Just ran a manual format of /data/ in twrp terminal cmd when do i know its done? PLZ

Search This thread

KronicSkillz

Jan 30, 2013
LG G8
i ran this command.

mke2fs -T ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p44

right now the screen says Writing superblocks and filesystem account information : 0/201(a bunch of rectangles here) (a bunch more rectangles)done

does the done at the end mean it's done? the reason i'm confused is the developer that recommended this command to format an encrypted drive said it would take hours... but it stopped there and appears to be doing nothing now? is it done or should i wait longer?

the reason i'm confused is formats are usually fast because they just rewrite the partition table i thought? or is this a full format where it writes 0's to the entire drive?

plz answer if anyone knows how to tell when this format is done. i can post entire log of format if needed.

Last edited:

KronicSkillz

Jan 30, 2013
LG G8
i ran this command.

mke2fs -T ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p44

right now the screen says Writing superblocks and filesystem account information : 0/201(a bunch of rectangles here) (a bunch more rectangles)done

does the done at the end mean it's done? the reason i'm confused is the developer that recommended this command to format an encrypted drive said it would take hours... but it stopped there and appears to be doing nothing now? is it done or should i wait longer?

the reason i'm confused is formats are usually fast because they just rewrite the partition table i thought? or is this a full format where it writes 0's to the entire drive?

plz answer if anyone knows how to tell when this format is done. i can post entire log of format if needed.

nevermind i got brave and ran the regular format on /data/ and its all good. by the way this is how you can format an encrypted drive in twrp (since you will get a mounting error from usual wipe method). MAKE SURE you use the proper partition address though, the one that i have here is for LG G3 d852 only.

download a parition information app to check the address of your data partition before you try this command.

this is similar to doing a hard reset on a stock device, when you reboot it will look similar to a fresh install with some acceptions. note: every device is different i cannot guarantee anything