Just got a new Nexus 5x

Search This thread

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
Orange County, California
Just ordered a new Nexus 5x a few days ago should be here soon. It'll probably still have Marshmallow on it. Should I only flash custom ROMs. Immediately to avoid bootloop issues u have been hearing about? I'm confused because it seems that the OTA or preview edition was causing this not custom ROMs.

Ezekial

Feb 6, 2011
To me, it depends what you want to do with your device.

For me, I downloaded the latest 6.X and flashed manually. Relocked the BL and enrolled in Android beta program. Then let the OTA 7.1.1 come down to upgrade the device so I continue to get updates, including upgrade to production release down the road.

Reactions: mikeprius

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
Just ordered a new Nexus 5x a few days ago should be here soon. It'll probably still have Marshmallow on it. Should I only flash custom ROMs. Immediately to avoid bootloop issues u have been hearing about? I'm confused because it seems that the OTA or preview edition was causing this not custom ROMs.
More signs point to hardware failure rather than the update. I think it was just coincidence that 7.0 came out when phones were getting close to 1 year old. I've been running my replacement from last month on 7.1 beta and it's just fine.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Reactions: mikeprius

mikeprius

Jan 13, 2014
Orange County, California

For me, I downloaded the latest 6.X and flashed manually. Relocked the BL and enrolled in Android beta program. Then let the OTA 7.1.1 come down to upgrade the device so I continue to get updates, including upgrade to production release down the road.

So you have just been flashing new images manually? For me I don't care about the newest version I sill am using Marshmallow on my Nexus 6. I prefer customization so I'm going to unlock, TWRP, custom ROM etc........ I just want to potentially avoid any of the bootloop issues I have been hearing about.

It sounds like there was never a definitive conclusion as to why it was happening only with Nougat

Ezekial

Feb 6, 2011
So you have just been flashing new images manually? For me I don't care about the newest version I sill am using Marshmallow on my Nexus 6. I prefer customization so I'm going to unlock, TWRP, custom ROM etc........ I just want to potentially avoid any of the bootloop issues I have been hearing about.

It sounds like there was never a definitive conclusion as to why it was happening only with Nougat
Gotcha. I have only had my 5x for just over a month so not the most knowledgeable. My take is largely the same as the other guy, failures are from hardware or just bloat from long term use.

I start with the latest 6 and considered staying on it for root, xPosed, etc. I have always ran this way for years. But it is super annoying not having Android pay and a few other things. I sucked it up and decided to try not rooting or even unlocking BL. There are things I miss but I am staying locked down for now. The primary issue I have is for tethering, which I cannot do. The rest I have surprisingly been able to do without.

slysurfer

Jul 10, 2012
Tuncurry
Flash away

Hey mate, you will not have issues flashing what ever you like, issues are caused by hardware failures ( unavoidable ) or just not following instructions correctly. I flash factory images, beta etc, and custom ROMs. Never have issues. Flash like crazy. It's just a phone and almost all of them can be fixed, if something goes wrong.
P.s. You gotta try the 7.1.1 beta. Its has potential.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

More signs point to hardware failure rather than the update. I think it was just coincidence that 7.0 came out when phones were getting close to 1 year old. I've been running my replacement from last month on 7.1 beta and it's just fine.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone