Development [Kernel][06.03.2024][Android 14.0.0]Kirisakura 2.2.0_Raviantah for Pixel 6/Pro aka "RAVIOLE"

Search This thread

mrViZhy

Jul 6, 2017
Hello,
"- supports direct usb access for hi-res playback over USB-C DACs"

1. Does it possible to unlock HDMI Alt mode?
2. As i understand - miracast support depends on ROM (not kernel)?

As i know this features are locked by Google to push users to use Chromecast.

UPD: HDMI Alt mode and miracast support will be a strong reason to root my Pixel 6.

Last edited:

swieder711

My employer recently made us switch to Microsoft authenticated apps on our mobile devices. After hiding Magisk stable 24300 and denying all the Microsoft apps, I was able to run programs like Outlook and Team without root being detected. I had the initial 2.4 kernel running too.

Today, those app started to detect root and would not run. I dont know what changed to cause root to get detected.

I upgraded to Magisk Canary 24313 and can hide root from those apps again. Unfortunately, I when I tried to flash original Kiri 2.4, the Google logo just appeared and then went out.

Are there any workarounds to get this kernel running with Magisk Canary 24313? Is there a test version of the kernel that might work with Magisk Canary?

thanks,

Freak07

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
My employer recently made us switch to Microsoft authenticated apps on our mobile devices. After hiding Magisk stable 24300 and denying all the Microsoft apps, I was able to run programs like Outlook and Team without root being detected. I had the initial 2.4 kernel running too.

Today, those app started to detect root and would not run. I dont know what changed to cause root to get detected.

I upgraded to Magisk Canary 24313 and can hide root from those apps again. Unfortunately, I when I tried to flash original Kiri 2.4, the Google logo just appeared and then went out.

Are there any workarounds to get this kernel running with Magisk Canary 24313? Is there a test version of the kernel that might work with Magisk Canary?

thanks,
Try magisk stable with the kernel zip attached to this post:

If you disabled verity/verification vbmeta flags you will have no trouble using magisk canary. If your vbmeta flags are enabled canary will not work as far as I'm aware.

swieder711

Try magisk stable with the kernel zip attached to this post:

If you disabled verity/verification vbmeta flags you will have no trouble using magisk canary. If your vbmeta flags are enabled canary will not work as far as I'm aware.
If I use Magisk stable then root gets detected by the Microsoft apps.

I have Magisk Canary currently installed and have it hid and deny list is enabled. I need to research how to determine the state of the verity/verification vbmeta flags.

Are you saying that if these flags are disable then I can use Kiri 2.4 with Magisk canary?

Freak07

Jan 2, 2011
If I use Magisk stable then root gets detected by the Microsoft apps.

I have Magisk Canary currently installed and have it hid and deny list is enabled. I need to research how to determine the state of the verity/verification vbmeta flags.

Are you saying that if these flags are disable then I can use Kiri 2.4 with Magisk canary?
If you didn't disable the flags while updating each month, they are enabled.
Disabling them requires a full wipe.

Yes, canary with this kernel works fine if the flags are disabled.
Magisk changed the way verity is handled during the canaries and that's why things will change. It has nothing to do with the kernel itself.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

swieder711

If you didn't disable the flags while updating each month, they are enabled.
Disabling them requires a full wipe.

Yes, canary with this kernel works fine if the flags are disabled.
Magisk changed the way verity is handled during the canaries and that's why things will change. It has nothing to do with the kernel itself.
Thanks for the clarification. I am running Magisk Canary and can hide root from my corporate overlords. I didnt use an vbmeta flag options when I flashed the Magisk Canary via fastboot.

I am going to hold off on doing a full wipe. I did a flash-nowipe earlier today to bring my phone back to life after it got borked.

Sad to now be running a stock kernel!

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

capntrips

Aug 29, 2020
OnePlus 6T
Google Pixel 6

The issue is Magisk no longer strips the avb key from fstab entries, so if you don't have verity disabled, when the system tries to mount vendor_dlkm, it looks for the hashtree described in vbmeta, but it doesn't exist, and even if it did, it would no longer match the the descriptor.

I posted a workaround on the issue in the Magisk repo, but it currently isn't trivial to apply. Unless there's some way to modify the fstab entries from within the kernel, it seems we'll be forced to either disable verity or patch vendor_dlkm (though I suppose it could be shipped with the hashtree already appended) and vbmeta.

The upside is patching the hashtree descriptor in vbmeta does not require you to wipe your data.

Freak07

Jan 2, 2011
Thanks for the clarification. I am running Magisk Canary and can hide root from my corporate overlords. I didnt use an vbmeta flag options when I flashed the Magisk Canary via fastboot.

I am going to hold off on doing a full wipe. I did a flash-nowipe earlier today to bring my phone back to life after it got borked.

Sad to now be running a stock kernel!
You don't disable the vbmeta flags when flashing a boot.img, but when updating your phone via the factory images for example. Or just issue the command via fastboot for the current firmware you're on.

If you plan to disable the flags in the future, you have to repeat the command to disable them each time you flash a firmware package (full OTA zip or factory image) that contains a vbmeta image before you boot into the phone with the updated firmware.

I kept my flags disabled (which allows me to basically flash any source compiled image to my phone without tripping verity and relying on magisk for this in any way) since the beginning (magisk did not support this in the first few days of the pixel) and that's why I have no problem now.

swieder711

The issue is Magisk no longer strips the avb key from fstab entries, so if you don't have verity disabled, when the system tries to mount vendor_dlkm, it looks for the hashtree described in vbmeta, but it doesn't exist, and even if it did, it would no longer match the the descriptor.

I posted a workaround on the issue in the Magisk repo, but it currently isn't trivial to apply. Unless there's some way to modify the fstab entries from within the kernel, it seems we'll be forced to either disable verity or patch vendor_dlkm (though I suppose it could be shipped with the hashtree already appended) and vbmeta.

The upside is patching the hashtree descriptor in vbmeta does not require you to wipe your data.

Can I use your modified vendor_dlkm and vbmeta images for the May update to flash them to my Pixel 6 Pro?

If I understand thing correctly, this would like me Flash Kiri 2.4 without wiping my phone.

capntrips

Aug 29, 2020
OnePlus 6T
Google Pixel 6
Can I use your modified vendor_dlkm and vbmeta images for the May update to flash them to my Pixel 6 Pro?

If I understand thing correctly, this would like me Flash Kiri 2.4 without wiping my phone.
I'm on Pixel 6 (oriole, not Pro), so mine will be different from yours. I'll try to package up my workaround in the next few days to make it a bit easier to apply, assuming I can generate the hashtree on-device.

capntrips

Aug 29, 2020
OnePlus 6T
Google Pixel 6
I ported the relevant segments of avbtool and distilled the modifications to vbmeta to the bare minimum. It does not patch the authentication block or sign the image. Generating FEC codes is optional. You can find the build in the git repo:

Use vbmeta from stock and vendor_dlkm from the kernel. Both will be patched in place.

Note: This is only useful if you don't have verity disabled.

For FEC support, you can find prebuilt versions of the fec binary here. It's optional, but long term, it's probably advisable.

Here are the sha256sums for SP2A.220505.002 and Kirisakura 2.4.0, both for oriole, from the alpha02 build:

Code:
b47cf7b49c4b38374bf45ee3fb6e8fe6531ec42d9a5caf4ce7e63929a7cbc5b5  vendor_dlkm.img
2139e200534f75f2d159aeea6b74e3526a7008a57235a7d934c1bffcf74eb0c9  vbmeta.img

Last edited:

capntrips

Aug 29, 2020
OnePlus 6T
Google Pixel 6
Do I run hashtreepatcher directly on my Pixel 6 Pro or some other way?
Code:
adb push hashtreepatcher /data/local/tmp
adb push fec /data/local/tmp
adb push vendor_dlkm.img /data/local/tmp
adb push vbmeta.img /data/local/tmp
adb shell
cd /data/local/tmp
chmod +x hashtreepatcher
chmod +x fec
./hashtreepatcher vendor_dlkm.img vbmeta.img
exit
adb pull /data/local/tmp/vendor_dlkm.img vendor_dlkm-patched.img
adb pull /data/local/tmp/vbmeta.img vbmeta-patched.img

Last edited:

swieder711

Code:
adb push fec /data/local/tmp # optional
adb shell
cd /data/local/tmp
chmod +x hashtreepatcher
exit
This is super helpful.

Edit1: Once I pull the modified files then do I flash them via Fastboot?
fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta-patched.img
fastboot flash vendor_dlkm vendor_dlkm-patched.img

Edit2: Just confirming that line 2 is this for Pixel 6P
adb push fec-arm64 /data/local/tmp
Do I need to rename fec-arm64 to fec?

Edit3: Here are the results from running hashtreepatcher
$ ./hashtreepatcher2 vendor_dlkm.img vbmeta.img
- Patching complete
Hashtree descriptor:
Image Size: 44224512 bytes
Tree Offset: 44224512
Tree Size: 352256 bytes
Data Block Size: 4096 bytes
Hash Block Size: 4096 bytes
FEC num roots: 0
FEC offset: 0
FEC size: 0 bytes
Hash Algorithm: sha256
Partition Name: vendor_dlkm
Salt: dcfdb868e3aef90f102187d66b9cd2c71589a8b0f0035387940a2ca364d8cd05
Root Digest: 6dd4ee4ec76f02c778d56c5d43a08cdb8fb20f8db3b0ee3d04bf1728c6627b06
Flags: 0

Thanks for holding my hand through this. I am ready to flash the patched files and then try to Flash Kiri 2.4 kernel. Should the phone be in fastboot or fastbootd mode?

Last edited:

noidea24

i followed al
Code:
adb push fec /data/local/tmp # optional
adb shell
cd /data/local/tmp
chmod +x hashtreepatcher
exit
been trying to get this thing to boot for three days, i finally got the device to boot with these instructions but without touchscreen response :(.

all these commands completed successfully.
flashed the pulled patched images in fastbootd.
reboot to bootloader and flashed the kernel.

IT ACTUALLY BOOTED. this is the first time ive been able to boot.
went to unlock the phone, touchscreen is unresponsive. phone isnt frozen, it just doesnt respond to touch.

capntrips

Aug 29, 2020
OnePlus 6T
Google Pixel 6
Once I pull the modified files then do I flash them via Fastboot?
Code:
fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta-patched.img
fastboot flash vendor_dlkm vendor_dlkm-patched.img

Yes, though you will need to reboot into fastbootd for vendor_dlkm:

Code:
fastboot reboot fastboot

Just confirming that line 2 is this for Pixel 6P
Code:
adb push fec-arm64 /data/local/tmp
Do I need to rename fec-arm64 to fec?

Yes, the file must be called fec and it must be in your working directory when you call hashtreepatcher. You can tell if it worked if the output doesn't have all zeroes for the FEC fields.

Note: If you patch vendor_dlkm a second time, be sure to push a fresh copy, as hashtreepatcher will happy keep appending more and more hashtree footers to the file. I have no idea if that affects anything, but it will at least keep getting needlessly larger.

Should the phone be in fastboot or fastbootd mode?

fastbootd only for vendor_dlkm.

been trying to get this thing to boot for three days, i finally got the device to boot with these instructions but without touchscreen response :(.

went to unlock the phone, touchscreen is unresponsive. phone isnt frozen, it just doesnt respond to touch.

Sounds like your vendor_dlkm didn't flash properly. Be sure to install it from fastbootd (which I see you did), or just update the zip with the patched one and let some kernel manager flash it.

What version of Magisk are you using? Do you have verity disabled?

Last edited:

noidea24

Sorry about the post, chromium acting funny.

My problem might be that I didn't have fec in the Tmp directory when running hashtreepatcher.

But as soon as the fec file is present, hashtreepatcher fails out and I get a "unable to open vendor_dlkm.img"

I thought it was a bad download or I had the wrong fec, so I tried the standard (non64) and it's the same error.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update to Raviantha 2.2.0

Hey guys and girls,

So there´s one month with a QPR bump, where I´m not at home with no real access to internet or time to check the kernel at all and what happens... all hell breaks loose. :)
    This month served as a good example why it´s not a good idea to flash kernels made for different firmware on a new firmware.
    Rule of thumb: From stable to beta is not a good idea. (qpr ) If one month is a QPR release. From stable to dev preview etc.

Anyway here´s the next update. It includes the updates for Android 14 QPR2 March update! Make sure to update to March stable firmware before flashing!
    I´ll keep this post and the changelog short because I don´t have much time.

Important:

Please note that this release is not for the QPR Beta firmware or dev preview, but the stable android 14 firmware!
    Please make use magisk stable if you don´t know your way around bugs and don´t want to actively help debugging magisk development.
    You should download magisk stable only from official magisk release site!

There are other small improvements as well. Please check my github for those.

I wish everyone a nice day.

Changelog:

- Update source to Android 14 QPR2 March
    - linux stable to 5.10.209
    - compiled with latest aosp clang 18
    - more changes please look at my github

Download:

attached to this post

Make sure to keep the ak3 helper module installed in Magisk Manager and do not delete it!

If you´re coming from another kernel restore stock boot.img, dtbo.img, vendor_boot.img and vendor_dlkm.img before flashing. Thank you.

Make sure to meet the requirements and read the OP as well as the FAQ before flashing.

I wish everybody a great day/evening!
    Have fun, enjoy the kernel and your phone.

If you like my work please consider a donation.
    Donations are not mandatory but very welcome.
    If you like my work and want to buy me a coffee/green tea: http://paypal.me/freak07
    Bootlooped on March OTA for me
    So do you believe Magisk will work on the March update on P6 Pro? I got into a bootloop but maybe I made a mistake like using the older boot.img file. Looking for some reason it did not work for me.

Thanks,
    Mark
    no problems on my end using magisk 27001 and 2.2.0 on march stable firmware.
    was likely due to something else.
    Yeah, working great on March update and Magisk 27.0 here. Best got dang custom kernel for the P6P out there!
    Can't wait for Kiri March update 🥰

(Which will hopefully happen)
    Kirisakura-Kernel for the Pixel 6/Pro

Hello everyone,

To keep it short: Here is Kirisakura - Kernel for the Google Pixel 6 Pro aka Raven and the Pixel 6 aka Oriole, together Raviole.
    I would appreciate if everybody that flashes the kernel, reads at least once through this opening post and the following ones.

The kernel aims to keep most of the subsystems updated, way ahead of the stock kernel, thereby improving security, stability and performance!
    This includes Linux-Stable, F2FS-Stable and kernel/common!
    If that got you curious, have a read about linux-stable and why it is important here. The stable-process is not the same for every subsystem, but the general idea, rule of thumb and benefits are applicable for other subsystems as well.

The kernel includes a lot of improvements and contributions from other developers as well. Without this kernel would not exist.
    A big part of improvements originate from @arter97´s, @kdrag0n´s and @Sultanxda´s work. Many others contributed in some way or another to this kernel.
    A big thanks to all of them at this place!

Now lets continue with a list of features in the next paragraph!

Features:
    Main Features:
    - Based on latest A14 kernel sources from Google, Kernel is made for stable Android 14
    - Linux-Stable-Upstream included to 5.10.209
    - Compiled with prebuilt Google clang 18.0.0
    - EEVDF scheduler patches
    - lockless slab shrinker
    - Backport entire RCU subsystem to Linux 6.0
    - Lazy RCU which should result in power-savings while the device is lightly-loaded or idling, more information here
    - Backport Maple tree from Linux 6.1
    - improve preallocations from maple tree (affects especially android)
    - reduce necessity to rewalk the maple tree
    - Per VMA-locks in conjunction with Maple Tree RCU-Mode (improve app launch time, this feature in general benefits greatly from lazy rcu!)
    - further improve maple tree/per-vma locks introduced in an earlier release
    - make TEO-Cpuidle util-aware (improves latency, performance and decreases energy consumption for certain workloads, more information here)
    - introduce runnable boosting, wire it up with pixel_sched
    - FHD Support for Pixel 6 Pro (display is able to run at 1080p), more info here and here
    - merged kernel/common (improvements to android-common-kernel straight from google)
    - MM subsystem reworked (more info and some patchsets linked in this post)
    - Multi-gen LRU backported/reworked and enabled (more info here, here as well and here) to improve mm and reduce cpu cycles, latest V15 state (currently disabled as Google remotely disables the prop)
    - improvements to uclamp, prevent capacity inversion (reduce missed frames)
    - greatly speed up camera launch time!
    - Utilize an additional kswapd thread to increase throughput for memory reclaim
    - pelt multiplier tied into powerhal to speed up scheduler during interaction (more info here)
    - prevent frequency spikes caused by small transient tasks when the device is idle(more info here)
    - tie mechanism to prevent frequency spikes caused by small tasks also into powerhal
    - scheduler improvements for RT (realtime) tasks
    - introduce and setup PMU limiter (prevents CPU from spiking to max when it isn´t needed, based on PMU reads, more information here)
    - improve camera performance by tuning the powerhal during recording
    - bias tasks of rt, sf and ta groups to prefer high capacity cpus during app launches, interactions
    - improve app launches via powerhal
    - improve trusty driver performance which connects to fingerprintscanner-hal by using high perf wq during fp unlock
    - restrict maximum CPU-Freqs during screen off/ idle to 1.1GHZ for all clusters to save power
    - introduce unfair f2fs rwsems to prevent writer starvation and improve IO perf under heavy load
    - fuse: give wakeup hints to scheduler to speed up compress/decompress in internal storage (details)
    - enable RCU_BOOST (details here), also fix RCU_BOOST behaviour
    - F2FS-Stable updated
    - merge and enable f2fs block_age-based extent cache (improve the accuracy for data temperature classification, reduce the garbage collection overhead after long-term data updates)
    - TCP backports from mainline
    - SSG IO scheduler for reduced overhead and less CPU cycles (more lightweight and android optimized)
    - Scheduler updates from linux-main
    - use improved energy model for exynos cpu cooling/thermal control
    - allow GPU to scale down to 150mhz, but boost to higher value in case of interaction via powerhal
    - affine IRQS to CPU 7 during camera usage for improved performance as it tends to overload the little cores
    - use bbr as default TCP congestion algorithm (fasted algo according to this excellent research from @kdrag0n found here )
    - include bbrv2 from google, more info here
    - Enable support for TTL spoofing
    - Include LRNG, see here and here for more info, bump to v45 with 3.0.0
    - important patches from kernel/common for 5.10 (here are more details)
    - CleanSlate Features from @tbalden, big applause here! (s2s, notification booster, battery saver, flashlight notifications. Please note: cleanslate features that work otherwise with rooted devices like kadaway (adblocking) are not implemented on this kernel since I´m running rooted)
    - dirty pipe exploit fixed
    - supports direct usb access for hi-res playback over USB-C DACs
    - improve ZRAM usage
    - reduce overhead
    - improve performance and efficiency by properly wiring up pixel_sched with teo util awareness (thanks @ada12 for spotting this!)
    - update to cpuset/cgroup subsystem (speeds up camera launches, device unlocks etc as cpusets are switched on those conditions, patches reduce overhead in those conditions)
    - flashing the kernel will preserve root

Various Optimizations:
    - update several drivers to use power efficient workingqueues (for example wlan driver)
    - kernfs: use buffer from the stack space
    - printk: use buffer from the stack space
    - kthread: use buffer from the stack space
    - bpf: avoid dynamic memory allocation for small value buffers
    - binder: Reserve caches for small, high-frequency memory allocations
    - kernfs: use kmem_cache pool for struct kernfs_open_node/file
    - cgroup: use kmem_cache pool for struct cgrp_cset_link
    - f2fs: reduce timeout for uncongestion
    - f2fs: Demote GC thread to idle scheduler class
    - f2fs: set ioprio of GC kthread to idle
    - mm: vmstat: use power efficient workingqueues
    Wakelock Blocker:
    - advanced wakelock blocker with the ability to block any wakelocks (dangerous, use with caution)
    - please read [URL="https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/08/p-is-for-power-how-google-tests-tracks-and-improves-android-battery-life/"]this for further info

AK3 Helper Module:
    - restrict little cluster to 1,19ghz mid cluster to 1,19ghz and big cluster to 1,1ghz during screen off, to reduce battery usage for example during music playback
    - only use little cores during screen off/device suspend
    - tie pelt multiplier into the powerhal (more info here)
    - prevent frequency spikes caused by small transient tasks during idle operation (more info here)
    - boost scheduler using the pelt multiplier during fingerprint unlock operation
    - setup and control PMU limiter via powerhal (more info here)
    - dynamically adjust target load for memory interface during interaction
    - boost memory interface controller during interaction (decreased missed frames, improved soc efficiency according to google docs)

DOWNLOAD:
    Download is always located in this folder:
    4.2.0, 4.3.0, 4.4.0, 4.4.1, 4.4.2 are attached to the release posts linked below as AFH is wonky at the moment.

Changelog:
    Android 12.0.0

1.0.0 Initial Release
    1.0.2 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-07-1...r-pixel-6-pro-aka-raven.4358435/post-85910621
    1.0.5 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-08-1...r-pixel-6-pro-aka-raven.4358435/post-85924419
    1.3.0 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-11-1...pixel-6-pro-aka-raviole.4358435/post-85976139
    1.4.0 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-15-1...pixel-6-pro-aka-raviole.4358435/post-86109665
    1.5.0 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-16-1...pixel-6-pro-aka-raviole.4358435/post-86259863
    1.7.0 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-15-0...pixel-6-pro-aka-raviole.4358435/post-86390563
    1.8.4 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-08-0...pixel-6-pro-aka-raviole.4358435/post-86541727

Android 12.1.0 Stable (March feature drop and more recent)
    2.0.0 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-08-0...pixel-6-pro-aka-raviole.4358435/post-86617873
    2.0.1 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-22-0...pixel-6-pro-aka-raviole.4358435/post-86637233
    2.1.0 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-25-0...pixel-6-pro-aka-raviole.4358435/post-86695911
    2.3.0 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-28-0...pixel-6-pro-aka-raviole.4358435/post-86821331
    2.4.0 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-30-0...pixel-6-pro-aka-raviole.4358435/post-86834981

Android 12.1.0 Stable (June feature drop and more recent)
    3.0.0 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-03-0...pixel-6-pro-aka-raviole.4358435/post-86992705
    3.0.1 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-07-0...pixel-6-pro-aka-raviole.4358435/post-86996237
    3.0.17 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-08-0...pixel-6-pro-aka-raviole.4358435/post-87127695

Android 13.0.0 Stable (not QPR beta!)
    4.1.0 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-09-0...pixel-6-pro-aka-raviole.4358435/post-87290247
    4.1.6 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-16-0...pixel-6-pro-aka-raviole.4358435/post-87399635
    4.2.0 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-06-0...pixel-6-pro-aka-raviole.4358435/post-87524609
    4.3.0 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-04-1...pixel-6-pro-aka-raviole.4358435/post-87697425
    4.4.0 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-08-1...pixel-6-pro-aka-raviole.4358435/post-87823333
    4.4.1 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-06-1...pixel-6-pro-aka-raviole.4358435/post-87944879
    4.4.2 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-04-0...pixel-6-pro-aka-raviole.4358435/post-88118201
    Raviantha 1.0.0 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-09-0...pixel-6-pro-aka-raviole.4358435/post-88316223
    Raviantah 1.0.2 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-21-0...pixel-6-pro-aka-raviole.4358435/post-88399941
    Raviantah 1.1.0 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-11-0...pixel-6-pro-aka-raviole.4358435/post-88645115
    Raviantah 1.1.2 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-14-0...pixel-6-pro-aka-raviole.4358435/post-88719665
    Raviantah 1.1.3 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-06-0...pixel-6-pro-aka-raviole.4358435/post-88847787
    Raviantah 1.1.5 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-08-0...pixel-6-pro-aka-raviole.4358435/post-89041877

Android 14.0.0 Stable (NOT QPR BETA)

Raviantah 2.0.0 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-24-0...pixel-6-pro-aka-raviole.4358435/post-89087375
    Raviantah 2.0.2 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-07-1...pixel-6-pro-aka-raviole.4358435/post-89149241
    Raviantah 2.1.0 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-08-1...pixel-6-pro-aka-raviole.4358435/post-89205122
    Raviantah 2.2.0 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-07-1...pixel-6-pro-aka-raviole.4358435/post-89384479

Android 12L QPR Beta - Deprecated

Requirements

- the kernel is made for the stock firmware provided by Google, pay attention to flash a kernel release matching the firmware (flashing on custom roms might work, but you may need workarounds!)
    - unlocked Bootloader
    - USB-Debugging in developer options enabled
    - latest adb and fastboot binaries
    - working adb and fastboot environment so you can flash back to stock in case something goes wrong
    - working magisk environment (a device rooted with latest magisk stable in case you want to be absolutely safe)
    - IMPORTANT: Unrelated to the kernel, but update both slots of your phone to A13! (take a look here)

How to flash the Kernel:
    1a. Make sure you tick all the requirements above
    1. Download the correct kernel.zip depending on your device (Pixel 6 = oriole || Pixel 6 Pro = raven)
    2. Flash the correct kernel.zip via EXKM, FKM or kernel flasher. Root will be preserved. The AK3 magisk helper module will be automatically installed during flashing the kernel.zip and be present on next reboot.
    Do not remove or disable the AK3 Magisk Helper Module otherwise the device will bootloop.
    3. Reboot and profit.

Manual installation is no longer supported starting with release 3.0.0, as there´s a free open-source option to flash kernel.zips now.
    Instead use the free kernel flasher, which can be found here.

Manual installation without relying on paid apps like fkm/exkm:
    Please have a look at the linked post.

Donations:
    Donations are not mandatory but very welcome if you want to support development or just buy me a coffee/tea/beer :)
    If you like my work: http://paypal.me/freak07

Credits:
    @osm0sis for all his work on AK3.
    @tbalden for being the best HTC, Pixel, OnePlus and Asus wingman!
    @capntrips for all his work on the pixel 6!
    @LeeDroid and @mwilky for their awesome roms and work I used on multiple devices!
    @Captain_Throwback for all the mentoring and guidance!
    @Eliminater74 for bringing me into the game and the Inspiration
    @nathanchance for his upstream guidance and assistance
    @RenderBroken for helping me out
    @flar2 for all his work
    @joshuous for all the help he provided to me in the past!
    @arter97 for giving me advice
    @kdrag0n for his help and advices!
    @topjohnwu for magisk and his entire work!

Source Code: https://github.com/freak07
    Update to 4.1.0

Hey guys and girls,

I hope everyone started into a good week. Here´s the next release. It´s for stable Android 13.
    Thanks to Google releasing the kernel source for the previews and the betas I´m able to push this update out very quickly. As in the past, the code didn´t change between last beta and stable release.

There are again a lot of changes in this release. I´ll try to keep the release post short as I don´t have that much time lately.

FHD/1080P Support for Pixel 6 Pro

The biggest change is FHD support for the Pixel 6 Pro. If you follow twitter you might have seen this tweet from @MishaalRahman.
    Instead of using the display driver that´s supposedly for the Pixel 7 Pro, FHD support was added to the Pixel 6 Pro display driver. There were a few obstacles to make it run properly on the Pixel 6 Pro, but I got it working nicely so far. If anyone has more experience than me regarding panel timings, display drivers etc, feel free to push any improvement as a pull request to my github or point me towards any improvement.

As a result you can now select 1080p resolution from settings after flashing the kernel. Dynamic refresh rate works, brightness scaling works, no tints, colour shifts or contrast issues either. AOD has a 1080p Low-Power timing as well.

You´ll find a few more infos with a short video on my tweet here:
    Screenshot_20220816-083147.png
    Screenshot_20220816-083204.png

It´s perfectly usable on a daily basis so far. I ran it for a few days without issues on my end. While the advantage might be debatable (saving battery, less load on GPU, still needing to drive the same amount of pixels in the end even on lower resolution, etc etc) having options is nice and this is why I decided to ship it.

Apps need to redraw after switching resolution, sometimes 1080p on big display size selected in settings the UI looks a bit sketchy. So I think Google is still working on that.

There´s however one bug I found so far that makes me believe this is still very much a WIP from google. If having the "show current refresh rate" option from dev settings enabled while switching resolutions, the display will black out and a restart needs to be forced by keeping the power button pressed or using adb interface to restart the phone. This is not due to the kernel, but display settings in framework getting scrambled as it´s not yet implemented 100% on googles end. So be warned. :)

MM Subsystem Rework

MM subsystem was completely reworked including many improvements from linux-mainline. During this MGLRU was also reworked a bit and works better now. I´ll include links to a few of the improvements/patchsets in hide-tags below, if you´re interested beyond that please check out my github.
    links:

Additionally tie in a few of the MM changes into the powerhal. For example Proactive compaction is more aggressive during screen-off/device suspended operations to improve long term-performance.

Other changes:

Also tune the powerhal and implement all A13 changes, according to the changes that were already present on A12.

Latest changes from f2fs-stable are included, which include several bugfixes and small improvements.
    Binder improvments/fixes, scheduler improvements from kernel/common, performance for exfat formatted storage device improved (niche use case, but still nice) and other little improvements.
    For other changes and details please take a look at github.

If you´re one of the unfortunate ones that suffer from the device is corrupt bug on pixel 6 series please take a look at the FAQ at the beginning of this thread it contains a solution. The issue is probably caused by a bug that affects pixel 6 devices and has nothing to do with magisk or a kernel, it just happens to get triggered when using any of those.

Changelog:

- Rebase kernel fully on A13 trees
    - Linux-Stable bumped to 5.10.136
    - FHD/1080p support for Pixel 6 Pro
    - all previous features and improvements kept intact
    - bump f2fs-stable to latest available
    - rework mm subsystem (check git for more details)
    - scheduler improvements
    - binder improvements from kernel/common
    - improve exfat performance (if someones uses exfat formatted devices)
    - loads of other changes from kernel/common
    - update powerhal to account for a13 changes and port existing changes over
    - loads of other changes, please check github

Download:

If you´re coming from another kernel restore stock boot.img, dtbo.img, vendor_boot.img and vendor_dlkm.img before flashing. Thank you.

If you like my work and want to buy me a coffee/green tea: http://paypal.me/freak07
    Update to 4.2.0

Hey guys and girls,

I hope everyone started well in the new week. Here´s the next release and it´s a rather big one with lots of under the hood improvements.
    We already had all the changes in from the October security patch release released, due to merging linux-stable stable and kernel/common in advance.
    The kernel is now at 5.10.146 way ahead of the stock kernel. To further emphasize the importance of this. About 90% of kernel security issues are solved in linux stable. While I didn´t check the actual number myself, I´d have estimated about the same (80-90%) before actually reading the slides from @arter97 presentation.
    What also needs to be kept in mind is that a big part of those security issues are resolved in linux-stable sometimes months ago before those patches end up in a monthly security patch. Additionally to that the security patches are about 3 months behind the discovery of those vulnerabilities.

Amongst linux-stable upstream there are a few other not minor updates in this kernel.

Clang
    The kernel is now compiled with the latest prebuilt Clang from Google. This was quite a journey as this is a pretty big update to clang. This is quite experimental to be on googles side of a "bleeding" edge compiler, but after fixing several issues that originated from the new compiler it ran stable for over 2 weeks.

There´s a potential for CFI failures that originates from that new Clang rather than a "real attack", due to the changes in clang.
    Short reminder what CFI actually does: Control flow integrity (CFI) is a security mechanism that disallows changes to the original control flow graph of a compiled binary, making it significantly harder to perform such attacks.
    A typical crash (that´s not wanted and originates from compiler changes rather than an actual attack, which is already resolved of course ) would look like the following: Open camera app, due to compiler changes CFI is accidentally tripped every time this code is executed.
    I think we catched all of these newly CFI failures and everything is nice and stable. In case you discover such a behaviour please send me the contents of sys/fs/pstore, once the phone booted back up.

There´s always the possibility of a "real" attack in which CFI will crash the phone, before the attacker can compromise the phone. That´s why keeping subsystems updated is important.

Powerhal
    The powerhal was retuned due to changes to the scheduler introduced. It should work even better now, regarding efficiency and performance. Of course I try to tune it also to my personal needs, while trying to keep it working for all workloads. The changes are not drastic, so please don´t post after several hours you see drastic differences.

Other improvements
    Several other improvements from kernel/common (for higher branches than 5.10) and linux-main were backported to this branch so we can benefit from those improvements. For details please check my git.

I´d like to write all of this with more detail, but at the moment I lack the time to do so.

Kernel is compiled for stable A13, not A13 QPR Beta!

If you´re one of the unfortunate ones that suffer from the device is corrupt bug on pixel 6 series please take a look at the FAQ at the beginning of this thread it contains a solution. The issue is probably caused by a bug that affects pixel 6 devices and has nothing to do with magisk or a kernel, it just happens to get triggered when using any of those.

Changelog:

- Linux-Stable bumped to 5.10.146
    - kernel is compiled with latest prebuilt google clang 15.0.2
    - improvements from linux-mainline
    • locking subsystem
    • memory management
    • more details please check github
    - patches to f2fs
    - updates from kernel/common to several subsystems
    - tweak powerhal for improved performance/efficiency

Download:
    Attached to release post as AFH is currently down.
    I´ll push to AFH once it´s back up.

Update to 1.8.4

Hey guys and girls,

So here´s the next update. It´s kind of an off schedule update, as I planned to update the kernel with the next security update/feature drop.

But in the light of recent events regarding the new exploit called "Dirty Pipe" (more info here), which is similar to the "Dirty Cow" exploit from a while ago, but easier to exploit this time, I decided to release an update ahead of schedule.

This exploit was fixed in linux-stable 5.10.102, as opposed to a single commit in AKC (android kernel common, commit here). This shows once more why merging linux-stable is beneficial as explained in detail in the OP.

Since one of the key aspects of this kernel is security and staying on par with upstream (which often fixes exploits way ahead of android security bulletin updates, even before an exploit is even known or fixed via a patch on the security bulletin) I decided to release this update as quickly as possible, so this exploit is fixed on devices running this kernel.

Several other notable improvements and changes in this release:
    Bring in scheduler updates from Android 13 Developer Preview, which aim at improving task placement. (adjust powerhal accordingly)
    BFQ IO-Sched is now on par with linux-mainline.
    Several fixes to mm subsystem, f2fs and others.

Several other improvements are included as well. More details in the changelog.
    Download is below.
    Updated instructions in the OP!

Changelog:
    - linux-stable 5.10.103
    - contains fix for the dirty pipe exploit
    - built with clang 14.0.2 prebuilt by google
    - improvments from kernel/common
    - fix memory leaks
    - security related patches
    - mm improvments
    - f2fs fixes
    - scheduler fixes
    - for details please check github
    - built with improvements from A13 Dev Preview to display driver
    - other changes please look at my github

Download:

Instructions can be found in the OP! Please follow the instructions to avoid any issues.
    Update to 1.7.0

Hey guys and girls,

So here´s the next update. It includes the february security update. Most of the changes brought by the February kernel source drop, were already included in this kernel by merging kernel/common and linux-stable.

Several other notable improvements and changes in this release:
    Improve f2fs performance by merging a patchset to prevent writer starvation for the checkpoint thread. This was discussed this month in the f2fs mailing list and is already merged to the kernel/common tree. It´ll improve performance under heavy I/O utilization.
    You can find more information following the discussion here.
    Necessary backports were brought to the kernel and the platform specific f2fs-implementation was also adjusted.
    Latest f2fs-stable was also merged to the kernel.

Update the patchset to prevent frequency spikes caused by small tasks as well. Tie those new changes into the powerhal. (That means users not flashing the kernel.zip, but instead use the manual installation method, which are only a handful from the download count, need to flash the updated magisk helper module. Users that flash the kernel.zip via FKM/EXKM have to just flash and forget)

Several other improvements are included as well. More details in the changelog.
    Download is below.
    Updated instructions in the OP!

Changelog:
    - February Security update merged
    - linux-stable 5.10.96
    - include latest f2fs-stable
    - improvments from kernel/common
    - fix memory leaks
    - security related patches
    - mm improvments
    - for details please check github
    - introduce unfair f2fs rwsems to prevent writer starvation and improve IO perf
    - update patchset to prevent freq spikes caused by small transient tasks (also tie this into powerhal)
    - give pelt multiplier power hint for scheduler performance boost during fingerprint unlock
    - fuse: give wakeup hints to scheduler to speed up compress/decompress in internal storage (details)
    - enable RCU_BOOST (details here), also fix RCU_BOOST behaviour
    - update LRNG implementation (thanks to arter97 )
    - improvements/fixes for CleanSlate features
    - other changes please look at my github

Download:

Instructions can be found in the OP! Please follow the instructions to avoid any issues.