Keep your Pixel 2 XL and don't upgrade to the Pixel 3 XL

Search This thread

jayxiao171735

May 31, 2013
Bristol
Keep my pixel3 for 2 weeks, the 4G RAM is a really annoying issue, the fix by official just change the ZRAM, seems Google can do nothing with bad RAM management as well, I download the pic which took by P3 with night mode, then compare to my P2XL's night mode, I would say they are really identical. One thing totally different is the screen, Samsung's OLED makes LG's P-OLED seems like a piece of ****. Apart from that, no other disparities.

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

I've been testing pixel 2 xl Vs Xiaomi Mi9 cameras. And guess which one I chose.

Bro, I think you can try the Gcam using on your MI9, the stock camera is really problematic.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Every time Google has a P3XL deal, I consider buying one. And each time, I talk myself into waiting for P4/XL. The P3XL simply isn't enough of an upgrade to justify getting rid of my P2XL.

Not to mention...that Gawd awful notch! ?
    Every time Google has a P3XL deal, I consider buying one. And each time, I talk myself into waiting for P4/XL. The P3XL simply isn't enough of an upgrade to justify getting rid of my P2XL.
    I upgraded my pixel 2 xl to a pixel 3 xl a few months back, hoping that the best camera on the market will get even better, but it seems that the pixel 3 doesn't bring any major improvements. Everything is almost identical, at least in daylight:
    https://youtu.be/2yQmhsPBEmE

Problem is that phones have become a commodity meanwhile, so upgrades oftenly don't make sense anymore. It's like in the PC world, where most notebooks are used until they wear out.

When I bought the original Samsung Galaxy Tab, it seemed to be too slow. With the Asus TF700, it was better, but still too slow and with barely acceptable battery runtime. The Sony Xperia Z2 tablet fixed both, this was the first device which was "good enough" with its Snapdragon 801. Still using it to this day.

The same goes for phones - upgrading from an SGS2 to an SGS4 was like day and night: Such a fast SoC (albeit still a bit too slow), such a gorgeous screen and the incredible speed of LTE!

The Pixel 2 XL also immediately got me: Such a well put together software, superb camera and finally a really good battery runtime. But when I compared rendering a web site on my old LG G5 and the new Pixel 2 XL, there was barely a difference. The reason why the Pixel performs so much better is in the software, not the hardware.

So now I have a phone with a good screen that is fast enough, a camera which is good enough even in low light and a battery runtime which never causes me trouble.

So why the hell should I upgrade now? I could be wrong and the Pixel 4 could bring something radically new or better which makes me upgrade immediately, but I really doubt it. I expect it to be a minor upgrade to the Pixel 3, like the 3 was to the 2.

Hence I plan to simply use my Pixel 2 XL until it breaks down. Why waste money for an upgrade I hardly notice?
    In my opinion the Nexus era was way better. The upgrades between generations were mostly worth the price. Even if not all of the new features were great, Nexus Devices were way more affordable. You could switch to a newer released model without paying almost 1K every time. Seems to me the Pixel Devices just can't keep up with that. I mean yeah, Camera for example got way better but I'm not seeing to much more that got noticeably better.
    Anyways, the Pixel 2 is still a good phone I love to use every day. I will keep it and see what the Pixel 4 has in store. But Google should come up with something better than last year. Besides, imho it's enough to switch phones every 2 years (or more) if not something groundbreaking gets announced.
    I upgraded my pixel 2 xl to a pixel 3 xl a few months back, hoping that the best camera on the market will get even better, but it seems that the pixel 3 doesn't bring any major improvements. Everything is almost identical, at least in daylight:
    https://youtu.be/2yQmhsPBEmE