[KERNEL][11.0.0] Sultan Kernel [May 11, 2022]

Search This thread

Sultanxda

Recognized Developer
Will you update kernel for android 12?
Sorry for the late reply; in the future, you can @ me so I get a notification.

Right now I'm still using Android 11 because 12 is just too buggy. I've tested it and found numerous problems, in addition to the many problems reported by others online. Although I could fix some of the problems I experienced, there are many others that I cannot fix, and I don't want to rely on a buggy phone.

I've been following this list of bugs here which gets updated regularly (scroll to the bottom for the newest updates): https://piunikaweb.com/2022/01/22/google-pixel-android-12-bugs-problems-issues-tracker/

I may skip Android 12 altogether. Right now, I'm still using Android 11 builds of LineageOS, which still gets updated since Google does basic maintenance for old Android versions for a few years.

Reactions: ap1618

skothiya

May 5, 2014
Sorry for the late reply; in the future, you can @ me so I get a notification.

Right now I'm still using Android 11 because 12 is just too buggy. I've tested it and found numerous problems, in addition to the many problems reported by others online. Although I could fix some of the problems I experienced, there are many others that I cannot fix, and I don't want to rely on a buggy phone.

I've been following this list of bugs here which gets updated regularly (scroll to the bottom for the newest updates): https://piunikaweb.com/2022/01/22/google-pixel-android-12-bugs-problems-issues-tracker/

I may skip Android 12 altogether. Right now, I'm still using Android 11 builds of LineageOS, which still gets updated since Google does basic maintenance for old Android versions for a few years.
Thank you for reply
Btw your kernel is working like charm.

Reactions: ap1618

ap1618

Yep, it'll work fine. There's a newer kernel I didn't update the thread for: https://github.com/kerneltoast/andr...d/release/Sultan-kernel-floral-R-20211120.zip

Didn't realize there were so many people going back to 11...
Oh yea, I'm glad I finally jumped back to 11...12 was really crappy now that i've been on 11 for a few weeks.

I'm on the 10/18 kernel, and love it. This may be the first and only kerenel where i've seen Android System usage FINALLY below phone idle %, when the phone is left alone!!

Anything big on the newer version you have linked here?

Sultanxda

Recognized Developer
Oh yea, I'm glad I finally jumped back to 11...12 was really crappy now that i've been on 11 for a few weeks.

I'm on the 10/18 kernel, and love it. This may be the first and only kerenel where i've seen Android System usage FINALLY below phone idle %, when the phone is left alone!!

Anything big on the newer version you have linked here?
Yeah there are big improvements in the newer version I linked here, as well as some other improvements in the pipeline that I haven't finished or uploaded to XDA because I thought demand for Android 11 kernels was low.

ashatter

Oct 10, 2012
Sure. I'm checking here every now or then for new versions too. Maybe I should learn to check your github from now on. lol

Sultanxda

Recognized Developer

thedeadfish59

May 28, 2013
Saudi Arabia
web.facebook.com
OnePlus 6T
@Sultanxda hello, sorry for the mention and I read through some comments that 12 is very buggy for you, since April update has been arrived and it seems fine while normal using (Except swipe up to freeze sometimes randomly occurs, which is less in april build was more on march)

Any plans to make tests on 12/L?

Sultanxda

Recognized Developer
@Sultanxda hello, sorry for the mention and I read through some comments that 12 is very buggy for you, since April update has been arrived and it seems fine while normal using (Except swipe up to freeze sometimes randomly occurs, which is less in april build was more on march)

Any plans to make tests on 12/L?
Nope, I'm skipping 12 entirely.

As for my kernel, I'm still spending several hours trying to fix all the bugs with PREEMPT_RT but it's been exactly 2 months now ;_;

• Sad
Reactions: thedeadfish59

ashatter

Oct 10, 2012
Nope, I'm skipping 12 entirely.

