• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[KERNEL][08/11][3.10.102][UBER-5.4] Unofficial AK - 067

Search This thread

nathanchance

Senior Recognized Developer / Contributor
Jul 22, 2015
Mesa, AZ
nathanchance.dev
Hello again, it's been a while since I read some comments here.

However I have an issue with EXKM and didn't find the solution yet. I set some settings like shut down 4-7 cores and set frequency to 1555Mhz, everything is cool till now lol.

When I entered the app after 5-6 hours or maybe the next day, my CPU settings ARE gone "reset".

I don't know what's the problem and I don't face it on the first two weeks with EXKM, BUT now..

Anyone faced this problem? Is it from the kernel, rom, or EXKM?
Note: I'm sorry if you discussed this problem days ago, it's very difficult to go through all the comments to find something like that.
This is not really a problem, it's because the kernel can override the EXKM settings. Flar2 has put warnings up saying that messing with frequencies and cores can be pointless since Android/kernel processes can override those settings. I have never had that issue though. Is everything set to apply on reboot?

thanks!
what is everybody using? BlueJay or BlueJay_OC ?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using XDA-Developers mobile app
I used BlueJay_OC.

Ntress

Dec 5, 2010
This is not really a problem, it's because the kernel can override the EXKM settings. Flar2 has put warnings up saying that messing with frequencies and cores can be pointless since Android/kernel processes can override those settings. I have never had that issue though. Is everything set to apply on reboot?

I used BlueJay_OC.
how do you find it nathan? do you like it?
input boost on 768000 too?

Ntress

Dec 5, 2010
BlueJay is one of my favorite profiles. I am currently using the settings in the OP though. No, input boost needs to be 0 on BlueJay.
this is not good?

eab390b079c8e11d09f98e4f3168ee65.jpg

81348c89e1ae55d56f58c8673ccabe19.jpg

nathanchance

Jul 22, 2015
Mesa, AZ
nathanchance.dev
Regarding the new QuadRooter vulnerability, I opened the checker app and it said I was vulnerable to three things: CVE-2016-5340, CVE-2016-2504, and CVE-2016-2059. Now CVE-2016-2504 was patched in the August security update with this commit. Pretty sure that app is checking something bogus.

List of fixes:
CVE-2016-5340: https://www.codeaurora.org/invalid-path-check-ashmem-memory-file-cve-2016-5340
CVE-2016-2504: https://www.codeaurora.org/use-afte...tions-kgsl-module-cve-2016-2504-cve-2016-2503
CVE-2016-2059: https://www.codeaurora.org/projects...r-binding-any-port-control-port-cve-2016-2059

I'll have new kernels out today with these fixes. However, regardless of these fixes, you should always be cautious of apps you install from places other than the Play Store. Patches are not a fix for common sense.

Last edited:

nathanchance

Jul 22, 2015
Mesa, AZ
nathanchance.dev

eduardozeassesme

Jun 20, 2013
Milagro
Update for M and N!

Changelog: (Full commit list)
Version 066-9 for M and 005 for N
Fix for CVE-2016-5340: https://www.codeaurora.org/invalid-path-check-ashmem-memory-file-cve-2016-5340
Fix for CVE-2016-2059: https://www.codeaurora.org/projects...r-binding-any-port-control-port-cve-2016-2059
Updated chill governor to 2.0
Latest toolchain sources

Downloads:
M: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=92312
N: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=92319
Thanks so much for your nice job

chachin

Nov 13, 2011
Houston TX
this is just super weird. i install brokenOS rom newest version.. went for EAS DF-Linaro6.1 Kernel 66-9 reboot flash all the things and stuff now on phone it self i get this error: Play Store Error DF-DLA-15 i went back.. and rebooted twrp.. did all the stuff&things to go back to normal without ak kernel and only kernel built in brokenos and it works normally. dafuq did i do wrong? or what up with this kernel or what is up with playstore not being nice to me :(

nathanchance

Jul 22, 2015
Mesa, AZ
nathanchance.dev
this is just super weird. i install brokenOS rom newest version.. went for EAS DF-Linaro6.1 Kernel 66-9 reboot flash all the things and stuff now on phone it self i get this error: Play Store Error DF-DLA-15 i went back.. and rebooted twrp.. did all the stuff&things to go back to normal without ak kernel and only kernel built in brokenos and it works normally. dafuq did i do wrong? or what up with this kernel or what is up with playstore not being nice to me :(
That doesn't sound anything remotely close to a kernel issue: http://www.fixerrs.com/2016/05/play-store-error-df-dla-15.html

Reactions: chachin

chachin

Nov 13, 2011
Houston TX
hey @nathanchance it works now.. wipe dalvik cache on twrp and working good now on that kernel i mentioned above :D now to wait out and test this badboy and hope you dont update tonight like how @ak used to do xD and its my first time using a kernel made by you so ihope i like it as much as ak kernels :) i'll give you a update tomorrow morning and some pics hopefully for sot and all that other stuff people like with bbs app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introduction
    Hello everyone, this is my unofficial version of @ak's kernel. As he has been busy with life lately, I wanted to keep up with the Android security patches since this kernel runs amazingly on my phone; so I did just that. Because these are unofficial, you are NOT to discuss the use of them in ak's thread. Do that here. Read ALL of this post, I go over almost everything you could need to know. This kernel will only receive security updates and upstream Linux patches; I will not be changing anything else.

For those of you who have come here before, I have moved the more feature packed kernel to here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6p/development/kernel-ninja-kernel-v1-0-t3437247

Differences from official
    • AK versions 064-066 (unreleased officially by ak)
    • Linux versions 3.10.74-3.10.83 and 3.10.102
    • August security patch
    • Patches for some CVEs
    • Compiled with latest Uber 5.4 toolchain

Downloads
    Main folder

Installation
    • If on a previous version of my build OR the kernel that comes with your ROM: Flash the zip in TWRP and reboot.
    • If on another custom kernel: Dirty flash your ROM OR the boot.img if on stock, flash the zip in TWRP, and reboot.

Changelog
    Code:
    [b]067[/b]
    [LIST]
    [*]Initial release
    [/LIST]

Frequently asked questions
    1.1 Q: I am having an issue, can you help me?
    1.1 A: Keep in mind I am by no means a kernel developer. However, start by reading the release posts, as I may make note of a particular issue. Also search the thread to see if I have discussed it before. If you see nothing and then provide me with a dmesg/last_kmsg and logcat plus your ROM/kernel version, I'll do my best to assist you.
    Code:
    adb logcat -d > logcat.txt
    adb shell dmesg > dmesg.txt

1.3 Q: Can you add xyz feature?
    1.3 A: Sorry, no. I will only be adding security patches. If you want a fully updated and feature packed kernel, check out my Ninja Kernel: http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6p/development/kernel-ninja-kernel-v1-0-t3437247

1.4 Q: How do I control the kernel?
    1.4 A: AK recommends using Synapse; if you do not care for Synapse, I would flash this UKM uninstaller in TWRP to keep your /data partition clean. Personally, I recommend using either @flar2's EX Kernel Manager or @Yoinx's Kernel Adiutor-Mod; both are extremely solid and have given me no issues.

1.5 Q: What are your settings?
    1.5 A: Here are my regular/tried and true settings for what I consider great performance and battery life:

CPU:
    CPU governor: Interactive
    CPU governor (Cluster 2): Interactive
    Stock governor profile

Max CPU frequency: 1708 MHz
    Min CPU frequency: 302 MHz
    Max CPU frequency (Cluster 2): 2054 MHz
    Min CPU frequency (Cluster 2): 302 MHz

Input boost frequency: 0:768000 1:0 2:0 3:0 4:0 5:0 6:0 7:0
    Input boot milliseconds: 60

msm_thermal: Enabled
    core_control: Disabled

Graphics:
    No modifications

Gestures:
    Sweep2Wake: Up, Down
    Camera launch gesture: Enabled

Sound:
    No modifications

Memory:
    No modifications (I leave zRAM enabled)

Miscellaneous:
    No modifications (sioplus and 1536 are the defaults, which I use)

Thanks to:
    @ak for the fantastic kernel
    The various developers for their patches (@flar2, @franciscofranco, and @imoseyon to name a few)
    @DespairFactor for helping me with some kernel compilation issues and the Uber prebuilt toolchains I use
    All of you guys for viewing the thread

DISCLAIMER: I openly welcome off topic in my threads. Mods, please do not clean off topic discussion and users, do not complain about off topic discussion here. I may direct you to another thread if it is so suited but I won't have the discussion cleaned. Thank you.

XDA:DevDB Information
    Unofficial AK Kernel, Kernel for the Huawei Nexus 6P

Contributors
    nathanchance, ak
    Source Code: https://github.com/nathanchance/AK-Angler

Kernel Special Features:

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: v067
    Stable Release Date: 2016-08-11

Created 2016-06-19
    Last Updated 2016-08-11
    How to compile the kernel for yourself

1. Configure your environment

In order to compile this kernel, I'd recommend using Linux (OS X should be acceptable but this guide will be tailored for Linux). To get the environment configured, either use Google's own guide here or my guide (only section 1) here.

2. Grab the source

1. Grab my AK source
      Code:
      mkdir ~/Android
      cd ~/Android
      git clone https://github.com/nathanchance/AK-Angler.git AK
      Explanation:

First command makes a directory named Android in your home folder (mkdir = make directory). You can change the location if you want but keep it consistent throughout the guide.
      Second command moves into that directory (change directory)
      Third command pulls the source from my Github into a directory named AK (git clone <url> <folder_to_clone_in_to> is the format of the command).
    2. Grab my AnyKernel source
      Code:
      cd ~/Android
      git clone https://github.com/nathanchance/AK-Angler-AnyKernel2 AK-AK2
      Explanation:

First command moves into the Android directory we made above (change directory)
      Third command pulls the source from my Github into a directory named AK-AK2 (git clone <url> <folder_to_clone_in_to> is the format of the command).
    3. Grab the toolchain you want to use to compile the kernel
      Code:
      cd ~/Android
      git clone <kernel_url>
      Explanation:
    3. Setup the build

1. Make sure everything looks right
      After following the above steps, type:
      Code:
      ls
      You should see something like this:
      Code:
      aarch64-linux-android-6.x-kernel-linaro  AK  AK-AK2
      The toolchain directory make be different depending on what you cloned above. If it looks different, delete the Android folder and do step 2 again.
    2. Select the correct kernel branch
      Code:
      cd ~/Android/AK
      git checkout <branch>
      Example:
      Code:
      cd ~/Android/AK
      git checkout m-eas
      Explanation
      First command will move you into the AK source directory we cloned above.
      Second command will checkout the branch you want to compile for. A git repo can have multiple branches. For mine, these are the possible options:
      • m-standard (for the M Normal branch)
      • m-eas (for the M EAS branch)
      • m-nethunter (for the M NetHunter branch)
      • n-testing (for the N Normal branch)
    3. Select the correct AnyKernel branch
      Code:
      cd ~/Android/AK-AK2
      git checkout ak-angler-anykernel
      Explanation
      First command will move you into the AK AnyKernel directory we cloned above. This is what allows you to flash the kernel (thank you very much @osm0sis for all the work you do).
      Second command will checkout the correct branch (in this case, ak-angler-anykernel)
    4. Make the kernel

1. Tell the makefile what toolchain and architecture you are building for
      1. Figure out the full path of your toolchain folder
        Assuming you have done this whole process correctly, you can move into your toolchain directory and type:
        Code:
        cd ~/Android/<toolchain_folder>
        pwd
        Example:
        Code:
        cd ~/Android/aarch64-linux-android-6.x-kernel-linaro
        pwd
        You should get something like this:
        Code:
        /home/nathanchance/Android/aarch64-linux-android-6.x-kernel-linaro
      2. Tell the compiler where that toolchain is
        Copy and paste that file location above into this command:
        Code:
        export CROSS_COMPILE=<toolchain_dir>/bin/aarch64-linux-android-
        Example:
        Code:
        export CROSS_COMPILE=/home/nathanchance/Android/aarch64-linux-android-6.x-kernel-linaro/bin/aarch64-linux-android-
      3. Set the architecture
        Angler is a 64-bit device so we need arm64
        Code:
        export ARCH=arm64
        export SUBARCH=arm64
    2. Clean up from a previous compilation and update the source
      Code:
      cd ~/Android/AK-AK2
      git reset --hard origin/ak-angler-anykernel
      git clean -f -d -x > /dev/null 2>&1
      git pull > /dev/null 2>&1

cd ~/Android/AK
      git reset --hard origin/<kernel_branch>
      make clean && make mrproper
      Example:
      Code:
      cd ~/Android/AK-AK2
      git reset --hard origin/ak-angler-anykernel
      git pull > /dev/null 2>&1

cd ~/Android/AK
      git reset --hard origin/m-standard
      make clean && make mrproper
      git pull
      Explanation:
      First set:
      The first command moves you into the AK AnyKernel directory.
      The second command will undo any local commits you have done and align your source with the most recent commit from me.
      The third command will clean any untracked or compiled files (this is send to /dev/null so you do not see it happen).
      The fourth command will pull any new AnyKernel changes from me into the source.

Second set:
      The first command moves you into the AK source directory.
      The second command will undo any local commits you have done and align your source with the most recent commit from me.
      The third command will clean any untracked or compiled files (this is send to /dev/null so you do not see it happen).
      The fourth and fifth command (strung together with &&) will remove you
      The sixth command will pull any new kernel changes from me into the source.
    3. Set up the defconfig
      A defconfig tells the compiler which features you want in the kernel. This is already set up by me. To set up the defconfig, type the following:
      Code:
      cd ~/Android/AK
      make ak_angler_defconfig
    4. Name the kernel
      If you notice in About Phone > Kernel Version, it shows 3.10.102-AK.066-9.UBER4.9 (or something similar). You can customize this like so:
      Code:
      export LOCALVERSION=-"kernel name"
      Example:
      Code:
      export LOCALVERSION=-"AK-Nathan-Personal"
    5. Make the kernel!
      Code:
      make -j#
      Example:
      Code:
      make -j4
      Explanation:
      The # after the "j" is how many simultaneous threads are run. Traditionally, this is the number of cores you have plus one. So a quad-core CPU would be -j5.

5. Zip it up and flash!

1. Copy the zImage to the AnyKernel directory
      Code:
      cd ~/Android/AK/arch/arm64/boot
      cp -v Image.gz ~/Android/AK-AK2/zImage
      Explanation:
      We need to copy the newly compiled kernel (which resides in the arch/arm64/boot folder) to the AnyKernel directory, while changing its name to zImage.
      cp = copy
      -v = verbose (prints the copying)
      Image.gz = file to be copied
      ~/Android/AK-AK2/zImage = destination and name
    2. Make a current dtb file
      Code:
      cd ~/Android/AK-AK2
      tools/dtbToolCM -v2 -o dtb -s 2048 -p ~/Android/AK/scripts/dtc/ ~/Android/AK/arch/arm64/boot/dts/
      Explanation:
      No explanation, just do it :silly:
    3. Zip it up!
      Code:
      cd ~/Android/AK-AK2
      zip [email protected] -r9 ak-kernel.zip *
      Using the above commands, your newly completed kernel will be located at ~/Android/AK-AK2/ak-kernel.zip

If you followed all of the above steps successfully, congratulations, you built the kernel!! Once you have done all five steps, you will just need to follow steps 4 and 5 to update in the future. Below, I have linked a script that will do all of this for you (with some variable edits at the top); however, please do it manually first so you know exactly what you are doing :) enjoy!

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nathanchance/Android-Tools/master/ak.sh
    Update!

When I was working on the N version of this kernel, I discovered that ak did not merge Linux versions 3.10.74 to 3.10.93 into the kernel (unless I was missing a commit somewhere). I decided to find out if there were any issues that preventing him from doing so. I merged each version one by one, built, and tested. There were a few problems along the way (freezes, no sound, and bootloops) but I have ironed all of those out. As a result, I rebased all three of the M branches around those new commits. Additionally, I added an fstab.angler file so that forced encryption and dm-verity are disabled (I did not realize this had not been done before so I apologize). I have tested for the past two days and experienced no issues (and @kantjer has as well). Should you experience any, please provide me with a kernel log and logcat using the following commands:
    Code:
    adb logcat -d > logcat.txt
    adb shell dmesg > dmesg.txt

Downloads: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=83293

Changelog (full list of commits on my Github)
    • Rebased to include all upstream Linux from 3.10.74 to 3.10.102
    • Default I/O scheduler and readahead are now sioplus 1536
    • Added fstab to AnyKernel zip so that forced encryption and dm-verity are disabled
    • Latest toolchain sources
    Change of plans

Okay guys, I have done a bit of thinking and I have decided to switch something up. Recently, I have been feeling a little weird calling the kernel AK, as I am not AK and I am adding quite a bit on top of it, almost to the point it is starting to feel like a different kernel. As a result, I have decided to do two things:

First, this thread will not be going anywhere but its purpose will change. Going forward, this thread will be dedicated purely to providing an updated "stock" AK Kernel. This means ONLY security updates and upstream Linux versions, I will not be adding or changing anything else. It will be compiled with Uber 5.x, have Synapse support (which you can remove with the UKM uninstaller), and be as close to AK as it gets (just like the official version).

Second, I have taken the unofficial AK you have come to know and love and opened it under a new thread. It has acquired a new name as well: Ninja. Ninja is a bit of a nickname I have acquired here (goes along with the whole Flash thing too) so I decided to name the kernel this. This kernel will gain new patches and fixes as they come up. Check out the thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-6p/development/kernel-ninja-kernel-v1-0-t3437247

Hope you guys are enjoying the kernel, @ak has worked some real magic I think.
    Update for M!

Changelog: (Full commit list)
    • Version 066-8
    • August security patch
    • Removed the init.d option in AnyKernel zip (use su.d instead)
    • Added a patch to help with watchdog bites
    • Latest toolchain sources

Downloads: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=88179