• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[KERNEL][3.1.10][EXPERIMENTAL][[email protected]|OV|SmartAssV2] Aquaria Kernel for Nexus 7

Search This thread

bpye

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 8, 2010
I do not yet have a Nexus 7 to test this with. You use this at your own risk!

This is the first real kernel work I've done, so don't be surprised if it doesn't work. I've only provided a boot.img as fastboot is easy enough to use on the Nexus 7.

Features (If it works):
CPU OC to 1.7GHz maximum
CPU over volt to hopefully reach 1.7GHz
GPU OC to 600MHz
Simple IO scheduler
SmartAssV2 CPU governor

The boot.img is attached. Source can be found at my github.

If anyone here has a Nexus 7 it would be very helpful to know if it works. I should have mine soon though. If it works well, enjoy. Feedback is always welcomed, as are benchmarks. Thanks.

Removed link until fixed!

Last edited:

Cel1084

Dec 7, 2009
This is scary looking, an untested Overclock that's never been run on the hardware before.

bpye

Oct 8, 2010
I'm guessing that the T30L is just a speed binned T30 and as such this shouldn't damage it. The same overvolt (and higher) has been successful on the T30 to get even higher clocks (1.8GHz). I would test this given hardware, however I don't yet have my Nexus 7.

Last edited:

danielsf

Oct 29, 2010
Hull
I'm guessing that the T30L is just a speed binned T30 and as such this shouldn't damage it. The same overvolt (and higher) has been successful on the T30 to get even higher clocks (1.8GHz). I would test this given hardware, however I don't yet have my Nexus 7.

This sounds interesting. Especially the 600mhz gpu OC but may I ask if you are thinking of implementing some kind of app interface to control gpu clock and voltages etc like Extweeks on google play please? :) As I am guessing a lot of people won't be able to go to 600mhz stably, so a way to change the OC to something like 520mhz (to bring it to T30 speed) would be a good option :)

Last edited:

bpye

Oct 8, 2010
I've seen voltage tweaks controlled from userspace on other devices but not the GPU clock. I'd like to get it working first, then I guess I'll look at such things, especially if there is interest.

Reactions: danielsf

breakingspell

Dec 1, 2010
I don't even have my Nexus yet, and i'm already downloading things to flash to it, hahah. Will report back once Google ships to the US!

bpye

Oct 8, 2010
The CPU clock should be controllable, and I'm working on making the overvolt controllable. The GPU clock is not yet controllable, and I'm not so sure where to start on that.

bpye

Oct 8, 2010
Right, here's the thing. I've spoofed the SoC speedo ID to be that of the standard T30, however, without looking through with a fine tooth comb, it seems that the top that that id goes is 600MHz. In usage, it may be 520MHz, but I'm not sure. In addition I'm fairly sure these are just speed binned, and can probably run at the higher clocks if we just add a bit more voltage, or they get a little hotter. If anyone can tell me if this actually works, then I can adjust either way.

Look at tegra3_dvfs.c, line 256-262. It seems to indicate a maximum of 600MHz.

Last edited:

bpye

Oct 8, 2010
Thanks but I already have access to NVidia's Tegra portal, which includes the TRM for Tegra 2 and Tegra 3. I'm hoping I shouldn't have to mess with it that low level :)

Reactions: danielsf
T

_thalamus

I don't understand why anyone would want to overclock a Tegra3, which is plenty fast enough already, especially when they have never even touched the device.

Also, I don't understand why anyone with any sense would use Simple IO scheduler, which has a higher latency and lower throughput than deadline, or even the bloat that is CFQ for that matter.

And finally, I don't understand why any real 'developer' would release something like this without testing it, especially with possibly dangerous overclocking and overvoltage settings. Only on XDA...

With all due respect, you should remove it until you have tested it *yourself* and confirmed that it doesn't make your Nexus 7 vanish in a cloud of smoke.

bpye

Oct 8, 2010
I don't understand why anyone would want to overclock a Tegra3, which is plenty fast enough already, especially when they have never even touched the device.

Also, I don't understand why anyone with any sense would use Simple IO scheduler, which has a higher latency and lower throughput than deadline, or even the bloat that is CFQ for that matter.

And finally, I don't understand why any real 'developer' would release something like this without testing it, especially with possibly dangerous overclocking and overvoltage settings. Only on XDA...

With all due respect, you should remove it until you have tested it *yourself* and confirmed that it doesn't make your Nexus 7 vanish in a cloud of smoke.

Our Tegra 3 CPU is a lower clock version that the normal T30, it's the T30L. I have no doubt that this will not damage your device, the voltages used are still less than used by some TF201 ROMs (the TF201 uses the T30). I included Simple IO scheduler since it is something that seems popular, latency isn't the only thing that matters (read http://www.vincentkong.com/wiki/-/w...42041E#section-Android+IO+Schedulers-Deadline). I have seen benchmarks that show both SIO and deadline as better than each other, it depends what metric you record. I didn't remove CFQ, it's not that I've added it. The scheduler can be changed if you so desire anyway.

I have not provided a simple flash package and I've clearly stated in red writing that this is UNTESTED. I do not have the device, and it is yes untested however I didn't see the point on keeping something potentially useful private. If you have the knowledge to use fastboot to flash a boot.img, you probably know how to flash back the old one too.

Last edited:

foxorroxors

Apr 29, 2012
Newmarket

seriously harsh man, just because you don't understand doesn't mean its wrong, or right for that matter

T

_thalamus

Our Tegra 3 CPU is a lower clock version that the normal T30, it's the T30L.

I take it you understand why similar chips are rated at various speeds for different devices? Because they are designed with a lower thermal output and / or the cooling characteristics / power characteristics of the device are different. The T30L has lower speed apps processors, lower speed GPU and lower speed memory. All in all, it will pump out much less heat than a T30.

I have no doubt that this will not damage your device, the voltages used are still less than used by some TF201 ROMs (the TF201 uses the T30).

You don't *know* that it won't damage someones device, you are assuming that it won't. The likelihood is that it probably won't, but would you stake your life on it? I wouldn't, and I've been doing Android kernel development for some time.
Also, this isn't the TF201, and it isn't the T30. It is a different device with different thermal characteristics and a different SoC, you can't compare them like that.

I included Simple IO scheduler since it is something that seems popular, latency isn't the only thing that matters

Latency of reads and writes and throughput are the only 2 things which matter (and I mentioned both), and SIO is poor at both of them. Justin Bieber is popular, but he's still ****, so including something which is popular isn't really a good reason.

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

seriously harsh man, just because you don't understand doesn't mean its wrong, or right for that matter

Harsh perhaps, but I prefer honest. Necessary, most certainly.

It is stupid and irresponsible to release something which is untested and potentially dangerous as it isn't fair on the poor muppet that flashes it and then f**ks their device up.

It has only been released because some 'developer' wants to make his epenis bigger by releasing something for a brand new device on XDA. Not that I am saying that he is the only one, there's plenty of others that do it, but as I have one of these on order I am taking an interest in these threads and was quite surprised with what I saw.

As someone who has done kernel development for some time now, I would never dream of releasing something I haven't tested thoroughly myself, or which I have got a trusted tester to thoroughly test, but hey, this is XDA and the standards are low.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Our Tegra 3 CPU is a lower clock version that the normal T30, it's the T30L. I have no doubt that this will not damage your device, the voltages used are still less than used by some TF201 ROMs (the TF201 uses the T30). I included Simple IO scheduler since it is something that seems popular, latency isn't the only thing that matters (read http://www.vincentkong.com/wiki/-/w...42041E#section-Android+IO+Schedulers-Deadline). I have seen benchmarks that show both SIO and deadline as better than each other, it depends what metric you record. I didn't remove CFQ, it's not that I've added it. The scheduler can be changed if you so desire anyway.

I have not provided a simple flash package and I've clearly stated in red writing that this is UNTESTED. I do not have the device, and it is yes untested however I didn't see the point on keeping something potentially useful private. If you have the knowledge to use fastboot to flash a boot.img, you probably know how to flash back the old one too.
    I take it you understand why similar chips are rated at various speeds for different devices? Because they are designed with a lower thermal output and / or the cooling characteristics / power characteristics of the device are different. The T30L has lower speed apps processors, lower speed GPU and lower speed memory. All in all, it will pump out much less heat than a T30.

I'm going on the basis that they are likely just binned versions of the same chip, I've seen it happen often, and due to their similar part numbers, it wouldn't surprise me. Likelihood is they are the same silicon, but I know, I cannot guarantee that.

You don't *know* that it won't damage someones device, you are assuming that it won't. The likelihood is that it probably won't, but would you stake your life on it? I wouldn't, and I've been doing Android kernel development for some time.
    Also, this isn't the TF201, and it isn't the T30. It is a different device with different thermal characteristics and a different SoC, you can't compare them like that.

As I said above, I know it isn't exactly a T30, but the partnumbers are very close, it's either a low power version or a speed binned part, with my betting on the later as it has a lower clock and the device is cheap. This means it should handle the higher voltages just fine.

Latency of reads and writes and throughput are the only 2 things which matter (and I mentioned both), and SIO is poor at both of them. Justin Bieber is popular, but he's still ****, so including something which is popular isn't really a good reason.

I've seen benchmarks to support both. SIO is also generally quite good on Android devices in generally due to them using flash memory. Didn't say you had to use it anyway. (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1176334 is one such benchmark I can find, not saying it's scientifically accurate)

Harsh perhaps, but I prefer honest. Necessary, most certainly.

It is stupid and irresponsible to release something which is untested and potentially dangerous as it isn't fair on the poor muppet that flashes it and then f**ks their device up.

It has only been released because some 'developer' wants to make his epenis bigger by releasing something for a brand new device on XDA. Not that I am saying that he is the only one, there's plenty of others that do it, but as I have one of these on order I am taking an interest in these threads and was quite surprised with what I saw.

I'm releasing this because I'm hoping that someone who knows what they are doing can try it. I ordered a Nexus 7 early on, and I will personally test it soon after I get it. The few that have the device so far are likely developers regardless and would have got theirs from Google I/O. I'm not doing this "to make [my] epenis bigger" but to try and do something of value. I tried to find someone to test it before releasing it, but to no avail. This wasn't preferred, but it seemed better than keeping it to myself for the weeks in which I don't have a device. I have also made it clear that it is experimental and untested, if anyone decides to flash it, they should damn well know it's not necessarily going to work.

As someone who has done kernel development for some time now, I would never dream of releasing something I haven't tested thoroughly myself, or which I have got a trusted tester to thoroughly test, but hey, this is XDA and the standards are low.

The people who have the devices already are mostly developers or reviews, they aren't inexperienced. A lot of things on XDA have the potential to **** up your device, flashing a radio or such always has that chance. This if it screws up, wouldn't even be that bad. It should at most cause the device not to boot, oh damn. I'll have to reflash boot.img, it's hardly a big deal. The chances of frying the CPU when the stock voltages for the T30L are the same as the T30, and I'm going no higher than T30 tested voltages is damn unlikely; in addition things generally lock up first anyway.

ben1066 just out of curiosity may I ask how the gpu scales frequencies on the Tegra 3 t30l please? As I am used to the galaxy s2 and s3 where you have numerous frequency steps like 166mhz, 260mhz, 350mhz and 440mhz and you have an up and down threshold to govern whether you jump up or down the available frequencies, is this similar to how the gpu in works on the tegra 3 please?
    Also when you say overclock the gpu, is it replacing 416mhz with 600mhz or is it adding an extra gpu frequency step after 416mhz, so 416mhz is still available to be used if needed? Sorry one last question, if the gpu does have frequency steps like other gpus, what ones are available for use please?

I am sorry to ask, I am just so curious about these questions, and I can't find them anywhere on the internet, so any help would be greatly appreciated. :) Thank you so much :)

It adds more steps, however I am not sure how well the performance scales.
    I do not yet have a Nexus 7 to test this with. You use this at your own risk!

This is the first real kernel work I've done, so don't be surprised if it doesn't work. I've only provided a boot.img as fastboot is easy enough to use on the Nexus 7.

Features (If it works):
    CPU OC to 1.7GHz maximum
    CPU over volt to hopefully reach 1.7GHz
    GPU OC to 600MHz
    Simple IO scheduler
    SmartAssV2 CPU governor

The boot.img is attached. Source can be found at my github.

If anyone here has a Nexus 7 it would be very helpful to know if it works. I should have mine soon though. If it works well, enjoy. Feedback is always welcomed, as are benchmarks. Thanks.

Removed link until fixed!
    I've seen voltage tweaks controlled from userspace on other devices but not the GPU clock. I'd like to get it working first, then I guess I'll look at such things, especially if there is interest.
    This should be helpful to you. tegra3 technical reference manual. everything there is to know about all variants of the chip. how it works, what its capable of, schematics, diagrams, chip layout, etc,,

http://db.tt/vWWou2Fu