Development [Kernel][06.03.2024][Android 14.0.0 Stable]Kirisakura_Raviantah 2.2.0 for Pixel 7/Pro aka "Pantah"

Are you interested in a magisk module introducing a so called summer mode(explanation in the thread)

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Search This thread

Pretty sure the March Update is the cause of what seems like faster battery drain. Whenever this happens, like now, it' s always System_Server that is the biggest culprit. Watching it now, it's jumping from 7%-14%. No other app uses more than 2% and those are rare.

I'm not a Kernel guy, but that's not Kernel related

Freak07

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
Ah. Good point @Freak07. It maybe the Universal SafetyNet mod I have installed.
Nah I use that mod and I still have it as well.
There are several versions of this module floating around in different channel/places and some of them screw up model detection.

It's also possible that at a specific point in the past model detection was screwed up and play services/device personalization services got screwed up during that time and now remain screwed up, even though the module/mod that caused it is removed by now.

Either way it's not kernel related 👍

Same here. Still sticking with 1.0.0. I want to enjoy the F2FS driver updates 🙃
And that's exactly why
That's ultimately your own decision. :)

However everyone is advised to update to 1.0.1. The npe is on the log and it can happen to anyone at any time. (Even though very rarely)

Pretty sure the March Update is the cause of what seems like faster battery drain. Whenever this happens, like now, it' s always System_Server that is the biggest culprit. Watching it now, it's jumping from 7%-14%. No other app uses more than 2% and those are rare.

I'm not a Kernel guy, but that's not Kernel related
I think that's still fine/fineish depending on what the phone is doing in background. System_server is just a placeholder for a lot of framework stuff, and sometimes the values for CPU-share are a bit "treacherous".
I mainly use top-command to see if something is stuck/hogging the CPU.

But you're right, those battery issues are usually not kernel related. :)

Pixel86

Aug 6, 2021
There are several versions of this module floating around in different channel/places and some of them screw up model detection.

It's also possible that at a specific point in the past model detection was screwed up and play services/device personalization services got screwed up during that time and now remain screwed up, even though the module/mod that caused it is removed by now.

Either way it's not kernel related 👍
@Freak07 Wanted to follow up on this. I performed a factory reset and Clear Calling came back (this is with running v1.0.1 + Panther Magisk Mod + Universal SafetyNet Mod). Very odd. All working great now 👍

Reactions: Freak07
No, don´t remove the powerhint module. Kernel and module are meant to be run together.

There´s no reason the kernel would run hotter than the stock kernel or overheat if you´re not pushing the phone by gaming or other intensive tasks. In fact it runs cooler due to the PMU limiting.
That said the kernel won´t magically disable physics. If your ambient temp is 30°C the phone will run a lot warmer than on 20°C ambient temp.

Sounds to me like you´re either using a mods that´s conflicting or an app/service is stuck and is constantly requesting resources, which leads to your situation.
The other mod you´re using won´t solve whatever is causing your phone to overheat. It will just lower the threshold for thermal throttling to kick in.

What might help you:
Check cpu usage with top command. Go to terminal or connect via adb shell, grant su rights, type "top" without the "". Rotate the phone to landscape and check if an app is constantly on top.
I´ll attach an example of how it looks on my end.
If an app like facebook, instagram etc is constantly on top eating more than 10% in the CPU section you might have found the issue.

View attachment 5870833

If top command doesn´t help, check the logcat. If an app is spamming constantly multiple errors per second you might know what´s up.

Ultimately even simple things like adblocking can cause those issues. I once run into an issue, where an app tried to access a location that was being blocked by adaway. Instead of quitting after some time the app just tried over and over, which put a lot of load on the CPU and broke deepsleep.
I'm convinced the problem was entirely on my end, as suspected. My phone started boot-looping this morning and I ultimately had to re-flash the March update, patched init_boot, and then the kernel+module again. It's been doing great since then, running at 29 degrees and 6% active drain so far today (it's been a lighter use day, though).

Unfortunately I didn't get the opportunity to further investigate what was causing the earlier issues, but if they return I know what to look for now. Thanks!

Reactions: Freak07

venezia64

Jan 12, 2008
I remember reading that the DP Alt mode had been disabled in the kernel by Google. Curious to know if this kernel managed to unlock that feature or if it's even feasible.

Edit: Just saw this message from last November but maybe there's been some new developments since then?

Last edited:

Josh

Sep 27, 2014
Split
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Hello guys I have question to be sure to flash kernel on unlocked Pixel 7 pro TQ2A.230305.008.C1 build unlocked without problems. Sorry if someone already asked and answer. First needed vbmeta flags for verity/verification disabled? If yes what is the simple way to disable it? Readed proces after that what is required for flash kernel, unlocked phone stable magisk and if someone get tips to flash it without pain thanks.

Hello guys I have question to be sure to flash kernel on unlocked Pixel 7 pro TQ2A.230305.008.C1 build unlocked without problems. Sorry if someone already asked and answer. First needed vbmeta flags for verity/verification disabled? If yes what is the simple way to disable it? Readed proces after that what is required for flash kernel, unlocked phone stable magisk and if someone get tips to flash it without pain thanks.
You'll need to flash vbmeta with the disable verity and disable verification flags:
Code:
fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta vbmeta.img
This will wipe your device, but it's required to flash any custom kernel.

Then each time you update you'll need to include those two options in your flash commands to keep verity and verification disabled. You can find more info in the "How To Guides" in this forum.

Freak07

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
is the battery problem actually a problem with the kernel (Stock) or is Android 13 the problem?
there´s no kernel problem regarding battery. I also don´t have a problem regarding battery on A13 in general.

Battery life issues can be very individual due to installed apps, the setup of the device etc.

There are a few threads on the pixel 7 pro forums on XDA about the subject, you might want to check those out. Maybe you´ll find something helpful there.
But in here it´s off-topic as it´s not really related to development of this project.

i readed this post, of course , but how is real difference are between this kernels? better sot or ... what? i had phones Samsung and I don't know how are difrence .
Setups vary a lot between users. So if user A tells you SOT improved, while it stays the same for user B how would that help you?

The first post contains a lot of information. I personally think it´s one of the most detailed and documented first posts that are around on XDA.
If nothing in the first post does spark interest on your side then there´s no reason for you to try the kernel.

thefinger

Jul 24, 2012
Realme C15
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Battery is just fine on latest 1.0.1 and Android version. 16H off charging, 4 1/2 hours SOT, 2 of those on GPS + Spotify with signal jumping from 5G to LTE and back. Still at 52% as I type this. Adaptive connectivity ON ... I know ... Shocking 😄 but testing 5G on a new SIM I got this week.
Just fine.

Top Liked Posts

Hey @Freak07, I'm having this weird issue since the March update. Someone in the main P7P thread said it went back to normal when using the stock kernel. Would you mind taking a look please? If you need logs or something, let me know.
    please try this zip and let me know if that does anything on your end :)
    This one doesn't have that issue. Boots fine after flashing without that glitch. Will keep testing for a couple of days and report back if that changes.

@Ghisy FYI.
    It doesn't for me. I had the same issue rebooting after flashing. I'll try to reboot a few times to see if this keeps happening. @Freak07

Edit: I tried rebooting several times but it only booted properly once. So something weird is still going on... 😔
    Update to Raviantha 2.2.0

Hey guys and girls,

So there´s one month with a QPR bump, where I´m not at home with no real access to internet or time to check the kernel at all and what happens... all hell breaks loose. :)
    This month served as a good example why it´s not a good idea to flash kernels made for different firmware on a new firmware.
    Rule of thumb: From stable to beta is not a good idea. (qpr ) If one month is a QPR release. From stable to dev preview etc.

Anyway here´s the next update. It includes the updates for Android 14 QPR2 March update! Make sure to update to March stable firmware before flashing!
    I´ll keep this post and the changelog short because I don´t have much time.

Since the powerhint module is now unified it makes sense to include it to the kernel.zip. This means there´s no separate zip to flash any longer. After flashing the kernel.zip you´ll see a module called AK3 Helper Module in Magisk Manager. Do not delete this module, it´s crucial for the device to boot/work!

This means if you want to switch kernels, go back to stock kernel or dirty/flash a new firmware be sure to remove the AK3 Helper Module in Magisk Manager before restoring or flashing another kernel or firmware!
    I also adjusted the FAQ! You have been warned. ;)

Important:

Please note that this release is not for the QPR Beta firmware or dev preview, but the stable android 14 firmware!
    Please make use magisk stable if you don´t know your way around bugs and don´t want to actively help debugging magisk development.
    You should download magisk stable only from official magisk release site!

There are other small improvements as well. Please check my github for those.

The kernel is made for stable A14 firmware, not beta.

I wish everyone a nice day.

Changelog:

- Update source to Android 14 QPR2 March
    - linux stable to 5.10.209
    - compiled with latest aosp clang 18
    - more changes please look at my github

Download:
    Attached to release post as AFH is currently down.

Delete the old powerhint module in Magisk Manager before flashing the new one as the Module ID changes!

If you´re coming from another kernel restore stock boot.img, dtbo.img, vendor_kernel_boot.img and vendor_dlkm.img before flashing. Thank you.

Make sure to meet the requirements and read the OP as well as the FAQ before flashing.

I wish everybody a great day/evening!
    Have fun, enjoy the kernel and your phone.

If you like my work please consider a donation.
    Donations are not mandatory but very welcome.
    If you like my work and want to buy me a coffee/green tea: http://paypal.me/freak07
    Yeah def dont flash on march update :p thats all i gotta say learned hard way just didnt pay any attention oh well just root till next update, funny you can do something for 10 years and still be stupid at it
    Thread cleaned.

Greetings to all. I've cleaned the thread of the recent speculations and accusations so as to kep things polite and "on topic."
    While I realize that posts can be misconstrued, all we ask is that you either respond to each other politely and with respect, or simply report posts that you think
    are violating the Forum Rules, and leave it at that.

Your cooperation and understanding are appreciated. Thank you

-Best regards: Badger50
    You should never flash a kernel made for a previous quarterly set of releases unless you are told to. Each quarterly release has more changes than a monthly release. So basically each kernel is possibly good for around 3 releases. So the upcoming March release will likely work for April and May but then likely won't work for June. But it's possible the monthly changes within a quarterly set of releases will make the upcoming march release not work on April and/or May.

There might be times when a previous quarterly release kernel works on the next but you should not expect it to work nor report it like an issue when you don't understand that.

NONE OF THIS IS NEW INFORMATION.
    The kernel is unified and the same for both Pixels but there was changes for the March update that have to be integrated. It's usually good practice not to flash a new update until the kernel has been updated. Especially with feature drops or updates with lots of changes.
    Kirisakura-Kernel for the Pixel 7/Pro

Hello everyone,

To keep it short: Here is Kirisakura - Kernel for the Google Pixel 7 Pro aka Cheetah and the Pixel 7 aka Panther, together Pantah.
    I would appreciate if everybody that flashes the kernel, reads at least once through this opening post and the following ones.

The kernel aims to keep most of the subsystems updated, way ahead of the stock kernel, thereby improving security, stability and performance!
    This includes Linux-Stable, F2FS-Stable and kernel/common!
    If that got you curious, have a read about linux-stable and why it is important here. The stable-process is not the same for every subsystem, but the general idea, rule of thumb and benefits are applicable for other subsystems as well.
    By merging linux-stable regularly we get most security updates months ahead of the stock kernel and also before they even end up in the android security bulletin.

The kernel includes a lot of improvements and contributions from other developers as well. Without those contributtion this kernel would not exist as it is.
    A big part of improvements originate from @arter97´s, @kdrag0n´s and @Sultanxda´s work. Many others contributed in some way or another to this kernel.
    A big thanks to all of them at this place!

Now lets continue with a list of features in the next paragraph!

Features:
    Main Features:
    - Based on latest A14 kernel sources from Google, Kernel is made for Android 14 Stable
    - Linux-Stable-Upstream included to 5.10.209
    - Compiled with prebuilt Google clang 18.0.0
    - EEVDF scheduler patches
    - lockless slab shrinker
    - Backport entire RCU subsystem to latest linux
    - Lazy RCU which should result in power-savings while the device is lightly-loaded or idling, more information here
    - Backport Maple tree from Linux 6.1
    - improve preallocations from maple tree (affects especially android)
    - reduce necessity to rewalk the maple tree
    - Per VMA-locks in conjunction with Maple Tree RCU-Mode (improve app launch time, this feature in general benefits greatly from lazy rcu!)
    - further improve maple tree/per-vma locks introduced in an earlier release
    - Dynamic Energy Models depending on device state
    - make TEO-Cpuidle util-aware (improves latency, performance and decreases energy consumption for certain workloads, more information here)
    - introduce runnable boosting, wire it up with pixel_sched
    - improve CPU throttling behaviour
    - improvements to uclamp, prevent capacity inversion (reduce missed frames)
    - greatly speed up camera launch time!
    - merged kernel/common (improvements to android-common-kernel straight from google)
    - MM subsystem reworked (more info and some patchsets linked in this post)
    - Multi-gen LRU backported/reworked and enabled (more info here, here as well and here) to improve mm and reduce cpu cycles, latest V15 state (current state disabled, as google remotely controls the prop)
    - pelt multiplier tied into powerhal to speed up scheduler during interaction (more info here)
    - prevent frequency spikes caused by small transient tasks when the device is idle(more info here)
    - tie mechanism to prevent frequency spikes caused by small tasks also into powerhal
    - scheduler improvements for RT (realtime) tasks
    - introduce and setup PMU limiter (prevents CPU from spiking to max when it isn´t needed, based on PMU reads, more information here)
    - improve camera performance by tuning the powerhal during recording
    - bias tasks of rt, sf and ta groups to prefer high capacity cpus during app launches, interactions
    - improve app launches via powerhal
    - restrict maximum CPU-Freqs during screen off/ idle to 1.4GHZ for all clusters to save power
    - introduce unfair f2fs rwsems to prevent writer starvation and improve IO perf under heavy load
    - fuse: give wakeup hints to scheduler to speed up compress/decompress in internal storage (details)
    - enable RCU_BOOST (details here), also fix RCU_BOOST behaviour
    - F2FS-Stable updated
    - merge and enable f2fs block_age-based extent cache (improve the accuracy for data temperature classification, reduce the garbage collection overhead after long-term data updates)
    - TCP backports from mainline
    - SSG IO scheduler for reduced overhead and less CPU cycles (more lightweight and android optimized)
    - scheduler backports from linux-main
    - mm updates from linux-main
    - locking updates frm linux-main
    - improve memory performance by tweaking google´s eh zram implementation
    - fix sysfs endpoint for googles eh zram
    - affine IRQS to CPU 7 during camera usage for improved performance as it tends to overload the little cores
    - use bbr as default TCP congestion algorithm (fasted algo according to this excellent research from @kdrag0n found here )
    - include bbrv2 from google, more info here
    - Enable support for TTL spoofing
    - important patches from kernel/common for 5.10 (here are more details)
    - increase priority of GPU work
    - several updates from QPR beta, and a few from Pixel 6 that googles missed to include in the pixel 7 kernel
    - improve thermals
    - change compaction proactiveness based on device state for improveed memory management
    - improve ZRAM usage
    - reduce overhead

- improve performance and efficiency by properly wiring up pixel_sched with teo util awareness (thanks @ada12 for spotting this!)
    - update to cpuset/cgroup subsystem (speeds up camera launches, device unlocks etc as cpusets are switched on those conditions, patches reduce overhead in those conditions)
    - flashing the kernel will preserve root

CleanSlate Features
    - CleanSlate Features from @tbalden, big applause here! (s2s, notification booster, battery saver, flashlight notifications. Please note: cleanslate features that work otherwise with rooted devices like kadaway (adblocking) are not implemented on this kernel since I´m running rooted)
    - Check the CleanSlate thread for more information about those features
    - The CleanSlate thread also contains the apps that allows you to control those features!
    - If you consider those features useful, maybe consider purchasing the apps in the PlayStore or a small donation to @tbalden, he deserves it! Don´t forget to switch to beta channel for those apps, as this is needed for device running A13!

Various Optimizations:
    - update several drivers to use power efficient workingqueues (for example wlan driver)
    - f2fs: reduce timeout for uncongestion
    - f2fs: Demote GC thread to idle scheduler class
    - f2fs: set ioprio of GC kthread to idle
    - tcp: enable advanced tcp, give user more options for tcp alorithm
    - mm: vmstat: use power efficient workingqueues
    Wakelock Blocker:
    - advanced wakelock blocker with the ability to block kernel wakelocks (dangerous, use with caution, please read this for further info). You should only block kernel wakelocks in case you face uncontrollable scenarios, like company wifi causing a wakelock to be active 100% of the time! Blocking kernel wakelocks to "improve" battery life almost always backfires and causes issues!

Powerhint Module:
    - restrict little cluster to 1,4ghz mid cluster to 1,4ghz and big cluster to 1,4ghz during screen off, to reduce battery usage for example during music playback
    - only use little cores during screen off/device suspend
    - account for scheduler and other changes done to the kernel
    - boost memory interface controller during interaction (decreased missed frames, improved soc efficiency according to google docs)
    - tie pelt multiplier into the powerhal (more info here)
    - prevent frequency spikes caused by small transient tasks during idle operation (more info here)
    - boost scheduler using the pelt multiplier during fingerprint unlock operation
    - setup and control PMU limiter via powerhal (more info here)
    - switch between default and custom idle energy model on device is being interacted with / device idle.
    - reduce missed frames during scrolling/device interaction by adjusting uclamp boosts
    - dynamically adjust target load for memory interface during interaction.
    - remove dynamic GPU policy change as it´s causing instability and is unneeded due to GVFS period
    - implement handling during video recording of CPU like Google did on QPR A13
    - more small improvements

DOWNLOAD:
    Downloads are attached to the release posts linked below in the changelog section.

Please note that androidfilehost is currently not working properly.
    Link to AFH:
    Deprecated afh download, still here for old releases:

Changelog:
    Android 13.0.0 Stable (not QPR beta!)

1.0.0 Initial Release | Mirror for Download in case AFH is not working
    1.1.0 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-24-1...-pixel-7-pro-aka-pantah.4509795/post-87743627
    1.2.0 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-18-1...-pixel-7-pro-aka-pantah.4509795/post-87822161
    1.2.1 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-06-1...-pixel-7-pro-aka-pantah.4509795/post-87878321
    1.2.2 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-19-1...-pixel-7-pro-aka-pantah.4509795/post-87944505
    1.2.3 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-04-0...-pixel-7-pro-aka-pantah.4509795/post-87960183
    1.2.4 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-07-0...-pixel-7-pro-aka-pantah.4509795/post-88108123
    1.3.0 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-07-0...-pixel-7-pro-aka-pantah.4509795/post-88286027
    Raviantah_1.0.0 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-14-0...-pixel-7-pro-aka-pantah.4509795/post-88316285
    Raviantah_1.0.1 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-21-0...-pixel-7-pro-aka-pantah.4509795/post-88323527
    Raviantah_1.0.2 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-23-0...-pixel-7-pro-aka-pantah.4509795/post-88399915
    Raviantah_1.0.4 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-11-0...-pixel-7-pro-aka-pantah.4509795/post-88497279
    Raviantah_1.1.0 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-04-0...-pixel-7-pro-aka-pantah.4509795/post-88645103
    Raviantah_1.1.2 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-14-0...-pixel-7-pro-aka-pantah.4509795/post-88719667
    Raviantah_1.1.3 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-06-0...-pixel-7-pro-aka-pantah.4509795/post-88847285
    Raviantah_1.1.4 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-08-0...-pixel-7-pro-aka-pantah.4509795/post-88866285
    Raviantah_1.1.5 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-12-0...-pixel-7-pro-aka-pantah.4509795/post-89038079
    Raviantah_1.1.6 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-23-0...-pixel-7-pro-aka-pantah.4509795/post-89079103
    Raviantah_2.0.0 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-03-1...-pixel-7-pro-aka-pantah.4509795/post-89085294
    Raviantah_2.0.2 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-06-1...-pixel-7-pro-aka-pantah.4509795/post-89149195
    Raviantah_2.1.0 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-08-1...-pixel-7-pro-aka-pantah.4509795/post-89205141
    Raviantah_2.2.0 https://xdaforums.com/t/kernel-07-1...-pixel-7-pro-aka-pantah.4509795/post-89384467

Requirements

- vbmeta flags for verity/verification disabled (this requires a wipe if you´re coming from stock with those flags enabled), check the FAQ for information on how to do this -> not required starting from Raviantah 2.0.0
    - unlocked Bootloader
    - USB-Debugging in developer options enabled
    - latest adb and fastboot binaries
    - working adb and fastboot environment so you can flash back to stock in case something goes wrong
    - working magisk environment (a device rooted with latest magisk, use stable in case you want to be absolutely safe)
    - IMPORTANT: Unrelated to the kernel, but update both slots of your phone to A13 before you flash anything to your device!
    - it´s handy to have a backup and a way to return back to stock (check the faq for that)
    - make sure to download the correct kernel version for your firmware. (you can´t flash a kernel made for stable firmware on a QPR beta or dev preview and expect there to be no isses, the release posts mention which firmware the respective kernel releases are compiled for)
    - this kernel is tested on stock google firmware. If you want to use it on custom roms you´re kind of on your own as I can´t account and give support for any changes custom roms apply that could render the kernel incompatible. (e.g. if you´re custom rom is still on the previous months update, there may be issues flashing an updated kernel for the next month on top or custom roms requiring specific kernel changes to work correctly )
    - it´s always best to start on stock images and don´t have another custom kernel flashed when flashing this kernel for the first time. consecutive flashes can just be installed on top, if not I´ll mention it in the release post
    - read the first and second post, there's a lot of valuable information

How to flash the Kernel:
    1a. Make sure you tick all the requirements above
    1b. Make sure to flash the release made for your firmware! Usually the release post contains information on that

1. Download the kernel.zip (unified for both devices) and the correct powerhint module depending on your device (Pixel 7 = panther || Pixel 7 Pro = cheetah, starting from raviantah 2.0.0 the module is unified ) no longer necessary since Raviantah 2.0.2
    2. Flash the powerhint module via magisk manager as you would any other magisk module! Make sure to flash the latest one. It will be mentioned in the release post if there´s an update. No longer necessary since Raviantah 2.0.2
    Make sure to remove all previous installed powerhint modules before flashing Raviantah 2.0.2 and later
    3. Flash the kernel.zip via EXKM, FKM or kernel flasher. Root will be preserved.
    4. Reboot and profit.

Donations:
    Donations are not mandatory but very welcome if you want to support development or just buy me a coffee/tea/beer :)
    If you like my work: http://paypal.me/freak07

Credits:
    @osm0sis for all his work on AK3.
    @tbalden for being the best HTC, Pixel, OnePlus and Asus wingman!
    @capntrips for all his work on the pixels, avb, hashtree patcher, the counsel and the kernel flasher!
    @LeeDroid and @mwilky for their awesome roms and work I used on multiple devices!
    @Captain_Throwback for all the mentoring and guidance!
    @Eliminater74 for bringing me into the game and the Inspiration
    @nathanchance for his upstream guidance and assistance
    @RenderBroken for helping me out
    @flar2 for all his work
    @joshuous for all the help he provided to me in the past!
    @arter97 for giving me advice
    @kdrag0n for his help and advices!
    @topjohnwu for magisk and his entire work!

Source Code: https://github.com/freak07
    Update to 1.2.4

Hey guys and girls,

So here´s the next release. February source did basically not contain anything new for this kernel (as all patches were already included since months due to merging linux-stable and kernel/common in advance) except a stability and a security fix for the GPU driver (which is vendor specific so of course not impacted by linux-stable etc).
    Nonetheless this is a very big release with large underlying changes.
    Short explanation follows below.

Please note that this release is not for the QPR Beta firmware, but the stable android 13 firmware!
    Make sure to update/flash the new powerhint module attached to this post via magisk manager as it´s been updated!

Maple Tree / Per VMA-locks via Maple Tree in RCU-Mode
    Linux 6.1 finally merged the Maple Tree patchset. I had my eyes on that patchset for quite a while now. I backported it a few months ago (back in november iirc) but at that time I still ran into a few problems with it so it never made it into a release on XDA.
    However after discovering work done on per vma-locks, which builds directly on the benefits that maple-tree provides interest was sparked again. Decided to pull it in again and fix the remaining issues.
    If you´re interested in details read the linked topics.
    Basically those patches reduce app launch time as well as lock contention. Additionally per vma-locks directly utilizes lazy-rcu, which was backported in 1.1.0. Usually I´m very hesitant when it comes to kernel changes actually translating to real world power consumption improvements, but lazy-rcu is one of the few patchsets that translate to a small improvement for everyone regardless of the usage.
    So the new per VMA-lock patchset directly benefits from the previous backport of lazy-rcu.
    App launch times in ms for cold launching slack app with and without the Per-VMA lock patchset:
    1675766626796.png

F2FS block_age-based extent cache
    Latest f2fs-stable update contained an interesting new feature called block_age-based extent cache. It´s another optimization done in hindsight to android needs. It´s always nice to see different OEMs (in this regards xiaomi) cooperating and improving android as a whole and not just keep those patches to themselves. Since it´s pushed to f2fs-stable it will sooner or later (probably rather later as trickling through until it ends up on actual production devices always takes a lot of time) find its way to the majority of android devices.
    The features allows to record data block update frequency of the extent per inode, in order to provide better temperature hints for data block allocation thereby improving the accuracy for data temperature classification and reducing the garbage collection overhead after long-term data updates.

