(EOL) [Kernel][04.10.21][Q:1.6.3][R:2.6.0] JimboK - Kernel for SM-8250 (S20 and Note 20 Snapdragon)

Search This thread

jimbo77

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 2, 2010
Guatemala
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
1.7.0 is up! As mentioned in Telegram. I know several users want dc dimming / flicker free dimming added to the Kernel but let me tell you it is not an easy task :(. It will need several hours invested to port it correctly and i don't have too much spare time nowadays so this specific feature might take a long or will not ever make it to the kernel at all. I apologize but i have other priorities right now :).

Enjoy this release, and 1.8.0 will be dropped around new year's eve if everything works fine on my internal testing.

mimsiroll

Dec 14, 2011
manila
1.7.0 is up! As mentioned in Telegram. I know several users want dc dimming / flicker free dimming added to the Kernel but let me tell you it is not an easy task :(. It will need several hours invested to port it correctly and i don't have too much spare time nowadays so this specific feature might take a long or will not ever make it to the kernel at all. I apologize but i have other priorities right now :).

Enjoy this release, and 1.8.0 will be dropped around new year's eve if everything works fine on my internal testing.

take your time. all is smooth and breezy.

jimbo77

Nov 2, 2010
Guatemala
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Happy New Year everybody! May you accomplish all of your goals this year and succeed in anything you set for!

As promised, 1.8.0 is up. This is a very interesting update, i have worked both the DEVFREQ and CPU_INPUT BOOST functionalities and fine tuned them for our Device frequencies. You will notice a change in the smoothness of the system overall but i need you to be aware that battery life might be a bit compromised (nothing to be worried about) since now the device will wake up and react to inputs with higher CPU, GPU and DDR frequencies.

I hope this works as intended for everyone but please leave feedback in case anything breaks and as always, if you can... Support the efforts! :)

Happy New Year everybody! May you accomplish all of your goals this year and succeed in anything you set for!

As promised, 1.8.0 is up. This is a very interesting update, i have worked both the DEVFREQ and CPU_INPUT BOOST functionalities and fine tuned them for our Device frequencies. You will notice a change in the smoothness of the system overall but i need you to be aware that battery life might be a bit compromised (nothing to be worried about) since now the device will wake up and react to inputs with higher CPU, GPU and DDR frequencies.

I hope this works as intended for everyone but please leave feedback in case anything breaks and as always, if you can... Support the efforts! :)
Awesome work yet again, been on this update since it dropped and very impressed with smoothness, speed (apps opening and such) and battery hasn't taken a hit (on my device). Great job! Thanks for your work! Very much appreciated. 👍

jimbo77

Nov 2, 2010
Guatemala
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Awesome work yet again, been on this update since it dropped and very impressed with smoothness, speed (apps opening and such) and battery hasn't taken a hit (on my device). Great job! Thanks for your work! Very much appreciated. 👍

Thanks for the feedback! I haven't heard from anyone but on my devices it's running smooth as well! :)

oooobs007

Sep 5, 2016
Many Thanks for the Dev.
I tried both VBmeta files after the kernel and still i am stuck at the 2nd Samsung logo. Any suggestions?
S20 Fe 5G latest R

Last edited:

jimbo77

Nov 2, 2010
Guatemala
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Alright, so after a couple of days with no action over here.... JimboK-2.0.0 has been released. It's an interesting one since i am upstreaming to 4.19.169 and adding some neat features aimed for performance.

So please give it a go and as usual share your feedback when possible :)

• Love
Reactions: JDBarlow

x986123

Mar 8, 2010
San Francisco
By any chance, does this kernel have USB OTG drivers enabled for Wifi-USB add-ons? I ask because there is not Kali Nethunter development on this phone, and I remember when I tinkered with kernel compilation, that was an very useful feature to have.

Any chance you might consider adding USB OTG functionality (drivers enabled for RTL88XX, ATH9K, ATH10K, etc.)

Thank you.

jimbo77

Nov 2, 2010
Guatemala
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
By any chance, does this kernel have USB OTG drivers enabled for Wifi-USB add-ons? I ask because there is not Kali Nethunter development on this phone, and I remember when I tinkered with kernel compilation, that was an very useful feature to have.

Any chance you might consider adding USB OTG functionality (drivers enabled for RTL88XX, ATH9K, ATH10K, etc.)

Thank you.

I can take a look at it. Not full Kali Kernel but those drivers might be able to be compiled as modules

x986123

Mar 8, 2010
San Francisco
I can take a look at it. Not full Kali Kernel but those drivers might be able to be compiled as modules

Yes, that's exactly what I was referring to. I would try to compile my own kernel again but honestly your's is great and ... would save me a little time considering that I don't have the toolchain and everything required.. LOL. Need to get back into it.

v2.0 is running great on my C2Q, and honestly the gain is performance and smoothness is far superior to the little battery drain (if any). It's hard to tell at my work about battery life, I rely on WiFi calling throughout the hospital to stay connected and it's a battery killer compared to when I'm home and only connected to one of four access points. But great work Jimbo, very much appreciated!

dron39

Sep 20, 2009
Haven't found by search to keywords like selinux, permissive, enforced
Is this kernel (for Note 20 Ultra) permisive or not?

JDBarlow

Aug 27, 2010
White Oak, TX
Haven't found by search to keywords like selinux, permissive, enforced
Is this kernel (for Note 20 Ultra) permisive or not?
No it's enforcing. Mentalmuso has one that's permissive tho. It can be found on telegram
@n20snap
Screenshot_20210130-153739_Termux.jpg

jimbo77

Nov 2, 2010
Guatemala
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Thanks! I know regardin Mentalmuso's kernel. I use it. :)
But interesting to ry this one as it was updated recently (for Android 10).
@jimbo77 Is it possible to upload permissive versions too?

I am generally against permissive due to the security issues it might bring. Why do you need it to be permissive? If it's a thing most people want/need I might think of changing that

jimbo77

Nov 2, 2010
Guatemala
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Hi @jimbo77 thank you for this great kernel!

Can you add dc-dimming feature to this kernel? This feature makes the screen flicker free and improves eye comfort. It's already developed and the sourcecode is on github: https://github.com/DevriesL/Z3Q_ImageBreaker

(the sourcecode is already for s20/s20+/s20u/n20u)

I will take a look. I heard it changes the color scheme too but let me check that out, I will make a test build and see how that looks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello!

I want to introduce my first custom kernel for the SM8250 family of Snapdragons. This is based of latest Samsung OneUI 2.5 Sources and I cherry-picked commits to make improvements to the stock base. I'm not a developer, but i really like to port stuff over .

I will try to have this Kernel updated as soon as new source tarballs are drop by Samsung. If you want to request for specific features, let me know and i'll do my best to bring them over.

Special Features:

Changelog is in post #2

How to Install:

First, make sure you are in any OneUI 2.5 (BTH* or BTI*) ROM and have TWRP on the device. Make sure you take a backup of your current boot partition in twrp, now install either the boot.img (extract from the tar file) or use ODIN to flash in Dowload mode. Please make sure to read Post #3 regarding issues with the current OS Patch Level. Images from 1.5.0 onwards are pre-rooted but you will probably need to update magisk either manually or by flashing latest magisk.zip file.

Keep in mind the following table to determine your phone model:

x1q = S20 - G981X
    y2q = S20+ - G986X
    z3q = S20U - G988X
    r8q = S20 FE - G781B
    c1q = Note 20 - N981X
    c2q = Note 20U - N986X

IMPORTANT NOTE: It seems some users need to flash a vbmeta image file provided by Google in order to boot and user the Custom Kernel. If you find yourself in a situation were you are not able to boot, please flash the attached vbmeta img along with the Kernel and if still bootlooping share the last_kmsg to determine what's driving the issue.

Download:

Disclaimer: I am not responsible if you use this and brick your device or if your device blows up, implodes, flames start shooting from it or it kills your neighbor's dog. Flash at your own risk. I am not responsible.... It was the other guy... I swear....

You can use THIS link to get the latest builds. These and other downloads can also be found in the Telegram Group.

Sources for Q? https://github.com/Jimbo77/JimboK_common_sm8250
    Sources for R? https://github.com/Jimbo77/Jimbok_common_sm8250-R

Join the Telegram Group for additional discussions and downloads - HERE

Special thanks to:
    Afaneh
    Ianmcd
    0smosis
    flar2
    Lord Boeffla
    jesec
    elliwigy
    pappasmurf

For their work and dedication to development!
    1.6.0 is up. Merry Christmas everyone!

R-2.3.0 is up..! Read the changelogs and report any issues you face