just another soapbox advocation

Search This thread

erad1

Dec 3, 2010
MiamiBeach
I have to admit it just amazes me how some people complain about the build quality after they purchase this phone. I personally (sure, it's ownership biased) think this GSII is awesome and well built. The material used is basically the same but Samsung obviously built the phone to be lighter intentionally (no metal back, which had me spoiled also as I do like that on my Cappy) and more streamlined (back half of the phone is a lighter guage plastic and no longer a gun-metal grey color/finish, but the front/screen half appears to be the same as the Captivate)...it wouldn't be a GSII if they built it just like the first model now would it? And as for removing the cover, it is what it is...it's just simple not crappy, and a different style (just need to have one good fingernail). The phone is still a nice blend of power and finesse I have come to expect from the Samsung Galaxy line. I have enjoyed owning this phone albeit briefly, just as much as I have enjoyed owning my Captivate and have the oppurtunity to continue to use them both. All this being said I too am looking forward to the release of SGSIII and would hope to see a only a subtly different build style. Like the commercial says..."it doesn't feel like an upgrade if my phone looks the same!"

Last edited:

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
People always just say plastic = cheap, without understanding that properly chosen plastics can be vastly superior to metal. (See Delrin as an example. Also see the Boeing 787 Dreamliner)

I think the build quality of the I777 is excellent - the only problem people have build-quality-wise with the I9100 is the mechanical home button, which our device fixes - probably the only aspect of "AT&T Mangling" that I'm actually glad they did. The touchkeys are a much better solution.

dmnall

Jul 18, 2010
Goleta, CA
www.charliesconstrictors.com
Ours is 95% identical to the og gs2.

Its superior in every way to the captivate imo, and doesn't look much like the cappy at all

Galaxy S II

I agree 100% however, when comparing both the i897 Captivate to the i9000, the captivate was the most of the us variants that did not look like the i9000 and the only thing that was nice about the captivate was that it ran i9000 based roms with just a reoriented kernel and few teaks to the touchkey file to get them to run properly. As well as the whole overall design compared to the Vibrant and Verizon's sgs looked more like the i9000 then the Captivate. Where as the sgs2 still resembles the i9100 versus the SR, Sprint Epic 4G Touch and T-Mobile versions as these have a larger screen just for external purposes. Only area where the i777 sgs2 resembles the i897 captivate is the screen in terms of the touch sensitive buttons but other than that, the i777 is done right in my opinion.

People always just say plastic = cheap, without understanding that properly chosen plastics can be vastly superior to metal. (See Delrin as an example. Also see the Boeing 787 Dreamliner)

I think the build quality of the I777 is excellent - the only problem people have build-quality-wise with the I9100 is the mechanical home button, which our device fixes - probably the only aspect of "AT&T Mangling" that I'm actually glad they did. The touchkeys are a much better solution.

I agree with you 100% as well Entropy. +1 on the touchkeys as in my opinion less problems then having an actual physical button that can and eventually will wear out. At least with the touchkeys they either work or they do not as simple as that. Looking at my past phones before the I jumped over to android, which was BB, the common problem was the trackball which could be pushed as well would wear out and need to be replaced. I did not like that aspect for navigating and since the Captivate and now sgs2, I did not ever have to worry about having anything wear out besides the power button but even that never failed on my captivate and I am sure will probably hold up on my sgs2. As for the whole plastic = cheap, is just because the ones who say that, are used to the iphone 4/4s with it's metal and glass build which also makes the phone heavy. Plus the build quality on the sgs2 in my opinion blows the captivate out of the water. Yes the battery cover is thin/flimsy but I have not broken mine and with it snapped onto the phone actually feel solid, so that does not make it cheap because of being plastic, but makes it great that I have a super light phone. My sgs2 actually has less creaks than my captivate has, so I feel it is an improvement overall.

HTH,
Charlie