• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Just bought a used unlocked AT&T Fold 2, how difficult to flash TMobile Rom?

Search This thread

vinscuzzy

Mar 5, 2006
The phone is working fine, calls, texts, even 5g. But I'm not getting any updates. It's still on Android 10 and One UI 2.5. I went to Samsung Members and wasn't given the opportunity to update, or join the beta, and when I go to Updates, it say my phone is up to date. I also tried to update with smart sync, but it also said my phone was up to date. I did a little research last night in the thread on how to flash, but it seemed kind of confusing. My phone says it's a SM-F916U, but I'm not sure which rom to flash. I'd really just like to get rid of the At&T branded apps, and be able to get OTA updates. Is this possible? I used to flash roms all the time on my S6 and back in the PPC days, but that seemed pretty straight forward. Since this phone is used, I obviously cant return it if I mess something up.

Reactions: HoOnZ

zimgir124

The phone is working fine, calls, texts, even 5g. But I'm not getting any updates. It's still on Android 10 and One UI 2.5. I went to Samsung Members and wasn't given the opportunity to update, or join the beta, and when I go to Updates, it say my phone is up to date. I also tried to update with smart sync, but it also said my phone was up to date. I did a little research last night in the thread on how to flash, but it seemed kind of confusing. My phone says it's a SM-F916U, but I'm not sure which rom to flash. I'd really just like to get rid of the At&T branded apps, and be able to get OTA updates. Is this possible? I used to flash roms all the time on my S6 and back in the PPC days, but that seemed pretty straight forward. Since this phone is used, I obviously cant return it if I mess something up.
Download an app called Frija, along with the patched version of ODIN from here.

You can either flash unlocked firmware, or T-Mobiles firmware.

If you decide to flash unlocked:
In Frija choose manual, enter the device model as SM-F916U1
CSC : XAA

PDA : F916U1UEU1DUCI
CSC : F916U1OYM1DUCI
Phone : F916U1UEU1DUCI

Then click check update, then download.

If you want TMobile firmware:
In Frija choose either auto or manual. Enter the device model as SM-F916U and click Check Update, then download.

If you choose auto make sure the CSC says OYM in it somewhere, because if not it will download the Thom Brown edition frimwarr.

If you chose manual enter these:

CSC : TMB

Then click download.

Open ODIN and put in the files in the respective places (BL, AP, CP, CSC, USERDATA if you downloaded TMOBILE firmware), turn off your phone, hold the volume up and volume down button and plug your phone into the computer.

after that it will boot into a blue screen, then you click up volume up to continue.

In odin make sure something shows up under ID : COM and when it does click Start.

Don't mess with the phone when it starts because it could be bad if it unplugs or anything similar happens.

After several minutes ODIN will say PASS in the top left, and from there on you can unplug your phone.
It will reboot, and take 5-10 minutes to boot.

Should be all done after that though so let me know if you have any questions.

Reactions: tangmu and HoOnZ

vinscuzzy

Mar 5, 2006

In Frija choose either auto or manual. Enter the device model as SM-F916U and click Check Update, then download.

If you choose auto make sure the CSC says OYM in it somewhere, because if not it will download the Thom Brown edition frimwarr.

Then click download.

Open ODIN and put in the files in the respective places (BL, AP, CP, CSC, USERDATA if you downloaded TMOBILE firmware), turn off your phone, hold the volume up and volume down button and plug your phone into the computer.

after that it will boot into a blue screen, then you click up volume up to continue.

In odin make sure something shows up under ID : COM and when it does click Start.

Don't mess with the phone when it starts because it could be bad if it unplugs or anything similar happens.

After several minutes ODIN will say PASS in the top left, and from there on you can unplug your phone.

Oh man, thank you so much for such a detailed response! I actually went to a Samsung experience store and they updated me to a stock AT&T android 11 build. The phone is working great, but I obviously don't want to have to go there every time there's a new update. So in other words, I'm still very interested in instructions on how to do this, so thank you again for that.. You've been a tremendous help, but before I start, could you possibly answer 2 more questions?

1. Is there any advantage either way of going with t-mobile or unlocked?

2. Does Odin back anything up in case I mess up somehow, can I get back to where I am now? Back in the PPC and early android flashing days, I remember it was essential to back up with recovery and or twrp.

HoOnZ

Sep 13, 2005
Somerset

Then click download.

I've never seen a thorough response to a post in a long time. I haven't been to XDA in a while, so it's nice to see that it hasn't changed.

@zimgir124 Thank you for such an awesome post. Like op, I also have an unlocked AT&T branded Z Fold2, so after reading this post, I'm soooo tempted to flash the unlocked firmware. haha

Then click download.

I tried downloading the T-Mobile manual but I dont get the download button enabled when I enter all the info you mentioned above. When I try auto for TMB I dont get the OYM CSC. I tried flashing the unlocked firmware but now I am not getting 5g on tmobile SIM.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Then click download.