode the digital stream from DAB+ as it needs all his performance for the IGo primo and routing.
    Is there an app which replaces the 3-Band Equalizer to min 11Band, better 15 Band?
    Means it works on the output of the joying doesn't matter if I use Spotify, FMRadio or Navi and not only inside a player app.

The 3 EQ sliders are controlling the hardware EQ on the built in DAC which only has 3 bands so there is no equivalent solution with more bands. Viper4android will do this in software though.
    So I have an Intel SoFia based Joying with an FYT6021, and the sound quality is poor. I already have a custom ROM with viper4android and it improved some quality issues.
    Now it goes:
    Joying HU Chinch Pre-Out's> Focal FPX4.400SQ > Eton POW160.2 (front)
    But I want to do it like this:
    Joying USB out > Behringer UCA 202 > Focal FPX4.400SQ > Eton POW160.2 (front) for Music and listening quality

But if I do this.... I am only able to control the Loudness for the "Quality-Setup" from the Behringer UCA 202 and not from the Volume buttons from the HU? or is there another recommended DCA which support to adjust the loudness from the HU buttons? I don't mind that some App's doesnt work with a USB DCA. I always listen to music with an USB Stick, and with the Launcher I use, the BT Audio App doesn't work anyways, so no Problem. But I do want that the Buttons from the HU does work.

Thanks for any help.
    For a USB-DAC this only works with Xposed and XSofiaTweaker/XFYtTweaker. If you have the gtxaspec custom rom you have xposed. Install XSofiaTweaker (seems to work better on Sofia especially with regard to volume settings). See my signature for further explanation and this thread.