Memory Interface Controller Boosting
    Boost Memory Interface Controller slightly to a fixed min_freq value during interaction, instead of relying solely on the governor taking the decision as it doesn´t ramp up fast enough during interaction in some cases.
    Research of exynos/tensor characteristic shows that the SOC does not perform optimally when cpu freqs ramp up quickly (during interaction, scrolling, touch the screen) and memory interface controller not following suite quite fast enough. This makes the soc overall perform less efficient. The boost aims to correct this behavior.
    The boost also results in a tiny few less missed frames during interaction as a bonus.

The kernel is made for stable A13 firmware, not beta.

Changelog:

- Linux-Stable bumped to 5.10.167
    - Backport Maple tree from Linux 6.1
    - Per VMA-locks in conjunction with Maple Tree RCU-Mode (this benefits greatly from lazy rcu!)
    - bump f2fs to latest f2f2 stable state
    - merge and enable f2fs block_age-based extent cache (improve the accuracy for data temperature classification, reduce the garbage collection overhead after long-term data updates)
    - improvements to the scheduler from QPR2 Beta 2 and Beta 3
    - improvements to memory management from QPR2 Beta 2
    - improve ZRAM usage
    - boost memory interface controller during interaction (decreased missed frames, improved soc efficiency according to google docs)
    - import security fixes and performance improvments to camera driver from QPR2 Beta
    - fixes/improvements to to memory management
    - security fixes/ improvements from kernel/common
    - other fixes please check github

Download:

Make sure to update and keep the powerhint module installed via Magisk Manager!

If you´re coming from another kernel restore stock boot.img, dtbo.img, vendor_kernel_boot.img and vendor_dlkm.img before flashing. Thank you.

Make sure to meet the requirements and read the OP as well as the FAQ before flashing.

If you like my work and want to buy me a coffee/green tea: http://paypal.me/freak07
    Update to 1.2.1

Hey guys and girls,

So here´s the next release. As already hinted it includes some of the kernel changes from the QPR2 Beta. Please note the kernel is made for the stable firmware! You need to be on December stable firmware release to be able to install and run this kernel properly!
    Make sure to flash both, the kernel.zip and the powerhint magisk module as both are updated.

Google did some significant updates in that latest qpr2 update, which is great to see.

The GPU driver is now based on version r38p1. This fixes several vulnerabilities that made the news recently.

AOC driver and WiFi driver were also updated and most of those improvements ended up in this kernel release as well.
    There were several improvements to memory management done by google, which should result in improved efficiency, improved reclaim and also reduced jank.
    There are a few other nice patches that should improve performance and generally improve system responsiveness. For specifics please check those on github. :)

Scheduler patches from linux-main are also included.
    The lazy rcu patchset was updated to the latest state that was also recently merged into the linux kernel. (more info about lazy rcu check here)

Kernel is now compiled with latest 16.0.2 prebuilt Clang from Google.

Changelog:

- Linux-Stable bumped to 5.10.159
    - Bump prebuilt clang to latest 16.0.2 from Google
    - include most of the QPR2 improvements so we can enjoy them ahead of time
    - fixes/improvements to to memory management
    - import all improvments from google QPR2 to powerhint module

Download:
    I´ll push to AFH once it´s back up.

Make sure to update the powerhint module via Magisk Manager!

Update to Raviantha 1.0.4

Hey guys and girls,

So here´s the next release for stable May firmware! (although technically it should still work on April as there were no changes that weren´t already present.)
    This release is not including the bigger changes I was alluding to during my last post in this thread, but it still includes some big improvements that warrant a new release. :)
    More information below.

Important:

Make sure to flash the powerhint module attached to this post via magisk manager if you haven´t already done so.
    Please note that this release is not for the QPR Beta firmware or dev preview, but the stable android 13 firmware!
    Please make use magisk stable if you don´t know your way around bugs and don´t want to actively help debugging magisk development.
    Latest platform tools have issues flashing super.img, please use platform tools 33.0.3 when updating your firmware

The kernel is made for stable A13 firmware, not beta.

Changelog:

- Linux-Stable bumped to 5.10.179
    - bump clang to 17.0.1 stable
    - bump f2fs-stable to latest
    - loads of improvements, bugfixes etc to memory management from latest linux main
    - improvements to memory management from 6.1 kernel common
    - improvements to MGLRU (check first post for more info about MGLRU)
    - updates/improvements to RCU from latest linux main
    - updates to lazy RCU from latest linux main
    - fixed screen-off max cpufreq restriction (thanks to @elesbb for making me aware)

Download:

Make sure to update and keep the powerhint module installed via Magisk Manager!

Update to Raviantha 2.0.0

Hey guys and girls,

So here´s the next update. It´s for stable Android 14 and it´s a really big update. It contains a lot of the changes I worked on during the previous months and I finally feel they are ready to be pushed.
    I´m short on time so here´s a brief writeup on the changes introduced.

EEVDF scheduler patches from latest linux are included. Have a read here. You can find more details here and also here. Alternatively use Google, there are a lot of resources. :)
    I tested this for a few months now. Since it´s merged to linux, it will be properly updated and tested for regressions in case there are any. That was what finally pushed me over the edge.
    The powerhint module was reworked. This results in less energy usage for various scenarious, scrolling in apps, watching videos, most games. (thereby also improves thermals within the boundaries of what's achievable on tensor/exynos ) This was achieved by "abusing" the PMU limiting feature from Google and expanding it with a switch that makes it work the opposite. The powerhint module was adjusted for all recent scheduler changes, such as EEVDF patches, scheduler updates from linux and the latest ones from 14 QPR Beta.
    Lockless slab shrinker was backported as well.
    There are a lot of other changes and patchsets for various subsystems, that should be mentioned as well, but I simply lack the time. For RCU, Maple tree, per-VMA locks etc etc.
    You can find them on the changelog and on my git if you´re interested.

Thanks to @Sultanxda this kernel is now build in a monolithic fashion. That means all drivers are compiled into the zImage. This means no more modules and vendor_dlkm does not need to be modified any longer, which in return means users won´t have to disable the avb flags for veritiy/verification any longer to be able to boot the kernel.
    However there´s something I want to keep everyone in mind. If you currently run with the flags disabled you might want to keep them disabled just like you did over the last months while updating. There´s the slight chance that kernel changes introduced by google in the future, changes to partition layout or undiscovered bugs will screw the monolithic build up. I tested it as best as I could and didn´t find any issues, but that´s just an advice I want to put out.

There are loads of other changes as well, but I don´t have enough time for a more detailed writeup.

Please make sure to delete the old module powerhint from magisk manager before flashing the new one.

Important:

Make sure to flash the powerhint module attached to this post via magisk manager if you haven´t already done so.
    Please note that this release is not for the QPR Beta firmware or dev preview, but the stable android 14 firmware!

The kernel is made for stable A14 firmware, not beta.

Changelog:

- Update kernel to Android 14
    - Retain all previous features and updates
    - Bump prebuilt clang to 17.0.4
    - Linux-Stable 5.10.197
    - EEVDF scheduler patches from latest linux-kernel
    - kernel is build in a monolithic fashion, thanks to @Sultanxda
    - latest f2fs-stable patches
    - lockless shrinkers
    - loads of improvements from latest linux to mm subsystem
    - latest updates/fixes to maple tree
    - scheduler improvements from latest linux
    - scheduler improvements from QPR 14 beta
    - improvements/fixes to RCU subsystem
    - improvements to QoS from @Sultanxda
    - improved IRQ balancing, thanks to @Sultanxda
    - improvements to GPU driver performance from QPR beta
    - lockless slab shrinker
    - unify powerhint module for panther and cheetah (please delete the old powerhint module before flashing the new one)
    - rework powerhint module to account for all changes
    - rework powerhint module to reduce energy usage
    - more changes please look at my github

Download:

Delete the old powerhint module in Magisk Manager before flashing the new one as the Module ID changes!