• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[KERNEL] [11.0.0] Kazuki Kernel [October 26, 2021]

Search This thread

AndroidClone

May 22, 2010
This is the best kernel I have ever used for taimen. Battery life is amazing and the phone even on Android auto is better than it ever has been. Running DOTos 5.2 smooth as eggs. Any chance of integrating kcal for a true color correction profile?

Reactions: TheAlmightyOgreLord
Jun 10, 2019
Is there a reason why our Pixel 2 XL's kernel never provided more sophisticated I/O schedulers like Zen or Maple? My OnePlus One runs on Maple and my god the battery life and responsiveness is like 10x better.

The only reason I can imagine is maybe it has to do with the relationship between the "big" and "little" processors in our device? Maybe most I/O schedulers don't work optimally with this combination? I can only speculate.

Kaz205

Mar 20, 2019
Is there a reason why our Pixel 2 XL's kernel never provided more sophisticated I/O schedulers like Zen or Maple? My OnePlus One runs on Maple and my god the battery life and responsiveness is like 10x better.

The only reason I can imagine is maybe it has to do with the relationship between the "big" and "little" processors in our device? Maybe most I/O schedulers don't work optimally with this combination? I can only speculate.
They don't seem to be better, and CFQ has become much more mature compared to the old days.

Any chance of integrating kcal for a true color correction profile?
No, I think it should be done in the ROM.

Jun 10, 2019
They don't seem to be better, and CFQ has become much more mature compared to the old days.
I assumed so. I'm pretty sure its because zen and maple were designed for single-chip devices, ours is a dual-chip and would therefore benefit from a more traditional I/O scheduler since the second chip basically offloads any task.

Also your kernel is superb... Do you have any plans on merging the recent privilege escalation vulnerability from the November 5 security patch, CVE-2021-0920? Keep up the quality work! 🖖🏻

Last edited:

dudeman13

Nov 25, 2021
Hi, I was just wondering is there anyway to compare two kernels objectively ?

I was using DotOS 5.2 with Kazuki Kernel for about a month. I had fantastic battery life and performance.
After taking the OTA 5.2.1 update my kernel changed to unicornblood-pixel2-r
It is too early for me to tell what the difference is.

Now while I had fantastic performance with Kazuki I don't really know why. What is going on behind the scenes, what is different about these two kernels, and objectively speaking which is better for which type of end user?

Keep up the good work @Kaz205!

Jun 10, 2019
Hi, I was just wondering is there anyway to compare two kernels objectively ?

I was using DotOS 5.2 with Kazuki Kernel for about a month. I had fantastic battery life and performance.
After taking the OTA 5.2.1 update my kernel changed to unicornblood-pixel2-r
It is too early for me to tell what the difference is.

Now while I had fantastic performance with Kazuki I don't really know why. What is going on behind the scenes, what is different about these two kernels, and objectively speaking which is better for which type of end user?

Keep up the good work @Kaz205!
From what I know, the kernel this is based off of; Sultan's, had enabled the secondary little processor to be on all the time instead of idle when not used since he found it uses a negligible amount of battery power and significantly speeds up tasks while also saving battery by reducing usage of the big processor.

Jun 10, 2019
hint: its not negligible in real life
So are you here to debate Sultan or Kaz for using his work? I like this kernel, I've noticed significant improvements in touch accuracy and improvements in battery. But that's on my device, with my setup. The speed improvement coming to this kernel (& previously sultan's) in booting android and opening apps is very noticeable as well. I like choices; if you don't like a kernel you can fork your own, try another one or stick with stock which is perfectly fine for most people.

samsungrocks10

May 29, 2018
Thanks for the kernel.
Though, I'm having issues with my phone randomly locking up and getting very warm, especially in the past few hours these lockups have been a little different, while sitting at my PC I hear my watch disconnect and check my phone to find it responsive, albeit very slow, for a small bit before locking up like I talked about before and requiring me to force reboot.
It seems to be happening while not in use, for example, overnight on the charger or at my desk like above. If not on the charger to no real surprise with the heat and all, it kills the battery till the phone shuts off if left unnoticed.

I appreciate any help figuring this out. I think this has only started happening after installing the kernel a few weeks ago but sorry if this isn't the cause. If anyone needs some more info let me know.

Kernel is the current latest kazuki release(2021-10-26) and my ROM is Lineage 18.1 latest(2021-11-25) with opengapps and magisk, along with a bunch of modules, if needed I'll get a list. Mostly audio, lsposed and pixelfeaturedrop (updated manually to current patch levels by me).

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2019
Thanks for the kernel.
Though, I'm having issues with my phone randomly locking up and getting very warm, especially in the past few hours these lockups have been a little different, while sitting at my PC I hear my watch disconnect and check my phone to find it responsive, albeit very slow, for a small bit before locking up like I talked about before and requiring me to force reboot.
It seems to be happening while not in use, for example, overnight on the charger or at my desk like above. If not on the charger to no real surprise with the heat and all, it kills the battery till the phone shuts off if left unnoticed.

I appreciate any help figuring this out. I think this has only started happening after installing the kernel a few weeks ago but sorry if this isn't the cause. If anyone needs some more info let me know.

Kernel is the current latest kazuki release(2021-10-26) and my ROM is Lineage 18.1 latest(2021-11-25) with opengapps and magisk, along with a bunch of modules, if needed I'll get a list. Mostly audio, lsposed and pixelfeaturedrop (updated manually to current patch levels by me).
Have you tried all your mods on the stock lineageOS kernel to compare? Also a kmesg at the time of the event usually helps a lot

Kaz205

Mar 20, 2019
I assumed so. I'm pretty sure its because zen and maple were designed for single-chip devices, ours is a dual-chip and would therefore benefit from a more traditional I/O scheduler since the second chip basically offloads any task.
No, it works on systems with multicore CPUs too.
From what I know, the kernel this is based off of; Sultan's, had enabled the secondary little processor to be on all the time instead of idle when not used since he found it uses a negligible amount of battery power and significantly speeds up tasks while also saving battery by reducing usage of the big processor.
No?
Thanks for the kernel.

I don't have that issue. It's probably caused by your Magisk modules.

Jun 10, 2019
No, it works on systems with multicore CPUs too.

No?

I don't have that issue. It's probably caused by your Magisk modules.
What do you mean "no"? I read that directly off of sultan's kernel thread on one of his big updates. You think I'm making this up? Or did you specifically change that? I thought your kernel is based on sultan's is it not?

dudeman13

Nov 25, 2021
@Kaz205 So going back to the original question... Is there anything you could comment on why/how one kernel is superior to another to lame end user?
A brief behind the scenes ELI5 of what changes were made compared to stock or any other kernel would be helpful to many end users

fantastic performance with Kazuki I don't really know why. What is going on behind the scenes, what is different about these two kernels, and objectively speaking which is better for which type of end user?

Kaz205

Mar 20, 2019
@Kaz205 So going back to the original question... Is there anything you could comment on why/how one kernel is superior to another to lame end user?
A brief behind the scenes ELI5 of what changes were made compared to stock or any other kernel would be helpful to many end users
The features list and the changelog in mine and Sultan's kernel should be enough to get a grasp on what's going on. If you want to know everything including what's happening behind the scenes, I suggest you read the commit history https://github.com/Kaz205/android_kernel_google_wahoo/commits/11.0.0-sultan.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introduction
    Kazuki Kernel is a kernel based on Sultan's kernel with some additional modifications aiming to give a better experience than the stock kernel.

Compatibility
    This kernel only supports devices running the latest firmware (vendor.img), and will NOT BOOT on anything else.

Features
    • Everything from Sultan Kernel
    • Backports from Sultan's Pixel 4/XL kernel
    • Patches from kdrag0n's Pixel 2/XL kernel
    • New set of optimized CPU frequencies and EAS energy model
    • Wi-Fi WPA3 support
    • Miscellaneous treewide optimizations
    Downloads
    Latest kernel
    Enable support for flip covers (optional)

Credits
    • Sultan Alsawaf (Sultanxda/kerneltoast) for his kernel and help
    • Danny Lin (kdrag0n) for his patches and freqbench
    • Everyone else who I cherry-picked from
    Source code
    https://github.com/Kaz205/android_kernel_google_wahoo/commits/20211026
    Changelog

October 26, 2021:
    • Fixed the deadlock (finally!)
    Thanks to @ab123321 for the help

October 14, 2021:
    • Fixed a deadlock (for real this time).

October 11, 2021:
    • Fixed a deadlock

September 28, 2021:
    • EAS patches from android-4.4-p
    • Optimized lock usage in various subsystems
    • Lowered idle drain

September 12, 2021:
    • Fix high power consumption when playing video

September 8, 2021:
    • Bring back support for AFWall
    • Allow vibration when the Camera is used

September 7, 2021:
    • Complete revamp! Cleaned up broken commits
    and rebased onto Sultanxda's 11.0.0-sultan branch
    • Revert back to v4.4.223
    • Update compiler to GCC 11.2
    • Save power when rendering static images
    • Massively save power when playing video
    • Merge September ASB
    • Further backports from Sultan's Pixel 4/XL kernel
    • New set of optimized CPU frequencies for performance and battery life

July 11, 2021:
    *Further tweak scheduler for better performance and battery life
    *Better low-memory-killer performance (Thanks Sultan)
    *Update WireGuard to v1.0.20210606
    *Merge linux-stable v4.4.275
    *More stuff that I forgot about

May 12, 2021:
    *Switch compiler to GCC 11.1 for improved performance
    *Merge April and May ASB
    *Merge linux-stable v4.4.265
    *Update Simple LMK
    *Enable zram deduplication (saves 100~200mb of memory)
    *Massively optimize Unity games (thanks Sultan)
    *Further backports from Sultan's Pixel 4/XL kernel
    *Micro-optimize Qualcomm secure channel manager

April 26, 2021:
    *Revert zram compressor back to zsmalloc as z3fold was causing problems
    *Slightly reduce overall power consumption
    *Minor bug fixes from Qualcomm

April 24, 2021:
    *Switch zram compressor backend to z3fold (for hopefully better long term performance)
    *Micro-optimize Qualcomm G-link driver
    *Slightly reduce overall power consumption
    *Minor scheduler improvements

April 18, 2021:
    *Initial release
    Fixed the kgsl deadlock (100%) (confirmed working 2021)
    Newwwww build
    New build is out with a different name and some cool improvements!