[KERNEL][2.6.35.9][CWM] Custom kernel for the Samsung Galaxy S II stable-r2

Search This thread

RizSher

Oct 26, 2010
Okay! I'm your beta tester then :D Installed it right now.. Will report back :)

+1

Flashed the kernel on VillainRom2.0 which is based on 2,3,4

Initially after the flash, and deleting davlik+cache... the phone just switched it off a couple of times after starting up normally... everyime my heart sank with thoiughts of a permabrick, but restarting it fixed and now its been about 2 hours and no random power offs.

Right.... the blaseted AndroidOSthing is still there.... will charge the phone fully overnight and see how well that perfroms

kalpik

Recognized Contributor
May 19, 2010
Amsterdam
www.kalpik.com
Ok, here's my report.. The battery drain is somewhat better (7% overnight instead of the 10-11% I usually get), but this thing is lagging like CRAZY! Installing apps literally takes 5 minutes! No reboots for me (so far).

Gonna go back to CF-Root for now..

umair9001

Mar 21, 2010
Doha
www.facebook.com
On Cognition 1.11, and the battery drained from 42% to 0 in around 4 hours of standby..Android OS and Display seems to be the major reason..

For some reason the phone had a green bar instead of its usual yellow bar in the battery usage..also the screen seems to be awake even though it was in standby..

1skxoi.png

Last edited:

python08

Retired Recognized Developer
May 28, 2010
Made a clean install of official XXKG1, wiped cache, dalvik-cache and battery-stats, then flashed the kernel (stable-r2)
battery-life.png

No random reboots.

RizSher

Oct 26, 2010
Made a clean install of official XXKG1, wiped cache, dalvik-cache and battery-stats, then flashed the kernel (stable-r2)
battery-life.png

No random reboots.

Had done a clean install (same steps as you) with (stable-r2) and VillainRom2.0. Worked wonderfully - battery usage 3.33-4% hour on a mix of wifi/3g, facebook/whatsapp/tango in the background, 2 exchange accounts (one on touchdown, the other one the stock samsung mail client, both configured for push), some phone calls.

However, noticed the phone rebooting randomely, not very frequently, but every few hours. So, flash XXKG1 on top of the stable-r2 - battery isn't as good approx 6%/hour currently, but, haven't noticed any random reboots yet.

saifbechan

Jul 19, 2010
Den-Haag
www.saifbechan.com
+1

Flashed the kernel on VillainRom2.0 which is based on 2,3,4

Initially after the flash, and deleting davlik+cache... the phone just switched it off a couple of times after starting up normally... everyime my heart sank with thoiughts of a permabrick, but restarting it fixed and now its been about 2 hours and no random power offs.

Right.... the blaseted AndroidOSthing is still there.... will charge the phone fully overnight and see how well that perfroms

permabrick? What is that exactly. Can you brick your phone in such a way that it won't even boot with a JIG?

RizSher

Oct 26, 2010

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    About
    This kernel is built from Samsung's official sources (available on github thanks to supercurio). It's clean, fast and it aims to be stable.
    Please note that this kernel won't root your device automatically but you will be able to remount /system as r/w and then push Superuser apk and binary.
    This kernel should work with any european ROM.

Features
    ClockworkMod recovery 4.0.0.8
    Stable Linux kernel 2.6.35.x (currently .9)
    Deadline I/O scheduler tweaked for flash usage
    SLQB slab allocator
    /system/etc/init.d scripts support
    "Insecure" mode
    Some other tweaks and improvements

Download
    Please remember that I'm not responsible of any damage caused to your phone.

gt-i9100_kernel-stable-r2.zip
    md5 checksum: 5d8aa55604ef25de6cf8910337bc4365

Installation
    Flash the .zip with Odin or the zImage with heimdall (heimdall flash --kernel /path/to/zImage).
    I advice you to wipe cache, dalvik-cache and battery stats between updates.
    Also, you should notice a better battery life after a full charging cycle.

Sources
    All sources are available on my github

Credits
    For a list of all contributors, look at the git repo. Special thanks to supercurio, netarchy and teamhacksung.

CHANGELOG

* stable-r2 : *Should* be compatible with leaked 2.3.4 and fix random reboots
    Updated ClockworkMod Recovery to blue-themed version 4.0.0.8 (thanks to codeworkx)

* stable-r1 : Stable release (Linux 2.6.35.9)
    This version fixes the battery drain (at least for me)
    Removed CIFS support and interactive governor
    Rebuilt with a newer toolchain

==========================================
    OLDER RELEASES
    ==========================================

* r4 : Removed autogroup patch
    Optional interactive governor

* r3 : Removed *buggy* interactive governor
    SLQB instead of SLUB
    Rebuilt with the toolchain recommended by Samsung
    Small tweak to ondemand governor and to readahead
    Upstream fixes

* r2 : Added ClockworkMod recovery
    Fixed battery drain
    Sleep of death patch
    Interactive governor adjustments
    Compiler optimizations
    Misc fixes

* r1 : First release
    Stable-r2 is out.
    Nice release.
    In your git repo, you posted that this kernel build includes BacklightNotification. Has this been confirmed working by you with BLN control?

It won't work with BLN Control app because, as we can't modify liblights, we need to manage blinking at kernel-level.
    I'm working on it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App
    I've just uploaded a r4 built on Linux 2.6.35.7
    Please test and let me know if it's of any help for battery life :) (Thank you ownhere for the advice).
    Download here
    r2 is out! More details in the first post :)
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone