[kernel][6.0.1] leanKernel v1.8 (6/24/16)

Search This thread

Imoseyon

Recognized Developer
Dec 21, 2010
Mountain View, CA
leanKernel is not for everyone.

My philosophy is to keep the kernel footprint as small as possible by trimming as much fat as possible, and at the same time keeping it stable, power efficient, and fast. leanKernel is designed to be a drop in replacement for stock kernel, and so it tries not to deviate too far from stock.

You will find that it's lacking some of the bells and whistles of other custom kernels, so if you like features you came to the wrong thread. :)

Here's a longer post on what leanKernel is about.

DOWNLOAD (flash in recovery)

PREREQUISITE
Unlocked bootloader, custom recovery installed, rooted (if lkconfig is needed)

FEATURES
  • updated to latest 3.10 Linux
  • interactiveX - screen_off_maxfreq support (governor name was not changed from interactive)
  • compile optimized for cortex-a57/a53 and other gcc 4.9 optimizations. (toolchain: sabermod)
  • various performance/stability optimizations
  • fat trimmed by removing unnecessary components/features
  • force encryption turned off (changed to encryptable), /system verification disabled
  • lkconfig (lk) script for customizing leankernel (see below)
  • kcal color control (thanks to @savoca)
  • random generation optimization including e/frandom support, no need to tweak entropy
  • cherry-picked commits from CAF repo
  • wakelock control (wlan_rx)
  • display cpu voltages via sysfs (via compatible apps)
  • replaced deadline i/o scheduler with sioplus
  • a53/a57 overclock frequences (enable via lkconfig)
  • more to come!

lkconfig
Open terminal app, disable "Verify PATH entries" in setting, become superuser, then type "lkconfig" (or "lk") without quotes
Code:
[email protected]:/ $ su
[email protected]:/ # lk

leanKernel configurator
---
0) display current settings

1) wake gesture control
2) wakelock control
3) rgb/picture control
4) interactiveX control
5) cpu overclock control

21) check top 10 wake locks (ie. wakeup sources)

please enter a number (or press enter to exit):

Push bullet channel: imoseyon

source: https://github.com/imoseyon/leanKernel-angler

Last edited:

Imoseyon

Recognized Developer
Dec 21, 2010
Mountain View, CA
Great to see you here imoseyon.

Eagerly awaiting source code release, or any ideas you have on how to govern this 810 for battery and responsiveness.

Also, did you see the reddit r/nexus6p posts on the Google kernel commit that introduced washed-out blacks when hardware decoding video?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus6P/comments/3rljrq/ucoolbho3k_found_the_commit_causing_the_washed/

Thanks for that - I just read it. If there's anyone that can reproduce this issue, I'd be happy to put up a test build with either the offending commit reverted or fixed (if I have time to analyze the code).

Ofthecats

Jun 18, 2013
Wonderful to have you here! I used your kernels years ago, and still use your virtual memory settings. Looking forward to trying your work out

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    leanKernel is not for everyone.

My philosophy is to keep the kernel footprint as small as possible by trimming as much fat as possible, and at the same time keeping it stable, power efficient, and fast. leanKernel is designed to be a drop in replacement for stock kernel, and so it tries not to deviate too far from stock.

You will find that it's lacking some of the bells and whistles of other custom kernels, so if you like features you came to the wrong thread. :)

Here's a longer post on what leanKernel is about.

DOWNLOAD (flash in recovery)

PREREQUISITE
    Unlocked bootloader, custom recovery installed, rooted (if lkconfig is needed)

FEATURES
    • updated to latest 3.10 Linux
    • interactiveX - screen_off_maxfreq support (governor name was not changed from interactive)
    • compile optimized for cortex-a57/a53 and other gcc 4.9 optimizations. (toolchain: sabermod)
    • various performance/stability optimizations
    • fat trimmed by removing unnecessary components/features
    • force encryption turned off (changed to encryptable), /system verification disabled
    • lkconfig (lk) script for customizing leankernel (see below)
    • kcal color control (thanks to @savoca)
    • random generation optimization including e/frandom support, no need to tweak entropy
    • cherry-picked commits from CAF repo
    • wakelock control (wlan_rx)
    • display cpu voltages via sysfs (via compatible apps)
    • replaced deadline i/o scheduler with sioplus
    • a53/a57 overclock frequences (enable via lkconfig)
    • more to come!

lkconfig
    Open terminal app, disable "Verify PATH entries" in setting, become superuser, then type "lkconfig" (or "lk") without quotes
    Code:
    [email protected]:/ $ su
    [email protected]:/ # lk

leanKernel configurator
    ---
    0) display current settings

1) wake gesture control
    2) wakelock control
    3) rgb/picture control
    4) interactiveX control
    5) cpu overclock control

21) check top 10 wake locks (ie. wakeup sources)

please enter a number (or press enter to exit):

Push bullet channel: imoseyon

source: https://github.com/imoseyon/leanKernel-angler
    I'm sorry for completely being MIA guys. I had some major personal issues which prevented me from spending time on kernel development.

I'm not 100% back yet, but I did spend some time on the v1.7 update: https://github.com/imoseyon/leanKernel-angler/releases/tag/v1.7

I tried the stock kernel that came with mtc19v and I hated it. Hopefully leanKernel is better than stock haha. I haven't even tried the N-preview yet. Enjoy guys...
    Hey guys!!!

I apologize for completely being AWOL. :( I've been terribly busy with personal life and work.

I keep saying to myself that I'll come back when I have a decent Nougat leanKernel, but the truth of the matter is that I just haven't had time to produce anything good. I tried for a couple of days and the end result was a very unstable alpha (at least to my standards). And then I haven't had a chance to try again.

I am coming back at some point in the near future, but I think what it may end up being is a leanKernel lite, something very close to stock. See you guys soon, hopefully!
    v1.5 is up:

https://github.com/imoseyon/leanKernel-angler/releases/tag/v1.5

I also added an option to clean up memory and hotboot OS in lkconfig. I noticed that there seems to be some sort of memory leak/bloat in marshmallow that appears to manifest after 3-4 days of continuous usage without reboot. The lkconfig option should help with that without having to cold boot the phone.
    v1.6.1 is up: https://github.com/imoseyon/leanKernel-angler/releases/tag/v1.6.1

Sorry for the delay guys. Both the standard and CM builds are on github now (above link).

EDIT: microphone issue fixed now in v1.6.1
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone