• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[KERNEL][3.x][dev] Nook Color ICS/CM9 kernel development

Search This thread

krylon360

Retired Recognized Developer
May 10, 2010
Provo
www.teamwhiskey.com
I guess we should wait a few days then :)

I've already coded it. Just need to resolve a make error due the kernel and hopefully we'll have audio

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

EDIT: OHAI THERE!

Install: out/target/product/encore/system/lib/hw/audio.primary.omap3.so

Last edited:

deeper-blue

Nov 28, 2010
somewhere in good ol' Germany
I've already coded it. Just need to resolve a make error due the kernel and hopefully we'll have audio

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

EDIT: OHAI THERE!

Install: out/target/product/encore/system/lib/hw/audio.primary.omap3.so

Awesome!
Also good news that there will be sound in omapzoom source soon.

I guess we have to fix this weird touchscreen/timing stuff next.

krylon360

Retired Recognized Developer
May 10, 2010
Provo
www.teamwhiskey.com
Keyodi,

Something is up with the current source on git for the kernel. Boots to backlit screen. doesnt init so not able to get to logcat.

Thought maybe it was a ramdisk issue, so used the one from last month before fattire pushed audio stuff.

still no go.

Since you have a booting kernel, try these audio drivers I built last night.

http://krylon360.com/file_host/nook_drivers/lib/

keyodi

Feb 3, 2011
We have sound!!!

I just got sound working...I pushed all the changes so we at least have the source, but the codec needs to be cleaned up a little and I still need to compare the current source w/ the .32 to make sure we're not missing anything.

The legacy audio (BOARD_USES_AUDIO_LEGACY := true), also needs to be enabled in the BoardConfig in order for audio to work.

Last edited:

fattire

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 11, 2010
www.eff.org
This is quite awesome.

Here's some amazing things that have happened today:

* jellybean has been built by krylon360 from AOSP and he's testing it out. I'm doing the same with the cm10 repo. I've already created some jellybean branches in the device_repo and I'll push that.

* epsylon3 has a module for defy that allow full video/omx stuff to work on omap3. It's for the .32 kernel and it may be a fast way to get omx using the old kernel. nemith has expressed interest if no one else wants to try it.

* I started a 3.4 kernel port and got it to build. it's a mess so I want to start over at some point. I haven't tried it, I know it won't work and I lost all my microUSB cables for the moment.

* oh, and keyodi has sound working in 3.0!!!

Holy crap!

deeper-blue

Nov 28, 2010
somewhere in good ol' Germany
This is quite awesome.

* jellybean has been built by krylon360 from AOSP and he's testing it out. I'm doing the same with the cm10 repo. I've already created some jellybean branches in the device_repo and I'll push that.

* epsylon3 has a module for defy that allow full video/omx stuff to work on omap3. It's for the .32 kernel and it may be a fast way to get omx using the old kernel. nemith has expressed interest if no one else wants to try it.

* I started a 3.4 kernel port and got it to build. it's a mess so I want to start over at some point. I haven't tried it, I know it won't work and I lost all my microUSB cables for the moment.

Holy crap!

Sound on 3.0, omx for the old kernel - pretty sweet news!
Looks like I can lean back ;)

slider2828

Jul 19, 2010
Do you guys know if it will be compatible to upnp? I am trying to get CM9 to work with my NAS and still it won't recognize my NAS. Is it a multi-cast problem?

How's it looking? I'm about to try to make some aokp goodness 4.2.2

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Ummmmmmmmmmm we do NOT need a AOKP for the nook IMHO. We got enough builds. Did you want to help the other developers up in the IRC #nookcolor at freenode.net forums for me? You can look over this module for the USB host mode that we need. Unless others think differently, you could help the developers in other ways for the nook color. :)

Do not mean to be mean or anything, we tried that AOKP route on the ICS android 4.0 for the nook and had problems with buggy builds that could barely run on the nook color. Do you know how to debug?

Last edited:

Kaptinkrunk

Feb 20, 2012
GastesOfHell
Ummmmmmmmmmm we do NOT need a AOKP for the nook IMHO. We got enough builds. Did you want to help the other developers up in the IRC #nookcolor at freenode.net forums for me? You can look over this module for the USB host mode that we need. Unless others think differently, you could help the developers in other ways for the nook color. :)

Do not mean to be mean or anything, we tried that AOKP route on the ICS android 4.0 for the nook and had problems with buggy builds that could barely run on the nook color. Do you know how to debug?

i know nothing other then how to use em lol i was trying to port a 4.1.2 aokp over but failed like 50 times gave up several times lol only help i can do really is test :(

dont get me wrong cm is good **** but idk ive always like aokp for some reason idk about this 4.2.2 yet its growing on me tho as long as it has the 4.1 toggles... lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is quite awesome.

Holy crap!
    This thread is for development of a long-discussed 3.x kernel for encore/nookcolor. The goal is not only to have a modern kernel, but to take advantage of the expected support for hardware accelerated video and such.

TI has released an incomplete 3.x branch which is now being used as a base. The project so far has been about getting stuff ready and working so that as more source comes into omapzoom, it can be readily incorporated into our kernel.

keyodi (with some contributions from me, but mostly keyodi, so thank him below) has been doing the work thusfar for a few days, and there is now a VERY buggy build up-and-running. But since there has been so much discussion in the other cm9 dev thread, we felt maybe moving it here would be a good idea.

Current status:
    (updated 5/27/12)

• it boots up
    • accel 2d graphics work
    • mounting read/writing internal & external SD card
    • touchscreen (updated 3.4 driver) works but "stutters" (see below)
    • bluetooth works
    • adb works
    • no wifi wifi!
    • accelerometer works
    • charger not recognized on boot.
    • random restarts when sleeping
    • general sleep issues (pwr_core doesn't enter sleep)
    • no sound
    • weirdness where touchscreen is responsive only in short bursts.
    • no hardware accelerated video (no source for it)

Userland-wise, OMAP_ENHANCEMENT support needs to be added back into ICS, but that's beyond the scope of this thread.

Devs are invited to help. Anyone else should probably stay away, as this is buggy as hell.

To Build:

Add the following local_manifest.xml to ~/android/system/.repo:

--------------------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <manifest>

<remote name = "gh"
    fetch="git://github.com/" />

<remove-project name="CyanogenMod/android_hardware_ti_omap3" />

<project path="device/bn/encore"
    name="fat-tire/android_device_bn_encore"
    remote="gh"
    revision="ics-3.0"/>

<project path="kernel/bn/encore"
    name="keyodi/ti-omap-encore-kernel3"
    remote="gh"
    revision="encore-omap3-3"/>

<project name="platform/hardware/ti/omap3" remote="oz" path="hardware/ti/omap3" revision="ics-mr1" />

</manifest>

--------------------
    Then repo sync, and then re-build (doing a make clobber may not be a bad idea to pick up changes to the BoardConfig.mk file). Changes were made to the device on its own branch to turn off audio for now. Also the kernel, using the cm9 conventions, is built along with the rest of CM9.

Try at your own risk. It is truly an unusable, barely completed result at the moment. Kernel devs, meet up on irc.

Also see the NookTablet (OMAP4, but lots of similar hardware) 3.x thread here as well as hashcode's Kindle Fire (OMAP4 also, but with 512MB) 3.x kernel thread here.
    We have sound!!!

I just got sound working...I pushed all the changes so we at least have the source, but the codec needs to be cleaned up a little and I still need to compare the current source w/ the .32 to make sure we're not missing anything.

The legacy audio (BOARD_USES_AUDIO_LEGACY := true), also needs to be enabled in the BoardConfig in order for audio to work.
    Okay, another brief update:

1. rebuilt w/linaro 4.7 & 3.0 kernel using slightly different cflags.
    2. it got stuck again on netd.
    3. I straced to see where it was getting stuck. replaced libjpeg.so with a recent nightly.
    4. It boots!

Update: I think I need to redo this. I'm not 100% sure which compiler it used actually.. Update #2-- Hmm, no I actually suspect I did it right. but jic I'm gonna rebuild and try it again.

Here's what I used. Hopefully it still picked up the -O3 stuff, though i wasn't looking while it was building.

Code:
    -TARGET_GLOBAL_CFLAGS += -mtune=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp 
    -TARGET_GLOBAL_CPPFLAGS += -mtune=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp 
    +TARGET_GLOBAL_CFLAGS += -mtune=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp
    +TARGET_GLOBAL_CPPFLAGS += -mtune=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp
    +TARGET_arm_CFLAGS   := -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -fstrict-aliasing -funswitch-loops \
    +                       -fmodulo-sched -fmodulo-sched-allow-regmoves
    +TARGET_thumb_CFLAGS :=  -mthumb \
    +                        -Os \
    +                        -fomit-frame-pointer \
    +                        -fstrict-aliasing
    +TARGET_TOOLS_PREFIX=/home/fattire/Development/linaro/android-toolchain-eabi-4.7/bin/arm-linux-androideabi-
     TARGET_BOOTLOADER_BOARD_NAME := encore
     TARGET_PROVIDES_INIT_TARGET_RC := true
     TARGET_USERIMAGES_USE_EXT4 := true
    +CROSS_COMPILE=~/Development/arm-2010q1/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-

Looks like the kernel modules didn't load for some reason, so no wifi so I can't test quadrant or anything. Just wanted to update in case anyone was following along.