[Kernel][10.06.2022][4.9.317][Android 12]Kirisakura_S 5.1.1 for Pixel 3/XL aka Bluecross

Search This thread

_Axios_

Apr 2, 2018
Got the same issue as well on my PixelExperience, does installing this test build fix it?
I can't say certainly about the fixing on the PixelEperience ROM, because I have LOS installed. But it seems to me that due to the fact that this issue is kernel related, the test build should help on any ROM.
Still using it and have no problems at all.

dcarvil

Apr 20, 2016
Every time i try to install this kernel it reboots to the bootloader. Clean install of PE.
I have wiped and factory reset and flashed several times with the same outcome. Any idea what may be wrong with my setup? It can't be the kernel but i am a a loss.
A few people, including me, with Magisk 25.1 have had that problem. One workaround is to revert to Magisk 24.3. No one has been able to get logs to indentify the problem. Most people with 25.1 do not have the problem.

Ashwin Kale

Jun 26, 2016
hey :)
attached build includes the fix you linked in your post. Please give it a try and report back.
Wireguard is bumped as well.
@Freak07 Hey bro the build is awesome... Everything 's running smooth... Mic issue is solved... But I still think that earpiece volume is a bit on the lower side... I'm still using kernel adiuter app for sound bump for earpiece as I need to connect ear buds for hearing other people's voice... Other than that... It's great work mate... Applause 🥂

entux

May 21, 2012
Hi,

I've recently updated my Lineage-19.1 installation via OTA-Update and reflashed the S_5.1.1 version. Since the reflash other people can barely hear me. I have to almost scream into the microphone. Any idea why that might be? Shouldn't exactly this problem be fixed with this version?

Is there any way to change the recording volume of the microphone?

Freak07

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
@Freak07 Hey bro the build is awesome... Everything 's running smooth... Mic issue is solved... But I still think that earpiece volume is a bit on the lower side... I'm still using kernel adiuter app for sound bump for earpiece as I need to connect ear buds for hearing other people's voice... Other than that... It's great work mate... Applause 🥂
glad to hear it´s working fine. There shouldn´t be a difference to how it is on stock.
Could there be some dust/dirt in the earpiece? The pixel 3 devices have quite an age now, so that could be a factor.

Hi,

I've recently updated my Lineage-19.1 installation via OTA-Update and reflashed the S_5.1.1 version. Since the reflash other people can barely hear me. I have to almost scream into the microphone. Any idea why that might be? Shouldn't exactly this problem be fixed with this version?

Is there any way to change the recording volume of the microphone?
That´s the wrong build. 5.1.2 has the fix for the volume:

Check this post:

Freak07

Jan 2, 2011
Ah... thanks. I thought I would find the latest version on androidfilehost.
You're correct, usually it's on afh if i do a release with a release post and all that, but i put this just out as a test until I find to update the thread properly since I wanted to get that hotfix out as fast as possible for everyone :)

Ashwin Kale

Jun 26, 2016
glad to hear it´s working fine. There shouldn´t be a difference to how it is on stock.
Could there be some dust/dirt in the earpiece? The pixel 3 devices have quite an age now, so that could be a factor.

That´s the wrong build. 5.1.2 has the fix for the volume:

Check this post:
@Freak07
Maybe... But I don't think that's the possibility bcoz
1. My phone is just 3 months old...
2. The voice after tweaking with kernel adiuter becomes like how it was before...
Maybe it's just me... Lol

nldxda

Jan 8, 2011
Google Pixel 3 XL
EDIT: I flashed the stock kernel and went riding and lo and behold, even on stock this app "paused" itself less than halfway thru the ride.. so it isn't only on kirisakura kernel this problem occurs.. it's a new problem as of a couple weeks ago and I've been using this app for years, so don't know what the problem is..

Original Post:

I use 4 cycling apps while out riding but using this kernel, one particular app seems to stop working. I suppose it falls out of RAM.

The 4 apps are: Strava, Google fit, mapmyride, and Ride with gps. It's ride with GPS that continuously pauses the ride and it ends up not recording half or more of the ride. This behavior doesn't occur using stock kernel.

Is there a setting I could change using a kernel manager app that could fix this?

Last edited:
Reactions: Freak07

Freak07

Jan 2, 2011
EDIT: I flashed the stock kernel and went riding and lo and behold, even on stock this app "paused" itself less than halfway thru the ride.. so it isn't only on kirisakura kernel this problem occurs.. it's a new problem as of a couple weeks ago and I've been using this app for years, so don't know what the problem is..

Original Post:

I use 4 cycling apps while out riding but using this kernel, one particular app seems to stop working. I suppose it falls out of RAM.

The 4 apps are: Strava, Google fit, mapmyride, and Ride with gps. It's ride with GPS that continuously pauses the ride and it ends up not recording half or more of the ride. This behavior doesn't occur using stock kernel.

Is there a setting I could change using a kernel manager app that could fix this?
Maybe try removing it from background optimization?

as a side note... the installer still says 5.1.1.
Thanks 👍

nldxda

Jan 8, 2011
Google Pixel 3 XL
Maybe try removing it from background optimization?
Ah ha! Just changed the setting, will see how it goes later today next ride.. thanks 👍

EDIT: so after removing battery optimization, it did work today without problem.. hopefully it'll keep working, 👍

EDIT 2: Doh! It paused mid-ride again, even with battery optimization turned off 😐.. don't know what to do now.. I hope I don't have to roll back to Android 11 just for this..

