Question Joying Optical Questions

Search This thread

Emg24538

Sep 23, 2021
Using Optical from my Joying Android 10 unit.

Was curious about the "Power Conditioning" setting under Device - Sound - Amp

Is this basically a 'gain' setting and could this induce clipping through the Optical output?

It does increase overall volume when turning it up, so at what point does it clip, If at all?

jgaskell

Mar 23, 2018
Using Optical from my Joying Android 10 unit.

Was curious about the "Power Conditioning" setting under Device - Sound - Amp

Is this basically a 'gain' setting and could this induce clipping through the Optical output?

It does increase overall volume when turning it up, so at what point does it clip, If at all?
On mine, the default is 50 out of a possible 60

On increasing it to 60, the sound quality was still good, but the resolution on the audio wasn't good. Volume level 1 was too loud for background and volume 0 was obviously still nothing.
Admiteddly, I'm running through a DSP and several amplifiers, so your effect might be lessened, but keeping the conditioning at 50/60 worked best for me

surfer63

May 4, 2010
Zwolle
github.com
There are a few real manufacturers of head units: FYT, Microntek, Topways, etc.
They deliver to resellers. For FYT those resellers are for example Medeke M300/M500/M600/K500/K600, NaviFly, Idoing, Joying, T'eyes, some Zhan units, Kingbeats, and probably a few others.
NaviFly and Medeke also sell cheaper units from other manufacturers.

Reactions: Emg24538

Emg24538

Sep 23, 2021
On mine, the default is 50 out of a possible 60

On increasing it to 60, the sound quality was still good, but the resolution on the audio wasn't good. Volume level 1 was too loud for background and volume 0 was obviously still nothing.
Admiteddly, I'm running through a DSP and several amplifiers, so your effect might be lessened, but keeping the conditioning at 50/60 worked best for me
Thanks for the reply!

I found a reviewer on youtube:

He did distortion tests, and said the Joying starts to clip on Optical and analog about volume level 32, and he did his testing with the "power conditioner" at 60. (I posted question about this in his comments.)

Im with you, right now I dropped it down to 50, may even go 40. I too am using a DSP to amps, and my gains are way down and its still pretty loud at low volume levels. Sounds great though.

Not sure what you mean by "volume 1 was too loud for background"?

jgaskell

Mar 23, 2018
Sorry, I meant even at volume 1, the sound was too loud even for background music, it would still drown out a conversation in the car.

madmatt2024

Jul 25, 2013
Thanks for the reply!

I found a reviewer on youtube:

He did distortion tests, and said the Joying starts to clip on Optical and analog about volume level 32, and he did his testing with the "power conditioner" at 60. (I posted question about this in his comments.)

Im with you, right now I dropped it down to 50, may even go 40. I too am using a DSP to amps, and my gains are way down and its still pretty loud at low volume levels. Sounds great though.

Not sure what you mean by "volume 1 was too loud for background"?
I have the same unit and found no clipping at full volume on the RCAs at stock settings. This guy also tested one of the new Joying units and found the same thing, no cliping at max volume on the RCAs. He gets to the testing around 28:30

Emg24538

Sep 23, 2021
I have the same unit and found no clipping at full volume on the RCAs at stock settings. This guy also tested one of the new Joying units and found the same thing, no cliping at max volume on the RCAs. He gets to the testing around 28:30
Thanks, I remember watching this video! Although he doesn't mention specifically the optical output.

But this has me curious:

Being digital, I didnt think Optical itself could induce clipping unless the data itself already had clipping in it?

So, for the headunit to control volume over Optical, I wonder...is the headunit converting digital data to analog first (DAC) then processed through its internal amplifier, to then be converted back to digital (ADC) to output through Optical? Is this how its controlling volume I wonder?

I really wish I understood how it all worked.

bikeynomori

Jun 3, 2021
As far as I know, the optical output will only show clipping if the source material was recorded such that it was clipped.
The digital signal comes from the source, goes through the Android audio layer (up or down sampled, as necessary to 48Khz) and then is transformed to the correct SPDIF format (coax or optical).
In the second video (New Release Alert...) - they are just measuring the RCA outputs (so after the internal DAC), the optical/coax output is not tested.
Digital volume control is handled differently - ideally you should leave the Joying volume maxed out and control the volume downstream (i.e., through your external DSP). The Joying volume control degrades the digital signal (to degree to which it is audible is a different question) and the only way around that is to keep the Joying at full volume.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    requested to move to FYT forum
    There are a few real manufacturers of head units: FYT, Microntek, Topways, etc.
    They deliver to resellers. For FYT those resellers are for example Medeke M300/M500/M600/K500/K600, NaviFly, Idoing, Joying, T'eyes, some Zhan units, Kingbeats, and probably a few others.
    NaviFly and Medeke also sell cheaper units from other manufacturers.