[KERNEL][06/12/2022] fsociety tribute for Google Pixel 5 [A12/L]

Search This thread
Amazing work from OP, installed it 2 days ago and the battery improvement seems very promising.

I experienced a couple of lags as well while doing normal stuff (playing chess or updating apps in play store).

I'm using stock firmware with A12 february update - and Nova launcher, if that matters

I dont use telegram so I wont be able to sent you logs in there, but more specifically... how do I generate logs...? ^^

Edit :
so I experienced a huge battery drain last night. I use Swift Backup with automated backup to the cloud at 3AM which usually last for few minutes. Wake up this morning, the process was blocked half-way and battery dropped from 90% to 10%! I never experienced this before with stock kernel.
I know Adguard seems to be the cause but it's normal behaviour since it filters everything. Will try and disable it for Swift and see if there's any change.

Screenshot_20220413-073830.png

Edit #2: another day, another drain. I disabled Adguard for Swift backup and numbers speak by themselves:

Screenshot_20220414-071005.png

@momojuro, any idea what setting could cause this, and would I be able to adjust it manually?

Edit #3, I grabbed the Swift backup log. Seems to be a small problem on line 4
Code:
14/04/22 03:00:03.074/SwiftApp: Last exit details, ApplicationExitInfo(timestamp=13/04/2022 15:22 pid=15720 realUid=10271 packageUid=10271 definingUid=10271 user=0 process=org.swiftapps.swiftbackup reason=13 (OTHER KILLS BY SYSTEM) subreason=3 (TOO MANY EMPTY PROCS) status=0 importance=400 pss=52MB rss=124MB description=empty #34 state=empty trace=null, stateSummary=null

But the real problem seems to be on line 37:
Code:
14/04/22 03:00:06.658/File: <Unable to get input stream for file=/data/misc/apexdata/com.android.wifi/WifiConfigStore.xml: DeadObjectException: Transaction failed on small parcel; remote process probably died>

Attachments

• log.txt
    14.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

EViollet

Aug 9, 2010
Google Pixel 5
I'm seeing the same thing. During these episodes, I have noticed the lower power cores are all pegged to max.
A reboot of the phone, fixes the sluggishness.
Actually this behaviour was introduced, for me, by the March update and continues with April. I see it with stock kernel as well.
To me it has nothing to do with the kernel, but rather is a bug in the ROM itself.

EbolaCola

Oct 20, 2008
Trying to install this with SmartPack Kernel Manager. Looks like the AnyKernel script fails with "BusyBox setup failed. Aborting..." I've tried a couple different BusyBox installers, no help.

andybones

Forum Moderator
Staff member
May 18, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Trying to install this with SmartPack Kernel Manager. Looks like the AnyKernel script fails with "BusyBox setup failed. Aborting..." I've tried a couple different BusyBox installers, no help.
+1 for EXKM, I've never had any issues with ElementalX or other kernels I've tried, but can only confirm for A11.
I used EXKM to flash. Worked without issue. FKM works also. Both can be found in the Google Play Store.
Appreiciate the confirmation. I wanted to say EXKM, but have only done A11 kernels.

momojuro

Jan 15, 2014
Samsung Galaxy A30
Google Pixel 4a
Hello everyone!

I hope you're all doing well. First of all, thank you for your support as always. I would also like to apologize for the sudden communication silence which wasn't planned. Sometimes life gets in the way, and you've got to make choices.

I fortunately found a part-time job and the first weeks were mentally and physically draining. If everything goes well, I will be able to buy a Pixel 5a soon in June, so that I may work again on the redbull/barbet kernel builds while also keeping my 4a 4G as my second device to maintain the original fsociety tribute project! :)

Excited to come back and exchange with the lots of you, but also address the reported issues.

7h3DuD3

Jun 16, 2013
Google Pixel 5
Hello everyone!

I hope you're all doing well. First of all, thank you for your support as always. I would also like to apologize for the sudden communication silence which wasn't planned. Sometimes life gets in the way, and you've got to make choices.

I fortunately found a part-time job and the first weeks were mentally and physically draining. If everything goes well, I will be able to buy a Pixel 5a soon in June, so that I may work again on the redbull/barbet kernel builds while also keeping my 4a 4G as my second device to maintain the original fsociety tribute project! :)

Excited to come back and exchange with the lots of you, but also address the reported issues.
Welcome back! Looking forward to helping test

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone!

Hello friends,
    Let's finally get back to business! I would like to thank each one of you for your patience, and all my Telegram testers for their feedback and support throughout the past weeks testing phase.

Note: Even though the kernel works with Android 13, I will not provide any support until it is officially released.

Changelog

fsociety tribute stable#1.57
    • Full code rebase to make the updating process easier and address the reported issues from the previous releases (such as the momentary display rendering lags)
    • Android 12L - June 2022 security patch ready with Android 13 security and code fixes merged-in
    • Merged-in Qualcomm's 4.19 repo latest code and scheduler improvements
    • Updated Wireguard to its latest version's changes
    • Removed the support of the following features for stability purposes:
    1. Haptic Feedback level Control with Fingerprint Haptic Feedback Control (Vibration control is still supported however)
    2. Boeffla Wakelock Blocker

Download & Links
    Hello everyone!

Welcome back! Looking forward to helping test
    edit: oops I double posted the previous announcement
    7IatM5l.png

Hello, friend.

Inspired by @wrongway213's original custom kernel for Pixel 4/XL, I decided to make my own project starting with the PIxel 4a 4G, and then wanted to expand the support to the Pixel 5. The naming is a tribute to both his ideas and Mr. Robot. fsociety tribute's goal is to give the device a set of useful features while ensuring its stability for a daily life usage. Those features and changes are pulled from different places like Sultan kernel, Arter97 kernel, Kirisakura and many more.

Features

General features

• Built with Google Clang version 14.0.2 + LLD linker
    • Full -O3 build with chipset's flags included (thanks to @eng.stk and @Sultanxda)
    • AnyKernel3 powered installation to stay OTA and flashers (EXKM, FKM...) friendly
    • ARM64 architecture optimization and performance patches
    • Merged security and code fixes from Qualcomm - CAF
    • Filesystem (ext4/f2fs) optimizations
    • Scheduler code improvements for better CPU tasks assigning
    • Disabled several debugging cruft
    Memory related features
    • Merge zRAM and zRAM's compression algorithm code updates
    • Increase zRAM's disksize to 4GB (from the stock 2GB). Apps can be easily memory intensive nowadays...
    • Swap 1 page at a time instead of the default's 8, so that it may help in case "the device is under extreme memory pressure"
      (source: https://source.android.com/devices/tech/perf/low-ram)
    • Reduce memory and CPU time usage by avoiding dynamic memory allocations in different kernel components (thanks to @arter97 and @Sultanxda)
    Network related features
    • Set BBR as the default TCP network congestion control and switch to fq_codel queue discipline
      (this combination improves network speed and reliability - thanks to @kdrag0n)
    • Enable support for TTL spoofing
    • Update Wireguard to its latest release
    Power-saving related features
    • Some of the main kernel parts (such as the audio drivers and the WLAN driver's delayed work/tasks) now use power-efficient workqueues (thanks to @Freak07)
    • Display "power-saving tweaks" merged-in (from Proton kernel)
    • Reduce the GPU idle timeout set to 64 ms and implement GPU power-saving changes from Sultan kernel
    • battery: Tweak QG SOC to be more linear/monotonic (from Proton kernel)
      That fixes the stock kernel's unlinear battery level curve, especially between 100% and 90%. The device will need a few charge-discharge cycles to take it into consideration
    Performance related features
    • Faster system call filtering using BPF JIT (from Proton kernel)
    • Implement LRNG and enable it as default for better performance (more info at: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=LRNG-Random-2021-v41)
    • fuse: give wakeup hints to scheduler to speed up compress/decompress in internal storage (from Qualcomm,
      found in P6's Kirisakura kernel)
    • Disable the GPU memory usage tracing (which was enabled for debugging purposes)
    • Return before thermal trip evaluates (it is a workaround for the lag occurring when the device is low on battery and automatically switches to battery saving mode)
    • Other under the hood changes
    Extra features
    • KCAL Color Control support (from ElementalX/Cleanslate - thanks to @savoca, @tbalden, and @flar2)
    • Haptic Feedback level Control with Fingerprint Haptic Feedback Control support from blu_spark kernel (thanks to @eng.stk)
    • Boeffla Wakelock Blocker (to use with caution, and only if it is necessary)
    Download & Links

