Just rooted my remix mini

Search This thread

blender3d

Sep 15, 2013
just rooted my Remix mini as well

Just to clarify, the chinese guy you found didn't install busybox as there was a binary already present in Remix's system folder.
I tried to do it with the most recent UPDATE-SuperSU.....zip without any success. Instead, what i did was having a look into the update-binary shell file (META-INF/com/google/android/update-binary). Starting from line 59 there is a nice introduction on how to install all the needed files yourself. So in the end it is just alot of cp,chmod,chown and chcon typing. Keep in mind the Remix has an 64bit architecture.
Unfortunately i didn't record the whole process but this should give you an hindisght on how to do it yourself.

Files to be installed from zip:
common/Superuser.apk
common/install-recovery.sh
arm64/su (do different locations and with different contexts [chcon], don't mess this up)
arm64/supolicy
arm64/libsupol.so

target locations come from the update-binary file.

The next step is the real dangerous one! Don't do anything like this if you don't know what you are doing!

mv /system/bin/app_process64 /system/bin/app_process64_original
ln -s /system/xbin[or whereever you installed the su binaries]/daemonsu /system/bin/app_process64

After that you may run
/system/xbin/su --install (which in my case seemed to do absolutely nothing)

Really check that you have applied all the chcon['s] as in the update-binary file. Or else you may run into serious trouble (if /system/xbin/daemonsu doesn't have the context your system should not start anymore).

You can check the chcon['s] with ln -Z. If your file is not in the list, it doesn't have the context.
For a shorter list (e.g. /system/bin) you can also type like " ls -laZ app_* "

kanyazsombor

Feb 16, 2011
OnePlus 6
OnePlus 6T
Just to clarify, the chinese guy you found didn't install busybox as there was a binary already present in Remix's system folder.
I tried to do it with the most recent UPDATE-SuperSU.....zip without any success. Instead, what i did was having a look into the update-binary shell file (META-INF/com/google/android/update-binary). Starting from line 59 there is a nice introduction on how to install all the needed files yourself. So in the end it is just alot of cp,chmod,chown and chcon typing. Keep in mind the Remix has an 64bit architecture.
Unfortunately i didn't record the whole process but this should give you an hindisght on how to do it yourself.

Files to be installed from zip:
common/Superuser.apk
common/install-recovery.sh
arm64/su (do different locations and with different contexts [chcon], don't mess this up)
arm64/supolicy
arm64/libsupol.so

target locations come from the update-binary file.

The next step is the real dangerous one! Don't do anything like this if you don't know what you are doing!

mv /system/bin/app_process64 /system/bin/app_process64_original
ln -s /system/xbin[or whereever you installed the su binaries]/daemonsu /system/bin/app_process64

After that you may run
/system/xbin/su --install (which in my case seemed to do absolutely nothing)

Really check that you have applied all the chcon['s] as in the update-binary file. Or else you may run into serious trouble (if /system/xbin/daemonsu doesn't have the context your system should not start anymore).

You can check the chcon['s] with ln -Z. If your file is not in the list, it doesn't have the context.
For a shorter list (e.g. /system/bin) you can also type like " ls -laZ app_* "
What remix os version did you root?
Theoretically could be good any regular usb cable if I cut the unnecessary end?
Thanks

Last edited:

walscobry

Jun 16, 2006
ROOT or BUST

For those who would like to root Remix Mini:

Jide will not offer root access and do not encourage our users to root their devices as it voids the warranty of Remix Mini.

If you do not have ROOT it is not your device it still belongs to the company that made it. If a company does not provide ROOT or a method for it then they ARE doing something they don't want to you know about. It's that simple. ROOT or you are a victim.

That is why I played with one my MINIs for 2 days. No ROOT so back in the box. Did not even bother to open the 2nd. I discouraged everyone from purchasing. Learn something from this. Voiding the warranty is fine.

gohanSS

Dec 7, 2010
Root voids warranty 99% of the times anyway

Inviato dal mio ASUS_Z00A utilizzando Tapatalk

enginmanap

Nov 13, 2009
Istanbul
I have successfully rooted my device using the information here, thanks to everyone. This is the first time I used UART, and I think there are somethings worth mentioning here for newcomers

1) for UART to work, you need to power the remix mini.
2) My device constantly printed cpu state information, This makes typing a little harder, but the input is not mangled, don't worry (if you did not make typing mistake, than cancel using ctrl+c
3) The root install script says it did not found some files. but it also says "done". I don't have any idea why, but it did not cause any issues on my case.

Also, I am guessing after the rooting process, we should avoid OTAs? Or will it just remove the root, but function properly?

Reactions: kanyazsombor

zhlvf

May 15, 2012
Rooted OS image?

Hi rooting-masters,

does anybody have a rooted image I can flash on my remix mini? I don´t know how to use an uart-cable. Could I flash an OS image in recovery mode?
I searched in youtube "How to root Remix mini?" but there is still no instruction video...

Thanks in advance! :)

oncouch1

Oct 6, 2010
Hi rooting-masters,

does anybody have a rooted image I can flash on my remix mini? I don´t know how to use an uart-cable. Could I flash an OS image in recovery mode?
I searched in youtube "How to root Remix mini?" but there is still no instruction video...

Thanks in advance! :)

I think you have to root before you can install a .IMG file.
It is not that hard to do via UART just different. Read all the in this thread and between them and the link to the Chinese page you can do it. Remember warranty, support and updates will stop once rooted.

sashusmom

May 10, 2008
North Jersey
To all of you that have rooted- what are the advantages to it on the remix mini. There are no other roms to load- You lose your updates- Is it worth it just to have titanium back up? What other stuff can you do with a rooted remix mini? Thanks :0)

dinjin

Oct 13, 2012
Hey, I'm new to UART but I've tried following all the posts/blog but I'm getting stuck. I am connecting my remix to my computer successfully, but coolterm gets filled with
Code:
[  227.150188] CPU Budget:update CPU 0 cpufreq max to 1104000 min to 480000
[  227.162220] CPU Budget hotplug: cluster0 min:0 max:4
[  227.670508] CPU Budget hotplug: cluster0 min:0 max:4
[  229.670197] CPU Budget:update CPU 0 cpufreq max to 1104000 min to 480000
[  229.689778] CPU Budget hotplug: cluster0 min:0 max:4
[  231.690396] CPU Budget hotplug: cluster0 min:0 max:4
[  231.771600] CPU3: shutdown
[  231.774621] psci: CPU3 killed.
[  231.971643] CPU2: shutdown
[  231.974659] psci: CPU2 killed.
[  231.981103] CPU2: Booted secondary processor
[  231.981103] CPU2: update cpu_power 1968128
[  231.781075] CPU3: Booted secondary processor
[  231.781075] CPU3: update cpu_power 1968128
[  234.971520] CPU3: shutdown
[  234.974493] psci: CPU3 killed.
[  234.980988] CPU3: Booted secondary processor
[  234.980988] CPU3: update cpu_power 1968128
and it just repeats onward, cpu1-3. I haven't tried waiting it out since my connection is sort of touchy and I'm inpatient. But the remix boots to the desktop just fine otherwise, so I don't know what's going on. :confused: Am I supposed to enter commands even with that text flowing? It doesn't get to the "[email protected]#". Can anyone help?

kanyazsombor

Feb 16, 2011
OnePlus 6
OnePlus 6T
Hey, I'm new to UART but I've tried following all the posts/blog but I'm getting stuck. I am connecting my remix to my computer successfully, but coolterm gets filled with
Code:
[  227.150188] CPU Budget:update CPU 0 cpufreq max to 1104000 min to 480000
[  227.162220] CPU Budget hotplug: cluster0 min:0 max:4
[  227.670508] CPU Budget hotplug: cluster0 min:0 max:4
[  229.670197] CPU Budget:update CPU 0 cpufreq max to 1104000 min to 480000
[  229.689778] CPU Budget hotplug: cluster0 min:0 max:4
[  231.690396] CPU Budget hotplug: cluster0 min:0 max:4
[  231.771600] CPU3: shutdown
[  231.774621] psci: CPU3 killed.
[  231.971643] CPU2: shutdown
[  231.974659] psci: CPU2 killed.
[  231.981103] CPU2: Booted secondary processor
[  231.981103] CPU2: update cpu_power 1968128
[  231.781075] CPU3: Booted secondary processor
[  231.781075] CPU3: update cpu_power 1968128
[  234.971520] CPU3: shutdown
[  234.974493] psci: CPU3 killed.
[  234.980988] CPU3: Booted secondary processor
[  234.980988] CPU3: update cpu_power 1968128
and it just repeats onward, cpu1-3. I haven't tried waiting it out since my connection is sort of touchy and I'm inpatient. But the remix boots to the desktop just fine otherwise, so I don't know what's going on. :confused: Am I supposed to enter commands even with that text flowing? It doesn't get to the "[email protected]#". Can anyone help?
It's ok. Don't worry. You can write there.
But also can try in coolterm: options/2nd tab/line mode instead of raw. That way you will have a line at the bottom for the commands.

From the Chinese site use the following command :

/dev/tty.usbserial 115200

After this you will have the "root..."
Than use all the commands (on the Chinese site. The command is after the # sign in each line)

DirtyLightningBacon

Rone5390

Jun 18, 2016
Cameron Having problem with my mini it will shut down and reboot repeatably sometimes. I can hit enter and stop it as it fades. It usually straightens out eventually. how do I fix this.

romtim

Apr 28, 2011
Fortaleza
Last edited:

RetroHetero

Mar 30, 2013
Vancouver

Jide will not offer root access and do not encourage our users to root their devices as it voids the warranty of Remix Mini.

We realize that it voids the warranty, however, as owners and buyers of YOUR device, we have THE RIGHT to do whatever the hell we want with it. If I can risk rooting and flashing a custom ROM on a $600+ smartphone, then I sure as hell am going to risk doing the same on a device that only costs around $50. I don't understand why Jide keeps insisting on denying it's customers with root access. While the majority will not care about having root access, there are people who like tinkering with stuff. To be honest, I bought this device thinking that it would have root access and that is a big part of why I bought this device in the first place.

You are a disappointment, Jide.

Last edited:

dinh_duy

May 2, 2014
I am closing the case successfully!! :) Both my Remix Minis are rooted and operational !! :D My thanks go to johnmurrayvi for his help and to pcGoose for first how-to root. :good:

No, it wasn't necessary to do something with busybox. System partition needed just to be set to RW. That was all. I could restore /system and Remix Mini was able to start his GUI again.
Code:
mount -o rw,remount /system
dd of=/dev/block/by-name/system if=/data/local/tmp/system_image

Could you please upload your system_image file then send me link? Thank you so much for help!

joeylikesubuntu

Jul 3, 2013
warranty

i do not care if it voids the warranty this thing was cheap why should we give a damn about the warranty we bought it we own it we should be able to fix it or change it whenever we wish don't go down this jail route please your giving android a bad name good luck trying to convince the intelligent to buy one

Last edited:

WacoJohn

Jan 25, 2012
What I don't get is if Jide doesn't allow rooting, why then, in APP STORE/SETTINGS, is there an option ALLOW ROOT INSTALLATION check box?? .... and what would happen if I checked it??

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I tried to install SuperSU v265, but it wouldn't install. :( Then I tried to install SuperSU v246 and it did something, but now Remix isn't booting any more! :crying: I can still communicate with Remix Mini via CoolTerm, but my thumb drive isn't available any more. (I guess you call it not mounted??)

Can you post a link to a working UPDATE-SuperSU-xxx.zip ? (I mean one that would work here on Remix Mini)

This is the same SuperSU v2.46, what broke my Remix Mini in the first place...

experiencing the same thing as you. Thought I missed something but haven't had time to play around with it.

I don't think it's dependent on the os version.
    I ran into similar issues originally as well, but I managed to work around them with some modifications. When I have some time (hopefully either tonight or tomorrow) I'll try to pull the files off and double check exactly what I had done to make it work.

I believe I used a system mode version (not the newer hybrid systemless/system format) of 2.65. I had to do a little tweaking in the update-binary script. One change I recall I needed to make was commenting out a section that checked for "/sbin/unzip" and bailed out if it didn't find it, saying something along the lines of "BAD RECOVERY DETECTED". Since the update-binary is being manually run from the shell while the device is not in recovery (AFAICT in the [stock] recovery, accessing a shell over UART doesn't work but I didn't spend much time on it.), the fact the script bails out is erroneous.
    Pretty sure I also had the BIN and COM variables pointing to /data/local/tmp instead of /tmp.
    Also, after it installed and rebooted, I seem to remember having to move the SuperSU.apk from /system/app/SuperSU/SuperSU.apk to /system/app/SuperSU.apk and using "chmod 644" on it.

@Guerol, I also had issues with the USB randomly not mounting. It actually didn't even see my drive as being attached if I used the upper port. So, make sure you plug it into the bottom port on the Mini.
    Since the USB gets recognized as a block device, and the internal storage isn't, the USB will *likely* be at /dev/sda. I'll need to double check the device naming because I can't say for sure this will work verbatim, you should be able to use
    Code:
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbhost/Storage01
    to manually mount the drive.

I'll get a more clear/detailed list of instructions, and pull the files back off my Mini, once I get a chance to.

here is a link to a chinese site the guy said he installed busybox first
    FWIW, I did not install busybox beforehand. There's already a system version in /system/bin/busybox-smp that can be used for the process.
    Once I had SuperSU installed, I just downloaded BusyBox on the Play Store and used that (reasoning: the pro version was already in my account and it lets you configure symlinks/applets, which I prefer to do instead of a whole-sale install possibly overwriting links in the system image by default).

One suggestion I have for anyone doing this though, once you have access to the root shell over UART, make a backup of at least the system partition. You can use "dd" to save an image to the internal storage card and then pull it off with a USB or something. It wouldn't hurt to back up other partitions either.
    adaway, task managing, xposed, apps/games from unknown sources with copying data to local storage, using usb drives as storage for apps...etc
    It is the cable I am using
    "Eruner PL2303HX USB To TTL To UART RS232 COM Cable Module Converter" : Amazon ($6.99)

White -> TX
    Green -> RX
    Black -> GND

1. Download UPDATE-SuperSU.zip
    2. Unzip the UPDATE-SuperSU.zip
    3. Copy superSU and META-INF/com/google/android/update-binary(from #2) onto USB drive

on putty
    mount -o rw,remount /
    mount -o rw,remount /system
    cd /system/bin
    ln -s busybox-smp unzip
    cd /data/local/tmp
    cp /mnt/usbhost/Storage01/UPDATE-SuperSU-xxx.zip /data/local/tmp
    cp /mnt/usbhost/Storage01/update-binary /data/local/tmp
    sh update-binary 0 1 /data/local/tmp/UPDATE-SuperSU-xxx.zip
    reboot

i was 1 of the original backers of this kickstarter project and was looking forward with excitement to receiving my mini told some of my friends and relatives who were also enthusiastic, so i received my mini played with it and patiently waited for a method to become available to root it people asked me about my mini but in all honesty could not recommend it because of the lack of root access.
    i believe most of the people who backed the project are like myself enthusiasts and have at least 1 or more rooted devices have become dismayed by JIDE`S intransigence by refusing to offer any form of root access they are now playing catchup as remix os gets ported to other devices with better specs . i know were ill be looking for my next version of remix os and it sadly wont be with JIDE.