• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Kernel][05.08.2021][4.9.278] Kirisakura_R 3.1.0 for Pixel 3/XL aka Bluecross

Search This thread

Freak07

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
Update to 3.1.0_R

Hey guys and girls,

I hope everybody had a good week so far. Here´s the update for August. It includes linux-stable upstream as well.

Other changes please check the changelog and/or github.

I wish everybody a great day.
Enjoy the device and the kernel, because I certainly do

Just in case:
If you face issues or bugs when running the kernel, please return to a stock environment, only your rom plus magisk root, without any modules, scripts, tweaks or mods and see if you can reproduce the issue.
Tell me the exact steps needed to reproduce.
Then send me a dmesg and a logcat (if the kernel crashes not) or a ramoops (in case the device reboots). Take a look at the second post for a guide on how to obtain these.

My kernel.zip flashes both boot.img and dtbo.img. So if you want to return to stock, you need to extract both from factory image and flash them via fastboot if on stock rom.
If you’re on a custom rom you will need to dirty flash your custom rom or learn how to extract both images from a payload.bin

Special thanks to @jcmm11 and @melgar for testing and keeping up with me!

I wish everybody a nice day/evening! :)
Enjoy the device and the kernel, because I certainly do

Changelog:
- August Security Patch merged
- Linux Upstream to 4.9.278

Important :)
All flashing errors are now fixed. If you experience the ramdisk error please take a look at the FAQ.

Have fun flashing and enjoy your device with latest linux-stable :)

Why is linux-stable important?

Download is below :)

Download:
How to flash the Kernel:

1. Make sure you are rooted, are using the latest magisk suited for your OS version and a kernel manager capable of flashing a zip is installed. If available you can use TWRP as well. Download the kernel.zip to your device.

2. Flash kernel.zip via your favorite method. Kernel Managers and Recoveries need to be updated to work with a specific Android Version. It's your job to ensure compatibility! :) Root will be preserved! (Make sure to be on the latest firmware the kernel is made for)

3. Reboot and profit! Before reporting any issues make sure to read the first three posts of this thread!

Instructions can be found in the OP too!

Have fun, enjoy the kernel and your phone.

Donations are not mandatory but very welcome.
If you like my work and want to buy me a coffee/green tea to keep the development going: http://paypal.me/freak07

TraderJack

Oct 5, 2008
Hey guys - little OT, but thought this might be place to ask... So I haven't used TWRP since my last phone because for a long time it did not seem to function on the 3XL.
Anyway, I had a boot loop today with a Magisk Module and in trying to recover I found info saying to use TWRP.

So I tried to use it using the method they lay out here:

And I didn't get very far. When I flash the boot.img to boot it just hangs at the TWRP logo (I let it sit there for a good 3-5 minutes), and I just need to hard reboot the phone.

I'm on Android 11, and from what I can see A11 has been supported since 3.5.1 - but then I also find some info about it not working on some phones with encryption.

Anyway - what is the deal? Can TWRP work? Do I need another method to install it?

Thanks.

N.B: One main reason I'm asking here is the requirement in the link above that says:
"You need to install a LZMA ramdisk kernel before installing TWRP"

I assume Kiri meets these requirements, but not sure if I need to do something else.

dnsmo

Apr 19, 2010
Chicago
Hey guys - little OT, but thought this might be place to ask... So I haven't used TWRP since my last phone because for a long time it did not seem to function on the 3XL.
Anyway, I had a boot loop today with a Magisk Module and in trying to recover I found info saying to use TWRP.

And I didn't get very far. When I flash the boot.img to boot it just hangs at the TWRP logo (I let it sit there for a good 3-5 minutes), and I just need to hard reboot the phone.

I'm on Android 11, and from what I can see A11 has been supported since 3.5.1 - but then I also find some info about it not working on some phones with encryption.

Anyway - what is the deal? Can TWRP work? Do I need another method to install it?

Thanks.

N.B: One main reason I'm asking here is the requirement in the link above that says:

I assume Kiri meets these requirements, but not sure if I need to do something else.
you need to install magisk, root the phone then install the kernel using EX Kernel Manager or Any other Kernel Manager you prefer.

TraderJack

Oct 5, 2008
you need to install magisk, root the phone then install the kernel using EX Kernel Manager or Any other Kernel Manager you prefer.
That wasn't the question. I know how to install the Kernel, I was asking if the Kernel was compatible for install TWRP into bootloader, or if TWRP is even usable yet on 11 as I've seen conflicting info on that.

Freak07

Jan 2, 2011

Thanks.

I skimmed through the last pages of the TWRP thread and it seems to me A11 is not supported by twrp right now.

Did you try to boot into safe mode via button combination? Booting to safe mode will unmount all modules, you'll be able to delete them on the next reboot.

TraderJack

Oct 5, 2008
I skimmed through the last pages of the TWRP thread and it seems to me A11 is not supported by twrp right now.

Did you try to boot into safe mode via button combination? Booting to safe mode will unmount all modules, you'll be able to delete them on the next reboot.
Yeah I was able to recover via adb shell working for about a minute before reboot, so I'm not in a problem state anymore. Having a BL like twrp comes in handy for all these situations so I thought I'd revisit it. Since you mentioned it in the OP and I couldn't find clear answers if it worked or not I was just curious. I guess I should take your info and the fact that I haven't been able to find a definitive answer as a sign that it just isn't functional on 11. No worries, I've got by without it the whole time I've had this phone.

Thanks

Freak07

Jan 2, 2011
Reactions: odontastic

oldbear3

Feb 4, 2011
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts