[KERNEL][11.0.0] Sultan Kernel [June 16, 2022]

Search This thread

Sultanxda

Recognized Developer
Code:
/*
* Your warranty is no longer valid, unless you lie.
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, strained relationships,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this kernel
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
*/

This is a no-frills custom kernel for the Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL designed to be used with the stock ROM and custom Android 11 ROMs. It's intended to be a simple replacement for the stock kernel that brings several under-the-hood enhancements. This kernel is not meant to be customized by users.

Changelogs for each update can be found in the 2nd post of this thread.

Features:

• Full real-time preemption (PREEMPT_RT), which makes the kernel as responsive and stutter-free as possible
  • Compiled with GCC 12.1 from the Arch Linux repository
  • Built with Link Time Optimization (LTO) for improved overall kernel performance
  • Built with Dead Code Elimination (DCE) to shrink the kernel's size by removing unused code
  • Removed lots of excessive bloat (improves security and performance)
  • Simple LMK, a custom low memory killer that improves memory management
  • Optimized CPU frequencies and EAS energy model for improved performance and battery life
  • WireGuard, a next generation secure VPN tunnel
  • Passes SafetyNet bootloader unlock check
  • Improved gaming performance
  • Improved overall system fluidity and graphics performance
  • Improved stability
  • Many other miscellaneous improvements not listed here

Source code:
11.0.0-sultan branch: https://github.com/kerneltoast/android_kernel_google_floral

Credits:
  • zx2c4 (for WireGuard)
  • osm0sis (for AnyKernel3)
  • kdrag0n (for quite a few useful commits)
  • If your name should be here and it isn't, then replace my camera with a OnePlus 3

Installation instructions:
You can flash this kernel normally in TWRP, LineageOS recovery, or Franco Kernel Manager.

Telegram group:
https://t.me/sultanskernel

Downloads:
Latest kernel

Last edited:

Sultanxda

Recognized Developer
Changelog:

June 16, 2022:
*Fixed rare random reboot into the bootloader when turning on or rebooting the phone sometimes
*Fixed several rare random reboots during normal usage, caused by PREEMPT_RT

Old changelogs:

June 1, 2022:
*Fixed random reboots introduced in the previous build

May 11, 2022:
*Fixed performance regression that worsened GeekBench scores
*Fixed very rare random reboots caused by zRAM
*Fixed potential lags when exiting the camera
*Now built with GCC 12.1 instead of 11.3

May 4, 2022:
*Fixed rare delays of up to 20 seconds when trying to wake the phone from deep sleep
*Improved wake speed when waking the phone while it is entering deep sleep

May 1, 2022:
*Fixed some mistakes related to Pixel Visual Core power management

April 30, 2022:
*Fixed frequent random reboots for users who migrated from Kirisakura
*Removed Android version check from the installer zip
*Fixed random reboots and freezes during deep sleep

April 24, 2022:
*Enabled full real-time preemption (PREEMPT_RT) to make the kernel as responsive and stutter-free as possible
*Optimized several sources of micro-stutters in the kernel
*Switched the deep sleep mode to s2idle, which makes the phone wake up from deep sleep faster
*Improved thermal management by disabling CPU isolation, which was a feature used by the thermal driver that degraded performance while gaming and actually increased heat output
*Improved graphics performance
*Now built with GCC 11.3 instead of 11.1

October 18, 2021:
*Merged September Security Bulletin fixes (October didn't have any kernel changes)
*Improved memory management performance
*Improved system performance while using the camera
*Fixed a regression that caused worsened battery life
*Fixed video calling causing the entire UI to freeze with some apps

August 23, 2021:
*Merged August Security Bulletin fixes

July 25, 2021:
*Fixed front camera not working when using the Social Media Depth feature in Google Camera

July 10, 2021:
*Merged July Security Bulletin fixes
*Now built with GCC 11.1 instead of 10.3
*Improved Simple LMK responsiveness and accuracy, to only kill apps when it's really needed

May 6, 2021:
*Merged May Security Bulletin fixes
*Improved Simple LMK for better memory management (for example, games are less likely to be killed when multitasking while playing)
*Further improved scheduler performance for better overall system performance
*Further improved performance of Unity-based games (such as Genshin Impact)

April 6, 2021:
*Merged April Security Bulletin fixes
*Fixed some apps not working with the previous update

March 21, 2021:
*Improved scheduler performance for better overall system performance
*Improved performance of Unity-based games (such as Genshin Impact)

March 4, 2021:
*Re-enabled BPF JIT compiler to improve gaming and overall system performance

March 1, 2021:
*Merged March Security Bulletin fixes
*Fixed a bug where parts of the screen would erroneously remain dim in some apps
*Improved graphics performance
*Improved storage access latency
*Improved touch latency
*Improved overall system fluidity and power consumption

February 8, 2021:
*Added back missing thermal mitigation drivers to fix overheating

February 6, 2021:
*Merged February Security Bulletin fixes
*Further reduced overall system jitter

January 31, 2021:
*Fixed a bug in the ashmem rewrite that broke some system-wide sound effects

January 30, 2021:
*Added back support for prototype units
*Fixed a scheduler bug that caused random stutters
*Improved overall system fluidity
*Rewrote anonymous shared memory driver (ashmem) for improved graphics performance

January 16, 2021:
*Initial release

Last edited:
Reactions: 2WildFirE

Sultanxda

Recognized Developer
Pixel 4 user here, after flashing your kernel with both ex km, and fkm can't even get past boot and stuck at fastboot menu. Magisk 12.4, Rom : Latest January Update Security Patch

