K8 Android 4.2, 3G - applewatch design

Search This thread

PichaLatigo

Jul 6, 2010
I ordered this new K8 smartwatch in Aliexpress 2 weeks ago but my smartwatch seems to be lost in the way.
I will give sellers link once I receive the smartwatch because don't know if it's a reliable seller.
I read good info about this watch in G+

Reactions: simple1i

simple1i

Aug 3, 2009
london
I ordered this new K8 smartwatch in Aliexpress 2 weeks ago but my smartwatch seems to be lost in the way.
I will give sellers link once I receive the smartwatch because don't know if it's a reliable seller.
I read good info about this watch in G+
I am really interested in the 450mAh battery life. Hopefully you'll get it soon [emoji41]

Where did you read the good review?

Last edited:

simple1i

Aug 3, 2009
london
review?

Not exactly a review. An owner in G+ talking about it and now another Spanish owner in htcmania.
According to the tracking mine is already in Spain but not received yet.

When The watch arrives, don't be afraid to shout loud and post, ITS HERE!! :D

Will you do a review? I'd like know two things, the battery life and what sensors it has please. :good:

As a guess, the battery life will be similar to the GZPAX S8

Last edited:

probstc

Aug 13, 2012
I would be very curious to find out the following:

- does it have the Google Play store and/ or can you side load applications?
- what is the battery life like?
- where do you install the SD card?

I thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

PichaLatigo

Jul 6, 2010
I would be very curious to find out the following:
- does it have the Google Play store and/ or can you side load applications?
- what is the battery life like?
- where do you install the SD card?
I thank you in advance for any information you can provide.
My smartwatch is retained in Central post office in Madrid for one week so sadly I guess it's catched by customs.
Other k8 spanish owner says it has play store and of course you can load any .apk.
Spanish owner said had some problems with notifications and data when screen is off, and he solved it with some software.
American owner didn't have any problem with notifications when screen is switched off. He said smartwatch has been updated 5 times since the the smartwatch was released one month ago.
Only problem American has it's related to pulsometer heartband which is detected but he can not pair/connect it because it seems smartwatch Bluetooth it's not BLE and it is announced as it is.
It seems it doesn't have microsd slot:
20150426_181529.jpg

Hope it arrives soon

Last edited:

PichaLatigo

Jul 6, 2010
Received last week from seller Shenzhen GagaKing Technology Co.,Ltd reliable seller who solved my problems with lost smartwach.
http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6629385771.html?orderId=66935146402922
They messaged me saying apple opened a claim against Aliexpress because they are selling a copy of their Apple watch and Alliexpress ordered to close the announcement. They will continue selling for Chinese market and will continue selling contacting by email/ message but they are not allowed to announce it anymore.
0aac3c11dbb20f0122805fe97f87656co.jpg

17b9460f6131ee61ed037931107a77cdo.jpg

44976886aba2e729ef80009cc04e61d0o.jpg

Nice and cheap smartwatch.
Good aluminium finishing, light (59gr) and clear micro and speaker.
Didn't have any problem with my Movistar MicroSim. Some people wrote received the k8 with invalid IMEI and they had to generate a new IMEI with chamelephon. Not my case. I didn't have any problem and I receive 3G/H+ in Spain even having 2100 3G here.
Google play was not preinstalled but I downloaded Last play store 5.6.8 and no problem.
After that I downloaded some apps from play store and another apps just installing .apk like endomondo pro.
GPS and Bluetooth are working great. I did have many problems with umeox watches relating to Bluetooth. I like the watch because I want to use the smartwatch principally for training and k8's GPS and Bluetooth are working fine without interruptions. I didn't have any problem pairing with my Zephyr HxM BT heart rate chest band. The same for Jabra sport wireless headphones and chines cheap monocular. All working continuously.
320x320 is good for some things and bad for others. The characters are smaller than in 240x240 res and I can access to some setting I couldn't access in umeox smartwatches but sometimes letters are too small for my eyes.
I don't like the launcher because it's very simple and limited.
Don't like the fact of swiping from top to down for going back. It limits or makes impossible the using of other launchers like nova.
529430530e0e45a94c2b10f5bc3f3f20o.jpg

