[Kernel][08.05.2021][4.9.268] Kirisakura_R 3.0.7 for Pixel 3/XL aka Bluecross

Search This thread

prot-

Jan 16, 2013
Bad news. I've had a system freeze on the new 3.0.5 kernel after unlocking device about 4 hours after flash. 'll see if it happens again after hard reboot.

Note. I have systemless hosts enabled. Similar freeze to what happened when on stock kernel. The 3.0.4 has been working perfect before this tho. And was working on March update also. If it happens again I'll report and prob roll back to 3.0.4

Last edited:

Freak07

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
Bad news. I've had a system freeze on the new kernel. I'll see if it happens again after hard reboot

That doesn’t help. Grab the content of sys/fs/pstore after you force reboot the phone. Maybe there are still logs there.

Or if you have the chance, connect it to a pc and try to get dmesg and logcat before you reboot. It might be wise to grant adb shell su access when the phone is not frozen. so taking dmesg is possible when it is frozen.

prot-

Jan 16, 2013
That doesn’t help. Grab the content of sys/fs/pstore after you force reboot the phone. Maybe there are still logs there.

Or if you have the chance, connect it to a pc and try to get dmesg and logcat before you reboot. It might be wise to grant adb shell su access when the phone is not frozen. so taking dmesg is possible when it is frozen.
Ok will do

TraderJack

Oct 5, 2008
Bad news. I've had a system freeze on the new 3.0.5 kernel after unlocking device about 4 hours after flash. 'll see if it happens again after hard reboot.

Note. I have systemless hosts enabled. Similar freeze to what happened when on stock kernel. The 3.0.4 has been working perfect before this tho. And was working on March update also. If it happens again I'll report and prob roll back to 3.0.4

I've continued to have issues since upgrading to 11. Kiri definitely seems to make things better, but I do have the occasional lock up. This usually appears to happen directly after a phone reboot (or occasionally right after accessing the phone after a period of inactivity). I recall at least twice on last month's patches I attempted immediately after rebooting the phone to pull down the notification shade to get into settings and the phone locked up.

Other issues I'm having:

1) AFWall+ often says after phone reboots that it had an error applying firewall rules. I will have to go in and either toggle the rules or sometimes revoke magisk privileges and re authorize. This never used to happen on 10. I suspect this is some race condition with Magisk.

2) My biggest issue is screen redraws. I use Nova Launcher with a Business Calendar 2 widget for my calendar. Quite often when I go back to my home screen from being on some other app the entire home screen has to redraw. Other times it is not the entire home screen, but the contents of the calendar widget. This can be anywhere from a 1-3 second delay. It is quite annoying and not something that happened with any regularity on 10.

Currently have only system less hosts enabled, safetynet fix, and ESP. It is hard to test because of the amount it does it, but it seems to do it less if I have no magisk modules installed. However, it doesn't seem that any particular module is the cause, just any (or the more the worse). Not sure only that I didn't have this on 10.

I suspect there are some changes either to 11 or how Magisk interacts with 11 that have impact on memory management. I know that the Pixel 3 suffers from a RAM hardware deficiency, and has always been problematic here, but the issues appear to have worsened.

Another example of this is apps just closing when not in the foreground. I was having an issue where I closed down all other apps except calculator and chrome (the built in apps). I would be toggling back and forth from the calculator to a browser window to get numbers and every time I would toggle off the calculator it would apparently close completely causing whatever numbers I already entered to be loss and it reinitialize at zero. This of course made it unusable. This has only happened once or twice since 11, but nothing I ever experienced in 10.

I'm sure that Freak07's fixes to the stock kernel are helping most of the magisk freeze issues that were discovered, but I believe there are other things at work that has made my 11 experience much less enjoyable.

Reactions: zalazdev

odontastic

Aug 30, 2011
Release 3.0.5 appears to be working fine with Android 12 Developer Preview over the last day.
The only problem I encounter (that I get with the stock kernel as well) is that my attempts to pass SafetyNet prevents booting and usually requires a full wipe.

dekkon

Jul 2, 2006
what is the OTA update process for using a custom kernel? do I have to uninstall it before applying and reapply after?

