• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Joying Android 10 - unreliable GPS

Search This thread

TheOtherLeft

Sep 14, 2021
Hi all,

I just bought a new Joying 9" headunit with Android 10. I'm finding the GPS is very unreliable. It will fix on satellites but then quickly lose connection. It will then continually reconnect/disconnect. It's quite obvious when using my mapping apps that it's lost connection. The GPS receiver is mounted just under the dashboard and there is no metal above it.

Is there a way to increase the connection reliability? I have downloaded the GPS Locker app but it loses connection but still 'locked'. I've read some GPS receivers need a metal sheet underneath to act as a ground plane. Is this necessary?

TheOtherLeft

Sep 14, 2021
To temporarily get around this problem I installed GPS Tether on both my phone (Moto G9+) and the Joying HU. This bypasses the Joying GPS and uses my phone GPS which is monumentally more accurate and stable then the Joying GPS until I work out the problem.

Bob_Sanders

Jul 17, 2019
Winnipeg
Hi all,

I just bought a new Joying 9" headunit with Android 10. I'm finding the GPS is very unreliable. It will fix on satellites but then quickly lose connection. It will then continually reconnect/disconnect. It's quite obvious when using my mapping apps that it's lost connection. The GPS receiver is mounted just under the dashboard and there is no metal above it.

Is there a way to increase the connection reliability? I have downloaded the GPS Locker app but it loses connection but still 'locked'. I've read some GPS receivers need a metal sheet underneath to act as a ground plane. Is this necessary?
Last time that happened to me it turned out that I didn't have the antenna screwed onto the connector tight enough.

TheOtherLeft

Sep 14, 2021
I just checked the GPS connectors and it was a bit loose. I suspect it wasn't grounding on the metal case very well. I tightened them and took it for a drive. The reliability has increased and when the car is stationary it gets a solid signal but when driving still loses GPS signal.
Any ideas?

Bob_Sanders

Jul 17, 2019
Winnipeg
I just checked the GPS connectors and it was a bit loose. I suspect it wasn't grounding on the metal case very well. I tightened them and took it for a drive. The reliability has increased and when the car is stationary it gets a solid signal but when driving still loses GPS signal.
Any ideas?
Where on the vehicle is your gps antenna located?

It should be located at the highest point of the vehicle, with no metal objects anywhere in its path to the sky.

TheOtherLeft

Sep 14, 2021
I've had a play with the location of the GPS. I can say the quality of the Joying supplied GPS is very poor as the cable is very susceptible to EMI. Also even if the cable is coiled up then it loses reception. I'm not sure if this a problem with all GPS receivers but the sensitivity is quite poor as well, because if the receiver is outside of the car then it gets reception even in the garage, however if the gps is placed on top of the dashboard then it loses reception.

Foresterawd

Feb 3, 2009
NOP
Hi, does your car have a windscreen with metal coating to prevent warming up the interior?
This can cause your problem, or your GPS is faulty.
Placing your GPS near a side window could be a solution.
I have also a Joying with android 10 and no issue at all with GPS.

Last edited:

TheOtherLeft

Sep 14, 2021
Hi, does your car have a windscreen with metal coating to prevent warming up the interior?
This can cause your problem, or your GPS is faulty.
Placing your GPS near a side window could be a solution.
I have also a Joying with android 10 and no issue at all with GPS.
The GPS wouldn't work when mounted just underneath the dash. There was only plastic above it, not metal. I then mounted it sitting on top of the dash - middle, furthest forward. Now it works very well. Being a black GPS sitting on a black dash doesn't look too bad but it is noticeable.
I suspect the quality of the GPS from Joying is very poor. There are no brand markings on it so it's probably the cheapest they could source. I made sure the cable to the GPS was uncoiled as this seems to affect it as well.

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
wombleton
The GPS wouldn't work when mounted just underneath the dash. There was only plastic above it, not metal. I then mounted it sitting on top of the dash - middle, furthest forward. Now it works very well. Being a black GPS sitting on a black dash doesn't look too bad but it is noticeable.
I suspect the quality of the GPS from Joying is very poor. There are no brand markings on it so it's probably the cheapest they could source. I made sure the cable to the GPS was uncoiled as this seems to affect it as well.

Most OEM units have GPS receiver mounted inside dash, in centre, under plastic. Toyota Blade, Prius, Lexus etc.

Reactions: surfer63

Bob_Sanders

Jul 17, 2019
Winnipeg
I think the GPS (antenna) quality is all the same across these Chinese units. It's a matter of making sure your connections are secure and making contact.... and a matter of antenna placement.

I have a jeep with a changeable top (hard top and soft top). The OEM antenna placement is the same for all jeeps (on top of the center roll bar). The hard top is all fiberglass and I have not issues at all with the gps. The soft top however sometimes presents some minor issues because of a metal bar in the top which runs pretty near to the antenna.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Most OEM units have GPS receiver mounted inside dash, in centre, under plastic. Toyota Blade, Prius, Lexus etc.