I didn't try other launchers. I didn't try rooting for extra settings. I didn't try because I have no idea... :silly:
About battery This morning, an Endomondo tracking of 50 minutes with 3G, GPS and Bluetooth chest heart monitor and headphones connected battery went down from 97% to 74% not switching on the screen too much because I received partials by Bluetooth headphones every kilometre.
Right now after 9 hours battery level is 29% not using too much the watch so I guess it can not stand the whole day without charging with a intense using.
Anyway very good smartwatch for its price.
Sorry for my English.

Last edited:

mitchiti

Apr 29, 2011
Thanks for the quick review PichaLatigo, very interested in this watch. Looks a lot like what I'm after.

After more time with it, can you give any more details about the battery life? Any problems you've found since your last post?

dev_null

Jan 30, 2014
(null)
Received last week from seller Shenzhen GagaKing Technology Co.,Ltd reliable seller who solved my problems with lost smartwach.
http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6629385771.html?orderId=66935146402922
They messaged me saying apple opened a claim against Aliexpress because they are selling a copy of their Apple watch and Alliexpress ordered to close the announcement. They will continue selling for Chinese market and will continue selling contacting by email/ message but they are not allowed to announce it anymore.
0aac3c11dbb20f0122805fe97f87656co.jpg

17b9460f6131ee61ed037931107a77cdo.jpg

44976886aba2e729ef80009cc04e61d0o.jpg

Nice and cheap smartwatch.
Good aluminium finishing, light (59gr) and clear micro and speaker.
Didn't have any problem with my Movistar MicroSim. Some people wrote received the k8 with invalid IMEI and they had to generate a new IMEI with chamelephon. Not my case. I didn't have any problem and I receive 3G/H+ in Spain even having 2100 3G here.
Google play was not preinstalled but I downloaded Last play store 5.6.8 and no problem.
After that I downloaded some apps from play store and another apps just installing .apk like endomondo pro.
GPS and Bluetooth are working great. I did have many problems with umeox watches relating to Bluetooth. I like the watch because I want to use the smartwatch principally for training and k8's GPS and Bluetooth are working fine without interruptions. I didn't have any problem pairing with my Zephyr HxM BT heart rate chest band. The same for Jabra sport wireless headphones and chines cheap monocular. All working continuously.
320x320 is good for some things and bad for others. The characters are smaller than in 240x240 res and I can access to some setting I couldn't access in umeox smartwatches but sometimes letters are too small for my eyes.
I don't like the launcher because it's very simple and limited.
Don't like the fact of swiping from top to down for going back. It limits or makes impossible the using of other launchers like nova.
529430530e0e45a94c2b10f5bc3f3f20o.jpg

I didn't try other launchers. I didn't try rooting for extra settings. I didn't try because I have no idea... :silly:
About battery This morning, an Endomondo tracking of 50 minutes with 3G, GPS and Bluetooth chest heart monitor and headphones connected battery went down from 97% to 74% not switching on the screen too much because I received partials by Bluetooth headphones every kilometre.
Right now after 9 hours battery level is 29% not using too much the watch so I guess it can not stand the whole day without charging with a intense using.
Anyway very good smartwatch for its price.
Sorry for my English.
I wonder if the zgpax or other battery fits in here

franzellin

Nov 21, 2012
k8

I received the same watch, but I have still a few questions:

1) did you find the way to install other Widgets on the right side of the clock?
2) is there another launcher that you were able to use? I tried goole now launcher and zeam launcher, but I cannot configurate the options and I had to go back to the standard one

thanks

franzellin

Nov 21, 2012
k8 how to solve a few problems

when I received the phone I was not able to root it and I was not able to call with the sim card, I discovered that there was no IMEI number

0) I had to activate developer mode touching 7 times the BUILT version in phone status
1) I used ROOT GENIUS on the pc, connecting with the usb cable to finally root it, I tried other programs but they didn't work, I also cancelled with it a few chinese apps that I didn't need
2) once it was rooted, I downloaded from the playstore the "MTK engineer mode", it was the only one that worked with me
3) i went to connectivity, cds, radio, phone 1, and finally I tipped the +AT =EGMR=1,7”xxxxXXXXXXXXXXXX", but act to put only one " after the 7, because it you do not do it, it says "AT command failed" , after reboot. The dimension of the letters is so small that you do not notice it

with these 2 actions I was able to have the sim card working and it is perfect

I still do not know how to insert other widgets on the right side of the clock

Reactions: dev_null

PichaLatigo

Jul 6, 2010
I can not recommend it anymore. Bluetooth and GPS are not working anymore after one month using very happily.
I tried to use Nova launcher with "All in one gestures" app recommended by another user but not so practical. I am used to its simple launcher but missing some functions like application manager (I had to use and alternative from play store).
My sim card didn't have any problem. Calls and data work fine. But without GPS it is useless for me.
Moreover my seller can offer an spare charging dock and I would like to get another one just in case... and I didn't find anywhere

Last edited:
Reactions: dev_null

excelintel

Jul 15, 2015
I just got the watch yesterday. UI is great and it comes with pre-installed playstore. Battery life i still need to monitor , if i use wifi and bluetooth, seems it drains quite fast. GPS and bluetooth working fine after testing...
As for notification while pairing with phone, it seems that it does not really work...:confused:

Last edited:

uffi69

Nov 15, 2008
Riccione
Is this smartwatch water resistant?

Hi all, i'm interested in buying this smartwatch and i would know if it is water resistant (ipx7 is enough) thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Launcher I used Trebuchet or Google launcher(heavier) , for phone connectivity notify with headsup program that you prefer... for watch with weather use chronus... everything working smooth battery consumption is fine.

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

I made port of AOSP MOD from Fly IQ4404 to our device battery life is good now so you can test, and compare with stock rom, replaced some of the drivers and kernel, there are some programs that need to be adopted to our resolution or ported from stock rom, I used 160 dpi.
    Be aware that you Imei can be lost so don't flash it if you don't have full backup that is done through Flashtool, NOT TWRP !!! because I made TWRP more for Rom installation. after install wipe dalvik/cache don't do any advanced wipe or you can loose your Imei. I warned!
    Link: https://mega.nz/#!nU82iaYK!7eZN6BtrpMqWL7bzQ6XcsBzCdnM-dbxKPQqa8YMol7I
    First things that need to be done is to adjust some apps like dealer, I don't use watch as phone but you can do this, and also fix camera resolution now maximum I think is 1.3M I done earlier the fix but lost is somewhere maybe do it later, when rom is installed first of all activate xposed and gravitybox(they are installed by default) and turn on pie control after that you can start adjusting the rom.
    As I told it's earlier beta port but it can be adjusted very easier only meters of time, everything is working in it. I'm using it on daily basics.
    And I forgot to tell that languages are English, Russian and Ukraine.
    So as usually USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.
    Put your progress on the wiki

Since it's always a major pain in the ass to try to sift through countless thread pages I started collecting info here on the xda wiki.

Please contribute!
    TWRP Recovery for watch https://mega.nz/#!CV8TGQiA!pM8HnOXUj3-woF8-4ylLiiIUlPA_sEHeWcQI6OXCwko used default kernel so no selinux support, may have bugs.
    As usually I'm not responsible for any damage it can cause only tor testing purposes, don't forget to backup your nvram, your IMEI can be lost.
    I installed wit MTKDroid tools.(didn't loose my Imei but I was on custom firmware...)
    later maybe I will upload custom firmware if I'll get everything working, now battery consumption is to high...
    K8 (and Google Play based watches) apps guide

Here's my contribution with apps and knowledge I have acquired so far (sorry if something is not clear, my native language is portuguese and I mainly read in english. I wish I could speak and write more often).
    In the first month I was trying to use the watch as a total substitute for my Lumia phone. Android has thousands of great options that Windows Phone doesn't have, so I thought it would be easy. But the lack of micro SD support turns to be a challenge. After some research I found Link2SD to be the best option for me, cause it allows to transfer some app data to the virtual SD card, so I could install almost all apps I wanted - and they are a lot! I've downloaded and tested many apps, and successfully solved some lack of functions, but after two months of intense use, I gave it up because of battery consumption and now I'm using it more like a high tech fitness gadget and phone companion. Maybe in the future, with new battery technologies, we will use an watch instead of a phone (for those who wants this). A nice advice I give is to buy this Bluetooth phone (http://pt.aliexpress.com/store/prod...one-Headset-Headfree/1470051_32370632037.html) because talking to your wrist is still socially funny and some people are not ready for this... Lol
    Today I am using Apex Launcher but there are many good options as Nova Launcher or Action Launcher. So without further talk, these are some of my apps:

To replace system and default launcher lacks of features:
    All in One Gestures - I use it to access recent apps, switch apps with Alt + Tab, quickly access Voice Search, volume bar and Scroll to top functions.
    App Hider - hide some not so used apps' icons like Health and Barometer.
    AudioManager - access to audio profiles and manage different types of audio functions (like alarm, media, voice call).
    Avast Battery Saver - provides user profiles and creates a list of installed heavy apps in terms of battery usage.
    Big Font and Big Font Widget - rapidly adjusts system's font size for better reading.
    Bluelight Filter (with Night Mode addition) - apply a filter on the screen to help avoid eye strain when there's lower ambient light.
    CCleaner - I use it often to clear unwanted files that takes many mb of watch's memory.
    Commander for Google Now - custom commands for "Ok Google" (needs Google app installed).
    Daydream Launcher - access to this nice function of Android. I normally use this when charging.
    Float Clock - adds a little digital clock on top of any screen - really useful.
    Float Battery - same as Float Clock, but this is for battery status.
    Full Battery & Theft Alarm - rings an alarm when battery is charged.
    GeoLog - turns on and off device location based on your status (driving, walking, etc).
    Glovebox - for me one of the most important. I can swype from edge to have a bar full of shortcuts (can launch apps, folders with apps, apps and system's shortcuts, quick toggles and floating widgets - for this last, one could use AirWidgets too). This one is really useful! A similar app but simpler is Sidebar.
    Heads-up Notifications - similar to iOS banner notifications.
    Link2SD - the best toolbox for managing apps (move, freeze, uninstall, etc).
    Open Mic+ - for launching Google search via "OK Google" within any screen, much like on Android Wear.
    Power Schedule - great for scheduling automatic shutdown when you go to sleep.
    Resolution Changer - I used this just for testing purposes, but could be useful for someone.
    Root Booster - along with Greenify (which I uninstalled) and Avast Battery, I was trying to achieve more battery time as possible.
    Screen On - some apps don't have this option, so I use this.
    Settings Search - unfortunately this watch doesn't allow us to access all settings. So this app does.
    Shake Unlocker Screen - it doesn't work very well unlocking watch, but it's better than nothing.
    Smart Wifi Toggler - many options for configuring WiFi use.
    Timely Chimer - hourly beeps helps me to know the actual time without waking watch.
    WiFi Automatic - solved my connectivity problem (watch was shutting down WiFi).

Useful utilities:
    Auto Finder - help me to find where I have parked my car.
    Car dashdroid - great app aimed for when you are driving. It gives nice infos and easy access for contacts and navigation.
    Clip Stack - makes a list of all words I have copied to clipboard.
    Mobizen - similar to AirDroid, it allows remote controlling and screen recording.
    Move it! - sedentary warnings.
    Out Loud - reads out and loud notifications. This is good when driving.
    Quick Favorites - quick and visual access for my favorites contacts.
    Screen Flashlight - great design and functions for having flashlight with screen brightness.
    Tasker - one of the best Android apps. Automate almost anything.
    The Black Screen - this one I use as a background for Glovebox floating widgets. It's a bit useless. Lol
    Timed Toggles - if you want to automate some tasks based on time triggers.
    Transparent Pattern Lock - trying to look as Android Wear lock screen.
    Type Machine - records everything you write. For me it's a must have.

Apps I still have to test (seems to be useful on watch):
    9Cards Launcher
    AirMouse
    AnyCut
    AppAlarm
    Automate
    AutoStart
    Battery Calibration
    Better Open With
    Call PopOut
    City Timelapse
    Control Panel
    CPU Tuner
    Dayframe
    Desktop Notifications
    Deep Sleep Battery Saver
    Draw on Screen
    DynamicNotifications
    Finger Gesture Launcher
    Floatify
    Floating Dialer
    Floating Shortcuts
    FocusON
    Geofencer
    Glance
    Hibernation Manager
    Hooks
    Kernel Adiutor
    Locale
    MegaSound
    Morning Kit
    Notifidgets
    One Power Guard
    Overlays
    Phone Mode
    Pocket Time
    Remote Shot Live Preview
    SF Launcher 2
    Smart Settings
    Smart Voice Assistant
    Speaking Clock
    SpeedUp Swap
    Swipe
    Swype Status Bar
    Tasker Now
    Touchless Chat
    Voice Keyboard
    Voice Reading
    utter! Voice Commands
    WakeUp
    Wiser Launcher

Some important notes:
    - As far as I know, there's no way to add widgets to default launcher, as it's home page (the one with watchfaces) is a kind of system app or function embedded on launcher, and maybe only developer has full access to it.
    - I achieved root with KingRoot and everything works well.
    - Under developer mode (which can be accessed by tapping many times on "Build number" in settings) I leave "Show Touches" on, so I can precisely see what I've touched.
    - Still under this mode, I mark Large Text. On Display Screen setting, I use extra large fonts. But this options sometimes leaves to misplaced characters on apps.
    -Avast Battery Saver shows me heavy battery usage of default launcher.
    - Apex Launcher allows me to turn screen off and return to same screen when turned it on. Default launcher sadly always gets back to watch face.
    - Apex also allows to use widgets on home screen, so I can install different watch widgets and use them as watch faces.
    - I am really afraid of bricking this watch, so maybe will never mess around with another roms. Someone could write a great review and show us battery usage on xXx rom.

K8 design decisions and maybe upgrades for next versions:
    - This watch could have an easier way to access battery and SIM card. This screws doesn't help at all.
    - Battery should be easily interchangeable.
    - AMOLED screen would be a nice welcome to save battery.
    -MicroUSB should not be on the dock for charging, but on watch's side. So we don't have to carry a dock everywhere we go.
    -Bluetooth should be 4.0 LE.

Need some help:
    -If someone wants to help me find a working Live Wallpaper Picker .apk, it would be great! I've tried to install some I've found online without success.
    -Does someone knows an Xposed module that helps to redesign screen elements so everything seems to be projected for this watch? Is Xposed safe to install? Any brick risks involved?
    -Battery Notifications at 20% and 10% still bother me from time to time. I've uninstalled apk with Link2SD but it still works.
    -Is there some kind of third party Notifications Panel? I found no access to notifications in different launchers.

Any doubts just ask me. Let's try to build a community around this nice watch. =)
    I wasn't aware we were being judged on how many screenshots we posted :p

Anyway, here are some screenshots of xXx's custom rom with GravityBox, Nova Launcher and some Apps using App Settings. You can also see some how some apps look. As I've mentioned, this rom improves performance, usefulness, and battery life. I also use DS battery saver to save battery a lot. I've been playing with some CPU tuners as well, but I haven't found the performance trade off for them to be useful... yet.