Kang is an adjective and a verb..But what does it mean?

Search This thread

Amrosorma

Aug 28, 2008
I know this is a stupid question, but I see "kang" pop up in a lot of things related to Cyanogen and I guess lifting things without credit? I'm not sure.

What's the history behind it?

Reactions: theggs

Clarkster

Mar 23, 2007
Sooke
I've also know what it was all about, and everything that happened. But I still don't know what kang means. Those posts don't help. I've always just assumed it was a word someone made up and it means 'stolen' or something.

Only official definition I can find is:
a masonry or earthen platform at one end of a room, heated in winter by fires underneath and spread with mats for sleeping.

Pretty sure that's not it. ;)

lnjryan

Jul 23, 2009
Planet Earth
From Urban Dictionary:

Kanged
The act of having your meeting hijacked, in favor of a convoluted and meandering presentation of impractical concepts that can never be implemented. Also a term for a discussion that impacts you, but does not include you.

"I got Kanged at the new business presentation yesterday"

Reactions: omell and IA-32e

djmcnz

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 13, 2009
Auckland, NZ
From Urban Dictionary:

Kanged
The act of having your meeting hijacked, in favor of a convoluted and meandering presentation of impractical concepts that can never be implemented. Also a term for a discussion that impacts you, but does not include you.

Perhaps, but that's not what it means here...

bassmadrigal

Jun 4, 2010
Newport News, Virginia
bassmadrigal.com
I wasn't going to respond to this since it was so old, but it seems there are many different ideas on what KANGs actually are. They are just unofficial builds. Ones that use the CM codebase and are then compiled. They can have additional patches included, but generally are closely linked to CyanogenMod. One of the more popular KANG builds was Fitsnugly's Gigglebread. He would take the codebase and add a few patches that looked interesting/promising and compile it for others to test out.

CM releases their code opensource under the Apache license. While this does mean that anyone can take that code and do whatever they want with it (including removing any and all signs on where it came from), it is generally an accepted practice to acknowledge where the work originally came from. KANGs are perfectly acceptable (and encouraged), but the CM dev team would just like to have credit for their hardwork.

akycia

Aug 12, 2009
hudson
I know this is a stupid question, but I see "kang" pop up in a lot of things related to Cyanogen and I guess lifting things without credit? I'm not sure.

Yep... from back in the G1/HTC Dream days.... that guy would steal code and claim it as his own. I think that "Kang" is a different pronunciation of "King", from that username. Wow, nostalgia...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Kang means to take somebody else's work and put it to good use. Credit is expected but occasionally not given.
    I wasn't going to respond to this since it was so old, but it seems there are many different ideas on what KANGs actually are. They are just unofficial builds. Ones that use the CM codebase and are then compiled. They can have additional patches included, but generally are closely linked to CyanogenMod. One of the more popular KANG builds was Fitsnugly's Gigglebread. He would take the codebase and add a few patches that looked interesting/promising and compile it for others to test out.

CM releases their code opensource under the Apache license. While this does mean that anyone can take that code and do whatever they want with it (including removing any and all signs on where it came from), it is generally an accepted practice to acknowledge where the work originally came from. KANGs are perfectly acceptable (and encouraged), but the CM dev team would just like to have credit for their hardwork.
    From Urban Dictionary:

Kanged

not that again!

I like the term "Gaffled", but that may be just an "urban thang"...:cool:
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone