Kaiser Video Driver Bounty - ~$7,808.55 Raised As Of Mar 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

gthing

Feb 13, 2007
SL,UT
TOTAL BOUNTY SO FAR: ~$7,808.55 AS OF 7Mar2008

As of March 7th this thread will be closed and we will no longer be accepting any more pledges!

WHY:

1. It is becoming a logistical problem to contact everyone should a driver ever be made and released.

2. Leaving the donations going encourages people to wait so they can get more money. I think we've raised plenty enough for someone to be motivated to work on this.

3. It doesn't appear we will ever solve this problem (at least without the help of HTC).

4. Donations have slowed to a trickle anyway.

BIG THANKS TO Jimmyy WHO HELPED KEEP THE RUNNING TOTAL!!!

Problem: Our Kaisers currently lack proper D3D (direct 3d) drivers and are therefore performing at a fraction of their actual capabilities. This results in poor video playback, poor camera/image performance, and bad performance in video games and other video-intensive software.

As of yet, HTC has not given a reasonable response to our petition, many calls, and emails. They have given us no reason to believe they will be providing a solution at any time in the future.

EDIT: It has come to my attention that the above statement is not 100% accurate - it's slightly more complicated than that. Chainfire (the dev who is pushing the charge on getting these drivers working) was kind enough to provide a more accurate statement:

Chainfire said:
"Our Kaisers currently lack drivers for hardware accellerated display functionality. A full set of these drivers would significantly speed up ALL drawing operations, including the user interfaces of normal applications, video playback, games and 3D rendering."

"There are different parts to these drivers, namely for 2D (user interfaces, video, images) and 3D graphics (games). It is not yet sure even IF these drivers will be available soon, and if they are, which parts will be accellerated."

"The plan, ofcourse, is to provide a full set. Though this will most likely not include a speed up for the camera."

The solution: We have people here working on getting hardware-accelerated display drivers working on our Kaisers. (See this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=339745)

This thread is here so anyone who wishes can pledge money to the person who brings us the solution. Just post how much you are willing to give and I will add you to this first post.

DO NOT OFFER MONEY IF YOU'RE NOT WILLING TO GIVE IT WHEN AND IF THE SOLUTION BECOMES AVAILABLE. THAT'S WORSE THAN TAKING HOME FOOD FROM AN ALL YOU CAN EAT BUFFET AND YOU WILL BE SHUNNED AND RIDICULED. FOR THE REST OF YOUR DAYS, PEOPLE WILL CALL YOU A YELLOW BELLIED COWARD.

If you can't give a lot, offer a little, if you can't offer a little, don't worry about it.

(Whoever gets these drivers working, you'll need to send us your paypal address. :D )

Note: No obligation to pay up if HTC, AT&T, or some other company comes up with the solution first - we've already given them enough.

So I'll put up $10 - I know it's modest but I'm poor as hell.

PLEASE MAKE YOUR PLEDGE IN $$$USD$$$. I'M NOT A MATH GUY.

CURRENT PLEDGES (NOT UPDATED):

gthing - $10
wingman - $20
Thorvald - $50
dkapp - $10
M1A1D - $50
intothevoid - $50
zyxe - $50
gxprice - $50
puerrican85 - $25
moosic - $50
Vaxon - $10
mrmega - $25
dan13l - $20
Axman - $25
eska - $20
scwilson8382 - $20
Nick Collision - $25
Tavocr - $20
hotplainrice - $10
nicholasendean - $70
nbviper - $20
RemE - $25
flxkid - $25
notten - $30
sancho1234 - $20
freddiemac1 - $50
DSmithZ28 - $10
iwasfresh - $10
patr!k - $10
laakness - $10
stozmon - $20
jakirkla - $15
GSLEON3 - $20
eric516 - $20
herndonken - $20
jatin.ahuja - $10
ktdan1 - $10
petard - $10
marm0lade - $10
Girvo - $20
existence - $75
maxblaster - $200
Globalrebel - $20
davidusr - $15
mrkoven - $10
TheFuzz - $50
KCMatt - $20
jetbrown1 - $10
wing - $30
ceevee369 - $20
Fujur - $20
crazyjack - $20
cruton - $10
timcuculic - $20
stmcgill - $10
deadbolt67 - $25
Epsii - $20
SCSweeps - $20
docf - $10
autosoori - $20
j_sous - $10
sjhong - $20
kms108 - $10
TiltedAz - $20
juiceppc - $5
greg123 - $5
makron83 - $10
debauch - $25
Blar - $15
jon_k - $35
species8472_rules - $20
heinz2007 - $20
eharley - $30
cyborger - $30
djbigz - $20
CorruptedSanity - $140
acboydston - $10
jwexqm - $50
undac - $50
smuook - $20
Tupac_Shakur - $20
ssaxe01s - $20
cotc2001 - $99
Insane Devil - $15
Vexamus - $50
daniel_rh - $10
M1A1D - $50
sschoi - $15
mindbeat - $10
beefaronee - $30
troublemakermk - $20
steph33 - $50
nvrnuff - $20
jakeypoo - $20
brianlb - $15
DarkDvr - $20
ZombieMariachis - $20
xenocidal - $5
xdamatt - $30
skoop99 - $25
CAL0613 - $20
NuShrike - $20
Bronx31 - $20
kevinniven - $10
greenbrd - $10
Martincyborg@gmail.com - $40
zulvio - $10
shaharpish - $10
ExcelonGT - $10
barty82 - $5
gladwin - $20
motocrossmann - $50
jehuty03 - $50
johniemi - $5
Ayle - $20
drtlc - $15
SpeedDemon - $50
Zhadum - $30
anilkuj - $10
amb777 - $100
stefanodemais - $20
jgermuga - $25
punkcell - $10
ayoo456 - $15

omikr0n - 10€
coincoinlapin - 20€
RacerII - 20€
Satscan - 25€
M4cr0s - 10€
Rufh - 50€
Sordid - 10€
Minosk - 20€
dazzle999 - 20€
hondosan - 5€
atomikpt - 25€
Conspirit - 20€
Pieke2001 - 25€
dmt - 10€
rico28888 - 15€
____
Yan - 10
morbidangel - 25
joekai - 15
Brevi - 20
SilverstarX - 10
FabianNL - 10

Total: 375€ (~$600)

storms - £30
EeekiE £20
nicholasendean - £20
dolbe - £25
duttythroy - £30
____
chookz 25
_DrG_ - 10
Total: £125 (~250)

Endiz: 20CAD
____
Total: ~$20

ladytoast: $40AUD
chris021: $20 NZ

Last edited:

wingman_214

Jul 9, 2007
Laredo,TX
for a complete set of working drivers i would pay $50.00 for being smarter than those morons at htc.

and for a set of drivers that at least improve me experance $20.00

Thorvald

Dec 2, 2007
Put me down for $50 to the person that figures it out.

As I stated before, this thing is SLOOOWWWW. :-(

dkapp

Dec 31, 2006
How would you contact those who "pledge" a donation. I'm guessing the end total will be significantly less than what was offered over the period of testing and development as people move on, lose interest or just don't pay.

I'm going to pledge $10 as my use is email and word documents mostly. I'm business oriented and look for the fastest ROM possible to keep up with my multitasking. I don't have any audio or video loaded on my Tilt.

I just want to support free thinking and hard work. Just contact me via PM or email and I'll send the money.

Dave

gthing

Feb 13, 2007
SL,UT
@Dave

I was planning on contacting people via PM when the goal is reached, or if the thread got really long, having some people help me.

That said, don't offer money if you're not willing to pay. That's no different than stealing.

CURRENT BOUNTY: $90

wingman_214

Jul 9, 2007
Laredo,TX
@Dave

I was planning on contacting people via PM when the goal is reached, or if the thread got really long, having some people help me.

That said, don't offer money if you're not willing to pay. That's no different than stealing.

CURRENT BOUNTY: $90

as this thread grows update the first post with the user names and pledge amounts of all people who want to contribute.

in my opinion if you pledge to contribute and dont you might ought to be banned from this forum. as the name xda-DEVELOPERS suggests we DEVELOP. weather its because have the knowledge to write the code for some of the amazing programs found here or because we donate and appreciate and promote the people who spend countless hours away from their families and in front of their pc thinking and making break throughs that we all use.

RacerII

Jun 2, 2007
20 euros
For a full set of working drivers that improve the performance.
Unless htc fixes this , they wont get my money lol.

intothevoid

Apr 26, 2006
NY
coolstuff.itvw.net
I will give $50 bucks to whoever fixes this problem which is a pain in the neck. I am checking the forums 10 times a day hoping something pops up. Hopefully soon. This thread great idea btw for driver development encouragement.

gthing

Feb 13, 2007
SL,UT
I don't think there is anything wrong with a little friendly competition! :D

It's not like we're dealing with a whole lot of money here anyway in the general scheme of things.

I see the more likely scenario being that the dev finishes his work and then sits around and waits to get the most out of this thread. Although I don't think any of our devs would do that as it is blatantly dishonest...

--

I updated the first post with numbers. Let me know if I missed anyone.

Last edited:

creed

Feb 28, 2006
I don't think there is anything wrong with a little friendly competition! :D

It's not like we're dealing with a whole lot of money here anyway in the general scheme of things.

I see the more likely scenario being that the dev finishes his work and then sits around and waits to get the most out of this thread. Although I don't think any of our devs would do that as it is blatantly dishonest...

--

I updated the first post with numbers. Let me know if I missed anyone.

BUT if the developer waits to let the money go up he/she is risking someone else nipping in there before them and claiming the money!

gxprice

Aug 22, 2007
I'll offer up US$50 to he/she/them that improves the video drivers a bit.

Further to some of the comments above, I tend to believe that if people work together (here), they credit each other fully in writing at all opportunities (community spirit, etc.). I therefore don't suspect that someone will get "greedy" and furthermore believe that if there are 2 or 3 people who end up solving the problem, they will happily split the money.

Am I old-fashioned? Probably. Too trusting? Yes, (at least until crossed once...)

I think a "cash pool" will work just fine :) Personally, in my programming days many years ago, it was the "buzz" from finding a solution rather than the immediate reward that did it for me. Granted I was earning a salary at the time but tell me I'm wrong ...

Best regards and good luck,

Gary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *sigh*

Just how many times does it have to be said, the problems with the multimedia capabilities are NOT the main part of the issue, they're only a small part of a much greater problem, that the device performs very poorly for ALL functions, including business ones. With the screen being only software driven, EVERYTHING suffers. From Start Menu drawing, to scrolling through Word and Excel documents, to scrolling through File Manager, to using Tom Tom... EVERYTHING.

I do wish people would understand that simple fact... We'd get a LOT further with things if they did...

HTC advertised it as the most advanced communications device on the market. When PDA's from 3 years ago outperform it at almost every step, then that's a mis-advertisement.