As for my kernel, I'm still spending several hours trying to fix all the bugs with PREEMPT_RT but it's been exactly 2 months now ;_;
Maybe it's too early to ask this unrelated question. I'm curious about whether you have a plan to upgrade to another phone. If so, what it may be. I want to have the same phone with you. XD

Sultanxda

Recognized Developer
New build is up! It's technically for Android 11, but I know some who have used my kernel on 12 and 13 without any issues.

This build is a very big update since it brings full real-time preemption, also known as PREEMPT_RT. What this does is essentially make the kernel as responsive as possible, eliminating lots of random stutters that just can't be fixed on normal kernels. I spent about 3 months fixing all the bugs I could find with PREEMPT_RT and then optimizing many drivers in the kernel to further improve overall responsiveness. This should be a very smooth kernel. Enjoy!

Sultanxda

Recognized Developer
New build is up with fixes for frequent random reboots if you previously had Kirisakura installed, as well as fixes for random reboots and freezes during deep sleep.

Kirisakura installs a script that runs on boot which changes the deep sleep mode to one that doesn't work with my kernel as of the April 24 update. The April 24 update was supposed to have a safeguard to prevent the deep sleep mode from being changed, but the safeguard was broken.

FYI, the Kirisakura boot script doesn't go away unless you re-flash your ROM's boot.img.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New build is up with more fixes and optimizations relating to deep sleep!
    New build is up with fixes for frequent random reboots if you previously had Kirisakura installed, as well as fixes for random reboots and freezes during deep sleep.

Kirisakura installs a script that runs on boot which changes the deep sleep mode to one that doesn't work with my kernel as of the April 24 update. The April 24 update was supposed to have a safeguard to prevent the deep sleep mode from being changed, but the safeguard was broken.

FYI, the Kirisakura boot script doesn't go away unless you re-flash your ROM's boot.img.
    New build is up with some performance issues fixed.
    Code:
    /*
    * Your warranty is no longer valid, unless you lie.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, strained relationships,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this kernel
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

This is a no-frills custom kernel for the Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL designed to be used with the stock ROM and custom Android 11 ROMs. It's intended to be a simple replacement for the stock kernel that brings several under-the-hood enhancements. This kernel is not meant to be customized by users.

Changelogs for each update can be found in the 2nd post of this thread.

Features:

• Full real-time preemption (PREEMPT_RT), which makes the kernel as responsive and stutter-free as possible
    • Compiled with GCC 12.1 from the Arch Linux repository
    • Built with Link Time Optimization (LTO) for improved overall kernel performance
    • Built with Dead Code Elimination (DCE) to shrink the kernel's size by removing unused code
    • Removed lots of excessive bloat (improves security and performance)
    • Simple LMK, a custom low memory killer that improves memory management
    • Optimized CPU frequencies and EAS energy model for improved performance and battery life
    • WireGuard, a next generation secure VPN tunnel
    • Passes SafetyNet bootloader unlock check
    • Improved gaming performance
    • Improved overall system fluidity and graphics performance
    • Improved stability
    • Many other miscellaneous improvements not listed here

Source code:
    11.0.0-sultan branch: https://github.com/kerneltoast/android_kernel_google_floral

Credits:
    • zx2c4 (for WireGuard)
    • osm0sis (for AnyKernel3)
    • kdrag0n (for quite a few useful commits)
    • If your name should be here and it isn't, then replace my camera with a OnePlus 3

Installation instructions:
    You can flash this kernel normally in TWRP, LineageOS recovery, or Franco Kernel Manager.

Telegram group:
    https://t.me/sultanskernel

Downloads:
    Latest kernel
    New build is up.
    New build is up! It's technically for Android 11, but I know some who have used my kernel on 12 and 13 without any issues.

This build is a very big update since it brings full real-time preemption, also known as PREEMPT_RT. What this does is essentially make the kernel as responsive as possible, eliminating lots of random stutters that just can't be fixed on normal kernels. I spent about 3 months fixing all the bugs I could find with PREEMPT_RT and then optimizing many drivers in the kernel to further improve overall responsiveness. This should be a very smooth kernel. Enjoy!
    New build is up with August security fixes and some other small esoteric improvements I haven't listed.
    New build is up with more fixes and optimizations relating to deep sleep!