How To Guide Just tweak it [Tab A7] - debloat, battery...

Search This thread

doggydog2

Tab A7 stock rootless setup​

model used: Tab A7 Lite SM-T220

Just a quick article for this nicely sized 8.7" tablet. It's a baby tablet, not wasting time with rooting ;) We want:
* debloating
* better battery
* better privacy
* call recording
* disk encryption
* tweaks

Rooting​

No rooting. No logins, not even Google login, that's the plan. FDroid, Aurora, Vanced manager to deploy all you need. No contacts, no SMS, no location, nothing to protect.

Modules​

Magisk​

-

XPosed​

-

Apps​

* AdGuard -> supreme adblocker and firewall. Set VPN approach (rootless friendly, assuming device will stay at home), turn on HTTPS and turn off internet for all apps. Then enable few (browser, youtube, aurora) specifically.
* YouTube Vanced -> YouTube without ads and sponsor blocks.. install in non root mode, and remove the existing originals
* (optional) MiXplorer -> best file manager, replaces spyware ES File explorer you had before
* F-Droid -> open source apps
* Aurora -> all apps

Debloating

What the script does:
* choose 8 categories of app removal, in the beginning of the file
for each say 0=skip 1=remove 2=revert back
* use more switch to disable some questionable/helpful stuff
* disable up to 70 apps with possibility to revert back

I usually cook these files carefully, here i just removed non existing packages, added existing vendor packages. Vendor garbage gets uninstalled straight away, majority of packages is disabled in non-root mode (per user) so it can be reenabled later. You can edit the file.
  • unzip the file to some folder
  • adb shell as it's plugged to PC and authorized (and usb debugging in developer otions on)
  • go to the folder with script
  • cp TabA7_cleanup.sh /data/local/tmp
  • chmod +x /data/local/tmp/TabA7_cleanup.sh
  • /data/local/tmp/TabA7_cleanup.sh;

Tested ok on August Android 11 EU firmware. It produced no errors (=packages relevant), but there could be regional differences.

Download: (file attached)

Battery​

Battery saving:
  • turn off location
  • turn off permissions and app usage for usual snitches
  • in Adguard turn off WIFI/mobile for each app (will be the default), then reenable few - advantage: no ads in games, no stupid accidental payments. Also set WIFI/mobile off when screen off -> tablet won't do anything, just keep idle for days hopefully
  • don't even enable GMS, this device can be a good throwawy tablet with no login to ANY service, without encryption, just pure gamepad.... likely no password/PIN to unlock. It's with slow CPU but games work nicely. It's not even slower than S4 flagship tablet honestly.

Attachments

• TabA7_cleanup.sh.zip
    3.7 KB · Views: 670
Last edited:

Herb291

Nov 12, 2021
hi, thanks for the guide, very insightful with me transitioning from iOS.

My only question is the script, I’ve downloaded ABD and can shell into my device. However I’m having issues when copying the script, it keeps coming up saying invalid path, I’ve looked everywhere for a tutorial but with me having limited knowledge I’m at a dead end

any help greatly appreciated

doggydog2

My only question is the script, I’ve downloaded ABD and can shell into my device. However I’m having issues when copying the script, it keeps coming up saying invalid path, I’ve looked everywhere for a tutorial but with me having limited knowledge I’m at a dead end

i just flashed the new firmware and did it again, no problem. First i copied the script from Windows to somewhere on Android (/storage/emulated/0 or similar "noexec" quasi-sd card location), and then moved it to a location from where it can be executed. The location should work and is generally recommended. You can find another one /data/local, /tmp or whatever is there. Or use adb push <PC_file> <target_directory>. Or post the screenshot. This should be a trivial issue and can't stop you.

raxahasan0077

Jan 1, 2017
Lahore
Screenshot 2021-11-13 130925.png
getting this error

tom.android

Jul 12, 2016
Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite
Working with LADB ( no computer needed)
https://www.xda-developers.com/debloat-your-phone-run-adb-shell-commands-no-root-no-pc/

Download: https://disk.yandex.com/d/H02YifGGtrErbw

////////////Run an .sh file to install ///////////
cd /sdcard
cp cleanup.sh /data/local/tmp
cd /data/local/tmp
ls -l
chmod +x /data/local/tmp/cleanup.sh
ls -l
./cleanup.sh

/////////
Download: https://disk.yandex.com/d/NcQMhFp73OpwXw
( and run .sh script with LADB)

Tips howto install LADB:
important! Always use "Open in split screen view” for pairing devices. (only first connection, next time don't need)

View attachment 5457089

Last edited:

TheDroidKid

Jan 8, 2013
How dose this work without rooting? When I try to run the script from ADB i get Can't execute: permission denied?

TheDroidKid

Jan 8, 2013

Just a quick article for this nicely sized 8.7" tablet. It's a baby tablet, not wasting time with rooting ;) We want:
* debloating
* better battery
* better privacy
* call recording
* disk encryption
* tweaks

Rooting​

No rooting. No logins, not even Google login, that's the plan. FDroid, Aurora, Vanced manager to deploy all you need. No contacts, no SMS, no location, nothing to protect.

Modules​

Magisk​

-

XPosed​

-

Apps​

* AdGuard -> supreme adblocker and firewall. Set VPN approach (rootless friendly, assuming device will stay at home), turn on HTTPS and turn off internet for all apps. Then enable few (browser, youtube, aurora) specifically.
* YouTube Vanced -> YouTube without ads and sponsor blocks.. install in non root mode, and remove the existing originals
* (optional) MiXplorer -> best file manager, replaces spyware ES File explorer you had before
* Aurora -> all apps

Debloating

What the script does:

I usually cook these files carefully, here i just removed non existing packages, added existing vendor packages. Vendor garbage gets uninstalled straight away, majority of packages is disabled in non-root mode (per user) so it can be reenabled later. You can edit the file.
  • adb shell as it's plugged to PC and authorized

Tested ok on August Android 11 EU firmware. It produced no errors (=packages relevant), but there could be regional differences.

Battery​

Battery saving:
  • turn off location
  • in Adguard turn off WIFI/mobile for each app (will be the default), then reenable few - advantage: no ads in games, no stupid accidental payments. Also set WIFI/mobile off when screen off -> tablet won't do anything, just keep idle for days hopefully
  • don't even enable GMS, this device can be a good throwawy tablet with no login to ANY service, without encryption, just pure gamepad.... likely no password/PIN to unlock. It's with slow CPU but games work nicely. It's not even slower than S4 flagship tablet honestly.
How do I get the script file to.run from ADB? I get permission denied

KumaVL

Dec 28, 2015
I keep trying to do the cp step but it keeps saying no such file or directory.

I checked my tablet with MiX and there's no local folder on data... What am I doing wrong here?

Elzbach

Mar 20, 2014
Is better privacy only possible with rooting? I want to disable the radio entirely and remove all of the Google apps.

Elzbach

Mar 20, 2014
i disabled google, and using Aurora without root. With no logins, no PIM data, no location tracking, there's almost no data to steal. But if I was using it as a mobile phone, with logins, contacts etc, i'd have to root.
I'm not using it as a phone and there is still no data to steal, but I still want to get rid of those things. I want to completely remove the tracking apps regardless of how little there is to track because they are bloat. I want to completely disable the radio, the microphone, gps, and blu tooth. I don't even want wireless internet connections to remain.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

* debloating
    * better battery
    * better privacy
    * call recording
    * disk encryption
    * tweaks

Rooting​

Modules​

Magisk​

-

XPosed​

-

Apps​

* Aurora -> all apps

Debloating

What the script does:

• adb shell as it's plugged to PC and authorized (and usb debugging in developer otions on)

Battery​

Battery saving:
    • turn off location

i just flashed the new firmware and did it again, no problem. First i copied the script from Windows to somewhere on Android (/storage/emulated/0 or similar "noexec" quasi-sd card location), and then moved it to a location from where it can be executed. The location should work and is generally recommended. You can find another one /data/local, /tmp or whatever is there. Or use adb push <PC_file> <target_directory>. Or post the screenshot. This should be a trivial issue and can't stop you.
    Reply: @nikoum
    Just removed (switch off) my unused app, sorry not help for good performance but no trouble.

Note: LADB
    Just wanted to say thanks @doggydog2

Your script didn't get rid of everything I needed/wanted to be removed but it inspired me to write my own. My a7lite tablet is now my daily driver phone+tablet. I am making cellular phone calls, sms/mms and all my banking apps still work.

I also removed as much google stuff as I could without losing the functionality I need from a mobile cellular device.

Unrooted and as lite/light weight as this tablet can get before installing 3rd party apps. Thanks again.