[KERNEL][06/12/2022] fsociety tribute for Google Pixel 4a 5G [A12/L]

Search This thread

momojuro

Jan 15, 2014
Samsung Galaxy A30
Google Pixel 4a
7IatM5l.png

Hello, friend.

Inspired by @wrongway213's original custom kernel for Pixel 4/XL, I decided to make my own project starting with the PIxel 4a 4G, and then wanted to expand the support to the Pixel 4a 5G. The naming is a tribute to both his ideas and Mr. Robot. fsociety tribute's goal is to give the device a set of useful features while ensuring its stability for a daily life usage. Those features and changes are pulled from different places like Sultan kernel, Arter97 kernel, Kirisakura and many more.

Features

General features

• Built with Google Clang version 14.0.2 + LLD linker
  • Full -O3 build with chipset's flags included (thanks to @eng.stk and @Sultanxda)
  • AnyKernel3 powered installation to stay OTA and flashers (EXKM, FKM...) friendly
  • ARM64 architecture optimization and performance patches
  • Merged security and code fixes from Google and Qualcomm - CAF
  • Filesystem (ext4/f2fs) optimizations
  • Scheduler code improvements for better CPU tasks assigning
  • Disabled several debugging cruft
Memory related features
  • Merge zRAM and zRAM's compression algorithm code updates
  • Increase zRAM's disksize to 4GB (from the stock 2GB). Apps can be easily memory intensive nowadays...
  • Swap 1 page at a time instead of the default's 8, so that it may help in case "the device is under extreme memory pressure"
    (source: https://source.android.com/devices/tech/perf/low-ram)
  • Reduce memory and CPU time usage by avoiding dynamic memory allocations in different kernel components (thanks to @arter97 and @Sultanxda)
Network related features
  • Set BBR as the default TCP network congestion control and switch to fq_codel queue discipline
    (this combination improves network speed and reliability - thanks to @kdrag0n)
  • Enable support for TTL spoofing
  • Update Wireguard to its latest release
Power-saving related features
  • Some of the main kernel parts (such as the audio drivers and the WLAN driver's delayed work/tasks) now use power-efficient workqueues (thanks to @Freak07)
  • Display "power-saving tweaks" merged-in (from Proton kernel)
  • Reduce the GPU idle timeout set to 64 ms and implement GPU power-saving changes from Sultan kernel
  • battery: Tweak QG SOC to be more linear/monotonic (from Proton kernel)
    That fixes the stock kernel's unlinear battery level curve, especially between 100% and 90%. The device will need a few charge-discharge cycles to take it into consideration
Performance related features
  • Faster system call filtering using BPF JIT (from Proton kernel)
  • Implement LRNG and enable it as default for better performance (more info at: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=LRNG-Random-2021-v41)
  • fuse: give wakeup hints to scheduler to speed up compress/decompress in internal storage (from Qualcomm,
    found in P6's Kirisakura kernel)
  • Disable the GPU memory usage tracing (which was enabled for debugging purposes)
  • Return before thermal trip evaluates (it is a workaround for the lag occurring when the device is low on battery and automatically switches to battery saving mode)
  • Other under the hood changes
Extra features
  • KCAL Color Control support (from ElementalX/Cleanslate - thanks to @savoca, @tbalden, and @flar2)
  • Haptic Feedback level Control with Fingerprint Haptic Feedback Control support from blu_spark kernel (thanks to @eng.stk)
  • Boeffla Wakelock Blocker (to use with caution, and only if it is necessary)
Download & Links

Credits go to

LineageOS and GrapheneOS for providing their initial source drops
@wrongway213 for inspiring me to achieve this project and his contributions (especially this thread template)
@eng.stk for blu_spark kernel, for his contributions and his personal pieces of advice
@tbalden for Cleanslate kernel, KCAL support, providing the building script and his contributions
@Freak07 for his guidance in solving my first kernel compiling issues and for his amazing contributions
@kdrag0n for Proton kernel and his innovative contributions
@Sultanxda for Sultan kernel and his outstanding contributions
@arter97 for Arter97 kernel and his efficient contributions
@osm0sis for AnyKernel3 and his contributions
@flar2 for ElementalX, KCAL support and his contributions
@nathanchance for his compilation guides and repos

Thanks to

@Anonshe, @redsmith, @badaas and all my Telegram's group members for being the awesome testers they are
@lacia-chan and @JoshuaDoes for their technical support and the discussions we had together
Every person that submitted a donation, including Shane that gave me his financial contribution which pushed me to work on redbull

XDA:DevDB Information
fsociety tribute for Pixel 4a 5G, Kernel for the Google Pixel 4a 5G

Contributors
momojuro
Source code: Github repository

Kernel Special Features: KCAL, Vibration Control, Wireguard

Version Information
Stable
Current Stable Version: 1.57
Stable Release Date: 2022-06-12

Created 2022-02-22
Last Updated 2022-06-12

Last edited:

momojuro

Jan 15, 2014
Samsung Galaxy A30
Google Pixel 4a
Hey nice kernel! I'm planning on using this in a custom rom(lighthouse sailboat) i plan on building and maintaining for the 4a5G. Is this ready to be built with roms or does it need any modifications? If unsure, i'll just test and see myself.
Hi,
I appreciate your support! It is indeed ready to use, but feel free to contact me if you want to have the build script. I suggest you to fork the repository after the upcoming March build release (as I often force push during my testing phases)!

Reactions: xxseva44

xxseva44

Hi,
I appreciate your support! It is indeed ready to use, but feel free to contact me if you want to have the build script. I suggest you to fork the repository after the upcoming March build release (as I often force push during my testing phases)!
Ahaha no worries, the rom will be in testing for a while anyways. As for the build script, yea sure send it over!

Reactions: momojuro

momojuro

Jan 15, 2014
Samsung Galaxy A30
Google Pixel 4a
Hello friends,
Here we are for a new update!

The project which started with the Pixel 4a 4G, then extended its support to the Pixel 4a 5G, Pixel 5 and Pixel 5a, has reached 2000+ downloads over 60+ countries, and it is a milestone I wouldn't have reached without your support! Thank you.

You're kindly asked to make sure you're using the stable v24.3 of Magisk before flashing fsociety tribute!

Changelog

fsociety tribute stable#1.43

- Full code rebase for better stability and address the previous reported issues on #1.00
- Android 12L - March 2022 security patch ready (thanks to @lacia-chan for providing the complementary merges)
- Merge the fix for the dirty pipe exploit (more info at: https://dirtypipe.cm4all.com/)
- Reduce the GPU idle timeout from 64ms to 58ms (stock is 80ms)
- Reset zRAM's disksize to stock's default
- Update the compiler from Clang 14.0.1 to Google's latest Clang 14.0.2
- Implement LRNG and enable it as default for better performance (more info at: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=LRNG-Random-2021-v41)
- Misc. under-the-hood changes

Download & Links

Last edited:

kratosjohn

Apr 2, 2009
You accidentally posted the 1.43 update file for the pixel 5. We can't flash the update as it says wrong device.

I also manually edited the script to allow it to install on bramble instead of redfin and of course when I booted my device I could not control the touchscreen (aka a pixel 5 kernel installed on pixel 4a 5g).

I checked the files on Sourceforge and I cannot actually locate the real pixel 4a 5g 1.43 update. Those are mislabeled for the wrong device.

I'm surprised no one has said anything since you released this update.....

You accidentally posted the 1.43 update file for the pixel 5. We can't flash the update as it says wrong device.

I also manually edited the script to allow it to install on bramble instead of redfin and of course when I booted my device I could not control the touchscreen (aka a pixel 5 kernel installed on pixel 4a 5g).

I checked the files on Sourceforge and I cannot actually locate the real pixel 4a 5g 1.43 update. Those are mislabeled for the wrong device.

I'm surprised no one has said anything since you released this update.....
well someone did mention in the telegram group. But yes, it is as you wrote.

momojuro

Jan 15, 2014
Samsung Galaxy A30
Google Pixel 4a
Hello everyone!

I hope you're all doing well. First of all, thank you for your support as always. I would also like to apologize for the sudden communication silence which wasn't planned. Sometimes life gets in the way, and you've got to make choices.

