Question Just bought this - Question regarding unlocking & root

Search This thread

MarkMRL

Jul 1, 2011
I just bought this phone. It's actually quite nice and better than I expected. Paid 475€ for it brand new in a store here in Italy. I'm coming from the good old XZ1 Compact, aka the best phone ever made. This seems to be a big (too big, tfw no phone under 5.5) improvement over it.

That being said, I was wondering how does Asus react to their phones being unlocked. I come from Sony which does not like unlocking, in fact on the XZ1 and XZ2, unlocking was permanent and you lost drm keys and stock features fOrEveR. How is it on this one? Does it void the warranty forever? Do you lose stock features after unlocking? Can you relock the bootloader and go back to full stock eventually?

I googled and searched all over but I find conflicting and contraddicting informations about this, on top of the usual ****ty websites with ai generated copypaste guides.

Thanks in advance.

bnsmb

Aug 22, 2017
Frankfurt
I just bought this phone. It's actually quite nice and better than I expected. Paid 475€ for it brand new in a store here in Italy. I'm coming from the good old XZ1 Compact, aka the best phone ever made. This seems to be a big (too big, tfw no phone under 5.5) improvement over it.

That being said, I was wondering how does Asus react to their phones being unlocked. I come from Sony which does not like unlocking, in fact on the XZ1 and XZ2, unlocking was permanent and you lost drm keys and stock features fOrEveR. How is it on this one? Does it void the warranty forever? Do you lose stock features after unlocking? Can you relock the bootloader and go back to full stock eventually?

I googled and searched all over but I find conflicting and contraddicting informations about this, on top of the usual ****ty websites with ai generated copypaste guides.

Thanks in advance.
Hi

see the readme from the ASUS Unlock tool from here https://www.asus.com/de/Mobile/Phones/ZenFone/Zenfone-8/HelpDesk_Download/

Unlock Device App
NOTICE:
Before you download, install, and use the Unlock Device App (“Service”), you understand that you need to take all risks in terms of quality and performance of the Service, including but not limited to: once you trigger the Service, you’re not able to recover your ASUS products to the original status at the time of manufacturing (“Original Product”) anymore. Original Products which is used with the Service (“Changed Product”) will no longer be regarded as the Original Products. The software updates will not be available to the Changed Product, and the digital content in the Changed Product may no longer be used. In addition, the software and hardware problems of your ASUS product caused by using the Service may not apply to your ASUS Warranty Information, please read ASUS Warranty Information of your ASUS product carefully on ASUS official website.(https://bacchus.asus.com/support/Article/1060/)

>> Does it void the warranty forever?

I think so

>>Do you lose stock features after unlocking?

I did not find anything that did not work anymore after unlocking (but I tested only the functionality that is important for me ....)

>>Can you relock the bootloader and go back to full stock eventually?

I don't know if you can relock the phone but I doubt it.

You can reinstall the Original ASUS Firmware and it still works like before. You can also install the updates for the original OS manually (I did not test if OTA still works)

regards

Bernd

Adaoh

Jun 13, 2021
ASUS ZenFone 8

Thanks in advance.
To add to bnsmb's response,

When the phone is unlocked, some apps will not work, like google pay for example, but the bootloader can be relocked with one fastboot command and you will get all features back (except OTA updates from the settings, you will have to update manually)

(It is not recommended to relock the bootloader when not on the Stock Asus ROM)

To relock, simply type these two commands
  1. adb reboot bootloader
  2. fastboot oem asus-csc_lk
  3. reboot
  4. The phone will prompt you to do a factory reset when booting

bnsmb

Aug 22, 2017
Frankfurt
To add to bnsmb's response,

When the phone is unlocked, some apps will not work, like google pay for example, but the bootloader can be relocked with one fastboot command and you will get all features back (except OTA updates from the settings, you will have to update manually)

(It is not recommended to relock the bootloader when not on the Stock Asus ROM)

To relock, simply type these two commands
  1. adb reboot bootloader
  2. fastboot oem asus-csc_lk
  3. reboot
  4. The phone will prompt you to do a factory reset when booting
Hi

>>To relock, simply type these two commands

Good to know that but before I test it:

The phone can be unlocked again after the relock?

regards

Bernd

Adaoh

Jun 13, 2021
ASUS ZenFone 8
Hi

>>To relock, simply type these two commands

Good to know that but before I test it:

The phone can be unlocked again after the relock?

regards

Bernd
Yes, I have tried it once, but some people reported it does not work depending on the version, I tried on Android 12 and it worked the first time (and on android 11 but that was the first unlock a while ago)

MarkMRL

Jul 1, 2011
Thank you for the info! I can't find the official manual or faq though, even from the link bnsmb provided :\

That's why I asked here in the first place. From what I can tell after looking through this info, they will know you have unlocked from the imei, considering their unlock tool talks to the mothership before doing the deed. It is still unclear if they will respect the warranty period even after unlocking. I don't care about asking them for support on an unlocked phone, I just want to make sure it will get repaired or replaced for free (in terms of money and hassle) if I get a defect down the line that is unrelated to the unlock, such as a hardwre failure or assembly defect.
Anyway, it seems the only way to shed light on this mystery is to ask Asus themselves. I will report back as soon as they respond to my questions.

Reactions: skothiya

sirozan

Dec 8, 2014
i9100
Microsoft Lumia 950/950 XL
Warranty with unlocked bootloader

The warning text of the unlock app links you to the Warranty Policy for ASUS Phones, where the relevant part reads:
6. Exclusions from this limited Warranty Service
[...]
(m) Unusability or damage to hardware of the product caused by installing and using any kind of the Unlock Device App, which is a utility that will unlock your product’s boot loader but will render the warranty null and void.
So yes as is usual, they will try to use "you having unlocked your bootloader" as an excuse to not repair their broken phones under warranty.

But, depending on your local consumer protection laws, there is a good chance this is actually illegal. In the EU for example, during the 2 years of required warranty THEY have to prove YOU that the defect was ACTUALLY CAUSED by you messing with the phone's software - which generally speaking they can't because it wasn't.

If you haven't seen it i recommend this thread for some details of people who have actually been in that situation - from what i saw after a quick glance through, 3 out of 3 people there got their unlocked&rooted phones replaced under warranty in the end, even it it took some effort to convince the support...

.Michael.

Dec 27, 2020
Samsung Galaxy S7
If you haven't seen it i recommend this thread for some details of people who have actually been in that situation - from what i saw after a quick glance through, 3 out of 3 people there got their unlocked&rooted phones replaced under warranty in the end, even it it took some effort to convince the support...
The linked thread does tell that one person was successful with the ASUS support, "all other" unfortunately not, see e.g. post #6.

MarkMRL

Jul 1, 2011
Anyway, in the meantime, Asus replied to me saying that if you unlock you lose your entire warranty no matter what. I reiterated, asking if I will also lose my right to a free repair for issues totally unrelated to the unlock, and they said yes, you will lose every right to repair.
So that is the official stance!

Too bad, I'm still in the return period so I might just get rid of it and hunt for a Pixel 5. Kind of sad though, the phone performed pretty well for me so far. But I need muh root and eventually LineageOS...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thank you for the info! I can't find the official manual or faq though, even from the link bnsmb provided :\

That's why I asked here in the first place. From what I can tell after looking through this info, they will know you have unlocked from the imei, considering their unlock tool talks to the mothership before doing the deed. It is still unclear if they will respect the warranty period even after unlocking. I don't care about asking them for support on an unlocked phone, I just want to make sure it will get repaired or replaced for free (in terms of money and hassle) if I get a defect down the line that is unrelated to the unlock, such as a hardwre failure or assembly defect.
    Anyway, it seems the only way to shed light on this mystery is to ask Asus themselves. I will report back as soon as they respond to my questions.