Follow this guide. Start with Index step 4. (Install/Update Factory Image keep or wipe data), then step 7. (Root/Reroot with Magisk and Pass SafetyNet), then install custom kernel via an app like EKM

dnsmo

• Apr 19, 2010
    Chicago
    I am going to try on the April patch and report back.

well, I can't go into the phone to flash the kernel, the freeze of dead comes back right after I installed magisk.

edit02: I finally manage to flash the kernel 3.0.5 and so far no problem, thanks @Freak07

Last edited:
    Reactions: dcarvil

atrix2man

Dec 30, 2012
    I know this has probably been answered before but how are we supposed to flash the latest kernel for crosshatch? I went by the instructions and twrp wont boot up for me to flash the kernel, it just freezes on the TWRP logo. Im running android 11 so any help would be appreciated very much.

dnsmo

• Apr 19, 2010
    Chicago
    I know this has probably been answered before but how are we supposed to flash the latest kernel for crosshatch? I went by the instructions and twrp wont boot up for me to flash the kernel, it just freezes on the TWRP logo. Im running android 11 so any help would be appreciated very much.

TWRP is only working for android 10, not yet for 11.

Reactions: atrix2man

jcmm11

Recognized Contributor
    Feb 10, 2012
    know this has probably been answered before but how are we supposed to flash the latest kernel for crosshatch? I went by the instructions and twrp wont boot up for me to flash the kernel, it just freezes on the TWRP logo. Im running android 11 so any help would be appreciated very much.
    As mentioned a kernel manager is the usual option. Both Franco Kernel Manager and EX work well.
    It's also possible via command line, but it's a little trickier. Basically you just need to take the new kernel and use it to overwrite the boot partition using dd.

Reactions: atrix2man

Freak07

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
    Jan 2, 2011
    Update to 3.0.6_R

Hey guys and girls,

But in terms of the previous post of mine: Why flash 3.0.5 when there´s 3.0.6 :)
    Latest Linux-Upstream is updated there.

Other changes please check the changelog and/or github.

I wish everybody a great day.
    Enjoy the device and the kernel, because I certainly do

Just in case:
    If you face issues or bugs when running the kernel, please return to a stock environment, only your rom plus magisk root, without any modules, scripts, tweaks or mods and see if you can reproduce the issue.
    Tell me the exact steps needed to reproduce.
    Then send me a dmesg and a logcat (if the kernel crashes not) or a ramoops (in case the device reboots). Take a look at the second post for a guide on how to obtain these.

My kernel.zip flashes both boot.img and dtbo.img. So if you want to return to stock, you need to extract both from factory image and flash them via fastboot if on stock rom.
    If you’re on a custom rom you will need to dirty flash your custom rom or learn how to extract both images from a payload.bin

Special thanks to @jcmm11 and @melgar for testing and keeping up with me!

I wish everybody a nice day/evening! :)
    Enjoy the device and the kernel, because I certainly do

Changelog:
    - Linux Upstream to 4.9.265

Important :)
    All flashing errors are now fixed. If you experience the ramdisk error please take a look at the FAQ.

Have fun flashing and enjoy your device with latest linux-stable :)

Why is linux-stable important?

Download is below :)

Download:
    How to flash the Kernel:

1. Make sure you are rooted, are using the latest magisk suited for your OS version and a kernel manager capable of flashing a zip is installed. If available you'll can use TWRP as well. Download the kernel.zip to your device.

2. Flash kernel zip in via your favorite method. Kernel Managers and Recoveries need to be updated to work with a specific Android Version. It's your job to ensure compatibility! :) Root will be preserved! (Make sure to be on the latest firmware the kernel is made for)

3. Reboot and profit! Before reporting any issues make sure to read the first three posts of this thread!

Instructions can be found in the OP too!

Have fun, enjoy the kernel and your phone.

Donations are not mandatory but very welcome.
    If you like my work and want to buy me a coffee/green tea to keep the development going: http://paypal.me/freak07

ssdd28561

Aug 7, 2012
    Release 3.0.5 appears to be working fine with Android 12 Developer Preview over the last day.
    The only problem I encounter (that I get with the stock kernel as well) is that my attempts to pass SafetyNet prevents booting and usually requires a full wipe.
    3.0.6 works with Android 12 dp2.2 (pixel 3xl)

If you need to pass safetynet, you need to install the 2.0.0 version of kdrag0n's module (and hide magisk in settings, no prop changes needed for pixels). Works on my device.

Right now the latest version is here: https://github.com/kdrag0n/safetynet-fix/files/5876482/safetynet-fix-v2.0.0-test2.zip

Reactions: dcarvil and Freak07

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone