• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Keep getting old texts back. It replays the conversation as if it was new texts

Search This thread
Oct 12, 2021
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I have a Google Pixel 4A 5G with CalyxOS. Also tried Graphene OS. The stock texting app in those OSes does not support group chats which I use a lot with family, so I ended up installing QKSMS as it's the only app I can find that does support group chats and that works decently.

However, randomly I will start getting old texts back, it's super annoying. It basically replays a past conversation and I just get all the same texts. At one point it got so bad I had to just switch back to my old phone because I was being bombarded with old texts. Now it happens maybe once a day, where it replays the conversation from a week ago. But it's random, sometimes it's a conversation from a day ago.

I also tried an experiment, when it started to happen I put it in airplane mode to see if it continues and it stopped, and when I took it out of airplane mode it started again. So it's like if the phone is actually queering the server to retrieve the messages again. Is there a way to make this stop? I just want to get the texts once. Or is there a way I can troubleshoot this, like some kind of logging I can check to see why it's doing this?

Also open to trying another texting app if it's related to this particular app, I just have not found any in the Fdroid store that seem to do group chats, and it's hard to test this feature without trying it and it annoys people when I do it.

Oct 12, 2021
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I tried switching to Signal (still SMS/MMS since that's what everyone I know uses) and it's still doing it. So this is not an issue with the specific texting app...

I really don't know what to do anymore, this is so annoying. I may give in and go back to stock android but I really hate all the spying crap it does.