Just tweak it [Tab S4] - debloat, root, plugins, battery...

Search This thread

spacedrone808

Sep 24, 2013
trackerninja.codeberg.page
Works pretty good for me on 10 except xPosed

Do you have custom config file for importing to debloater?

I would like to create preset for riping google/samsung stuff off.
Plus some upgrade to privacy. No voice assistance, biometrics, iris, face ids.

MODEL: T835

JUNK SERVICES: 34

SAFE TO REMOVE
OLIVE > remove only right after deletion of:
62 google play services
63 google play store
64 google services framework

1 SYSTEM APPS [recommended to delete during second batch]:

11 bixby vision
18 samsung calendar
40 google calendar sync
41 google contacts sync
42 googlelocation history
43 google text-2-speech engine

70 samsung apex service
74 samsung text-2-speech service
97 voice assistant

2 SYSTEM PRIV-APPS [recommended to delete at first]:

12 biometric service
51 face
52 face service
57 galaxy store
59 google
60 google one time init
61 google partner setup

62 google play services
63 google play store
64 google services framework

73 iris
74 knoxvpnproxyhandler
79 market feedback agent

90 ok google enrollment
104 samsung account
105 samsung cloud

106 samsung device health manager service
110 samsung experience sync
111 samsung location sdk
112 samsung multi connectivity
113 samsung push service

116 samsung voice input

126 smartfaceservice
147 whats new
149 x google enrollment

PLEASE HELP ME TO FIND BLOAT SERVICES.
MAKE YOUR SUGGESTIONS.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2017
I'm triying to root, but my tab keeps on the samsung screen, doesn't boot. I flashed magisk, and then the disable dm-verity zip.

spacedrone808

Sep 24, 2013
trackerninja.codeberg.page
Reactions: InsertCoin_Pls

ToxicFighter1

Feb 25, 2016
Lößnitz
Nice Work!

will this work on Tab S4 with Android 10 ?

Thx in advance! =)

Tab S4 stock cleanup actions

phablet guide fest continues V30->Note9->6T->Mi9->S10->7T->Tab S6->Tab S4, time to provide some thoughts, easy to click links and guides. Goal is to have a clean device after each update, and have a helper script running at boot or on demand. This is a tablet, we want to achieve flat battery graphs when it is unused (picture attached), hopefully charge once a week with slight usage.

Debloat

What the script does:
* choose 8 categories of app removal, in the beginning of the file
for each say 0=skip 1=remove 2=revert back
* use more switch to disable some questionable/helpful stuff
* disable up to 80 apps with possibility to revert back
* remove usage access for google (do manually)
* remove device admin backdoor "Find My Mobile", you won't recover stolen device this way lol, it doesn't work with Secure Startup! it's useful for Govt.
* remove proca (which was slowing down tablet after rooting), if it doesn't work from your shell, edit the file as below

Tested ok on March stock Pie firmware. Samsung has too much bloatware installed, and requires shocking permissions to run some basic services. We will further need to reclaim privacy. As for debloat list, i've cooked the list based on knowledge of each process, its current presence in the Pie firmware, and what would fit the tablet usage. In this case, i'm leaving Samsung account, Galaxy shop and few pen apps and we assume XPrivacy is sending these snitch services bogus personal details.

Download: (file attached)

Installation:
- run in su terminal once or add to any startup script (3C\Device mgr\Scheduler can assign scripts from /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/ccc71.at/scripts), or to magisk

Rooting

We want encryption. There are no ROMs, and TWRP can be used for many other tasks without access to your files.

1. OEM unlock in dev settings
  2. when turned off and rather plugged it to your PC with drivers installed, hold Power & Vol+ & Vol- til you see download screen, confirm with Vol+
  3. in ODIN, slap TWRP into AP while "Auto reboot" is unchecked
  4. hold Power & Vol- to exit download mode, then Power & Vol+ to enter recovery
  5. in TWRP, slap kernel and Magisk into tablet from SD card or USB (can be usb flash, can be other mobile, can be adb)
  6. in TWRP, say boot to system and wait 5min
  7. check Magisk app status, enable USB debugging in dev settings

kernel: WETA recovery: TWRP 3.3.1 for PIE SM-T83x

watch kernel log for 20sec
Code:
dmesg -Tw|grep proca
if proca messages appear open /vendor/etc/init/pa_daemon_qsee.rc and comment the lines

You should enable "Secure startup" in "Biometrics and security" settings. Recovery should fail reading encrypted drive sda27 because of its crypto flags and logical mapping.

Which plugins to use

Similarly to Mi9, collecting what i think is useful to keep on stock rooted firmware.

Magisk plugins:

* Riru - Core, Riru - Ed Exposed -- brings XPosed to Pie. Need also installer. Make a choice SandHook/Yahfa bipolar release, i never found out which one is better.
* libsecure_storage companion -- helps us keep the bluetooth pairings
* (optional) YouTube Vanced black themed -- brings usable YouTube experience. Unfortunately it's now a horror to install (v15), but v14 from Magisk still works.
* (optional) Move certificates -- perhaps
* (impossible) QuickSwitch -- there's no pill but Samsung custom recents... oh how glad i am for it now! Android10 cancelled this fantastic Pie pill already and you can scroll apps in OneUI!

XPosed plugins:

* Xposed Edge Pro -- a must have and best plugin
* XPrivacy -- Screw the big brother. Must have of the century. Disabling analytics, tracking, telephony, network, identification for all visible apps and all Google and Samsung apps with some exceptions.
* Firefds kit -- so this is our main customization app irrelevant here: ..and enables the very important call recording, which is beutifully integrated into call history. Bye bye external apps. Also for Samsungs it forces Restart "recovery"
* (optional) Xposed Dex -- some tweaks
* (optional) afWall -- Problems with this firewall and some VPN clients for years. Using AdGuard now and happy. It can even control DNS, no need one of those paid lausy apps. This plugin should by disabled in Xposed.
* (optional) Exi for Swiftkey -- you can make Swiftkey great again, GBoard is still the best, Samsung keyboard is very good, but too tall and leaves gap in fullscreen mode

Root apps:

* TitaniumBackup -- a must since Android was born
* Adaway -- a must but with AdGuard not so.. but i use both
* AdGuard -- can filter more and can amend requests.. that's a game changer. You can have a efficient proxy when rooted.
* 3C toolbox -- too helpful not to pay for the biggest package
* (optional) Root Essentials -- a multitool, have a look
* (optional) MiXplorer -- best file manager, replaces spyware ES File explorer you had before. Edits root files comfortably even when other editors don't
* (optional) FolderSync -- best sync tool

Battery

Battery saving:
- tablet should not be neccessarily always connected, receive notifications, so why not keep it dead when the screen is off
- the key is to disable background network activity:
  • disable it overall by Medium Power Saving mode
  • disable background network for individual apps (there's "Allow background data usage" and also nice "Allow background activity" checkbox)
  • force it with 3C (Device Mgr\Profiler) or Adguard (App Management)
- can't see wifi switch.. to turn wifi off when screen off. no wifi scanning drainer or other "intelligent" bs functions there either. just "Hotspot 2" - turn off.
- nearby scanning should be off, what a useless function of finding unknown devices - once you pair the known, what's the sense? or you keep connection 10 new bt devices each week? just a drain and endless beacon
- location can be off, and again it can be scripted by turning on only when screen is on by 3C
- not installing {LSpeed, Naptime, Servicely, FDE, LKT, Universal GMS Doze, Sysconfig patcher} here
- no signifficant doze functions here {AOD, fp icon, dt2wake, raise2wake} to speak off
- we want battery to remain flat when screen off, last tablet i had could do -1% per week! let's do it here

Other
- i like tender boot screen indicating knox off status, no need to flash boot logos
- no boot keys needed like on Tab s6
- not using multidisabler as i'm on stock and i do want encryption on every device ever
- how to launch camera quickly?? still dind't find out :)
- don't be afraid to use another device (mobile) as USB drive.. this way you can restore your apps directly via TitaniumBackup without copying it first! also Smart Switch can be used from non-Samsung phones, but it is as weak as Google backup ever was - no data restore

sahilg009

Mar 23, 2011
Stuck at set warranty bit kernel
Bootlop even before boot logo
only nstalled kernel and magisk

veekay

May 15, 2008
Any idea of what might be a dependency for the Camera app? Debloated my tab and everything is great, except camera crashes soon after opening.

Found out it is the sticker center, but can't figure out how to get the package "installed" again without wiping

Last edited:

doggydog2

Any idea of what might be a dependency for the Camera app? Debloated my tab and everything is great, except camera crashes soon after opening.

Found out it is the sticker center, but can't figure out how to get the package "installed" again without wiping

debloated too much, without knowing those packages, in unsafe way, without backup - what could go wrong. i prefer disabling method and i have backups in titaniumbackup or 3C toolbox.
but anyway i can get the package from firmware.
- unzip firmware file (7z x T830*.zip AP_TM830*)
- unzip AP file (7z x AP_T830*.tar.md5 system.img.ext4.lz4)
- unzip system.img.ext4.lz4 file (lz4 -d /tmp/system.img.ext4.lz4)
- convert "Android sparse image" system.img.ext4 to "raw image" system.img (simg2img /tmp/system.img.ext4 /tmp/system.img)
- mount it (mount -t ext4 -o loop /tmp/system.img /mnt/firmware)
- cd /mnt/firmware/priv-app/StickerCenter
- profit

veekay

May 15, 2008
I started off disabling all, testing everything before removing - just so happens I've never actually opened the camera app in the almost year I have owned the tablet.

I have a backup of the file in Titanium and have extracted the file from my TWRP backup, still never full works even once being placed back in the correct section and having the permissions fixed.

Orion9k0

Oct 30, 2015
After following this guide from stock android 10, is encrpytion left on? I'd like to have a debloated android and root but still have encryption

doggydog2

After following this guide from stock android 10, is encrpytion left on? I'd like to have a debloated android and root but still have encryption
yes, this series of guides is encryption or nothing. In the TWRP-less and ROM-less world we live in, but we maintain encryption. I'm using lot of Oneplus nowadays, so it's even easier, i wish they produced a tablet:)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tab S4 stock cleanup actions

phablet guide fest continues V30->Note9->6T->Mi9->S10->7T->Tab S6->Tab S4, time to provide some thoughts, easy to click links and guides. Goal is to have a clean device after each update, and have a helper script running at boot or on demand. This is a tablet, we want to achieve flat battery graphs when it is unused (picture attached), hopefully charge once a week with slight usage.

Debloat

What the script does:
    * choose 8 categories of app removal, in the beginning of the file
    for each say 0=skip 1=remove 2=revert back
    * use more switch to disable some questionable/helpful stuff
    * disable up to 80 apps with possibility to revert back
    * remove usage access for google (do manually)
    * remove device admin backdoor "Find My Mobile", you won't recover stolen device this way lol, it doesn't work with Secure Startup! it's useful for Govt.
    * remove proca (which was slowing down tablet after rooting), if it doesn't work from your shell, edit the file as below

Tested ok on March stock Pie firmware. Samsung has too much bloatware installed, and requires shocking permissions to run some basic services. We will further need to reclaim privacy. As for debloat list, i've cooked the list based on knowledge of each process, its current presence in the Pie firmware, and what would fit the tablet usage. In this case, i'm leaving Samsung account, Galaxy shop and few pen apps and we assume XPrivacy is sending these snitch services bogus personal details.

Download: (file attached)

Installation:
    - run in su terminal once or add to any startup script (3C\Device mgr\Scheduler can assign scripts from /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/ccc71.at/scripts), or to magisk

Rooting

We want encryption. There are no ROMs, and TWRP can be used for many other tasks without access to your files.

1. OEM unlock in dev settings
    2. when turned off and rather plugged it to your PC with drivers installed, hold Power & Vol+ & Vol- til you see download screen, confirm with Vol+
    3. in ODIN, slap TWRP into AP while "Auto reboot" is unchecked
    4. hold Power & Vol- to exit download mode, then Power & Vol+ to enter recovery
    5. in TWRP, slap kernel and Magisk into tablet from SD card or USB (can be usb flash, can be other mobile, can be adb)
    6. in TWRP, say boot to system and wait 5min
    7. check Magisk app status, enable USB debugging in dev settings

kernel: WETA recovery: TWRP 3.3.1 for PIE SM-T83x

watch kernel log for 20sec
    Code:
    dmesg -Tw|grep proca
    if proca messages appear open /vendor/etc/init/pa_daemon_qsee.rc and comment the lines

You should enable "Secure startup" in "Biometrics and security" settings. Recovery should fail reading encrypted drive sda27 because of its crypto flags and logical mapping.

Which plugins to use

Similarly to Mi9, collecting what i think is useful to keep on stock rooted firmware.

Magisk plugins:

* Riru - Core, Riru - Ed Exposed -- brings XPosed to Pie. Need also installer. Make a choice SandHook/Yahfa bipolar release, i never found out which one is better.
    * libsecure_storage companion -- helps us keep the bluetooth pairings
    * (optional) YouTube Vanced black themed -- brings usable YouTube experience. Unfortunately it's now a horror to install (v15), but v14 from Magisk still works.
    * (optional) Move certificates -- perhaps
    * (impossible) QuickSwitch -- there's no pill but Samsung custom recents... oh how glad i am for it now! Android10 cancelled this fantastic Pie pill already and you can scroll apps in OneUI!

XPosed plugins:

* Xposed Edge Pro -- a must have and best plugin
    * XPrivacy -- Screw the big brother. Must have of the century. Disabling analytics, tracking, telephony, network, identification for all visible apps and all Google and Samsung apps with some exceptions.
    * Firefds kit -- so this is our main customization app irrelevant here: ..and enables the very important call recording, which is beutifully integrated into call history. Bye bye external apps. Also for Samsungs it forces Restart "recovery"
    * (optional) Xposed Dex -- some tweaks
    * (optional) afWall -- Problems with this firewall and some VPN clients for years. Using AdGuard now and happy. It can even control DNS, no need one of those paid lausy apps. This plugin should by disabled in Xposed.
    * (optional) Exi for Swiftkey -- you can make Swiftkey great again, GBoard is still the best, Samsung keyboard is very good, but too tall and leaves gap in fullscreen mode

Root apps:

* TitaniumBackup -- a must since Android was born
    * Adaway -- a must but with AdGuard not so.. but i use both
    * AdGuard -- can filter more and can amend requests.. that's a game changer. You can have a efficient proxy when rooted.
    * 3C toolbox -- too helpful not to pay for the biggest package
    * (optional) Root Essentials -- a multitool, have a look
    * (optional) MiXplorer -- best file manager, replaces spyware ES File explorer you had before. Edits root files comfortably even when other editors don't
    * (optional) FolderSync -- best sync tool

Battery

Battery saving:
    - tablet should not be neccessarily always connected, receive notifications, so why not keep it dead when the screen is off
    - the key is to disable background network activity:
    • disable it overall by Medium Power Saving mode
    • disable background network for individual apps (there's "Allow background data usage" and also nice "Allow background activity" checkbox)
    • force it with 3C (Device Mgr\Profiler) or Adguard (App Management)
    - can't see wifi switch.. to turn wifi off when screen off. no wifi scanning drainer or other "intelligent" bs functions there either. just "Hotspot 2" - turn off.
    - nearby scanning should be off, what a useless function of finding unknown devices - once you pair the known, what's the sense? or you keep connection 10 new bt devices each week? just a drain and endless beacon
    - location can be off, and again it can be scripted by turning on only when screen is on by 3C
    - not installing {LSpeed, Naptime, Servicely, FDE, LKT, Universal GMS Doze, Sysconfig patcher} here
    - no signifficant doze functions here {AOD, fp icon, dt2wake, raise2wake} to speak off
    - we want battery to remain flat when screen off, last tablet i had could do -1% per week! let's do it here

Other
    - i like tender boot screen indicating knox off status, no need to flash boot logos
    - no boot keys needed like on Tab s6
    - not using multidisabler as i'm on stock and i do want encryption on every device ever
    - how to launch camera quickly?? still dind't find out :)
    - don't be afraid to use another device (mobile) as USB drive.. this way you can restore your apps directly via TitaniumBackup without copying it first! also Smart Switch can be used from non-Samsung phones, but it is as weak as Google backup ever was - no data restore
    copy the file to storage. open su terminal. Get any root terminal app (ConnectBot, 3C Toolbox, or adb shell) and run as root. I run this script as autostart on each of my devices.

wifi_standby_test: first battery standby test: 37 hours to 91%, i've 'charging protection' so approx 93% that give us 0.19%/hr drain with wifi and bluetooth on. 10x less then a mobile (S10). Good start, nice 3 weeks of standby potential, but let's try medium power saving mode to squeeze it to over month of standby.
    Thank you for the script! It made a great difference on my tab s4, I was able to enable back Chrome and Google.

My device was lagging before... Thanks again for the write up...
    My Tab S4 arrived today. Should I allow any updates from Samsung be installed before I run through the rooting process described here, or should I do the rooting before getting the Samsung updates?
    yes..why rooting an old version.. no OTAs later so you'd have to update manually again.
    I was wondering about this. So there is no way to update once rooted, other than a full clean flash and start again?
    later use Frija to get new firmware and update. cleaning is only on first root as we can't avoid it when switching the OEM lock.