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashwin Kale

TraderJack

Oct 5, 2008
Google Pixel 3 XL
@Freak07

I'm not sure you can assist with this issue. As you are aware our Pixel 3XLs will have much more limited use as the next few months roll on due to the necessity of VOLTE and VOLTE roaming. This was the main impetus for Google releasing a new 12 update for the phone last month.

I had not been using 12 prior to this, but because I wanted to ensure call functionality I decided to take the jump to 12. I do not know if you have run into the issue with the Phantom Process Killer killing apps. It is detailed in depth here:

and a public issue on google's tracker here:
A more cursory overview is available here:

I can't say that my knowledge is enough to add anything more or even to fully grasp every detail discussed in the above threads. Suffice it to say Android 12 breaks a lot of functionality that power users were used to. For me that is most definitely Tasker which seems to die randomly - most usually overnight and take manually kickstarting it back into gear.

I am not sure which components of these changes are part of the Kernel in 12 or just part of overlying OS. The best workaround that has been proposed so far is to increase the thread count allowed for the process killer with the following:

Code:
adb shell "/system/bin/device_config put activity_manager max_phantom_processes 2147483647"

This isn't an ideal solution because it apparently doesn't help with the OS killing off apps taking (what it feels are) excessive CPU cycles. Apparently this setting can also be reverted by Google's config sync behavior (which I am still trying to fully understand).

What I am wondering is if it currently possible to enter some tuning parameter into your kernel to set this value on boot so that it does not need to be set manually and would not worry about reversion from other system processes to the default 32 value? I have never done any tuning manually to your kernel so don't know if this is something that is already possible using some type of kernel tuning application?

If not, is something like this even possible for you to implement in the kernel? If it is, would you consider it?

Thanks again.

UPDATE: Specifically it seems this is handled by ActivityManager and is specified in the code base here:

As such, I do not think this is a kernel issue? But not sure if something can be set in the kernel that would override that.
Again, I am asking because this seems to be set at a low enough level that even manually changing it gets overridden in some cases and thought you might have some insight.

Last edited:

TraderJack

Oct 5, 2008
Google Pixel 3 XL
Ah ha! Just changed the setting, will see how it goes later today next ride.. thanks 👍

EDIT: so after removing battery optimization, it did work today without problem.. hopefully it'll keep working, 👍

EDIT 2: Doh! It paused mid-ride again, even with battery optimization turned off 😐.. don't know what to do now.. I hope I don't have to roll back to Android 11 just for this..
Don't know if it will help you, but I upgraded to A12 finally a couple of weeks ago since they released the summer update.
I had nothing but trouble.
I found that apps closed more often (Maps on long trips), and had a bunch of problems with Tasker.
I think part of it is due to the issue of Phantom Processes being killed on 12. I wrote up some of my Tasker woes here.
In the end, I couldn't get Tasker to not crash and manually need restarting. I was also having a problem with my phone Mic and so as a last resort I did a full reload back to 11 (it worked, Mic is better....though I don't necessarily blame that on 12).
I had a lot of apps (500+) and these phones don't have a lot of working RAM. I think if you have lots of apps running at the same time (which many apps do in the background even if you don't realize) or if you have apps that need to continually run for a long time - you are going to have problems with 12.

I'm staying back on 11 until VoLTE issues force my hand. Too many things just didn't work for me.

Reactions: nldxda

justDave

Nov 17, 2006
I have to agree that 4GB isn't enough RAM anymore. For my part, I don't remember whether Android 11 was much better than 12 or if it's just that applications keep getting sloppier with their memory usage.
I was looking forward to the Pixel 6a until I heard they crippled it with 6GB of RAM. I can't see upgrading to less than 8 at this point. The regular Pixel 6 is too big for my hands (and pockets). So I just learn to be patient while my apps reload.

Reactions: nldxda

TraderJack

Oct 5, 2008
Google Pixel 3 XL
I have to agree that 4GB isn't enough RAM anymore. For my part, I don't remember whether Android 11 was much better than 12 or if it's just that applications keep getting sloppier with their memory usage.
I was looking forward to the Pixel 6a until I heard they crippled it with 6GB of RAM. I can't see upgrading to less than 8 at this point. The regular Pixel 6 is too big for my hands (and pockets). So I just learn to be patient while my apps reload.
4GB wasn't enough when the 3XL was released. It really was an insult to sell us a $1K phone with 4GB of RAM.
I won't say that 11 is better than 12, but on the 3XL I think it certainly is (especially with the phantom process issues if you are a power user).
My 2 week experience with 12 was nothing but problem after problem and not a single new "feature" that I cared to have, especially at the sake of what was lost.
My 11 experience was getting a bit bogged down, but I think it was due to the # of apps I have installed and as you say apps getting sloppier. McDonalds or Walgreens has no reason to be doing anything on my phone unless I am actively using it.
I will be reinstalling some of these but keeping them frozen unless needed.

Reactions: nldxda and justDave

Top Liked Posts