Just got a Pixel 3XL

rootbox15

Jan 1, 2021
I just received a Pixel 3XL as a free hand me down and need some assistance. I know it's a couple of years old but still seems to be a solid phone. I basically need to wipe this thing completely clean. The problem is that it's rooted with an unlocked bootloader with TWRP. While that might not be a huge issue it's also on a older Android version 9. I've been reading but I'm not exactly sure where to start in regards to what to do first. I know my share of rooting and flashing ROMs but my knowledge is back with the Nexus and older HTC phones. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 18, 2012
haguenau
I just received a Pixel 3XL as a free hand me down and need some assistance. I know it's a couple of years old but still seems to be a solid phone. I basically need to wipe this thing completely clean. The problem is that it's rooted with an unlocked bootloader with TWRP. While that might not be a huge issue it's also on a older Android version 9. I've been reading but I'm not exactly sure where to start in regards to what to do first. I know my share of rooting and flashing ROMs but my knowledge is back with the Nexus and older HTC phones. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Pretty much everything you need to know is here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/guide-root-pixel-3-xl-android-11-r.4160447/

You can go ahead and just flash whatever factory image you want from here, (mostly) just like a Nexus device:

Just use the flash-all script, don't flash one partition at a time...

It will remove root and wipe your phone clean. Root on Pixels doesn't work how it used to back in the Nexux days, as TWRP is not fully supported on 10 or 11 yet.

Just be sure the previous owner Google account has been properly removed before you proceed, otherwise you won't be able to log in with yours: FRP (Factory Reset Protection).

Post in the thread i linked you or here if you need further assistance.

Cheers...

Sébastien.

rootbox15

Jan 1, 2021
Hi,

Pretty much everything you need to know is here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/guide-root-pixel-3-xl-android-11-r.4160447/

You can go ahead and just flash whatever factory image you want from here, (mostly) just like a Nexus device:

Just use the flash-all script, don't flash one partition at a time...

It will remove root and wipe your phone clean. Root on Pixels doesn't work how it used to back in the Nexux days, as TWRP is not fully supported on 10 or 11 yet.

Just be sure the previous owner Google account has been properly removed before you proceed, otherwise you won't be able to log in with yours: FRP (Factory Reset Protection).

Post in the thread i linked you or here if you need further assistance.

Cheers...

Sébastien.
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. His account is completely gone and mine is the current one. I basically want to update it but I do want to keep root for a few things. I was mainly concerned since it's on an old version of 9 and I know there were some bootloader changes which is what really had me concerned.

Mar 18, 2012
haguenau
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. His account is completely gone and mine is the current one. I basically want to update it but I do want to keep root for a few things. I was mainly concerned since it's on an old version of 9 and I know there were some bootloader changes which is what really had me concerned.

Hi,

You said you have read, but don't know where to start... If you state your goal, it would be easier to help you! 👍

Keep root with stock firmware? What Android version?

Cheers,

Sébastien.

rootbox15

Jan 1, 2021
Hi,

You said you have read, but don't know where to start... If you state your goal, it would be easier to help you! 👍

Keep root with stock firmware? What Android version?

Cheers,

Sébastien.

Good point. I'd like to get updated to the most stable android version and keep root with the ability to flash custom kernels. I've been using this for a bit on 9 and it's definitely showing it's need to be updated. The option to flash ROMs would be nice but definitely not necessary. I'm not opposed to doing a complete wipe but if I could keep my data that would obviously be optimal even though I highly doubt that will be possible. Thanks again for the reply.

TonikJDK

Dec 9, 2012
Good point. I'd like to get updated to the most stable android version and keep root with the ability to flash custom kernels. I've been using this for a bit on 9 and it's definitely showing it's need to be updated. The option to flash ROMs would be nice but definitely not necessary. I'm not opposed to doing a complete wipe but if I could keep my data that would obviously be optimal even though I highly doubt that will be possible. Thanks again for the reply.
You should be able to update and save data.

Flash the factory image as mentioned above, however before you run the flash-all bat file edit it with notepad. Near the end of the file remove the -w and save it. Then run the flash all. That will update you and save data.

Then you reroot following one of the rooting guides. Copy boot.img from the factory image to your phone,. Install Magisk Manager and patch the boot.img. Copy that back to your computer and flash it.

rootbox15

Jan 1, 2021
You should be able to update and save data.

Flash the factory image as mentioned above, however before you run the flash-all bat file edit it with notepad. Near the end of the file remove the -w and save it. Then run the flash all. That will update you and save data.

Then you reroot following one of the rooting guides. Copy boot.img from the factory image to your phone,. Install Magisk Manager and patch the boot.img. Copy that back to your computer and flash it.
Thanks for the reply. I read about doing that but just wasn't sure if that would all work properly since the bootloader was unlocked and TWRP was installed. I'm guessing the factory image flash will get rid of TWRP. It also doesn't matter going to say 11 straight from 9? Sorry for all the dumb questions but this is way different than it used to be when I started back with the original Galaxy S, HTC DesireHD, and Nexus 4.

TonikJDK

Dec 9, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I read about doing that but just wasn't sure if that would all work properly since the bootloader was unlocked and TWRP was installed. I'm guessing the factory image flash will get rid of TWRP. It also doesn't matter going to say 11 straight from 9? Sorry for all the dumb questions but this is way different than it used to be when I started back with the original Galaxy S, HTC DesireHD, and Nexus 4.
Correct, this flash will remove twrp. You are done with twrp it is not working on pixels 10 and up.

9 to 11 should be fine, there is always a risk upgrading a full version. That risk is not any greater because you are jumping two versions.