I fortunately found a part-time job and the first weeks were mentally and physically draining. If everything goes well, I will be able to buy a Pixel 5a soon in June, so that I may work again on the redbull/barbet kernel builds while also keeping my 4a 4G as my second device to maintain the original fsociety tribute project! :)

Excited to come back and exchange with the lots of you, but also address the reported issues.

Reactions: hochoch and j-a-d-z

momojuro

Jan 15, 2014
Samsung Galaxy A30
Google Pixel 4a
Hello friends,
Let's finally get back to business! I would like to thank each one of you for your patience, and all my Telegram testers for their feedback and support throughout the past weeks testing phase.

Note: Even though the kernel works with Android 13, I will not provide any support until it is officially released.

Changelog

fsociety tribute stable#1.57
  • Full code rebase to make the updating process easier and address the reported issues from the previous releases (such as the momentary display rendering lags)
  • Android 12L - June 2022 security patch ready with Android 13 security and code fixes merged-in
  • Merged-in Qualcomm's 4.19 repo latest code and scheduler improvements
  • Updated Wireguard to its latest version's changes
  • Removed the support of the following features for stability purposes:
  1. Haptic Feedback level Control with Fingerprint Haptic Feedback Control (Vibration control is still supported however)
  2. Boeffla Wakelock Blocker

Download & Links

OneNutShort

Mar 29, 2010
Huntington Beach
Hello friends,
Let's finally get back to business! I would like to thank each one of you for your patience, and all my Telegram testers for their feedback and support throughout the past weeks testing phase.

Note: Even though the kernel works with Android 13, I will not provide any support until it is officially released.

Changelog

• Full code rebase to make the updating process easier and address the reported issues from the previous releases (such as the momentary display rendering lags)
  • Android 12L - June 2022 security patch ready with Android 13 security and code fixes merged-in
  1. Haptic Feedback level Control with Fingerprint Haptic Feedback Control (Vibration control is still supported however)

Download & Links

Thank you Momojuro, happy to have you back, and really appreciate your efforts.

I just flashed this and am excited to see how it works. The stock kernel leaves a lot to be desired.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello friends,

Changelog

Download & Links
    Hello everyone!

I hope you're all doing well. First of all, thank you for your support as always. I would also like to apologize for the sudden communication silence which wasn't planned. Sometimes life gets in the way, and you've got to make choices.

I fortunately found a part-time job and the first weeks were mentally and physically draining. If everything goes well, I will be able to buy a Pixel 5a soon in June, so that I may work again on the redbull/barbet kernel builds while also keeping my 4a 4G as my second device to maintain the original fsociety tribute project! :)

Excited to come back and exchange with the lots of you, but also address the reported issues.
    7IatM5l.png

Hello, friend.

Inspired by @wrongway213's original custom kernel for Pixel 4/XL, I decided to make my own project starting with the PIxel 4a 4G, and then wanted to expand the support to the Pixel 4a 5G. The naming is a tribute to both his ideas and Mr. Robot. fsociety tribute's goal is to give the device a set of useful features while ensuring its stability for a daily life usage. Those features and changes are pulled from different places like Sultan kernel, Arter97 kernel, Kirisakura and many more.

Features

General features

• Built with Google Clang version 14.0.2 + LLD linker
    • Full -O3 build with chipset's flags included (thanks to @eng.stk and @Sultanxda)
    • AnyKernel3 powered installation to stay OTA and flashers (EXKM, FKM...) friendly
    • ARM64 architecture optimization and performance patches
    • Merged security and code fixes from Google and Qualcomm - CAF
    • Filesystem (ext4/f2fs) optimizations
    • Scheduler code improvements for better CPU tasks assigning
    • Disabled several debugging cruft
    Memory related features
    • Merge zRAM and zRAM's compression algorithm code updates
    • Increase zRAM's disksize to 4GB (from the stock 2GB). Apps can be easily memory intensive nowadays...
    • Swap 1 page at a time instead of the default's 8, so that it may help in case "the device is under extreme memory pressure"
      (source: https://source.android.com/devices/tech/perf/low-ram)
    • Reduce memory and CPU time usage by avoiding dynamic memory allocations in different kernel components (thanks to @arter97 and @Sultanxda)
    Network related features
    • Set BBR as the default TCP network congestion control and switch to fq_codel queue discipline
      (this combination improves network speed and reliability - thanks to @kdrag0n)
    • Enable support for TTL spoofing
    • Update Wireguard to its latest release
    Power-saving related features
    • Some of the main kernel parts (such as the audio drivers and the WLAN driver's delayed work/tasks) now use power-efficient workqueues (thanks to @Freak07)
    • Display "power-saving tweaks" merged-in (from Proton kernel)
    • Reduce the GPU idle timeout set to 64 ms and implement GPU power-saving changes from Sultan kernel
    • battery: Tweak QG SOC to be more linear/monotonic (from Proton kernel)
      That fixes the stock kernel's unlinear battery level curve, especially between 100% and 90%. The device will need a few charge-discharge cycles to take it into consideration
    Performance related features
    • Faster system call filtering using BPF JIT (from Proton kernel)
    • Implement LRNG and enable it as default for better performance (more info at: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=LRNG-Random-2021-v41)
    • fuse: give wakeup hints to scheduler to speed up compress/decompress in internal storage (from Qualcomm,
      found in P6's Kirisakura kernel)
    • Disable the GPU memory usage tracing (which was enabled for debugging purposes)
    • Return before thermal trip evaluates (it is a workaround for the lag occurring when the device is low on battery and automatically switches to battery saving mode)
    • Other under the hood changes
    Extra features
    • KCAL Color Control support (from ElementalX/Cleanslate - thanks to @savoca, @tbalden, and @flar2)
    • Haptic Feedback level Control with Fingerprint Haptic Feedback Control support from blu_spark kernel (thanks to @eng.stk)
    • Boeffla Wakelock Blocker (to use with caution, and only if it is necessary)
    Download & Links

Credits go to

LineageOS and GrapheneOS for providing their initial source drops
    @wrongway213 for inspiring me to achieve this project and his contributions (especially this thread template)
    @eng.stk for blu_spark kernel, for his contributions and his personal pieces of advice
    @tbalden for Cleanslate kernel, KCAL support, providing the building script and his contributions
    @Freak07 for his guidance in solving my first kernel compiling issues and for his amazing contributions
    @kdrag0n for Proton kernel and his innovative contributions
    @Sultanxda for Sultan kernel and his outstanding contributions
    @arter97 for Arter97 kernel and his efficient contributions
    @osm0sis for AnyKernel3 and his contributions
    @flar2 for ElementalX, KCAL support and his contributions
    @nathanchance for his compilation guides and repos

Thanks to

@Anonshe, @redsmith, @badaas and all my Telegram's group members for being the awesome testers they are
    @lacia-chan and @JoshuaDoes for their technical support and the discussions we had together
    Every person that submitted a donation, including Shane that gave me his financial contribution which pushed me to work on redbull

XDA:DevDB Information
    fsociety tribute for Pixel 4a 5G, Kernel for the Google Pixel 4a 5G

Contributors
    momojuro
    Source code: Github repository

Kernel Special Features: KCAL, Vibration Control, Wireguard

Version Information
    Stable
    Current Stable Version: 1.57
    Stable Release Date: 2022-06-12

Created 2022-02-22
    Last Updated 2022-06-12
    Hello friends,
    Here we are for a new update!

The project which started with the Pixel 4a 4G, then extended its support to the Pixel 4a 5G, Pixel 5 and Pixel 5a, has reached 2000+ downloads over 60+ countries, and it is a milestone I wouldn't have reached without your support! Thank you.

You're kindly asked to make sure you're using the stable v24.3 of Magisk before flashing fsociety tribute!

Changelog

fsociety tribute stable#1.43

- Full code rebase for better stability and address the previous reported issues on #1.00
    - Android 12L - March 2022 security patch ready (thanks to @lacia-chan for providing the complementary merges)
    - Merge the fix for the dirty pipe exploit (more info at: https://dirtypipe.cm4all.com/)
    - Reduce the GPU idle timeout from 64ms to 58ms (stock is 80ms)
    - Reset zRAM's disksize to stock's default
    - Update the compiler from Clang 14.0.1 to Google's latest Clang 14.0.2
    - Implement LRNG and enable it as default for better performance (more info at: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=LRNG-Random-2021-v41)
    - Misc. under-the-hood changes

Download & Links
    Hello friends,

Changelog

Download & Links
    Hello everyone!