• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[Kernel][03 Nov]Redux Kernel 0.8[Sense3.6 & 4]

What do you look for most in a governor?

• Speed. Even at the cost of battery life.

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • Battery life, even if the phone lags slightly.

Votes: 20 8.9%
  • Balance, not blazing fast. Reasonable battery.

Votes: 138 61.6%
  • Screen off, phone idle battery life.

Votes: 27 12.1%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Nonverbose

Sep 18, 2011
Adelaide
This is based on l0st.prophet's kernel with added support for Nik's projectX and Virtuous Infinity Sense 4 Roms.

Features:

It's still very much in development and Sense4 versions are not in universal flash as they includes rmdisk changes,
firmware and an init.d script that Rom devs need to add to their releases first.

Test it, try it, rip it apart, fix it, break it, delete it. Pretty much do whatever you like with it.
Tell me what you think and report any issues with as much information as possible.

Includes 15 governors:

• Brazilianwax
  • Conservative
  • Intellidemand
  • Interactive
  • InteractiveX
  • Lagfree
  • Lazy
  • Lionheart
  • Lulzactive
  • Ondemand (Default)
  • OndemandX
  • Performance
  • SavagedZen
  • Scary
  • SmartassV2

And all the usual goodies.

6 Schedulers:

• bfq
  • cfq
  • deadline
  • noop
  • sio (Default)
  • vr

Overclocking, undervolting, sweep2wake, 2wcr.

Install Instructions:

S-off Users:

Those updating from previous versions of my kernel only need to flash the corresponding zip file.

Sense 3.6 (Miui) users only need to flash their desired kernel version (wipe cache and dalvik is also recommended)

[highlight]Sense 4 users who wish to change from another kernel must first install a previous version then the latest.[/highlight]

e.g.

You want to install the latest version of Redux Kernel on Sabsa Prime, replacing stock/another kernel:

Flash Redux_0.8_Sabsa.zip first, then latest Redux Kernel version, wipe cache/dalvik and reboot.

You want to install the latest version of Redux Kernel on Nik's ProjectX, replacing stock/another kernel:

Flash Redux_0.3_ProjectX.zip first, then latest Redux Kernel version, wipe cache/dalvik and reboot.

You want to install the latest version of Redux Kernel on Virtuous Infinity, replacing stock/another kernel:

Flash Redux_0.3_Virt_Infinity.zip first, then latest Redux Kernel version, wipe cache/dalvik and reboot.

S-on users:

See this thread.
Changelog:

Code:
[b]0.8[/b]
[list][*]Patched to 3.0.50
[*]Updated boot.img for Sabsa Prime*
[*]Re-enabled lower frequencies**
[*]Disabled cleancache and gentle fair sleepers
[*]Various fixes to touchscreen and s2w
[*]bcmdhd(Sense4 wifi) driver from OneV source***
[*]Tweaked bcmdhd to allow low wifi signals to be seen
[*]further decreased vfs_cache_pressure to 10
[*]Tweaked SIO and Deadline scedulers
[*]tun.ko now built in
[*]Various other tweaks
[/list]

[b]0.7[/b]
[list][*]Patched kernel to 3.0.46
[*]2WCR can now also use WAV encoding
[*]Tweaked CPU frequency selection
[*]Tweaked WiFi voltage
[*]Reverted CPU voltages to stock[/list]

[b]0.6[/b]
[list][*]Tuned governors
[*]Disabled swappiness
[*]Reverted 2WCR to stock
[*]Reduced sysctl_vfs_cache_pressure
[*]Optimized filesystem
[*]Reduced vm_dirty_ratio
[/list]

[b]0.5[/b]
[list][*]Reverted frequency table to stock for undervolting
[*]Slight increase to GPU RAM allocation
[*]Activated on-chip floating point unit
[*]Enabled Stochastic Fair Blue network scheduler
[*]Enabled Autogroup scheduling feature
[*]Changed default IO Scheduler to SIO[/list]

[b]0.4.1[/b]
[list][*]Fixed issue apps not installing[/list]

[b]0.4[/b]
[list]
[*]Enabled Cleancache support
[*]Enabled Tiny Preempt RCU
[*]Reduced WiFi and SD slot voltage
[*]Disabled some debugging options
[*]Added support for CPU Unaligned Access
[*]Tweaked frequency and voltage table
[*]Conservative back to default
[/list]

[B]0.3[/B]
[list]
[*]Added functioning kernel support for 2WCR (AMR Codec)
[*]Increased VM_MAX_READAHEAD to 4096kB
[*]Updated jhash to v3
[/list]

[B]0.2:[/B]
[list]
[*]Adjusted frequencies and voltages (see second post)
[*]Added SLQB slab memory allocator
[*]Added Brazilianwax OndemandX and InteractiveX governors
[*]Disabled Powersave governor (useless)
[*]Patched kernel to 3.0.43
[/list]

[B]0.1beta:[/B]
[LIST]
[*]Enabled powersave governor
[*]Wifi tethering fix
[*]CIFS, TUN, NTFS changed to seperate loadable modules
[/LIST]

*The Sabsa Prime Installer might work for other Roms (ProjectX) but at this point are untested. If you find it's working, let me know!!

**Lower frequencies are experimental and may cause issues (CPU sticking on min frequency) on some governors (interactive based) Do not lower frequency beyond the default if you do not know what you are doing.

***The new wifi drivers are a work in progress and you may notice issues on starting up wifi tethering. Current know workaround is to switch off security temporarily, switch tethering on and off and re-enable security. If someone finds a better workaround let me know. The tradeoff is a much more stable and faster connection from my testing. If this inconveniences you too much, just move to a previous version.

My github

Credits:

l0st.prophet for his amazing work on his kernel for our device so far
amidabuddha for help getting this working for our device
m0narx WiFi tethering fix
showp1984 updated broadcom source
MikeC84
oliverclaude

Last edited:

Nonverbose

Sep 18, 2011
Adelaide
Code:
[B][U]Frequency and Voltage table[/U][/B]

To be updated at a later date

The minimum possible voltage has been dropped to 500mV and the minimum frequency has been dropped to 61MHz for testing purposes. They could cause unpredictable issues with your phone, so if you're not sure what you are doing, it's best to at least leave the voltages alone and only reduce the frequency to 245MHz, possibly 184. If youre comfortable testing these settings feel free to do so and report your findings. I'm using IncrediControl to adjust frequency, governor, scheduler and voltages. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.incredicontrol

Last edited:

nikhil007mmus

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 26, 2011
Pune
Beautiful sadly I don't have my phone yet.. but WiFi tethering fix sounds great please someone try on the project x and report :)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Nonverbose

Sep 18, 2011
Adelaide
Good to see you did it!
Now ask someone to give you Virtuous boot img and pack it the same way ;)

Sent from my HTC Desire S

Lol, sounds too much like work. I gave up on doing it all through init.d scripts when I couldn't find a way to start services. I don't think it's possible unfortunately. Thanks for your help btw.

amidabuddha

Jun 26, 2011
Lol, sounds too much like work. I gave up on doing it all through init.d scripts when I couldn't find a way to start services. I don't think it's possible unfortunately. Thanks for your help btw.

Of course it is possible :) If you check my thread you will see that I support all ICS Sense (3.6/4A/4) and even MIUI goth 4 flashable zips where the only difference is in the ramdisk and you know what exactly it is ;)

Reactions: Nonverbose

Lasantha

Jun 27, 2011
Tests

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1348303307207.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1348303307207.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 2,445
  • uploadfromtaptalk1348303332998.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1348303332998.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 2,310

Nonverbose

Sep 18, 2011
Adelaide
Of course it is possible :) If you check my thread you will see that I support all ICS Sense (3.6/4A/4) and even MIUI goth 4 flashable zips where the only difference is in the ramdisk and you know what exactly it is ;)

Congrats on your 1000th thanks. What I mean by It's not possible, is starting the ramdisk init services using init.d scripts. So creating a zImage universal flash at this stage is off the table and each sense 4 Rom needs it's own seperately created boot.img to implementthe fixes. But you're right about it being possible to have the kernel running on all the sense based roms of course. I have already studied your downloads :)

I have got a lot of work to do before "my" kernel has the same/similar amount of features that yours does.

poondog

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 11, 2011
Melbourne
Nice work nonverbose :) Seems like more people are stepping up lately, which is nice too see
One question, does this include a 122MHz step? I like it for some reason, and l0st.prophet's didn't have it
Thanks mate

Nonverbose

Sep 18, 2011
Adelaide
Nice work nonverbose :) Seems like more people are stepping up lately, which is nice too see
One question, does this include a 122MHz step? I like it for some reason, and l0st.prophet's didn't have it
Thanks mate

I'm actually testing a 61MHz step right now and also added more frequencies and underclocked stock voltages slightly. Looking very promising. Also planning to drop minimum voltages.

Sweet, thanks

If you can, it'd be great to see a fix for reboots when switching cell tower during a phone call
And I'd also like to see the inclusion of BadAss governor

I'll try to reproduce the error, but if you could provide a logcat it could be helpful. I can't promise too much but will try research the issue. I'm planning to add more governors soon so stay tuned :)

poondog

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 11, 2011
Melbourne
I'm actually testing a 61MHz step right now and also added more frequencies and underclocked stock voltages slightly. Looking very promising. Also planning to drop minimum voltages.

Sounds good :) Never heard of such a low step for our device, hope it goes well because I am interested

eRadicant

Apr 21, 2012
Melbourne

I'll try to reproduce the error, but if you could provide a logcat it could be helpful. I can't promise too much but will try research the issue. I'm planning to add more governors soon so stay tuned :)

Awesome (ran out of thanks for the day sorry lol)
It happens to me pretty much every time on the train with all sense4 roms
So it's difficult for me to provide a logcat

Nonverbose

Sep 18, 2011
Adelaide
Sounds good :) Never heard of such a low step for our device, hope it goes well because I am interested

Awesome (ran out of thanks for the day sorry lol)
It happens to me pretty much every time on the train with all sense4 roms
So it's difficult for me to provide a logcat

You can have a test drive if you like. Just the lower step, more steps and 500mV possible min voltage. No more governors yet.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is based on l0st.prophet's kernel with added support for Nik's projectX and Virtuous Infinity Sense 4 Roms.

Features:

It's still very much in development and Sense4 versions are not in universal flash as they includes rmdisk changes,
    firmware and an init.d script that Rom devs need to add to their releases first.

Test it, try it, rip it apart, fix it, break it, delete it. Pretty much do whatever you like with it.
    Tell me what you think and report any issues with as much information as possible.

Includes 15 governors:

• Brazilianwax
    • Conservative
    • Intellidemand
    • Interactive
    • InteractiveX
    • Lagfree
    • Lazy
    • Lionheart
    • Lulzactive
    • Ondemand (Default)
    • OndemandX
    • Performance
    • SavagedZen
    • Scary
    • SmartassV2

And all the usual goodies.

6 Schedulers:

• bfq
    • cfq
    • deadline
    • noop
    • sio (Default)
    • vr

Overclocking, undervolting, sweep2wake, 2wcr.

Install Instructions:

S-off Users:

Those updating from previous versions of my kernel only need to flash the corresponding zip file.

Sense 3.6 (Miui) users only need to flash their desired kernel version (wipe cache and dalvik is also recommended)

[highlight]Sense 4 users who wish to change from another kernel must first install a previous version then the latest.[/highlight]

e.g.

You want to install the latest version of Redux Kernel on Sabsa Prime, replacing stock/another kernel:

Flash Redux_0.8_Sabsa.zip first, then latest Redux Kernel version, wipe cache/dalvik and reboot.

You want to install the latest version of Redux Kernel on Nik's ProjectX, replacing stock/another kernel:

Flash Redux_0.3_ProjectX.zip first, then latest Redux Kernel version, wipe cache/dalvik and reboot.

You want to install the latest version of Redux Kernel on Virtuous Infinity, replacing stock/another kernel:

Flash Redux_0.3_Virt_Infinity.zip first, then latest Redux Kernel version, wipe cache/dalvik and reboot.

S-on users:

See this thread.
    Changelog:

Code:
    [b]0.8[/b]
    [list][*]Patched to 3.0.50
    [*]Updated boot.img for Sabsa Prime*
    [*]Re-enabled lower frequencies**
    [*]Disabled cleancache and gentle fair sleepers
    [*]Various fixes to touchscreen and s2w
    [*]bcmdhd(Sense4 wifi) driver from OneV source***
    [*]Tweaked bcmdhd to allow low wifi signals to be seen
    [*]further decreased vfs_cache_pressure to 10
    [*]Tweaked SIO and Deadline scedulers
    [*]tun.ko now built in
    [*]Various other tweaks
    [/list]

[b]0.7[/b]
    [list][*]Patched kernel to 3.0.46
    [*]2WCR can now also use WAV encoding
    [*]Tweaked CPU frequency selection
    [*]Tweaked WiFi voltage
    [*]Reverted CPU voltages to stock[/list]

[b]0.6[/b]
    [list][*]Tuned governors
    [*]Disabled swappiness
    [*]Reverted 2WCR to stock
    [*]Reduced sysctl_vfs_cache_pressure
    [*]Optimized filesystem
    [*]Reduced vm_dirty_ratio
    [/list]

[b]0.5[/b]
    [list][*]Reverted frequency table to stock for undervolting
    [*]Slight increase to GPU RAM allocation
    [*]Activated on-chip floating point unit
    [*]Enabled Stochastic Fair Blue network scheduler
    [*]Enabled Autogroup scheduling feature
    [*]Changed default IO Scheduler to SIO[/list]

[b]0.4.1[/b]
    [list][*]Fixed issue apps not installing[/list]

[b]0.4[/b]
    [list]
    [*]Enabled Cleancache support
    [*]Enabled Tiny Preempt RCU
    [*]Reduced WiFi and SD slot voltage
    [*]Disabled some debugging options
    [*]Added support for CPU Unaligned Access
    [*]Tweaked frequency and voltage table
    [*]Conservative back to default
    [/list]

[B]0.3[/B]
    [list]
    [*]Added functioning kernel support for 2WCR (AMR Codec)
    [*]Increased VM_MAX_READAHEAD to 4096kB
    [*]Updated jhash to v3
    [/list]

[B]0.2:[/B]
    [list]
    [*]Adjusted frequencies and voltages (see second post)
    [*]Added SLQB slab memory allocator
    [*]Added Brazilianwax OndemandX and InteractiveX governors
    [*]Disabled Powersave governor (useless)
    [*]Patched kernel to 3.0.43
    [/list]

[B]0.1beta:[/B]
    [LIST]
    [*]Enabled powersave governor
    [*]Wifi tethering fix
    [*]CIFS, TUN, NTFS changed to seperate loadable modules
    [/LIST]

*The Sabsa Prime Installer might work for other Roms (ProjectX) but at this point are untested. If you find it's working, let me know!!

**Lower frequencies are experimental and may cause issues (CPU sticking on min frequency) on some governors (interactive based) Do not lower frequency beyond the default if you do not know what you are doing.

***The new wifi drivers are a work in progress and you may notice issues on starting up wifi tethering. Current know workaround is to switch off security temporarily, switch tethering on and off and re-enable security. If someone finds a better workaround let me know. The tradeoff is a much more stable and faster connection from my testing. If this inconveniences you too much, just move to a previous version.

My github

Credits:

l0st.prophet for his amazing work on his kernel for our device so far
    amidabuddha for help getting this working for our device
    m0narx WiFi tethering fix
    showp1984 updated broadcom source
    MikeC84
    oliverclaude
    Update 0.8 released

Check out the changelog for details.

Whatever that app was that needed vpn, it should be working now, possibly even wifi direct. I will need confirmation on these though.
    Lower frequencies have been re-enabled as requested, just be aware there may be issues with it. Check out the first post for details.

As usual let me know what you think, I do read these posts and I try to address as many issues as I can but I really need you guys to be more descriptive. i.e. telling me there's "lag sometimes". I cant trace this. Take note of when the lag occurs, under what conditions and let me know what they are. It will be a big help in making this a better kernel.

Enjoy!!
    Information about BlackRose

The BlackRose hboot is different from Revolutionary in the way it installs modules as it has a seperate /lib partition that was introduced with the official 2.02 hboot to work around /system space issues encountered with the ICS update. Many of our custom Roms do not use this /lib partition for module installation as they have slimmed down the /system enough to allow it to fit without it therefore making it compatible with both Revolutionary and BlackRose.

There is a way to confirm if BlackRose is actually required and that is to have a look in your custom Rom's updater-script file. Open it up in a text editor (Notepad++ is recommended as it formats it correctly), and have a look near the beginning of the file. If both /system and /lib partitions are mounted seperately then the Rom is only compatible with BlackRose. If only /system is mounted, then you can use Revolutionary.

The way this translates to my kernel and It's BlackRose versions is if the Rom is only compatible with BlackRose then install the BlackRose version of my kernel. If the Rom is compatible with Revolutionary, even if you happen to be using BlackRose, install the vanilla version of my kernel.

The consequences of installing the wrong version (vanilla vs BlackRose) is the Rom will still boot, but none of the modules, including WiFi will work.
    Updated to v0.7

Tweaked a few settings to attempt to reduce heat issues that users have been experiencing.
    2WCR now working with WAV encoding as well as AMR

As always follow the install instructions, any issues post them up, but I must ask (again) that you provide as much information as possible so I can recreate or see the problem on my phone and attempt a fix.

Enjoy!!
    Latest update v0.6.

I'm happy with the stability of the kernel now, so the frequency of updates will be scaled back, unless someone finds an urgent issue.

As usual when reporting problems, provide as much detail as possible so I could recreate it on my phone.
    Have fun!

Are the BlackRose versions necessary? Can someone let me know.