KCAL settings for best display color and contrast and also get rid of ghosting

Search This thread

helf

Nov 19, 2008
Hola!

OK, at some point I will finally update the calib.cfg file again. But for now here are the settings I am using with a KCAL enabled kernel to remove ghosting from my screen as well as drasically improve contrast and colors.

I use Kernel Adiutor:

-------------------------
Under 'screen' section >

Screen Color (This kills the ghosting a lot of users are experiencing as well as removes the blue tinge the screen has):
Red = 250
Green = 250
Blue = 235

Minimum RGB value = 35

Saturation Intensity = 27

Screen Hue = 1520

Screen Value = 112

Screen Contrast = 132

---------------------

I have been running it for awhile and it looks fantastic and I have not had anymore ghosting. It also makes the screen look similar to my Note Edge when I first got it. Contrast is improved a LOT. Colors are better. They are not over saturated. Very close to natural. Whites are white and not blue (at least on my display) etc.

Please let me know your results.

-helf

dudeawsome

Nov 30, 2013
any way to change these values without root as I updated to the new tmobile update and atm there is no root method

helf

Nov 19, 2008
any way to change these values without root as I updated to the new tmobile update and atm there is no root method

I don't think so, no. These require a kernel with KCAL integrated. You can kinda adjust the screen values without root by going into settings > general > accessibility > vision > screen color adjustment > manual

But that's about the best you can do beyond nonroot screen filter overlay like cflumens supports etc

jcsx

Dec 30, 2015
by ghosting you mean image retention right? if that is the case, well this is awesome! Thanks

Reactions: helf

Paapa

Dec 16, 2016
A little bit over 15 hrs and no ghosting. My only beef is how the blues look but it's a good configuration overall, easy on the eyes.

helf

Nov 19, 2008
A little bit over 15 hrs and no ghosting. My only beef is how the blues look but it's a good configuration overall, easy on the eyes.

How do the blues look? I need to put the phone with a color calibrator and check it. Mine look pretty close to natural when I eye ball it. I'll keep working on it :)

Reactions: XblackdemonX

Paapa

Dec 16, 2016
How do the blues look? I need to put the phone with a color calibrator and check it. Mine look pretty close to natural when I eye ball it. I'll keep working on it :)

You're doing a great service for us all. Blue's and greens come off slightly dull like they could use a little saturation but if it's at the cost of prevent the ghosting effect i understand.

helf

Nov 19, 2008
You're doing a great service for us all. Blue's and greens come off slightly dull like they could use a little saturation but if it's at the cost of prevent the ghosting effect i understand.

hm. The colors in general are probably a little duller. The vibrancy and contrast and all is usually cranked up on phones Samsung is especially awful about it. People like the 'pop' though. I just compared several shades of blue and greens with the screen at max brightness using the camera app, the colors are almost dead on to my eyes. Granted i have to manually drop the ISO a couple notches because the phone wants to automatically crank it too high (like true-to-life brightness/colors around my work desk it wants to use an ISO of 600 and ISO 200 was real world accurate. heh).

askermk2000

Jul 9, 2015
Moto G
LG G5

You have spectrophotometer? I would love to see some values to use, but wouldn't it be different between devices? No panel is exactly the same, or?
I seem to remember that being reiterated quite a lot on various display discussions I've followed in the past.

helf

Nov 19, 2008
You have spectrophotometer? I would love to see some values to use, but wouldn't it be different between devices? No panel is exactly the same, or?
I seem to remember that being reiterated quite a lot on various display discussions I've followed in the past.[/QUOTES]

Yeah. I don't have a fancy one. It's old but works lol.

There is a variance between panels but it's not as severe as it has been in the past.

bond32

Jun 26, 2010
Franklin
Been trying these settings for a while, personally I really like them. Thanks Op!

Anyone else have any settings to try?

rick09

Apr 8, 2011
Do you use these settings along with Comfort View? Or do you leave the Comfort View setting turned off?

Sent from my LG V20 using XDA Labs

helf

Nov 19, 2008
I seem to remember that being reiterated quite a lot on various display discussions I've followed in the past.

Do you use these settings along with Comfort View? Or do you leave the Comfort View setting turned off?

I use it with CF.lumen.

I don't use comfort view. If you enable it with my settings on you'll have a really yellow display.

KUSOsan

Jul 21, 2013
Be sweet if there was a way to get kcal with stock kernel. I do get the image retention on mine pretty bad sometimes

KUSOsan

Jul 21, 2013

rick09

Apr 8, 2011
Is there any chance applying these changes would cause auto brightness to stop working? Possibly it's coincidence, but I changed my screen settings to exactly how it was in the OP, and since then I've noticed auto brightness no longer works on my phone? I don't see how making these changes would cause that but I figured I'd ask here to be sure, or to see if anyone else has the same problem.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hola!

OK, at some point I will finally update the calib.cfg file again. But for now here are the settings I am using with a KCAL enabled kernel to remove ghosting from my screen as well as drasically improve contrast and colors.

I use Kernel Adiutor:

-------------------------
    Under 'screen' section >

Screen Color (This kills the ghosting a lot of users are experiencing as well as removes the blue tinge the screen has):
    Red = 250
    Green = 250
    Blue = 235

Minimum RGB value = 35

Saturation Intensity = 27

Screen Hue = 1520

Screen Value = 112

Screen Contrast = 132

---------------------

I have been running it for awhile and it looks fantastic and I have not had anymore ghosting. It also makes the screen look similar to my Note Edge when I first got it. Contrast is improved a LOT. Colors are better. They are not over saturated. Very close to natural. Whites are white and not blue (at least on my display) etc.

Please let me know your results.

-helf
    Found this preset by accident and really like it, reminds me of my s7e. I think it looks better and haven't had any ghosting issues but I'm sure it will vary by user. Just thought I share this but in my personal opinion this looks better.
    This setting makes the color Duller
    But ive tested with my personal setup and thé colors are super Awesome :)
    My setup values:
    Red 240
    Green 240
    Blue 240
    Minimum 35
    Saturation 55
    Value 130
    Contrast 127
    Hue 1520
    The colors are amazingly vibrent
    Be sweet if there was a way to get kcal with stock kernel. I do get the image retention on mine pretty bad sometimes

Try this out : https://forum.xda-developers.com/g4...d-configure-post-processing-settings-t3165247

I haven't yet. I am curious if it'll work.

hm. The colors in general are probably a little duller. The vibrancy and contrast and all is usually cranked up on phones Samsung is especially awful about it. People like the 'pop' though. I just compared several shades of blue and greens with the screen at max brightness using the camera app, the colors are almost dead on to my eyes. Granted i have to manually drop the ISO a couple notches because the phone wants to automatically crank it too high (like true-to-life brightness/colors around my work desk it wants to use an ISO of 600 and ISO 200 was real world accurate. heh).