• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Kernel][21.10.2021][4.9.278][Android 12]Kirisakura_S 4.0.0 for Pixel 3/XL aka Bluecross

Search This thread

Freak07

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
Should work fine, the latest version is built with August update and works fine in September update.

EDIT: Well... the new update has a new kernel, actually. So I don't know. Testing now.

Freak07, your last kernel built against August tree is android-11.0.0_r40 (RQ3A.210805.001.A1) but the new RQ3A.211001.001 October update is built against r46.

But.... checking https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/msm/+refs - the latest tag for crosshatch is still qpr3 from August. So maybe only some modules were updated, checking that now (takes a while to download sources with history).
I don´t see any new tags pushed for october yet:

Reactions: dnsmo and CosmicDan

CosmicDan

Jun 19, 2009
Sydney
Google Pixel 3 XL
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
So I have a request...

...I notice you have this change: https://github.com/freak07/Kirisaku...17299ece0a2c40c2e256bbcb39741d5e2ce9dc0c7832f

This breaks DSU support, sadly - it still looks for /dev/fs/f2fs/dm-X/features (where X represents userdata mapping) when trying to make a userdata image.

Is this something that can be fixed on your end? It seems a bit weird to "block Android" from seeing it... but I guess this is a necessary hack to avoid ROM's needing modification, right? Is there something you can do to just create a "features" node at /f2fs/ maybe...? I can't symlink or anything in /sys/ heh....

Or am I better off modifying a ROM to do an extra check? I can't find where though, looks like I needs to trace back to init first stage mount.... it may need API changes due to separation of concerns between DSU loading and the dm.

...anyway I only ask because I am a huge fan of your kernel, 1000% better than stock. Amazed at how bad stock kernel is tbh lol. I will regrettably have to switch back to stock (or try another kernel without this change) while I'm working on my DSU front-end. Perhaps this RapidGC tweak is one of the things that makes your kernel run so much slicker than stock though....

I don't know what to do, I'm not too experienced with the internals!

Let me know if there's any idea at all you have to help, would appreciate it!

deusfaux

Dec 12, 2010
is this custom kernel still needed to fix the "f2fs-stable bug" from using the systemless hosts module in magisk? or was it was fixed in Android 12 / by now

Last edited:

Freak07

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
Update to 4.0.0_S

Hey guys and girls,

I hope everybody had a good week so far. Android 12 stable dropped and here´s the kernel update for stable A12! :)

Other changes please check the changelog and/or github.

I wish everybody a great day.
Enjoy the device and the kernel, because I certainly do

Just in case:
If you face issues or bugs when running the kernel, please return to a stock environment, only your rom plus magisk root, without any modules, scripts, tweaks or mods and see if you can reproduce the issue.
Tell me the exact steps needed to reproduce.
Then send me a dmesg and a logcat (if the kernel crashes not) or a ramoops (in case the device reboots). Take a look at the second post for a guide on how to obtain these.

My kernel.zip flashes both boot.img and dtbo.img. So if you want to return to stock, you need to extract both from factory image and flash them via fastboot if on stock rom.
If you’re on a custom rom you will need to dirty flash your custom rom or learn how to extract both images from a payload.bin

Special thanks to @jcmm11 and @melgar for testing and keeping up with me!

Changelog:
- Stable Android 12 Source drop merged
- bump clang to 13.0.1
- updated ak3.zip

Important :)
All flashing errors are now fixed. If you experience the ramdisk error please take a look at the FAQ.

Have fun flashing and enjoy your device with latest linux-stable :)

Why is linux-stable important?

Download is below :)

Download:
How to flash the Kernel:

1. Make sure you are rooted, are using the latest magisk suited for your OS version and a kernel manager capable of flashing a zip is installed. If available you can use TWRP as well. Download the kernel.zip to your device.

2. Flash kernel.zip via your favorite method. Kernel Managers and Recoveries need to be updated to work with a specific Android Version. It's your job to ensure compatibility! :) Root will be preserved! (Make sure to be on the latest firmware the kernel is made for)

3. Reboot and profit! Before reporting any issues make sure to read the first three posts of this thread!

Instructions can be found in the OP too!

Have fun, enjoy the kernel and your phone.

Donations are not mandatory but very welcome.
If you like my work and want to buy me a coffee/green tea to keep the development going: http://paypal.me/freak07

deusfaux

Dec 12, 2010
Thanks freak. Did the f2fs bug ever get fixed or is a kernel like yours still necessary to address it?

deusfaux

Dec 12, 2010
This applies to the Pixel 3/XL as well? Returning to stock then OTA update to Android 12 will result in problems attempting to re-root?

I didn't see anything mentioning this in your guide https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/guide-root-pixel-3-xl-android-12-s.4160447/ unless you count the general advice to do a clean wipe between major versions (but it's never been necessary in my experience)

Homeboy76

Aug 24, 2012

Top Liked Posts