Credits go to

LineageOS and GrapheneOS for providing their initial source drops
    @wrongway213 for inspiring me to achieve this project and his contributions (especially this thread template)
    @eng.stk for blu_spark kernel, for his contributions and his personal pieces of advice
    @tbalden for Cleanslate kernel, KCAL support, providing the building script and his contributions
    @Freak07 for his guidance in solving my first kernel compiling issues and for his amazing contributions
    @kdrag0n for Proton kernel and his innovative contributions
    @Sultanxda for Sultan kernel and his outstanding contributions
    @arter97 for Arter97 kernel and his efficient contributions
    @osm0sis for AnyKernel3 and his contributions
    @flar2 for ElementalX and his contributions
    @nathanchance for his compilation guides and repos

Thanks to

@Anonshe, @redsmith, @badaas and all my Telegram's group members for being the awesome testers they are
    @lacia-chan and @JoshuaDoes for their technical support and the discussions we had together
    Every person that submitted a donation, including Shane that gave me his financial contribution which pushed me to work on redbull

XDA:DevDB Information
    fsociety tribute for Pixel 5, Kernel for the Google Pixel 5

Contributors
    momojuro
    Source code: Github repository

Kernel Special Features: KCAL, Vibration Control, Wireguard

Version Information
    Stable
    Current Stable Version: 1.57
    Stable Release Date: 2022-06-12

Created 2022-02-22
    Last Updated 2022-06-12
    Hello friends,
    Here we are for a new update!

The project which started with the Pixel 4a 4G, then extended its support to the Pixel 4a 5G, Pixel 5 and Pixel 5a, has reached 2000+ downloads over 60+ countries, and it is a milestone I wouldn't have reached without your support! Thank you.

You're kindly asked to make sure you're using the stable v24.3 of Magisk before flashing fsociety tribute!

Changelog

fsociety tribute stable#1.43

- Full code rebase for better stability and address the previous reported issues on #1.00
    - Android 12L - March 2022 security patch ready (thanks to @lacia-chan for providing the complementary merges)
    - Merge the fix for the dirty pipe exploit (more info at: https://dirtypipe.cm4all.com/)
    - Reduce the GPU idle timeout from 64ms to 58ms (stock is 80ms)
    - Reset zRAM's disksize to stock's default
    - Update the compiler from Clang 14.0.1 to Google's latest Clang 14.0.2
    - Implement LRNG and enable it as default for better performance (more info at: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=LRNG-Random-2021-v41)
    - Misc. under-the-hood changes

Download & Links
    Hello everyone!

Hello friends,
    Let's finally get back to business! I would like to thank each one of you for your patience, and all my Telegram testers for their feedback and support throughout the past weeks testing phase.

Note: Even though the kernel works with Android 13, I will not provide any support until it is officially released.

Changelog

fsociety tribute stable#1.57
    • Full code rebase to make the updating process easier and address the reported issues from the previous releases (such as the momentary display rendering lags)
    • Android 12L - June 2022 security patch ready with Android 13 security and code fixes merged-in
    • Merged-in Qualcomm's 4.19 repo latest code and scheduler improvements
    • Updated Wireguard to its latest version's changes
    • Removed the support of the following features for stability purposes:
    1. Haptic Feedback level Control with Fingerprint Haptic Feedback Control (Vibration control is still supported however)
    2. Boeffla Wakelock Blocker

Download & Links
    Flashed on stable 12.1 and noticed Chrome and other apps and UI just locks up.
    Reverted to stock kernel