Kali Nethunter on Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1

Search This thread

tutaf

May 17, 2019
Installing Nethunter
1. Download and install magisk module called KaliNethunter
2. Go to offensive security website and download generic arm64 nethunter image
3. Extract and install following apps from downloaded archive: NetHunter.apk, NetHunterTerminal.apk.
4. Extract kalifs-arm64-full.tar.xz on your phone.
5. Open NetHunter app and grant permissions and root permission
6. Open hamburger menu, select Kali Chroot Manager, select location where you had extracted kalifs-arm64-full.tar.xz and start installing chroot
7. Wait some time (~10 minutes)
8. Start chroot. Now you can use nethunter app and nethunter terminal app.

Enabling monitor mode on built-in wifi module
0. I could not enable it on custom roms. On stock 082 it worked, but there are some problems. Contact me if you have any info about enabling monitor mode on roms except stock.
1. Open nethunter app, go to custom commands
2. Click run on "Start wlan0 in monitor mode"
3. Now wlan0 is in monitor mode. I've tried capturing handshakes using airodump-ng, it worked. However, when I tried deauth attack using aireplay-ng, wlan0 was stuck on channel 0.
4. Note that if you turn wifi on/off or try to disable monitor mode, your phone will turn off.
5. Alternative way: you can enable monitor mode using other apps, like penmon. However, your phone will still turn off if you do anything to wlan0 while it is in monitor mode.

Using external wifi adapter
0. Your wifi adapter must support monitor mode. External adapter won't work without a kernel that supports it. I've built one based on darkonah (many thaks to @travarilo ). Atheros HTC based adpaters are not supported!
1. Flash the attached kernel (the latest version is NH_kernel_v2.zip).
2. Now you can use your exernal adapter.

Enabling monitor mode on external adapter
0. I only tested it with Alfa AWUS036NH (chipset ralink3070), but the instruction may be similar for other adapters
1. First, let's install firmware for your wireless adapter
Code:
apt update
apt upgrade
apt install firmware-ralink
2. Execute command iwconfig and check if your adapter is present there. For me it was displayed as wlan1
3. Turn your adapter off and put it into monitor mode
Code:
ifconfig wlan1 down
airmon-ng start wlan1
4. Check airmon-ng output. It will say you that your adapter is now in monitor mode and will give you new adapter's name (for me it was wlan1mon)
5. Now you can use monitor mode on your adapter (for example, to run airodump-ng)

P.S.: Do it at your own risk and don't use this info in illegal purposes. Only you are responsible for your actions.

Attachments

• darkonah-X00T-nagasari-NETHUNTER.zip
    12.5 MB · Views: 48
  • NH_kernel_v2.zip
    12.5 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Heven11

Jan 31, 2020
Thank you very much sir! Really appreciate your work time and efforts!
Just one small query about what rom and firmware are you using?

tutaf

May 17, 2019
Right now I'm using stock rom 082 (and fw 082, respectively), but it would be great if you tested this guide on any custom rom (if you are not going to use built-in wifi module. If you are, I recommend you to use stock rom)

Reactions: Heven11
Dec 12, 2020
Installing Nethunter
3. Extract and install following apps from downloaded archive: NetHunter.apk, NetHunterTerminal.apk.
6. Open hamburger menu, select Kali Chroot Manager, select location where you had extracted kalifs-arm64-full.tar.xz and start installing chroot

0. I could not enable it on custom roms. On stock 082 it worked, but there are some problems. Contact me if you have any info about enabling monitor mode on roms except stock.
3. Now wlan0 is in monitor mode. I've tried capturing handshakes using airodump-ng, it worked. However, when I tried deauth attack using aireplay-ng, wlan0 was stuck on channel 0.
4. Note that if you turn wifi on/off or try to disable monitor mode, your phone will turn off.
5. Alternative way: you can enable monitor mode using other apps, like penmon. However, your phone will still turn off if you do anything to wlan0 while it is in monitor mode.

0. Your wifi adapter must support monitor mode. External adapter won't work without a kernel that supports it. I've built one based on darkonah (many thaks to @travarilo ). Later I'll update this post to list adapters that should be supported by tis kernel.
1. Flash the attached kernel.

0. I only tested it with Alfa AWUS036NH (chipset ralink3070), but the instruction may be similar for other adapters
Code:
apt update
apt upgrade
2. Execute command iwconfig and check if your adapter is present there. For me it was displayed as wlan1
Code:
ifconfig wlan1 down
airmon-ng start wlan1
4. Check airmon-ng output. It will say you that your adapter is now in monitor mode and will give you new adapter's name (for me it was wlan1mon)
5. Now you can use monitor mode on your adapter (for example, to run airodump-ng)

P.S.: Do it at your own risk and don't use this info in illegal purposes. Only you are responsible for your actions.

I love it when you put 0 first instead of 1. A true caffeine blooded being. Btw im on .087 fw ver (X00TDB var.). Gonna try the image out and see if internal wifi module works. Im running BT5 on my xp era machine. 😂

Reactions: tutaf

xda_u$er

Mar 2, 2021
does the kernel support atheros chipset: TL-WN722N v1?
ive done everything i could but my device still dont detect my adapter

apt update
apt upgrade
apt install firmware-atheros
airmon-ng... nothing..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210302-114439.png
    Screenshot_20210302-114439.png
    212.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2021-03-02-11-45-41-562.jpg
    IMG_2021-03-02-11-45-41-562.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_20210302-115713.png
    Screenshot_20210302-115713.png
    408.2 KB · Views: 55

tutaf

May 17, 2019
does the kernel support atheros chipset: TL-WN722N v1?
ive done everything i could but my device still dont detect my adapter

apt update
apt upgrade
apt install firmware-atheros
airmon-ng... nothing..
I had some problems building kernel, so I had to disable support for Atheros HTC based cards. You can try to add it as a loadable kernel module.

0. Flash the attached kernel, download and extract module file (ath9k_htc.ko) from zip
1. Go to NetHunter Terminal app and start androidsu shell
2. Go to the folder where you had extracted ath9k_htc.ko. For example:
Code:
cd /storage/emulated/0/Download
3. Install the module
Code:
insmod ath9k_htc.ko
If it throws error like "no such file or directory", check dmesg
4. Check if the module is installed
Code:
lsmod
You should see the name of the module (ath9k_htc) and its size (check attached screenshot)
5. Now try executing airmon-ng in kali terminal.

Module doesn't persist between reboots. Let me know if it works for you, I'll try to automate module installation process.

Attachments

• nh_kernel_ath9k_htc_module.zip
    12.5 MB · Views: 9
  • ath9k_htc.ko.zip
    33.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20210302-194319.png
    Screenshot_20210302-194319.png
    90.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

xda_u$er

Mar 2, 2021
Throws me error..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210303-001532.png
    Screenshot_20210303-001532.png
    194.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20210303-001355.png
    Screenshot_20210303-001355.png
    238.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20210303-002106.png
    Screenshot_20210303-002106.png
    411.6 KB · Views: 24

tutaf

May 17, 2019
its huge, so I put it in notepad
Sorry, my bad, I gave you the module for the previous kernel build (it has different name, that is why insmod throws error). Please try installing the attached module. If anything goes wrong, send me dmesg again.

Attachments

• ath9k_htc_FIX.zip
    33.8 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: xda_u$er

xda_u$er

Mar 2, 2021
Well, the installation went ok, but the external adapter its not working, it is not recognized by the device.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210304-220947.png
    Screenshot_20210304-220947.png
    203.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20210304-221117.png
    Screenshot_20210304-221117.png
    202.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

tutaf

May 17, 2019
Well, the installation went ok, but the external adapter its not working, it is not recognized by the device.
Sorry, I don't know what to do with that. You may try to find an old version (~2019) of TRB kernel, I've heard that its developer tried to enable Atheros HTC based adapters support.

Heven11

Jan 31, 2020
Hii again! Your kernel is working amazingly good!and thanks to your guidance nethunter is working fine for me!
But I am unable to perform hid attacks are you able to do them? Like using our phone as a bad usb ! Does this also need kernel modification?

tutaf

May 17, 2019
Hii again! Your kernel is working amazingly good!and thanks to your guidance nethunter is working fine for me!
But I am unable to perform hid attacks are you able to do them? Like using our phone as a bad usb ! Does this also need kernel modification?
As far as I know, it does. I haven't tried any usb attacks, but I'm going to.

tutaf

May 17, 2019
I've enabled everything that should be enabled to make bluetooth attacks work, but they don't. The adapter is recognized by the system, but nethunter app doesn't see it. I would be very thankful if you tested bluetooth with new kernel. Btw, usb attacks work with new kernel too. I've tried launching firefox on my PC, it worked. This is a really cool thing :)

Attachments

• NH_kernel_v2.zip
    12.5 MB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20210306-221015241.jpg
    Screenshot_20210306-221015241.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 22

Heven11

Jan 31, 2020
Firstly sorry for late reply! I had to reset my device since I was testing some android 11 rom and Thank you sooooo much for V2 of this kernel😃,usb/hid is working like a charm but I haven't tried bluetooth yet but will definitely try it soon since I don't know how to do it!
Please continue the development of this kernel😅and remember you are a legend!
Thank you again!

Reactions: Dev120 and tutaf

Dev120

Mar 8, 2021
Hii! I want to try Kali nethunter on my device but there are many bugs that I am facing my internet is not working in Kali not monitor mode is working!
Can you please make a nethunter ROM!please
Or give me a backup of your ROM KERNEL AND FIRMWARE THAT I can flash through TWRP !
Please!
PS. Currently I am using Android 10 corvus os and nethunter is not working!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Installing Nethunter

0. Your wifi adapter must support monitor mode. External adapter won't work without a kernel that supports it. I've built one based on darkonah (many thaks to @travarilo ). Atheros HTC based adpaters are not supported!
    1. Flash the attached kernel (the latest version is NH_kernel_v2.zip).

Code:
    apt update
    apt upgrade
    Code:
    ifconfig wlan1 down
    airmon-ng start wlan1

Firstly sorry for late reply! I had to reset my device since I was testing some android 11 rom and Thank you sooooo much for V2 of this kernel😃,usb/hid is working like a charm but I haven't tried bluetooth yet but will definitely try it soon since I don't know how to do it!
    Please continue the development of this kernel😅and remember you are a legend!
    Thank you again!
    Right now I'm using stock rom 082 (and fw 082, respectively), but it would be great if you tested this guide on any custom rom (if you are not going to use built-in wifi module. If you are, I recommend you to use stock rom)
    Ok thank you!
    I tried to get bluetooth attacks to work, but I couldn't. Sorry, I'm not going to continue the development of this kernel.
    no issues! thanks for your work it was a great kernel really enjoyed it!
    all the best!