That's weird, there are multiple Pixel 4 users on Telegram that don't have issues with it. Could you get your phone working again and then do the following: reboot, go into developer options, tap bug report, share the bug report via gmail, then email it to sultan@kerneltoast.com. I removed support for prototype versions of Pixel 4 but maybe I removed support for a Pixel 4 variant that's in production.

danielaniq28

That's weird, there are multiple Pixel 4 users on Telegram that don't have issues with it. Could you get your phone working again and then do the following: reboot, go into developer options, tap bug report, share the bug report via gmail, then email it to sultan@kerneltoast.com. I removed support for prototype versions of Pixel 4 but maybe I removed support for a Pixel 4 variant that's in production.
ah yes it's the prototype version/ FTU ones, so there's no way i can probably use your kernel? I'll send the log anyway

Sultanxda

Recognized Developer
ah yes it's the prototype version/ FTU ones, so there's no way i can probably use your kernel? I'll send the log anyway

If I find out what version it is I can just add support back. Do you think I should add back support for all of the different prototypes, or is there only one prototype version circulating around?

Also, how did you even get a prototype?

danielaniq28

If I find out what version it is I can just add support back. Do you think I should add back support for all of the different prototypes, or is there only one prototype version circulating around?

Also, how did you even get a prototype?
Here in Malaysia they sell them at a very cheap price , it lacks the face id part. Idk if it's actually illegal to sell/use them. I've send the logs anyway, my email starts with danielaniq28

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210121-115211.png
    Screenshot_20210121-115211.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 321

ditzah

Aug 18, 2013
I learned that the DP out function has been soft-disabled by Google, even though the USB-C port supports it. Any chance of enabling that in the kernel?

khaledtaleb

Oct 13, 2013
hi, silly question, after flashing, can i lock the bootloader again ? (supposing i temporarily installed TWRP just for flashing) otherwise, any way to get google pay working ? thanks

TENN3R

Dec 6, 2014
Italy
hi, silly question, after flashing, can i lock the bootloader again ? (supposing i temporarily installed TWRP just for flashing) otherwise, any way to get google pay working ? thanks

Usually not a good idea re-locking the bootloader with non-official software.

You can pass safetynet and use google pay with magisk and a couple modules, if you need more info you can take a look at a post I wrote some time ago, should still work fine now.
As of today, there is also a new useful module: universal safetynet fix. I have installed them all, and I can use gpay just fine

khaledtaleb

Oct 13, 2013
Thank you for your answer. however i never managed to install this kernel using TWRP since TWRP only supports android 10, not 11, so recovery got stuck on splash screen. So basically until we get TWRP support for android 11, no other way to install this kernel without root ?

Sultanxda

Recognized Developer
Thank you for your answer. however i never managed to install this kernel using TWRP since TWRP only supports android 10, not 11, so recovery got stuck on splash screen. So basically until we get TWRP support for android 11, no other way to install this kernel without root ?

I've been using LineageOS recovery. Are you on stock?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    /*
    * Your warranty is no longer valid, unless you lie.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, strained relationships,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this kernel
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

This is a no-frills custom kernel for the Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL designed to be used with the stock ROM and custom Android 11 ROMs. It's intended to be a simple replacement for the stock kernel that brings several under-the-hood enhancements. This kernel is not meant to be customized by users.

Changelogs for each update can be found in the 2nd post of this thread.

Features:

• Full real-time preemption (PREEMPT_RT), which makes the kernel as responsive and stutter-free as possible
    • Compiled with GCC 12.1 from the Arch Linux repository
    • Built with Link Time Optimization (LTO) for improved overall kernel performance
    • Built with Dead Code Elimination (DCE) to shrink the kernel's size by removing unused code
    • Removed lots of excessive bloat (improves security and performance)
    • Simple LMK, a custom low memory killer that improves memory management
    • Optimized CPU frequencies and EAS energy model for improved performance and battery life
    • WireGuard, a next generation secure VPN tunnel
    • Passes SafetyNet bootloader unlock check
    • Improved gaming performance
    • Improved overall system fluidity and graphics performance
    • Improved stability
    • Many other miscellaneous improvements not listed here

Source code:
    11.0.0-sultan branch: https://github.com/kerneltoast/android_kernel_google_floral

Credits:
    • zx2c4 (for WireGuard)
    • osm0sis (for AnyKernel3)
    • kdrag0n (for quite a few useful commits)
    • If your name should be here and it isn't, then replace my camera with a OnePlus 3

Installation instructions:
    You can flash this kernel normally in TWRP, LineageOS recovery, or Franco Kernel Manager.

Telegram group:
    https://t.me/sultanskernel

Downloads:
    Latest kernel
    New build is up.
    New build is up! It's technically for Android 11, but I know some who have used my kernel on 12 and 13 without any issues.

This build is a very big update since it brings full real-time preemption, also known as PREEMPT_RT. What this does is essentially make the kernel as responsive as possible, eliminating lots of random stutters that just can't be fixed on normal kernels. I spent about 3 months fixing all the bugs I could find with PREEMPT_RT and then optimizing many drivers in the kernel to further improve overall responsiveness. This should be a very smooth kernel. Enjoy!
    New build is up with August security fixes and some other small esoteric improvements I haven't listed.
    New build is up with more fixes and optimizations relating to deep sleep!