[Kang] *Unofficial* CM9 and CM7 Kangs/ROMs

Search This thread

guidoido004

Feb 1, 2011
São Paulo
twitter.com
haha but ill take a picture of your Motorola pay check stub .... hows that leak coming ?

With issues! LOL.

Im not a motorolas employee, its other company. Lot of companies have info of anothers.
Thats kinda good :p

Great work with ICS photon and atrix dev team. I think motorola will use your source to fix their issues. LOL².

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App

anwoo

Apr 11, 2010
3G battery drain

Can anyone post some stats when you stream music/video over 3G?

What's the battery drain per hour?

crnkoj

Feb 16, 2011
Hey guys i just wanted to post an update about the cm7 kangs, since it seems the cm7 nightlies are back online i will NOT be posting the kangs so often, i will however try to update them once a week, if there wont be any weeklies from the ADT/Turl , since as far as i understand it the cm7 nightlies dont have fp support.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New CM9 Kang: Latest CM9 w FP

Hi,

Spent some time earlier porting the FP (fingerprint) changes to the latest CM9 codebase. Here is the Kang: http://www.sendspace.com/file/v0dfbp

In the past week, CM9 changed the design of the Settings app significantly so it took me a couple days to re-port my changes manually. This Kang has the latest CM9 changes, the latest device changes from Atrix-dev and the FP changes (I made a few additional tweaks to the FP code).

I resubmitted the FP code to gerrit - hope the upload goes through fine :) Once this is uploaded to CM9, I'll start to build a 2.6.39 kernel.

Thanks to Turl and the Atrix-dev team for tons of patience and help, and for the CM7 FP code :)
    Hi,
    i am slightly confused: there are two different links on two (different?) KANGs - in post 2 and post 12.
    Are they different or same?

Another question (assuming link from post2 to be official unofficial atrix-dev build) - will be this link reside always in post2 (and updated) or you will post each time new link?

Thanks

For cm9 use the links from the first or second post

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

Thanks for your work, I'm really excited seeing ICS more and more for the Atrix.

How is the battery life with this build?

I was thinking that Nvidia has already released this!? Isn't it?
    http://developer.nvidia.com/tegra-resources

Edit : Sorry didn't see the posts above stating about this point...

So lets try to get some light into it, the issue about hw acceleration for the atrix is that, even now that nvidia released proper ICS binaries, those are made for recent kernel versions (post 2.6.39 and 3.x versions), those libs are floating around and are accessible to most people who would want to build stuff with hw acceleration, the problem on the atrix however is we only have 2.6.32 kernel sources from motorola, which in term means all the libs floating around are incompatible and useless. Now there would be two general ways of fixing this: 1. get libs that work with 2.6.32 kernels but are ics compatible (most improbable, except if moto leaks them and is still to lazy to move on from the 2.6.32 kernel) 2. get or make post 2.6.39 kernel sources that have the atrix's proprietary drivers including or rewritten (actually more probable, but still quite low chances, except if moto releases and ICS build for the photon/atrix or someone knows, has the time and will to write these code from scratch for the newer kernel versions). So as you can see this is quite a grim outlook, its still being worked on by community devs as far as my information are up-to-date, but i dont know which aproach they are choosing. There is however a minor glimpse of hope, since the move to integrate android drivers in the mainline/mainstream linux kernel is happening in the 3.3 kernel version (there are 3.2.x versions as of now), so this might be actually the best bet, hoping that most of the atrix proprietary drivers will be supported in it, one could just use the "nvidia libs floating around", another thing is nvidia is maintaining their own tegra2/3 kernel sources, so combined with the 3.3 move to android drivers and nvidia implementing support for tegra into their sources, it might not look so grim for us anymore, but this is all a developing story.
    I wrote this so people will understand the issue better, please stay on topic regarding the thread and if you wish to discuss this specific matter make a thread in Atrix general link to this post and discuss there.
    I've a noob question.
    The Android kernel is always develop by the manufacturer since they've the source code and driver, but other people don't have. So, how can u update the kernel? Cuz there is some difference between T20 and AP20H.

If you have a n00b question, you should be prepared to pull up a chair, a hot cup of coffee, and read a lengthy response to your question :)

There is no such thing as an android kernel. Android is built on the Linux operating system. The kernel versions we keep bandying about are the versions of the linux kernel. This kernel was initially developed by Linux Torvalds in 1991 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel
    The linux kernel is entirely open source - it uses a license called GPL (version 2) which enforces that the kernel be open source, even though you can use it commercially. In fact, due to this license, companies like Microsoft were forced to donate 20K lines of code to the linux kernel project when they unknowingly violated the license :) http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft...microsoft-open-sourced-its-linux-drivers/3433

So - you might be wondering - if all's sunny and good in the world, the kernel's open source, and if you use GPL code you *have* to release your stuff as open source, why oh why do we hear about vendors not releasing proprietary drivers? Here's why:

Computers have limited amount of memory. Back in the day (1995 or so when the linux 2.0 kernel was designed) an average pc had anywhere from 640 KB - 8 MB of RAM [yes, that's right: smaller RAM than your android cellphone]. There was no way you could build a kernel that supported every driver in the world and still fit into memory and still leave some memory for your stuff [you'd want to do something with the computer after you powered it on, right? :)] So the good old folks designing the kernel came up with the idea of loading drivers at run time rather than building every possible driver right into the kernel. That way, the base kernel could be small, and you could plug in only those drivers you needed for your computer without having humongous bloat in the kernel.

A few years later, around 1997-99, IBM and a bunch of other big companies started becoming really interested in Linux. They wanted to use and distribute linux for their machines - but not everyone wanted to release what was proprietary code for their devices. Loadable kernel modules offered a compromise - if you wrote the kernel module without using too much of the kernel code (so that it could not be considered "derivative work") you were safe - you didn't have to release your drivers as open source.You could just release binary kernel modules instead. Some people are philosophically opposed to this concept, and there are versions of Linux that refuse to use any proprietary / binary only drivers.

With this context - the drivers that NVidia released for ics are compatible with 2.6.39 version of the kernel. That version, like any other version, is available as open source in many flavors. What I plan on doing is to get the most suitable version, and build the 2.6.39 kernel from source. Once I do that, the hope is that the nvidia drivers will work. While T20 is for tablets and AP20H for smartphones, both have the Cortex A9 architecture http://www.anandtech.com/show/4144/...gra-2-review-the-first-dual-core-smartphone/4 - so your last question boils down to - can you run Win7 on an intel i5 chip, since it is designed to work on i7?
    Hello:

This thread is being started to post *unofficial* kangs (roms) based on Atrix-dev-team's work with CM9 and CM7. ghost_og, crnkoj and I decided to collaborate and have one thread where we post our kangs. What's a Kang? The unofficial definition follows :)

KANG: unofficial build: as in - you are (mostly) on your own. Please do not contact the CM9 or CM7 teams, or the atrix dev team with issues found in these ROMs. Instead, post questions/issues in this thread.

I will be posting CM9 builds regularly [meaning weekly or a little more frequently]. I will usually test builds for 1-2 hrs before posting. crnkoj will be posting CM7 builds.

If you want to build your own kangs, instructions can be found here:

CM9 - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1450054
    CM7 - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1442842

Thanks to the Atrix-Dev team and Turl1 for all their hard work porting CM7/9 to the Atrix.

The next post will contain CM9 specific information.

CM7 can be found here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21834066&postcount=23
    CM7 Kang 2 reserved: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21834090&postcount=24

CM9: Why does 2D/camera not work - now that NVidia released the ventana reference libs? http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21835368&postcount=27
    Release: Kang with working FP!

Folks:

This is the first release of my CM9 Kang with working FP. I have been using this for over 5 hours now with no issues, so I guess its stable enough to release. Please note: if you download this Kang, you are downloading a ROM that has had minimal testing.

Download link:
    ==========
    Also in post #2: http://www.sendspace.com/file/xek5db - Using SendSpace this time based on slojko's suggestion. Let me know if this is faster.

Features:
    =======
    - Same CM9 codebase as the 1/25 Kang
    - Working FP (read FP notes below before using)

Not yet implemented:
    ==============
    - Device options (including turning off trackpad). Still debugging this, no ETA yet. If anyone wants to help let me know.

Upcoming features:
    =============
    - Integrate the FP changes to base CM9 repo and release the next Kang w/ updated CM9 code: (Need to do some cleanup - this will take a couple days, around 2/1 or 2/2)
    - Enable Device options (Next weekend)
    - Kernel changes (After Device options)

FP release notes:
    ==========

You should see it working similarly to the FP code in CM7.2/CM7. I made one change that irritated the heck out of me in the CM7 FP code: CM7 code treats FP at the same security level as pattern security. Since most Exchange admins (if you use corporate email) enforce using at least a PIN level password security, in CM7 FP was unusable if you wanted to sync with a corporate network.

Moto on the other hand treats FP at the level of complex passwords. You'd have no issues using FP in the official ROM if you wanted to use corp email. With the CM9 port, I changed the security level of FP to complex password, and you can now use FP security with Exchange.

If you disagree and can point out a valid security reason why FP should not be considered as secure as a complex password, I will bump down that level.

One quirk: When waking up the phone, FP unlock might be unresponsive: i.e. swiping your finger might not unlock the phone. If that happens, toggle the power button off and on to turn the screen off and then back on. This time around FP unlock will work. Working through resolving this bug

Other release notes:
    =============
    = Same as 1/25 codebase