General Just How Awesome Is This Thing? (First Impressions)

Search This thread

spotmark

Feb 18, 2010
Massachusetts
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
I've been modding phones since the OG Razr days, and even though I don't do a whole lot anymore, I still consider phones a hobby. I was going to wait for the Fold5 or the Google Fold, but after doing a buttload of research (my normal M.O.), I decided that the Fold4 was ready for prime time. Throw in the fantastic trade-in deals and it was hard to say, no. As I told my wife, I haven't been this excited about a phone in a long time. I have to say, I'm impressed. Haven't had it quite twenty-four hours yet, but it's blowing me away. Obviously, the Samsung screens look beautiful. Sure, the outer screen is narrow, but not unusable. Especially if you swipe type. The inner screen? Well, that's what it's all about, isn't it? It's gorgeous, I love all the real estate, and being able to fold it up and throw it in my pocket is icing on the cake. I plan on reading more, and using it for GPS/Waze in the car is freakin' awesome! I'm really loving it. My only complaint, so far, is the sideways scrolling in the app drawer. Come on, Samsung! Continuous perpendicular scrolling is much more convenient. Thoughts? How do you folks like yours? Tell us what you like and dislike.

Last edited:

[email protected]

Jan 15, 2009
Stockholm
Reactions: irmatt and spotmark

Robson

Jul 22, 2003
Melbourne
coming from a note 9, i don't think i'll be able to go back to a slab phone. i've been holding off buying anything and for the longest time my note 9 was my daily driver. if i wanted to upgrade it, it would be something different. i was almost tempted to get the fold 3 but opted to wait until the fold 4 came out. the outer screen being wider than the fold 3 (ok, just a little bit) and the cameras were the clinchers. my wife got me the fold 4 for father's day after she saw me reading/browsing and making numerous trips to jb hifi to inspect the phone on display. the spen is fantastic and the only thing i lost from the note 9's pen is the camera bt remote and the sound it makes when i take out the pen (my son asked me to change the remove and insert to sounds of a light saber). took me a day or so of fiddling around and setting it up to the way i want it to be. it's now the same layout as my note 9 which suits me. i'm still using nova launcher with a klwp preset for the inner screen. outer screen is using just a static, black wallpaper. goodlock has proven to be very useful as the alternative to one ui's taskbar and it's provided me with an easy power off and screenshot buttons. the only shortcoming i've seen so far is sometimes android auto fails to connect with the phone. i know that an update is on the way to fix this but at the moment and easy work around is to clear up the cache from google playstore. other than that, the inner screen real estate is fantastic for browsing, reading books, vids, and all.

Gzoom82

Feb 12, 2021
Running x2 versions of Cyberpunk on one device whilst also being able to download and extract saved games files from Stadia (try doing that on a system without an oen file management setup;)).

This thing isn't a phone, its a computer that fits my pocket!!

52394352169_0528e8387e_k_d.jpg

52394623738_6e8c452da1_c_d.jpg

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
I'm gettuing annoyed with both the skinny front screen and the crease. I have an Oppo Find N and the crease is almost non-existent, as well as a Vivo X Fold. The outer display on the X Fold is the perfect size, I find the Find N a bit small now (think 2009 size) and the crease is also a hell of a lot better. Both these phones were purchased long before the Z Fold4 and neither crease is getting worse over time.
My perfect foldable would be the X Fold hardware (adding in S pen too) with the Z Fold firmware. And add in a micro SD card slot as well.
Until these phones hit the global market however, Samsung won't do anything about this.

Reactions: Tim-2.0

[email protected]

Jan 15, 2009
Stockholm
I'm gettuing annoyed with both the skinny front screen and the crease. I have an Oppo Find N and the crease is almost non-existent, as well as a Vivo X Fold. The outer display on the X Fold is the perfect size, I find the Find N a bit small now (think 2009 size) and the crease is also a hell of a lot better. Both these phones were purchased long before the Z Fold4 and neither crease is getting worse over time.
My perfect foldable would be the X Fold hardware (adding in S pen too) with the Z Fold firmware. And add in a micro SD card slot as well.
Until these phones hit the global market however, Samsung won't do anything about this.
the crease is there to get waterprotection which none of the chinese phones have, I rather have that than not, do you really think Samsung can't make a phone with non visible crease?

spotmark

Feb 18, 2010
Massachusetts
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
the crease is there to get waterprotection which none of the chinese phones have, I rather have that than not, do you really think Samsung can't make a phone with non visible crease?

I'm with you. Give me the water resistance. The crease is a non-issue for me. I really only notice it every once in a while.

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
Is prefer the lesser crease. I don't tend to swim with my phone & both the Oppo Find N and Vivo X Fold both work fine as long as I don't dunk them in water. The lesser crease helps if writing on the screen with a pen which I do a lot...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've been modding phones since the OG Razr days, and even though I don't do a whole lot anymore, I still consider phones a hobby. I was going to wait for the Fold5 or the Google Fold, but after doing a buttload of research (my normal M.O.), I decided that the Fold4 was ready for prime time. Throw in the fantastic trade-in deals and it was hard to say, no. As I told my wife, I haven't been this excited about a phone in a long time. I have to say, I'm impressed. Haven't had it quite twenty-four hours yet, but it's blowing me away. Obviously, the Samsung screens look beautiful. Sure, the outer screen is narrow, but not unusable. Especially if you swipe type. The inner screen? Well, that's what it's all about, isn't it? It's gorgeous, I love all the real estate, and being able to fold it up and throw it in my pocket is icing on the cake. I plan on reading more, and using it for GPS/Waze in the car is freakin' awesome! I'm really loving it. My only complaint, so far, is the sideways scrolling in the app drawer. Come on, Samsung! Continuous perpendicular scrolling is much more convenient. Thoughts? How do you folks like yours? Tell us what you like and dislike.
    Dude, download GoodLock and you will love it even more.
    Cool! I stopped rooting with my Pixel 6 Pro. I could ad block without root and with dark mode baked in I was somewhat satisfied, but I did miss Substratum. This is like Substratum without root. Love it! Thanks.
    you do have HEX installer for Samsung, but atm it does not work on Fold4.

Me: Verizon will give me all but $99 back for my Pixel 6 Pro toward a Fold4. I'm going to order one.

Wife: You're getting a new phone? You haven't had that one a year yet.

Guess who's Fold4 is being delivered today. She had her 6 Pro for a shorter time than I had mine.