K1 - 6.0.1 Rollout Day? AH has just posted....

Search This thread

techboydino

Aug 31, 2009
Southeast, Pa
Android 6.0.1 Update Rolling Out To NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet K1

Anyone see anything yet? Sounds like a few good fixes plus the official Vulcan API..

1.2 K1 Update from Nvidia site
Supports the new Vulkan™ API for high-efficiency access to SHIELD’s graphics hardware
Adds Android 6.0.1 changes
Repositioned Navigation Buttons in Landscape mode & Updated Emojis
Double Tap Power Button to launch SHIELD Camera app
Do Not Disturb Until Next Alarm
Support for Android Doze mode & additional power optimizations
Adds USB MIDI support
Adds memory compression enhancement
Improved Wi-Fi connectivity when waking from sleep
Fixed Compass functionality
Fixed Gamepad Mapper issues
Fixed issues with moving apps to SD card
Fixed Doom 3 HDMI output issue
Repositioned Lasso Capture icons in landscape mode
Update to Android 6.0 Security Patch Level March 1, 2016
Overall stability and security enhancements

Last edited:

Ralek85

Feb 23, 2016
I unrooted and restored stock recovery to get the installation process going (same procedure as always), but unfortunately, I always end up getting the "Error!" message after a while, thus having to manually turn off the system. I didn't have any issue like this with Update 1.1, and I can't really think of any substantial change to my system since then.
Anyone got any tips?

ycode

Feb 14, 2009
I unrooted and restored stock recovery to get the installation process going (same procedure as always), but unfortunately, I always end up getting the "Error!" message after a while, thus having to manually turn off the system. I didn't have any issue like this with Update 1.1, and I can't really think of any substantial change to my system since then.
Anyone got any tips?

I got the same message.
I could press the Power button and the volume-up button once to get into recovery and it shows me:
Verifying current system...
"EMMC:/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/LNX:6699412:2dedcfe2f04<very large hex>" has unexpected contents.
E:Error in @/cache/recovery/block.map
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

After this I also fastboot flashed the boot.img matching the recovery.img and got a different message:
system partition has unexpected contents

This leads me to believe the boot.img, recovery.img and system.img (and maybe the blob) should come from the same release, in my case I downloaded the 1.1.1 release from Nvidia. I don't have time to keep testing this, but will do tomorrow.

UPDATE: I flashed the system.img of the 1.1 update and then the update to 1.2 is successful.

Last edited:

Lakristrolle

Sep 14, 2011
Hi!

Repositioned Navigation Buttons in Landscape mode

Can someone please post a screen shot of what that looks like? There are several complaints about it over at the nvidia forum but no one has described exactly what's bad with the new button position.

If they made it the same as phones where the bar is placed along the right (short) edge in landscape I'm gonna avoid this update like the plague, as a Lefty I hate that.

/lakris

DR_HAX34

Sep 29, 2014
Agualva
They're more useful when you're holding the tablet with two hands.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160414-081716.png
    Screenshot_20160414-081716.png
    122.9 KB · Views: 722

aaronne

Dec 26, 2015
Any guide on Installing this for TWRP users? I would really appreciate that :)

+1 for a K1 already rooted on android 6.0

Hi!

I was on vulkan 6.0.1 (dev preview) and kali kernel etc, with TWRP 3.0.0 and Supersu installed, I've only downloaded it from Settings Update( v1.2 I'm on K1 w/o pen) and after that reflashed TWRP's recovery from fastboot and then SuperSu in TWRP's menu (also xposed installer must be reflashed or custom kernel and all other stuff that doesn't survive to OTA)

Kasimodo

Dec 27, 2008
Android City
thank you Zarish.
But how to install it?
FYI, my tablet K1 is updated to 1.1 (Android 6.0) and rooted but I haven't installed TWRP Recovery. I have only boot on TWRP image (with command "fastboot boot twrp.img") and then flashed SuperSu.
Do I have to boot on TWRP with the same command (fastboot boot twrp.img) and then install the "OTA 1.2.zip" you shared?
Sorry for this noob question but I would like t be sure before starting something...
Best regards

zarish

Feb 17, 2006
thank you Zarish.
But how to install it?
FYI, my tablet K1 is updated to 1.1 (Android 6.0) and rooted but I haven't installed TWRP Recovery. I have only boot on TWRP image (with command "fastboot boot twrp.img") and then flashed SuperSu.
Do I have to boot on TWRP with the same command (fastboot boot twrp.img) and then install the "OTA 1.2.zip" you shared?
Sorry for this noob question but I would like t be sure before starting something...
Best regards
Yes, you could boot TWRP that way and then install the .zip (install SU again also).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    They're more useful when you're holding the tablet with two hands.
    Any guide on Installing this for TWRP users? I would really appreciate that :)
    Best way to update your K1 to 1.2 without loosing anything

For those who have deleted their TegraOTA.apk file, you could get it there
    Just copy it into folder "/system/priv-app/TegraOTA/" (if folder TegraOTA doesn't exist anymore, just create it).
    Then reboot your Tablet K1...

Prerequisites:

1. K1 is rooted.

2. K1 has TWRP custom recovery installed.
    If you used "fastboot boot twrp-20151227-EXPERIMENTAL-shieldtablet-m.img" to root your tablet, before starting, you have to flash it with command "fastboot flash recovery twrp-20151227-EXPERIMENTAL-shieldtablet-m.img"

3. File manager (e.g. Total Commander).
    FYI, i've tried with ES Exlorer with root access, and I was unabled to find the update file! So just download "Total Commander" on Google Play Store.

4. supersubeta.zip on your K1.

Update procedure:
    1. Go to “System upgrade” menu screen (Settings->About tablet->System upgrade)

2. Enable full update image download. In the “System upgrade” menu window press dots on the far upper right corner and select “Advanced”. In the new meniu screen check the option “Check full upgrade”. Go back to previous screen.

3. Let the “System upgrade” window download the latest ROM image (1.2 was about 668 MB). When the file is downloaded, DOT NOT PRESS REBOOT/INSTALL.

4. OTA downloaded update files are stored deep in the system. You need to know where the downloaded OTA update file has landed. Open your file manager and navigate to “/data/data/com.nvidia.ota/app_download”. There you will find the downloaded OTA update zip file. Check for the size (it should around 668 MB in case of 1.2 update).

5. Move this file to a more manageable location, e.g. your downloads folder “/storage/emulated/0/download”.

6. Reboot K1 into TWRP recovery.
    You have 2 choices. I prefere choice "b".
    a. Press the power button on your K1, select “Reboot”. As soon as the screen goes dark, press Volume Down button on your K1. When the K1 has booted into black screen with small letters, navigate with Volume Down button to the meniu item “Recovery” and select it by pressing Power button on K1.
    OR
    b. if you are afraid to miss the recovery reboot, just install Quick Reboot from PhongIT

7. K1 reboots to the TWRP recovery.

8. Select “Install”. Navigate to the OTA downloaded zip file, which you copied/moved to the directory “/storage/emulated/0/download”.

9. Select that file. The tablet will seem to freeze, but it’s not. But if you will not touch the screen, the K1 will lock the screen. So, while the K1 is thinking, keep touching the screen in various places until you see a new menu with a slider to install the zip file.

10. When you see a menu with slider, slide it to the right to install the new ROM.

11. After the install is complete, select “Wipe cache/Dalvik cache” on the left.

12. After that, do not reboot the tablet yet. Navigate back to the install screen.

13. Select your “supersubeta.zip” file and install SuperSu binaries.

14. After that, reboot the tablet.

15. You could see that message from Nvidia asking for installing OTA 1.2 is always there. So, with your file explorer with root access, just rename "/system/priv-app/TegraOTA/TegraOTA.apk" to "/system/priv-app/TegraOTA/TegraOTA.apk.old"

16. If all went well, first boot should show it’s optimising Apps. It means, you successfully update your tablet. After the boot, check if SuperSu is present. If not, repeat the procedure into going to Recovery mode and installing the supersu.zip file again.

17. If you used xposed framework, it is no more enabled since update. So go back to TWRP recovery and flash "xposed-v81-sdk23-arm.zip"

18. Reboot to system.

Enjoy!

This tutorial was written by 0x6170 on Nvidia Shield Zone. I've just tested it successfully and report it there with some additions for Noobs like me ;)
    I'm simply stating that you're over complicating things.

What I've posted should apply to the original as well as K1.

There's no need to reinstall TegraOTA or depend on it for the update - the link to the Full OTA has already been kindly posted by zarish earlier...

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using XDA Free mobile app
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone